Young blood into the wealthy elderly

A skeptical look at medical practices
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Young blood into the wealthy elderly

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:15 am

Reference. New Scientist. 30 September 2017, page 39

It has been known for many years that joining the blood systems of an old and a young mouse will cause the old mouse to show signs of reverting to robust youth. Of course, joining the blood systems of two humans is not realistic, so the idea of young blood transfused into older people came about. Experiments with animals indicated this would have benefits.

A "trial " is currently under way. For $US 8,000, a person can get two litres of young blood transfused into his or her. There is some doubt as to whether this can be called a proper trial. For example, there is no control group. So we must ask if it is simply a way to make money. Certainly, older wealthy people have turned up in numbers for the treatment. To do the 'researchers ' a little credit there is more evidence for this treatment than other treatments supposed to restore youth. At least it has been found to give benefits in animal tests. So far there are claims of significant benefits, but that could, of course, be the placebo effect.

How does it work ? Three possible mechanisms.
1. For mice joined together, the older mouse gets the benefit of better heart to pump blood and better kidneys and liver to make the quality of the blood better.
2. Possibly young blood contains protein factors for health and vigor.
3. Old blood may contain materials that cause inflammation and other harm. Diluting this may help.

This work may lead to alternative ways of helping older people, if we learn exactly what creates the benefits. For example, methods of reducing harmful substances or increasing levels of helpful substances might come about. The current situation will carry an ethical question.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Young blood into the wealthy elderly

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:07 am

One would think at that price, it shouldn't become a yuge business.* Unless the platinum members after repeal and replace have it covered by their insurances.

But yeah, will the blood banks be well enough stocked to save the grandchild of those rejuvenated ones if it catches on?

* What am I saying - just look at the prices and boom of nip-tucks... :duh:

Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:32 am

Lance: excellent summary. "3. Old blood may contain materials that cause inflammation and other harm. Diluting this may help." /// "Inflamation" and "radicals" is a field still wide open for discoveries. I wonder "if I were filthy rich" if I might invest in a dialysis machine to hook into when time permitted? Really give that blood a good washing. I recall early action on Aids noted that aids positive patient blood could be "filtered" through dialysis to actually kill or remove the infected cells greatly inhibiting any ill affects from the disease. Just too expensive and impracticable.

Always amuses me when very rich people die from simple ignorance re basic healthcare/life-extension principles. I'm not a germaphobe and think I am strengthening my immune system by eating food that has fallen on the floor......but I do need to keep working on not rubbing my eyes with my fingers.

I absolutely believe there is a range from simple and cheap to complex and expensive things that can be done to increase health/longevity.................we just don't know what they are.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:50 am

Bobbo

Try exercise and a well balanced diet.

On dialysis.
Yes, that has possibilities, but it is too much of a hassle, and too painful, for most people. Maybe if a better system can be designed..........

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:53 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Bobbo

Try exercise and a well balanced diet.

On dialysis.
Yes, that has possibilities, but it is too much of a hassle, and too painful, for most people. Maybe if a better system can be designed..........

Yeah....a few months ago some health nut who exercised and was on a specific calorie deficient diet died........forget why. The issue I raised was how MONEY not common sense had potential.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:21 am

Anything that reliably transfers wealth from the old to the young is fine with me as long as it doesn't cause harm.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:09 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I do need to keep working on not rubbing my eyes with my fingers.

Try using your elbows. :oldman:

Lard, save me from your followers.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:21 am

Sounds like someone was reading Heinlein, specifically Methuselah's Children, which centers around the Howard Families persecution by the short-lived...until they discover that transfusions from young donors extend the lives of older recipients.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:28 am

how would this be done ?
direct thru one tube , or thru a machine / pump ?

ew , looked it up - there is a way of connecting veins , so I guess someone would want more than minimum wage for that
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:33 am

elites and royals have drunk blood for a very long time...Al Gore with Clinton on the campaign road was asked why he had jars of blood in his suitcase....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:15 am

gorgeous wrote:elites and royals have drunk blood for a very long time...Al Gore with Clinton on the campaign road was asked why he had jars of blood in his suitcase....

kind of - off topic
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:04 am

The wealthy would be expected to provide their own fangs.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:54 am

Maybe I`ll sign up as a donor... :lol:

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:55 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:
gorgeous wrote:elites and royals have drunk blood for a very long time...Al Gore with Clinton on the campaign road was asked why he had jars of blood in his suitcase....

kind of - off topic

gorgeous is like that. Kind of off.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:55 am

gorgeous wrote:.Al Gore with Clinton on the campaign road was asked why he had jars of blood in his suitcase....
Complete crap from start to finish. Alex Jones on Infowars made up this story on air. There is no basis to this story and Gorgeous has forgotten that blood needs to be refrigerated and not just carried around in a suitcase. .

Return to “Healthcare”