Solar Panels = Will they do more than Save the Planet

Fun with supply and demand.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Solar Panels = Will they do more than Save the Planet

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:05 pm

I've thought and posted elsewhere bits and pieces that were all put together in one package on the Thom Hartmann show last night..as I was falling asleep.

Its a joy to behold the falling price of solar power. Even right now cheaper than other forms of energy in many areas of the world. Story was related that Elon Musk was so enamored of the tech he wanted to give every home owner in Arizona a free solar set up...but the powers that be blocked him.....raising the issue of the unintended/indirect changes that any disrupting technology will bring.

What will "free energy" do to our society?

I've thought it would provide society with energy that would be non-polluting. I've always "just assumed" there would still be a role for coal and oil to produce things that fossil fuels are good at?===>BUT MAYBE NOT. Coal is already on its knees sucking big time. I see no reason at all that Oil won't follow. Not before recognized: the HUGE infrastructure/jobs/economy those industries provide. All Gone along with their incredible inefficiencies, waste, and pollution.

In discussions about "the carrying capacity of the Earth" I've said that "with energy, much less free non-polluting energy" all things are possible. HA!!!!! Just to the degree that is true: what would be the impact on society???

The Tom Hartmann guest said that it would be very easy and cost effective for the gubment to lend money to every body with access to the sun to install solar panel and buy that energy back. Almost a Universal Basic Income for all involved. AHHHH.... the Future is so bright.... I gotta wear my Reality Augmented Head Visor.

So, as with my first post to this forum: I wonder how the race will finish. Will science save us in the very last possible moment.... or will our group passivity and willingness to believe the Merchants of Doubt take us over the edge? I get a mixed message on this. Very qualified experts say we still have time....... "if"....... and I don't see much effort at meeting the requirments of "if." Then I see sporatic reports that say...yes.. we can still do it.

As the cost curve for Solar rapidly declines.... maybe the only "critical path" on the table is how soon we develop negative carbon technologies...to take co2 out of the air? THAT is what I would call upon Bill Gates to fund. The only program that might save all of life on Earth.

Now........... thats a legacy. first thought: turn co2 into anything that you can build something with. could be concrete or plastic...or a new form of dna. Wouldn't matter much. Pollution turned into Products. Only missing element: energy and Imagination. ((technology!))
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Re: Solar Panels = Will they do more than Save the Planet

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:05 pm

By pure coincidence....other than my news feeds appear to have a small locus of interests?

Carbon XPrize aims to reimagine CO2

Stu Robarts July 28, 2016
XPrize suggests that carbon could be used to make products like sustainable building materials, clothing and running shoes, automobiles and breakthrough medicines.

Just one of many advances with THE BIG QUESTION as above: will it be in time?

http://www.gizmag.com/nrg-cosia-carbon- ... b-89824278
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:43 pm

I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:11 pm

HEY!!!!!! I was gonna post that next. Another GREAT idea.... with the same over arching question.

I gotta think in the very best case we are only going to squeak through with a whole lot of suffering and even, more likely all the time, a massive die-off in hooman beings. I hope the initial waves (sic) of climate change impacts humans enough to convince everyone of the need TO GET OFF CARBON. The tech will be here to do so. SO==with everyone united for the needed changes, and some mini-catrastophe to knock our numbers down....I can see a squeaker. Humanity and Technology = civilization still intact. Lots of Ghost Towns to remind us. Take a few hundred years to settle down and clean up the mess. With free energy and no pollution in abundance...probably back to 9 Billion people another 100 years after that....if bio engineering doesn't go sideways as well?

Hmmmm.... maybe Agmented Reality will be all we actually have left?

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Nothing wrong with augmented reality - as long as it has Pokemon.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:54 pm

Maybe Pokemon is part of the solution... just hide those little monsters in the medians of superhighways - or on the firing ranges of gun clubs. :evil:

Return to “Economics”