Is China PAYING us to take their goods?

Fun with supply and demand.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Is China PAYING us to take their goods?

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:36 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... gnorebbr=1

This is a 3 ft long gold plated hdmi cable. Shipped from China with total cost of $1.87. Thats ONE dollar and eighty-seven cents. Shirley the post charge alone would be ....... more?

So far...I've always (about 5 times now) gotten "an" order from China. Twice it was the wrong product...more expensive, but wrong. I don't see why there would be a communications problem when the PO has Product sku bar codes? I could order a longer cable in stock here in America...but I like a neat set up and the pleasure in seeing Mail Order actually work.

Something doesn't add up with how even raw product can be shipped to China for value added and it comes back cheaper than USA can do? Lets assume Slave/Prison/Child/Average wages for zero input cost. There's still shipping...and still USPost Office fees.

I'm not even going to look up the USA postal rate.....from Long Beach CA to me...or Ha, ha...would it ship thru Mexico or the Panama Canal? Big Bidness.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Is China PAYING us to take their goods?

Post by Gord » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:28 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...Lets assume Slave/Prison/Child/Average wages....

Yes, let's.

I don't know how they do it either. It boggles my mind. How little money are they paying their employees? Is it even a living wage?

Sure, the webcam I bought for $4 Canadian (including shipping) only half works, but the part I needed to work is the half that does. Four dollars is twenty minutes of work where I am, and the people earning that little are living in rundown flea-traps and eating McDonalds value meals. How did they make this thing without killing someone in the process? :pardon:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:41 am

China is selling off its existing inventory at discount rates. In essence, China over-stimulated its economy and its consumer goods manufacturing base, and continued to do this despite a drop in demand for manufactured products.

What you are talking about is "anti dumping" laws.

If a company exports a product at a price lower than the price it normally charges on its own home market, it is said to be “dumping” the product. Is this unfair competition? Opinions differ, but many governments take action against dumping in order to defend their domestic industries. The WTO agreement does not pass judgement. Its focus is on how governments can or cannot react to dumping — it disciplines anti-dumping actions, and it is often called the “Anti-Dumping Agreement”. (This focus only on the reaction to dumping contrasts with the approach of the Subsidies and Countervailing Measures Agreement.)

https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/wh ... grm8_e.htm

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:38 am

Not only do you get quality hardware - the Trojans and firmware- hacks come free of charge!

Not sure if that is really happening, but I once got a beautiful, gold-plated USB-drive from a member of a Chinese delegation. The thing is never allowed to be in the same room as an USB-port.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:02 am

Gord wrote:How did they make this thing without killing someone in the process? :pardon:

Who says they did?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:37 am

Austin Harper wrote:
Gord wrote:How did they make this thing without killing someone in the process? :pardon:

Who says they did?

The label says "No humans were harmed in the making of this label".

Ohhhh, the label!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?