A week = 1 day.

A skeptical look at medical practices
JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

A week = 1 day.

Postby JO 753 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:42 am

For several months now I'v only been eating solid food on Saturday, Sunday & Wenzday.

Monday, Toozday, Thurzday & Friday I hav a shake for brekfast and only fluidz and a little chocolate for the rest uv the day. I went from around 195 down to 180 within a few weeks and stabilized there.

The idea that got me on this wuz that weeks are passing by at a rapid clip now that I'm 56, feeling like a day used to feel. So, maybe I shoud ajust my food sycle to match. Less wear & tear on the dijestion. Less free radicalz corroding everything. Less time cooking. Less time sitting on the can. Less money spent on food & toilet paper.

I am also exersizing more.

Sins I havent wasted away to nothing, it meanz my metabolizm wuz working hard to dispoze uv exess caloryz befor and 15 - 20 poundz wuz fat and food being prosessed in my guts. I feel better all around. The spring haz returned to my step. I dont get hungry very often and wen I do, I just do sum squats or hoist the dumbellz and it goez away. I'm starting to see a hint uv abz! I realize now that I'd been slowly turning into a marshmellow all theze yirz.

So its like Saturday iz dinner, Sunday iz brekfast, Wenzday iz lunch. Monday & Toozday are the morning. Thurzday & Friday are the afternoon. The shakes and drinks & chocolate are just snaks to tide me over.

A big side benefit iz that I appreciate wut I'm eating more. It tastes better and its sumthing to look forward to rather than just wut I'm cramming into my gob wile gazing at the TV.

I'm thinking this iz more in tune with wut evolution adapted us to. That its normal for us to not hav food every day, and our modern lifestyle uv gobbling calory rich food 3 timez a day frum cradle to grave iz wuts cauzing alot uv the obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular trouble.
WUT 1 MaN RiTS, U TRILYN MA RED OVR U MILYN SeNCUREZ.
http://www.nooalf.com

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: A week = 1 day.

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:02 am

What specifically are you drinking? I've often thought of doing that for the time savings as you noted. My own research shows that a liquid diet can be quite easy, cheap, and nearly complete. Its as easy as a glass of milk with a raw egg in it. Add a multi-vitamin if you feel the need. The nutrition profile of this mix matches many of the far more expensive Protein Shakes and meal replacement drinks.

Of interest, I was just diagnosed as low in Vitamin D. The doc is just giving a supplement without even questioning "why" i'm low. I don't get out in the sun much anymore but I do drink whole milk two gallons a month and two dozen eggs. both high in Vit D....so why aren't I. Just started the google...seems there are underlying conditions that will decrease the Vit D that leads to diffiency diseases. Don't know if just hiding the symptom actually cures anything???

Medicine: so many unknowns.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Golden Spiral Trump

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:33 am

It sounds similar to the 5:2 diet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5:2_diet

The 5:2 diet, or fast diet, is a diet which stipulates calorie restriction for two non-consecutive days a week and unconstrained eating the other five days. A form of intermittent fasting, it originated and became popular in the UK, and spread in Europe and to the USA.

Proponents of the diet claim it causes weight loss and has some beneficial effects on health; however these claims are not supported by high-quality evidence.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:11 am

JO... so is that dogfood part of your solid meals, or have you found a way to liquefy it in order to liquidize it? :puppy:

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:02 am

Nope. No dog chow. I ate 1 bit uv that many yirz ago just to see how bad it tastes. Not good, but not so horrible that youd barf. I'v tasted worse peepl food at resturants.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:What specifically are you drinking?

Not far off wut you rote: Milk, 1 banana, 1 egg, weat jerm, Carnation'z Instant Brekfast chocolate, Ovaltine. Total iz 24 ounsez, I figure around 800 caloriez. I also take a multivitamin occasionaly, not every day.

Of interest, I was just diagnosed as low in Vitamin D.

Do you feel any effect?

Gord - I think 1 day off iznt enuf for your system to clear out the food thats being prosessed. And I'm wondering if the part uv our metabolic system that aksesez the caloriez stored az fat starts to atrofy if it never gets uzed.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:46 am

Unless you are doing it for taste or an identified nutrient...I'd use cocoa for the chocolate drink and skip the ovaltine and skip the wheat germ==just to make it quicker, easier, and cheaper. Bet the overall meal is about the same. I've started putting frozen banana's in lots of food I didn't use to. My liquid meal replacement actually grew out of making "Frozen Brandy Alexanders" and other drinks with milk or cream. I just used frozen milk ice cubes in my Vita Mix. The booze is good at night and makes a smoother drink. Bananas also help to oil the cubes breaking up....I like a dash of vanilla as well...even when making a chocolate one. I actually have been using them as a meal replacement....late at night when I don't feel like making a sandwich or heating up left overs.

Actually....half the milk I use in such drinks is home made yogurt--I use my slow cooker and use half a container of store bought Greek Yogurt to one gallon of milk and 12 hours in the crock pot for all the yogurt I want. I keep 1/3 as yogurt, 1/3 as frozen like ice cream, and 1/3 over cheese cloth to make a nice cream cheese....with all those pro-biotics.

I don't know how long I've been Vitamin Deficient but I feel great. Google says Vit D deficiency does things like reduce bone mass and other things I don't think is easy to feel....until something bad happens.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:29 pm

JO 753 wrote:Gord - I think 1 day off iznt enuf for your system to clear out the food thats being prosessed. And I'm wondering if the part uv our metabolic system that aksesez the caloriez stored az fat starts to atrofy if it never gets uzed.

It's two days a week.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:17 pm

But they are non consecutive.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:27 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Unless you are doing it for taste

It duz taste great. Without that motivation, I probably woudnt hav the will power to maintain this schedule.

Its been forever sins I had good cheez cake. The stuff frum the store iz bland and the graham cracker crust haz hydrojenated oil. Your cream cheez resipe soundz simple to do, so I think I'm going to try it.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:45 pm

On vitamin D

I recommend you try to get into the sun more. Dietary vitamin D is not as good, and it is difficult to absorb through the gut. 20 minutes a day in sun will do the job. In addition, it appears that sunlight on human skin does more than just vitamin D. For example, it causes nitric oxide manufacture. This is a signalling chemical, that among other things, causes vessels to dilate, lowering blood pressure.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:07 pm

Lance: thanks for that. It was in the back of my mind and casually thinking it would take too much time. But 20 minues...I could take the long way to the mailbox in the nude every day and get 'er done? Doctors = Pill Pushers. I much prefer your naturalistic suggestion as exposure to sun light does have other benefits. I'll google and confirm...and check if the 20 minutes really is semi-nude? Just the face and arms seems like a limited exposure. THEN...re Pyrho...got to cover the eyes to protect against cataracts.

Sonagun if it ain't Pros and Cons to all we do.

Jo: I make crustless cheesecake in cupcake molds....but I prefer using Cheese Its as my crust. NOW===you've made me put check for hydrogenation on the label. Whateve happens, I'm sure there are hydrogenated free baked products out there to substitute....and right now I'm thinking maybe a nut based crust based on cashews???

I call this all FITK: Fun In the Kitchen.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:20 pm

Bobbo

The semi-nude thing is kinda unnecessary. A little bare skin, sure, but only what is decent, and not so much as to risk hypothermia. 20 minutes of the limited exposure is fine. If you have fair skin, you do not need a tremendous lot of sun. The biggest problem is dark skinned people during the northern winter, at high latitudes. They cannot get enough sun.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:47 pm

Well...private back yard is in total shade. Front yard has sun but 5 close neighbors. I would not distress my community by going shirtless...but maybe...go to the community pool. No one uses it....I could be all alone and in a swim suit.

Hmmmm...doc gave me "special vit D pills" to take one per week for a month then transition to a one a day, I assume multi-vitamin. I'm going to ask her if how many minutes per day of face and arm exposure would do as a substitute... then full body by the pool if any better. All docs take offense even at neutral questions like that. Professionals. What good is 8 years of training if you keep what you know a secret?

TJrandom
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:42 pm

Bobbo - I take a daily 5mg D supplement and once a month take Bonoteo (Minodronic Acid) – maybe RECALBON in the US. Minodronic acid hydrate is an oral bisphosphonate that increases the bone mineral density and the strength by inhibiting osteoclastic bone resorption. (Whatever that means.)

I took a bone density MRI and had the results compared against a similar population profile, and found that I was headed for bone problems if not treated. This – even though I get lots of sun exposure, do lots of physical activity, and eat tones of calcium in fish and vegies.

If you haven’t been bone density tested, you should ask your doctor about it.
Last edited by TJrandom on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:43 pm

This is why I love the Internet:

By Dr. Mercola

Vitamin D deficiency is incredibly common in the US, but many Americans mistakenly believe they aren't at risk because they consume vitamin-D-fortified foods (such as milk).

There are very few foods that actually have therapeutic levels of vitamin D naturally and even fortified foods do not contain enough vitamin D to support your health needs.

Despite its name, vitamin D is not a regular vitamin. It's actually a steroid hormone that you are designed to obtain primarily through sun exposure, not via your diet.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... ptoms.aspx

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:50 pm

TJ--good info. I think I have skinny bones to begin with...and as per my just posted...I thought my diet was healthy enough to avoid such things as vitamin deficiencies. I don't have "seasonal affective disorder" and I've laughed as my skin is so white now I can get face burned if in the sun for too long. As a teen...I was tanned enough that burning was never an issue. Ha, ha.....I feel like a piece of fish left on the drain board turning white as all my blood drains out (just an analogy...but I'm WHITE I tells ya!!)

Reminds me of a complaint we received bout one of our docs charging too much for a bone scan interpretation...so I met with him and asked him about it. Yes, yes...all part of his skills and training....nothing to see here. Don't know if it has changed or if there are various tests, but back then there was only one "bone density test result" and it was a number from 0 to 10. 0 meant you weren't on the table, and 10 meant the sensor was too close to the table...when you weren't on it. forget how that was resolved.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:41 am

As good skeptics, we also need to be skeptical of doctors. Much of the time they do not know what they are talking about, either. Always good to double check. The internet is good for this. I would suggest TJ take a good look at the medication prescribed for him. I am not saying anything is wrong with it. Just that double checking is a very good policy.

TJrandom
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:00 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:TJ--good info. I think I have skinny bones to begin with...and as per my just posted...I thought my diet was healthy enough to avoid such things as vitamin deficiencies. I don't have "seasonal affective disorder" and I've laughed as my skin is so white now I can get face burned if in the sun for too long. As a teen...I was tanned enough that burning was never an issue. Ha, ha.....I feel like a piece of fish left on the drain board turning white as all my blood drains out (just an analogy...but I'm WHITE I tells ya!!)

Reminds me of a complaint we received bout one of our docs charging too much for a bone scan interpretation...so I met with him and asked him about it. Yes, yes...all part of his skills and training....nothing to see here. Don't know if it has changed or if there are various tests, but back then there was only one "bone density test result" and it was a number from 0 to 10. 0 meant you weren't on the table, and 10 meant the sensor was too close to the table...when you weren't on it. forget how that was resolved.

The results of my MRI were shown to me - a graph that showed age vs bone density for the population, plus my `dot` slightly below the range of densities. Top of the range being `best`, and the lower line being `headed for trouble`. This was all diagnostic tool based, with the doctor only selecting the matching population. I only took the test on a lark - since my wife was taking a follow-up, and low and behold - my result was worse than hers.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:07 pm

With Thanksgiving and a surplus uv meat the cats woudnt eat over the last month, I'v ballooned back up to 187 even tho I'm still not eating 4 dayz per week!

Its like I'v bekum too fuel efficient. So I'm going to try eating only on Saturday & Sunday.

TJrandom
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:35 pm

You will have found the perfect diet when you die - weight will reduce significantly and continue to drop, well, forever. Perfectly efficient! :)

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:02 pm

False!

Your wate goez down until you are just a skeleton. Then it stayz the same for a long time. It coud possibly go back up a wayz if your bonez fossilize.

And, even if you mean your remainz are not you, your wate goez to zero the instant you are ded, so its not going down forever, it goez to zero and stayz there forever. (prezumably, if there iz no afterlife)

TJrandom
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:25 pm

JO 753 wrote:False!

Your wate goez down until you are just a skeleton. Then it stayz the same for a long time. It coud possibly go back up a wayz if your bonez fossilize.

And, even if you mean your remainz are not you, your wate goez to zero the instant you are ded, so its not going down forever, it goez to zero and stayz there forever. (prezumably, if there iz no afterlife)

Nit nit nit nit nit... Fossil is not you, IMO, just as a photo is not you. And bones do continue to deteriorate unless somehow preserved. But even then, when the sun consumes the earth, bones, photographs, and yea - even fossils will deteriorate to near nothingness. Your last meal, either solid or liquid, will last for a long time. Happy now? :lol:

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:30 pm

TJrandom wrote:
JO 753 wrote:False!

Nit nit nit nit nit... Fossil is not you, IMO, just as a photo is not you.

Whaaaaat? Are you saying this isn't him?

him.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:46 pm

No weight is ever lost. It just shifts... elsewhere. :-P

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Don't confuse weight and mass! Weight is lost when you go downwards in an elevator, or if you're orbiting the Earth in freefall.
#ANDAMOVIE

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:25 pm

My new years resolution is to get into an elevator on January 1 and just keep going down.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:40 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:No weight is ever lost. It just shifts... elsewhere. :-P

So that's the cause of the obesity epidemic - all those people on diets - the weight they lose is someone else's gain.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:23 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:

So that's the cause of the obesity epidemic - all those people on diets - the weight they lose is someone else's gain.

Yeah! Stop dieting people. Have a heart, however fatty it might be! :shakefist:

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:47 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

We all have a steak in good nutrition.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:56 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

We all have a steak in good nutrition.

May the good lard let that sprout into a tree that will yield perfect s'moregasboards.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:59 pm

:hmm: Yeah, I know, a little ham-fisted, but it's all for the Second Helping...

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:17 pm

It's tough when even websites give you cookies.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:30 pm

Life at the cybercafe is no cakewalk.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:40 am

Austin Harper wrote:My new years resolution is to get into an elevator on January 1 and just keep going down.

I heard Trump is going to build a floor.
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:52 pm

Gord wrote:
Austin Harper wrote:My new years resolution is to get into an elevator on January 1 and just keep going down.

I heard Trump is going to build a floor.

And make the people living in the basement pay for it.

Return to “Healthcare”