Amazon

Fun with supply and demand.
fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Amazon

Postby fromthehills » Sun May 29, 2016 3:43 pm

I have mixed feelings about Amazon. I am guilty of buying the majority of my products through them, and have a Prime membership. Plus I live an hour from basic shopping. If I need a new tape measure, I can go on Amazon and order one, and spend an extra $3 and have it next day. Or wait two days and not pay the shipping. This service costs me about $100 a year. They rarely mess up an order, but if they do, I can email them and the UPS driver shows up to take it back, and I'm refunded, no questions asked.

I do think of supporting other businesses with my dollar, but often it can be disappointing in comparison. For example: I recently purchased a fastening system through DIY Homecenter. I'm fairly convinced it's a scam. The product is junk, and they charged for three boxes, I ordered two, and they sent two. This is now a big dispute. Things like don't happen with Amazon.

I recently ordered a case of canned dog food through Amazon. Four of the cans were damaged, and leaking. I contacted them and they sent a new case over night with no need to return the damaged case. No questions asked.

Now, my point of this is to ask whether or not it's wise, economically for we as a whole to spend the majority of our money with one business, or to try and spread or money amongst many businesses. I personally feel that spreading spending to many businesses seems better than spending with one giant business which then wipes out healthy competition. But I have to say that I don't practice this idealism, as it's just far easier to use Amazon.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Re: Amazon

Postby Monster » Sun May 29, 2016 4:22 pm

I do the same. Amazon's just much easier. :(
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Postby ElectricMonk » Sun May 29, 2016 4:36 pm

The more important question is: should we become dissatisfied with Amazon, would we be able to find what we need elsewhere? Or has the company already displaced all other shops, local or online?

I think it's safe to say that for most products we could switch if we wanted to, and other online retailers can rather easily copy Amazon's practices and scale should their number of customers dramatically increase: after all, the actual delivery is not done by Amazon itself.

But the impact of online retail on local stores is devastating - I think there are few things meaner than checking out a product in a local store, then use your smartphone to compare prices and order it online.... possibly while still in the shop.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun May 29, 2016 4:44 pm

Don't worry, I never buy online so I'm keeping the other evil stores alive.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sun May 29, 2016 5:07 pm

I wanted some timberboard panels. I went to the local DIY superstore after checking online that they stocked what I wanted. They didn't have any of the size I wanted in store so I asked when they would be returning. I was told they didn't sell them. I marched the assistant to the trade counter and showed her the product in their own trade catalogue. "But that's trade only" she said. I explained to her that I wasn't trying to buy the sodding things at trade price, but merely showing her that they did have them at their warehouse, so I would like to have some at the retail price as advertised on their website. At that point she got uppity so I told her to stick her panels in some painful orifice or other. I won't be returning.

Amazon tell you if they have any of anything and tell you the price and then deliver it - usually ahead of the stated delivery date. I now use Amazon by default because I get what I want when I want it and without the intervention of some snot-nosed kid who forgot to go to charm school. If it wasn't Amazon it would be any outlet other than the one with stupid assistants. If the local stores can't be bothered to get the basics right, then I'm certainly not going to have any moral hiccups about supporting markets close to home. I'll support the market that gets the job done.

Rant over.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:43 pm

I'v been going to Ebay more often than Amazon lately. I use to hav Amazon Prime, but kuz I rarely hav money, I wuznt getting enuf stuf to justify the 100$. And the 'storez' and individual sellerz on Ebay usually ship for free.

Sum peepl complain about Walmart/Samz Club, K-Mart, Aldi, etc and all the online shopping killing local merchants. I think wut they really killed iz their ability to gouje their customerz. It alwayz bugged me that the storez were making more than the factoryz and farmz that made the products.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon May 30, 2016 12:02 am

When you find a good retailer, you should stick with them. Spreading your bidnez around only benefits fraudsters of which there are too many.... especially web only retailers based in China. When they work, they work, but when they don't work, even when they are honestly trying....they don't have the flexibility. Could that be just a language barrier, or something more designed?

Dog Food? Ha, ha. Yes....I won't mail order anything over about $100. Getting burned on $19.99 is one thing, 1999,99 is quite another.

With the number of my neighbors getting rear ended in traffic, there is more than avoiding standing in line that on line shopping benefits.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Mon May 30, 2016 1:26 am

Poodle wrote:...some snot-nosed kid who forgot to go to charm school.

Crap, we were supposed to go to charm school?? No one told me!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon May 30, 2016 11:25 am

Gord wrote:
Poodle wrote:...some snot-nosed kid who forgot to go to charm school.

Crap, we were supposed to go to charm school?? No one told me!

You {!#%@} all need to go to charm school. Did me a world of good.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon May 30, 2016 11:35 am

Don't just go to any old Charm School - go to Trump Charm University!
He's got the Best Charm!

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Mon May 30, 2016 1:20 pm

:lol:

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Mon May 30, 2016 1:38 pm

JO 753 wrote:I'v been going to Ebay more often than Amazon lately. I use to hav Amazon Prime, but kuz I rarely hav money, I wuznt getting enuf stuf to justify the 100$. And the 'storez' and individual sellerz on Ebay usually ship for free.

Sum peepl complain about Walmart/Samz Club, K-Mart, Aldi, etc and all the online shopping killing local merchants. I think wut they really killed iz their ability to gouje their customerz. It alwayz bugged me that the storez were making more than the factoryz and farmz that made the products.

I've bought a lot of auto parts on eBay. Seems the best for that

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Mon May 30, 2016 2:09 pm

JO 753 wrote:Sum peepl complain about Walmart/Samz Club, K-Mart, Aldi, etc and all the online shopping killing local merchants. I think wut they really killed iz their ability to gouje their customerz. It alwayz bugged me that the storez were making more than the factoryz and farmz that made the products.

Are you complaining that retailers charge more for a product than what they paid to buy it? You do realize that that extra amount goes to maintenance of their store, paying employees, and buying of more products to sell, right?
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:46 pm

Markup coverz operating expensez and profit for the owner. But at sum point its just greed enabled mainly by a lack uv alternativez for the customer.

Even tho the big box storez put a dent in this, many uv them do it themselvez. I'v notised that it seemz to be by product type. At the O'Rielly's autoparts near here, for example, they hav LED 1156 bulbz in 2 packs for 23$ that you can get on Ebay in a 10 pack for 12$ ! But they sell a set uv 3 long 3/8" extensionz ( 18, 24 36 inch ) for 21$ wich seemz stupid cheap to me considering the amount uv work & material. Granted, they coud be krap, but they look fine.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue May 31, 2016 12:01 pm

It is rare that I use Amazon, since I can find most stuff at the local DIY, COSTCO, electronics chain, or mom & pop old style stores. Unfortunately, Amazon will not ship many items I want to Japan - there being a local distributor contract already in place. Levi jeans, for example. There are trans-shippers I could use, but so far haven`t needed an item so bad that I made that relationship.

But I wouldn`t worry about overuse of Amazon - since they are a retailer/shipper, and not a manufacturer. Your local employment base may be hurt just a little, but only a little.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Tue May 31, 2016 1:50 pm

We don't really have a local employment base. The town an hour north is mostly a tourist economy. The town an hour south is mostly a meth amphetamine and heroine based economy.

My immediate area is mostly service based, construction, house cleaning, liquor store clerk..

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Postby ElectricMonk » Tue May 31, 2016 2:21 pm

fromthehills wrote:We don't really have a local employment base. The town an hour south is mostly a meth amphetamine and heroine based economy.

Good for you!
Besides some bathsalts and mushrooms, Amazon's illegal drugs variety leaves much to be desired.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Tue May 31, 2016 6:05 pm

fromthehills wrote:The town an hour north is mostly a tourist economy. The town an hour south is mostly a meth amphetamine and heroine based economy.

Do I sense a codependency? :nownow:
#ANDAMOVIE

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Tue May 31, 2016 7:39 pm

I buy all of my ebooks from Amazon because I have a Kindle Paperwhite which is a great device (good UI, good battery life, good display resolution, pleasant front light, great for travel). I try to buy for paper books at local bookstores. I also buy most of my DVDs and Blu-rays from them because they are cheaper than the competitors and there are no local options. I also buy a few new TV series from them as they air because I cut cable and this way is cheaper. But as Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime are increasing their selections quicker than I can watch what I want to I've pretty much stopped this habit.

I also don't like other big chains so I try to shop locally when I can or at least to go to Meijer instead of Target or Walmart because they're a much smaller "local-ish" chain.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Tue May 31, 2016 7:43 pm

Gord wrote:
fromthehills wrote:The town an hour north is mostly a tourist economy. The town an hour south is mostly a meth amphetamine and heroine based economy.

Yeah - I thought that too. There's certainly a business opportunity there for anyone who happens to live roundabout the middle of all that.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:04 am

Buying physical books is my way of buying carbon-offsets.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:22 am

Physical books are far easier to use than electronic versions. It's like the difference between a codex and a scroll. "(A codex accommodates random access, as opposed to a scroll, which uses sequential access.)"
#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:05 pm

Poodle wrote:
Gord wrote:

Yeah - I thought that too. There's certainly a business opportunity there for anyone who happens to live roundabout the middle of all that.

I did forget to mention the local pot growing economy.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:12 pm

fromthehills wrote:
Poodle wrote:
Gord wrote:

I did forget to mention the local pot growing economy.

Well then, it seems that you have everything you need - right there.

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: The other god

Postby Paul Anthony » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:30 pm

Gord wrote:Physical books are far easier to use than electronic versions. It's like the difference between a codex and a scroll. "(A codex accommodates random access, as opposed to a scroll, which uses sequential access.)"

I used to like reading real books while sitting by my fireplace. But the Department of Environmental Quality has banned burning wood in fireplaces, so I bought an electric space heater and put it in my fireplace. I also bought a Kindle reader.

Now I read a fake book while sitting by a fake fireplace. It's the 21st century version of "keeping it real".
People who say ALWAYS and NEVER are usually wrong, part of the time.
Science answers questions, Philosophy questions answers.
Make sense, not war.

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: The other god

Postby Paul Anthony » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:43 pm

fromthehills wrote:
Now, my point of this is to ask whether or not it's wise, economically for we as a whole to spend the majority of our money with one business, or to try and spread or money amongst many businesses. I personally feel that spreading spending to many businesses seems better than spending with one giant business which then wipes out healthy competition. But I have to say that I don't practice this idealism, as it's just far easier to use Amazon.

I don't think your spending habits will endanger the world economy, but it might hurt your wallet. The great thing about the Internet is how easy it is to comparison shop without leaving home. I found a patio set (table and 4 chairs) on Amazon that looked good. I'm not a member of Amazon Prime, so the shipping charge was steep. Then I found the same set on Walmart.com for less - with free shipping!

A lot of years ago I was a buyer for a major department store chain. I learned to never pay retail, 'cause the mark-up is insane. Stores aren't loyal to you, so why should you be loyal to them? Shop around.
People who say ALWAYS and NEVER are usually wrong, part of the time.
Science answers questions, Philosophy questions answers.
Make sense, not war.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:37 am

Paul Anthony wrote:It's the 21st century version of "keeping it real".

"Keeping it real."
"Political correctness."
"Trump."
"Off."

Why do words and/or terms keeping switching meanings to the complete opposite of what they should mean?
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Economics”