Prosperity?

Fun with supply and demand.
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Prosperity?

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:50 pm

http://i.stuff.co.nz/business/money/860 ... ndex-again

A little boast. My country, New Zealand, has again been placed at the top of the global prosperity index. Let me say, very quickly, that this is not really about money. This index would be better called the human wellbeing index, and covers a range of factors, such as health care, happiness, social contacts, and so on, which all contribute to human wellbeing.

So what, really, are the most important factors making for the human welfare of any nation?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Prosperity?

Postby Gord » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:04 am

I agree, Americans should all move there after Trump gets elected, and not move to Canada which is only #5. 8-)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: The other god

Postby Paul Anthony » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:47 am

Measuring the human welfare of a nation requires averaging, which tells us very little. My well-being is very different from that of a person living in poverty in Detroit or another person who just happens to own a Silicon Valley company.

While I can be sympathetic toward the former and possibly a little jealous of the latter, what really matters to me is my own well-being. If I am living better than the average person in New Zealand, why would I move? There is no guarantee I would have an above average life there, and there is always the chance I'd experience a below average one.

The formula for happiness is simple: "It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you have".

(Anyone remember what song that comes from?)
People who say ALWAYS and NEVER are usually wrong, part of the time.
Science answers questions, Philosophy questions answers.
Make sense, not war.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:57 am

Paul.
Those are good points.
However, permit me the chance to boast a little. Especially if any Australian is looking in.

Hex
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: mi malam ciuj el vi

Postby Hex » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:24 am

Gord wrote:I agree, Americans should all move there after Trump gets elected, and not move to Canada which is only #5. 8-)

Yup, we suck and no American in their right mind would want to come to this commie nation.
Spoiler:
  TOYNBEE IDEA
IN KUBRICK'S 2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoaOJZ7Dfk

Hex
Frequent Poster

Postby Hex » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:27 am

Paul Anthony wrote:Measuring the human welfare of a nation requires averaging, which tells us very little. My well-being is very different from that of a person living in poverty in Detroit or another person who just happens to own a Silicon Valley company.

While I can be sympathetic toward the former and possibly a little jealous of the latter, what really matters to me is my own well-being. If I am living better than the average person in New Zealand, why would I move? There is no guarantee I would have an above average life there, and there is always the chance I'd experience a below average one.

The formula for happiness is simple: "It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you have".

(Anyone remember what song that comes from?)

A healthy society is also a society that looks out for one another as well as willing to contribute globally in a positive way. When everyone is better off the whole nation flourishes and brings everyone up, financially, emotionally and well being.
Spoiler:
  TOYNBEE IDEA
IN KUBRICK'S 2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER  

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:26 pm

It is a clear sign that we are near a peak in prosperity when we have to argue about what prosperity means...
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:00 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:It is a clear sign that we are near a peak in prosperity when we have to argue about what prosperity means...

We don't have to argue about the meaning, we're just a bunch of bloody-minded bastards.

Just sayin'. :lol:
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:02 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:It is a clear sign that we are near a peak in prosperity when we have to argue about what prosperity means...

We don't have to argue about the meaning, we're just a bunch of bloody-minded bastards.

And proud of it!
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:11 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

And proud of it!

To quote Prof. X, badly, "Obstinate and proud!"
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:46 pm

Hex wrote:
Gord wrote:I agree, Americans should all move there after Trump gets elected, and not move to Canada which is only #5. 8-)

Yup, we suck and no American in their right mind would want to come to this commie nation.

Totally true. Even our tourist sites are actually terrorist sites. Dubya had it correct after all. Go figure!

Fear the trrrist sites. Go to New Zealand instead! :thumbsup:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Hex
Frequent Poster

Postby Hex » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:08 pm

Gord wrote:
Hex wrote:

Totally true. Even our tourist sites are actually terrorist sites. Dubya had it correct after all. Go figure!

Fear the trrrist sites. Go to New Zealand instead! :thumbsup:

G'vmint run trrrist sites!
Spoiler:
  TOYNBEE IDEA
IN KUBRICK'S 2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER  

Return to “Economics”