Food that is "free from" stuff

Fun with supply and demand.
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Food that is "free from" stuff

Postby Gord » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:37 am

I think I'll put this in...hmmmm...Economics! 'Cause it's about food product labels, and they design those for sales-worthiness.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25963603

The Influence of a Factitious Free-From Food Product Label on Consumer Perceptions of Healthfulness.

...A survey was administered to 256 adults. Two picture-based food product questions evaluated which products consumers perceived to be healthier. One free-from designation was fabricated (MUI-free), whereas gluten-free was used as the comparison designation. For each question, participants chose which product they thought was healthier (free-from, conventional, or equally healthy)....

...Among the respondents, 21.9% selected the MUI-free product as healthier, whereas 25.5% selected the gluten-free product as healthier....

...CONCLUSIONS: Frequency data demonstrated that free-from products can generate perceptions of healthfulness in the absence of risk information. Self-reported intolerance data suggest that individuals with a heightened concern about the risks associated with gluten may perceive the larger category of free-from products as more healthful. In addition, ethnicity and education level appear to play a role in free-from product perception.

A significant number of people who see that a product is "free from" an ingredient think that makes it healthier than the same product if it contained that same ingredient, even when they don't know what it is.

(Note that the ingredient "MUI" was a made up thing that doesn't really exist; 21.9% of people tested thought their food was healthier when they were told the non-existent ingredient MUI wasn't in their food.)

It reinforces my notion that most people who buy gluten-free food do so because they think it's healthier, rather than because they have a health issue that disposes them to avoid gluten.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Food that is "free from" stuff

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:57 am

They probably would have gotten similar results if the made up label had said "Free from nutrients". :-P

Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:47 pm

Then there are people for whom those labels are made and find them life saving.

Had a friend who said he was allergic to nuts. I asked what happens if you eat one? He said his throat swells and he goes into shock. I said I found that hard to believe ..........because..........I'm not allergic to nuts, and further I wondered what would happen if a nut were put into his spaghetti without his knowledge. He told me an "ex" friend of his did that once just to test his veracity and my friend almost died before getting to the ER.

Do the 99% of people who handle gluten, diary, nuts etc have misperceptions about the labels regarding same? Of course. Are these labels life saving information and high relevant to the 1% who need them? Of course.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:19 pm

I think that's listing the ingredients, which is a good thing.

This seems to be more in the lines of what a brand did a while ago, printing a "reduced sodium" on their new packaging but checking against the previous one, what was in it hadn't changed. They just also put a rather small "than other products" on the bottom and out of immediate sight. But many label reader appreciated "the change to a healthier product", if they were watching their actual sodium intake or not...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:51 pm

Its true.

Labels can't provide a college education at the same time. Check out would be horrible.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:03 pm

Well, at least they figured out that "fortified" doesn't necessarily mean better. One day they will also check out the "made with" claims. :-P

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:44 pm

Fortified means strengthened or protected. How can that not always be "better" whether you need it or not?

"Fortified with Iron" could even be bad for some who are suffering from an excess of iron in their diet?

but the fortified food item is better. Its the consumer that is on the skids.

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Deep

Postby Scott Mayers » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:36 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Then there are people for whom those labels are made and find them life saving.

Had a friend who said he was allergic to nuts. I asked what happens if you eat one? He said his throat swells and he goes into shock. I said I found that hard to believe ..........because..........I'm not allergic to nuts, and further I wondered what would happen if a nut were put into his spaghetti without his knowledge. He told me an "ex" friend of his did that once just to test his veracity and my friend almost died before getting to the ER.

Do the 99% of people who handle gluten, diary, nuts etc have misperceptions about the labels regarding same? Of course. Are these labels life saving information and high relevant to the 1% who need them? Of course.

This isn't the case. Gluten-free products used to be relatively cheap considering it had less than the full ingredients as the processes for making flour is easier. It served only a small population of those who have gluten issues. Yet, clever schemes were devised by certain promoters to foster claims that leaving out gluten improved the general population's health (as another diet scheme). This created a demand on the gluten-free products which made the costs of the products skyrocket. And so those with real gluten problems are angry as they must pay much more for a normally cheap product they could afford otherwise.

Also, a lot of companies have sold on this scheme by announcing what isn't in something for which is a product that normally doesn't have such ingredients in the first place. Cholesteral, for instance comes from animal fat. Yet some vegetable margarines sell themselves as lacking this when it never had it (normally). Those that DO, may use it for trying to make them 'butter' tasting. Yet even there, they'll sell it as "low cholesterol" which intends to make it seem it has a contrasting improvement than other margarines which don't have them by default! So it may not be 'lying' since the flavoring may only need a tiny amount, but it is counting on real misinterpretation that most normal people would presume, especially when this point is highlighted.
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

supervitor
Frequent Poster

Postby supervitor » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:08 pm

My objective, "can't fail" and time-efficient take on this is to look at the price: the more expensive it is, the healthier it is. No wasting time reading the labels, and you can't get it wrong.

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Deep

Postby Scott Mayers » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:18 pm

supervitor wrote:My objective, "can't fail" and time-efficient take on this is to look at the price: the more expensive it is, the healthier it is. No wasting time reading the labels, and you can't get it wrong.

Not everyone can afford caviar.

But this is just another intentional con too to which marketers know about those like yourself and utilize with great affect.
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

supervitor
Frequent Poster

Postby supervitor » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:39 pm

Scott Mayers wrote:
supervitor wrote:My objective, "can't fail" and time-efficient take on this is to look at the price: the more expensive it is, the healthier it is. No wasting time reading the labels, and you can't get it wrong.

Not everyone can afford caviar.

But this is just another intentional con too to which marketers know about those like yourself and utilize with great affect.

I mean, when comparing caviar with caviar. Or rice with rice.

Yes, that's true. I'm a sucker for it ;)
Maybe it's just placebo effect, but things do taste better and feel healthier

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:59 am

I've had caviar about 10 times never with a good outcome. Too salty. The deviled chicken eggs were uniformly better. I can only guess that they salt the cheap stuff?.... I'd still like to try truffles though.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:03 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Fortified means strengthened or protected. How can that not always be "better" whether you need it or not?

"Fortified with Iron" could even be bad for some who are suffering from an excess of iron in their diet?

Thanks. I feel so... enriched. :-P

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:15 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Fortified means strengthened or protected. How can that not always be "better" whether you need it or not?

I always select the fortified and added brands....if they are no more expensive. Why not? I like expensive urine? The issue did actually arise a while back: plain salt or with Iodine? I got the Iodine...I think it is for kiddies, but I like my eyeballs.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:21 am

Its mostly a marketing ploy capitalizing on the helthy eating trend. Everything iz getting 'helthified' theze daze, mostly with sientificly proven label rejiggering.

Wun uv my relativz iz making everybody hate her by nagging about suppozedly helthier ingredients. Non-GMO this, free ranje that, gluten free, holistic, antibiotic free, bla bla bla bla. And alwayz that it tastes so much better that its worth the exorbitant cost.

Its well established and equally well supressed that the big ag suplierz hav been poizoning us for decades, so hopefully, this trend will make them think twise wen they find a new way to save a penny per ton that iznt really safe to eat.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:33 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:

I always select the fortified and added brands....if they are no more expensive. Why not? I like expensive urine? The issue did actually arise a while back: plain salt or with Iodine? I got the Iodine...I think it is for kiddies, but I like my eyeballs.

I don't mind good stuff added but I'm not for the willy-nilly whatever is the hippest and most sophisticated/sciency sounding fad promoted at Faux News at the moment. *takes breath*

As to expensive urine. Fun colors and flavors at times, but the urine making machine's repair shop is charging way outrageous fees. On top of already having generously enriched the sewage system, one might have to shell out even more and that seems like adding insult to insulin. :flushed:

Return to “Economics”