A Case for Free Trade

Fun with supply and demand.
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: A Case for Free Trade

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:40 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Matthew, Speaking purely for my own selfish interest, I would rather be rich.

Nope. You're a Kiwi and like Aussies, being "rich" isn't important in itself. Being rich is just a method, of getting a nice car, decent food, a nice house, the ability to travel now and then, some health security for old age and some money left over for our individual hobbies.

I really don't care one way or the other, if I drive a Yaris or a Mercedes Benz. Neither do you.
:D

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:40 pm

My neighbour drives a mercedes, with his initials on the number plate. I laugh whenever I see it. That is the epitome of being a w*nker.

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: The other god

Post by Paul Anthony » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:42 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Lance Kennedy wrote:Matthew, Speaking purely for my own selfish interest, I would rather be rich.

Nope. You're a Kiwi and like Aussies, being "rich" isn't important in itself. Being rich is just a method, of getting a nice car, decent food, a nice house, the ability to travel now and then, some health security for old age and some money left over for our individual hobbies.

I really don't care one way or the other, if I drive a Yaris or a Mercedes Benz. Neither do you.

I've never driven a Yaris, but I got stuck with a Chevette as a company car for a few years. Thanks to that pitiful excuse for a car, my chiropractor was able to afford a Mercedes Benz.
People who say ALWAYS and NEVER are usually wrong, part of the time.
Science answers questions, Philosophy questions answers.
Make sense, not war.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:27 am

Paul Anthony wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:

I've never driven a Yaris, but I got stuck with a Chevette as a company car for a few years. Thanks to that pitiful excuse for a car, my chiropractor was able to afford a Mercedes Benz.

I had a `60 Chevette. Paid $50 for it in `69, and got maybe $30 out of it when it was junked. At a time when almost nobody here had a car, it was still a chick magnet, rust and all. My back was just fine, with all of that exercise.... :)

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster

Post by Paul Anthony » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:18 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Paul Anthony wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:

I had a `60 Chevette. Paid $50 for it in `69, and got maybe $30 out of it when it was junked. At a time when almost nobody here had a car, it was still a chick magnet, rust and all. My back was just fine, with all of that exercise.... :)

Well, sure, for you it was fun. I had to actually drive it all day. GM hadn't figured out how to build front wheel drive cars yet. The transmission hump took up much of the floor space, so the pedals were all over to the left. The steering wheel wasn't, so the bottom half of your body faced one way while the top half of you faced the other. Chiropractors were buying stock in GM. ;)
Make sense, not war.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:20 pm

Paul Anthony wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
Paul Anthony wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:

Well, sure, for you it was fun. I had to actually drive it all day. GM hadn't figured out how to build front wheel drive cars yet. The transmission hump took up much of the floor space, so the pedals were all over to the left. The steering wheel wasn't, so the bottom half of your body faced one way while the top half of you faced the other. Chiropractors were buying stock in GM. ;)

OK, my apologies... I actually had a Chevrolet Corvair. Your Chevette didn`t get produced until 1976. I doubt that I have ever driven a Chevette.

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster

Post by Paul Anthony » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:21 am

TJrandom wrote:
Paul Anthony wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
Paul Anthony wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:

OK, my apologies... I actually had a Chevrolet Corvair. Your Chevette didn`t get produced until 1976. I doubt that I have ever driven a Chevette.

Lucky you!
Make sense, not war.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:47 am

Trump just supported certain special interests with protective tariffs on imported washing machines and solar panels.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1FB30B

This is exactly the kind of sledgehammer-type economic intervention that Scottish philosophy professor Adam Smith proved to be counterproductive in The Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations. 1776.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:47 am

so during the height of a crisis with North Korea, Trump starts a trade war targeting the biggest South Korean company?
Way to win hearts and minds.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:38 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:so during the height of a crisis with North Korea, Trump starts a trade war targeting the biggest South Korean company?
Way to win hearts and minds.
Children are taught from an early age that both God and governments work in strange and mysterious ways, their wonders to perform, and if they fail to comprehend this, the fault lies with them, not with the powers-that-be.

If The Donald creates some doubt about the wonders of government performance his reign may not be all bad. :mrgreen:
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:00 am

The Transpacific Partnership is going ahead.....without the USA. Australia was pushing hard for the trade block to go ahead and not worry about the USA and we now have good news.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-24/t ... al/9354502

That's Japan, Australia, Canada, Mexico, Malaysia, Brunei, Vietnam, Chile, New Zealand, Peru and Singapore.

These countries can now establish mutual supply chains without USA input and USA threatened trade wars. This is very good for Australia due to our enormous agricultural and mineral outputs.

Next comes the EC. so we can take over the UK's trading activities in Europe, after Brexit.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:02 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:The Transpacific Partnership is going ahead.....without the USA. Australia was pushing hard for the trade block to go ahead and not worry about the USA and we now have good news.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-24/t ... al/9354502

That's Japan, Australia, Canada, Mexico, Malaysia, Brunei, Vietnam, Chile, New Zealand, Peru and Singapore.

These countries can now establish mutual supply chains without USA input and USA threatened trade wars. This is very good for Australia due to our enormous agricultural and mineral outputs.

Next comes the EC. so we can take over the UK's trading activities in Europe, after Brexit.
What? Not Columbia!?? You mean I'll still have to pay import duties for my crack cocaine?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero