Commercialz, good & bad

Fun with supply and demand.
Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Re: Commercialz, good & bad

Post by Chachacha » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:10 am

JO 753 wrote:A little coincidence there. My momz nurse brought that over last week. Its Elf.

I love coincidences. :)

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:12 am

Lame. Like AT&T. But I suppoze its a matter uv taste.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Chachacha » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:26 am

JO 753 wrote:Lame. Like AT&T. But I suppoze its a matter uv taste.

Lame???????? :blink: *Insert little sounds from commercial here* :swoon:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:34 am

Sorry. Cant help being a guy! Explosionz, violence, humor with an evil twist - generally thingz with a more bombastic nature.

Plus I hate AT&T.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Chachacha » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:33 am

JO 753 wrote:Sorry. Cant help being a guy! Explosionz, violence, humor with an evil twist - generally thingz with a more bombastic nature.

Plus I hate AT&T.

No worries. Completely understandable.
:)

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:19 pm

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Chachacha » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:16 pm

This for you, JO! Not a commercial, but I think you'll enjoy it. :) http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-j ... nouncement

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:11 pm

xanks!

:lol: "i xink i must hav lukt at u tunl." :lol:

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Chachacha » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:00 pm

JO 753 wrote:xanks!

:lol: "i xink i must hav lukt at u tunl." :lol:

:lol: Also liked "I'm just going to move slightly to scratch an itch, just on the side of my ....." "No! No, no, no, no, nooooooooooo!"

KnaveOfHearts
Regular Poster

Post by KnaveOfHearts » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:05 pm

I like the drill sergeant Geico commercial

Here
"All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other."
— H.P. Lovecraft

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:43 pm

"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:49 pm

I liked theze Abe Lincoln, beaver & deep sea diver spots:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khY4dAdfDTE

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:04 am

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:59 am

:lol: "Monica Blake?" That's Jaime Pressly! She won an Emmy in 2007 for "Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series" for playing "Joy" on the show My Name Is Earl.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:00 pm

The surreal Korean Air spots hav been playing in my dreamz lately. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEYngxOMsmg

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Post by rickoshay85 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:30 pm

JO 753 wrote:The surreal Korean Air spots hav been playing in my dreamz lately. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEYngxOMsmg

Good visual stuff. Why are we stuck with such stodgy ones?
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Kuz we arent good enuff.

America haz bekum sclerotic with established doctrinez, cement hedizm on a society wide level, accredition, certification, 'time tested'..... anything to keep peepl frum having to think.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:38 pm

The Alstate Mayhem comercialz are great. Herez a compilation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R8vG9NJQFY. I havent seen most uv thoze!

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Post by rickoshay85 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:49 pm

JO 753 wrote:The Alstate Mayhem comercialz are great. Herez a compilation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R8vG9NJQFY. I havent seen most uv thoze!

A fair commercial is a rarity. Most promise everything and give you nothing. Been fleeced quite a few times myself..
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:45 pm

Herz a Q for Vanderpoel:

Stupid claimz in commercialz. So dum that I dont think anybody woud believe them. An example are sum diet milkshake spots on the radio now. The guy sez "Ladyz! Did you know you have to work out at least 1 hour a day just to maintain your current wate?!" And another from the same company "Did you know that a 1,000 calory a day diet can actually make you gain wate?!"

Iz this just a tactic to get attention? Make an outrajous claim just to get people talking about the product?

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:34 am

Expedia

I hate this commercial. I don't know why, really, I just do.

I imagine its a hundred yirz frum now, civilization iz well on its way to Idiocracy, and this iz a normal workplace. The 'workerz' are reduced to simpletonz by the powerful computerz uv the future. Its almost certainly & obviously going to happen if we keep pretending that people hav to go to a place uv employment to 'earn' money. The boss iz just there az part uv the sham.

Major wow factor!

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Post by rickoshay85 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:06 pm

JO 753 wrote:Expedia

I hate this commercial. I don't know why, really, I just do.

I imagine its a hundred yirz frum now, civilization iz well on its way to Idiocracy, and this iz a normal workplace. The 'workerz' are reduced to simpletonz by the powerful computerz uv the future. Its almost certainly & obviously going to happen if we keep pretending that people hav to go to a place uv employment to 'earn' money. The boss iz just there az part uv the sham.

Major wow factor!

Read a sci fi book years ago where all the people lived in a modern city that automatically took care of all their needs and wishes, lasted hundreds of years, then one day it stopped working, the helpless people couldn't feed themselves, and finally died from starvation.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:25 am

It's a likely event. Therz gotta be thouzandz uv syfy storyz with humanz reduced to leisurely idiots. It wut we hav been working to create for the last 2 or 3 centuryz.

Sum moviez I can think uv: Loganz Run, Wall-E, The Time Machine.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Post by rickoshay85 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:52 pm

JO 753 wrote:It's a likely event. Therz gotta be thouzandz uv syfy storyz with humanz reduced to leisurely idiots. It wut we hav been working to create for the last 2 or 3 centuryz.

Sum moviez I can think uv: Loganz Run, Wall-E, The Time Machine.

Another one by Woody Allen, but I can't think of the title. You could include Soylent green too, they weren't exactly leisure idiots, but they did just sit around with nothing to do.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:53 am

Are you thinking uv Sleeper? Looks interesting!

I got Soylent Green on BR a few weeks ago. It wuz alot lower bujet than I remembered. Still good.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Chachacha » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:25 pm

I laughed out loud when I saw the new Progresso Soup ad, where a woman calls the company to tell them she can fit into her old jeans, and the guy says, "Okay," and she says something to the effect of, "You don't understand, these are my skinny jeans .. and THEY FIT", and he says, "Okay," and she says, "Is there a woman there I can talk to?"

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Flash » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:07 am

There are some commercials that are interesting and funny but I must agree with Jo that most are unbelievably crappy and boring. I think that commercials are the true stinking garbage of our civilization and look how much time we waste looking at them.
I've read on some science web site that the new study shows that our brains are actually shrinking. If it's true, then I suspect it's because of the effect of those pathetically stupid commercials. :mrgreen:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Post by rickoshay85 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Flash wrote:There are some commercials that are interesting and funny but I must agree with Jo that most are unbelievably crappy and boring. I think that commercials are the true stinking garbage of our civilization and look how much time we waste looking at them.
I've read on some science web site that the new study shows that our brains are actually shrinking. If it's true, then I suspect it's because of the effect of those pathetically stupid commercials. :mrgreen:

OTOH, watching commercials are the way you pay for the entertainment.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:19 am

Wich raizez the question: Wut if a manufacturer asked if you wanted them to stop advertizing and lower the price uv their product, but your cable bill woud go up by about the same amount?

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Flash » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:34 am

Exactly Jo.
If we had a choice and pay per use, just like we pay for the telephone calls, music on the web, etc. Maybe in such a system the quality of programs would improve as well.
There are TV stations out there that have no commercials and they are just great. We in Ontario have an opportunity to watch TV Ontario without commercials, and they show some great stuff. The R.T. or The Russia Today/American version is largely broad casted from Washington, D.C. and New York City and it's all about American and world politics, no commercials. Al Jazeera, can't get so I don't know but the web site has no commercials.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:30 am

JO 753 wrote:Wich raizez the question: Wut if a manufacturer asked if you wanted them to stop advertizing and lower the price uv their product, but your cable bill woud go up by about the same amount?

How does this benefit the manufacturer? If a business could generate the same net profits by lowering price instead of advertising, they would, because it is simpler. However:
1. What would stop competitors from lowering their price and negating the advantage?
2. How would people know that the manufacturer had lowered their price if they didn't advertise?
3. How can the manufacturer inform a wider base of potential customers if they don't advertise? Or inform the existing customer base of a new or improved product?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:16 am

Word uv mouth.

I think therez sum evolution going on. Advertizing iz very expensive, but we ignore most uv it. I think the ignore percentage haz got to be in the mid to hi 90z and creeping up.

I suspect that sum products hav a 'mature' customer base and dont advertize anymore, even tho advertizing got them where they are. Wen wuz the last time you saw an Ovaltine commercial, for example?

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:46 pm

In a way, that is what I did. I cancelled my cable about a year ago and instead by each show from Amazon Instant Video. I get each episode the morning after it airs on TV for $2.99 (HD) or $1.99 (SD) per episode and they have no commericals. If you subscribe to a show, you get a 5% discount. My cable bill was $66.49 per month plus $7.25 for an HD DVR. That adds up to $884.88 per year, plus tax. That's the equivalent of 311 HD episodes!
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:01 pm

So now you're relying on me to find all the good commercialz. Freeloader!

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:54 pm

JO 753 wrote:Word uv mouth.
Valuable, but slow and unreliable. Not useful as a marketing tool, or to inform.

I think therez sum evolution going on. Advertizing iz very expensive, but we ignore most uv it. I think the ignore percentage haz got to be in the mid to hi 90z and creeping up.
People don't ignore ads anywhere near as much as they think. Even if one is not paying attention, there is still a peripheral awareness. The primary message often gets through.
Secondly, national ads, like the kind that sponsor tv programming, are seldom aimed at everyone. Rather, they are targeted at specific demograhics. Ads that you generally ignore completely probably aren't aimed at you anyway. The target demographic will likely pay a lot more attention to it. If they are not, it was a poorly designed ad.

I suspect that sum products hav a 'mature' customer base and dont advertize anymore, even tho advertizing got them where they are. Wen wuz the last time you saw an Ovaltine commercial, for example?

No, but Nestle still advertises other products.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:21 am

Chevron. Bad.
http://amazonwatch.org/news/2011/0216-chevron-found-guilty-in-amazon-pollution-case
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OHNJBKchIM

Iz it just me, or iz the blond chick so bad at lying that you want to find her and give her such a pinch!

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:54 am

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:41 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64PWX_GwVQk

This thred seemz to be gooft up. Paje 2 & 3 are the same.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:51 pm

Weird. I am checking the database. The table of posts for this topic does not show any duplication.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:19 pm

I think I hav a clue.

Its filling in the pajez kuz A-number deleted a bunch uv posts so it needz to get them back up to 40 per paje.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.