Multilevel Marketing...Legit or Scam...

Fun with supply and demand.
Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Deep

Multilevel Marketing...Legit or Scam...

Postby Scott Mayers » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:31 am

I've written on this before but know it is a scam. I wrote the following to a Youtube video selling the virtue of it based on it's apparent "word of mouth" quality.

EDIT: I am adding this to summarize what the video says for readers. The video intends to sell the idea of MLM (Multi-level Marketing or Network Marketing) as a "word-of-mouth" voluntary concept and contrasts it with regular businesses that use celebrity endorsements. He uses the idea of one visiting a restaurant who then recommends this to friends. But then the truth reveals itself in his own words that one's intrigue with the service/product is such that it makes them invest but seems to miss the point that the very investment then biases the person's "word-of-mouth" with more force than a celebrities endorsement and is no longer qualified as voluntary.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7IYovgnw_w Link title on YouTube: "What Is MLM? What Is Multi Level Marketing? What Is Network Marketing?"

Just in case it gets removed, here is what I responded:

Scott Mayers March 7, 2015:
This is a bad comparison. If you volunteer "word of mouth" business without vested interest, this represents sincerity. A paid celebrity gains up front for their endorsement but is held accountable only if they are interested OR some note upon the performance indicates they are paid or sponsored; the celebrity without this caveat notice MUST represent their sincerity or be allowed to withdraw it at any time they change their minds to which such use is NEVER again allowed.

But if you like some product or service up front but then opt in to the business end of it, this biases you automatically. Also note that MLMs divorce accountability to both product/service relations being used AND the MLM company by requiring you to sign up as a type of private contractor or business distinct and separate from them. If they had real sincerity, this would NOT be the case. If you work for a 'traditional' company, the employees do not require also being a shareholder nor manager of the company to profit by your wages and the company, not you, are liable for faults.

Thus, this 'benefit' ("word-of-mouth") is a smoke-screen. Also, the exclusive way these products/services are sold are only meant to disable you to discover their real market values should they be sold in regular stores. And, the products or services are only arbitrary tokens meant to legitimize this method that would otherwise be illegal. Thus these products/services, even should they be alright or even 'good', are only another smoke-screen and act as a "loophole" intended to disguise the con.

Anyone open to discuss this?
Last edited by Scott Mayers on Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster

Re: Multilevel Marketing...Legit or Scam...

Postby Scott Mayers » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:08 pm

[Update]
Tim Murphy28 minutes ago

Scott,
Firstly, thanks for the comment and yes you raise some valid points and also your distaste of the Network Marketing Industry. That is fine and once again I thank you for your comment.

Scott Mayers14 minutes ago

+Tim Murphy So you agree to your error or is this an attempt to diffuse my concern here? 

Tim Murphy7 minutes ago

+Scott Mayers
I have made no error is answering the question, What Is MLM!! However, you are entitled to your opinion, however far that may wander from the material I have presented. BUT!! To think that you are 100% correct in your views, making me wrong, is a rather Bombastic way to look at things. Then, if you feel that strongly about this topic, which is obvious, then you can should certainly never look at a Network Marketing Company, which raises a question to me & that is why were you searching for and viewing the video, What is MLM?

Scott Mayers1 second ago

+Tim Murphy It's not opinion, Tim. I argue logically here. Given what you stated to compare MLM as an innocent function of "word-of-mouth" is false since you misdirect the viewer to presume the value of 'opinion' of one's impression of some product or service to have value if they are doing it without personally benefiting as those supposed celebrities you implied who DO in regular businesses. But then you slip in later that the ones who actually invest are the ones who are doing the "word-of-mouth" commenting. This is no longer unbiased natural "word-of-mouth" and represents even way MORE bias than any possible celebrity endorsement.

The celebrity is paid as an expense of the business while the recruits of MLM are psychologically and financially dependent on endorsing the business. If I recommend a restaurant to a friend that I have no ownership or direct benefit in, this is sincere and voluntary recommendation. But MLMs count on initiating a recruit in a way that makes them culpable just as a gang initiates a new recruit by enticing them to be criminally involved. This psychological investment both makes them endorse the business and prevents them from ratting out the business should things not go as planned. It's a con. And I know you either have to know this or are feigning stupidity.
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster

Postby Scott Mayers » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:31 pm

Tim Murphy
+Scott Mayers
Yes, people who join an opportunity, pass on their excitement regarding The Company, Product & Comp Plan, through word of mouth Marketing & people will join based on their friends excitement level. Then, the celebrities are paid millions to endorse a Product whether they believe in it or not, they are actors. I am failing to see what you are arguing about.

But, back to my last point, I do not understand your hatred towards MLM, yet you want to argue the point. I hate snakes so I stay...

What is Tim missing here? Hmmm.

Scott

+Tim MurphyYou're playing dumb here, Tim. You were clearly selling the virtue of MLMs as a function of voluntary "word-of-mouth". This is NOT the case as I have proven using your own words and the fact that the major endorsers of MLMs are no longer voluntary once they sign up AND are also required to waive the MLM's liability by doing so as a private contractor.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:45 am

Looks like Tim Murphy is a god. That is, a Level 9 Rep MLMGod. :-P

Lard, save me from your followers.

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster

Postby Scott Mayers » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:14 am

I just noticed that when I link to this without being signed in, my comments are not visible. It appears that only the 'positive' views are visible. So I'll reprint this here whole discussion below. I find this just more added force to how these people operate:

Stream

Scott Mayers1 week ago

This is a bad comparison. If you volunteer "word of mouth" business without vested interest, this represents sincerity. A paid celebrity gains up front for their endorsement but is held accountable only if they are interested OR some note upon the performance indicates they are paid or sponsored; the celebrity without this caveat notice MUST represent their sincerity or be allowed to withdraw it at any time they change their minds to which such use is NEVER again allowed.

But if you like some product or service up front but then opt in to the business end of it, this biases you automatically. Also note that MLMs divorce accountability to both product/service relations being used AND the MLM company by requiring you to sign up as a type of private contractor or business distinct and separate from them. If they had real sincerity, this would NOT be the case. If you work for a 'traditional' company, the employees do not require also being a shareholder nor manager of the company to profit by your wages and the company, not you, are liable for faults.

Thus, this 'benefit' ("word-of-mouth") is a smoke-screen. Also, the exclusive way these products/services are sold are only meant to disable you to discover their real market values should they be sold in regular stores. And, the products or services are only arbitrary tokens meant to legitimize this method that would otherwise be illegal. Thus these products/services, even should they be alright or even 'good', are only another smoke-screen and act as a "loophole" intended to disguise the con.
Show less
Reply ·
Hide replies

Tim Murphy1 week ago

Scott,
Firstly, thanks for the comment and yes you raise some valid points and also your distaste of the Network Marketing Industry. That is fine and once again I thank you for your comment.
Reply ·

Scott Mayers1 week ago

+Tim Murphy So you agree to your error or is this an attempt to diffuse my concern here? 
Reply ·

Tim Murphy1 week ago

+Scott Mayers
I have made no error is answering the question, What Is MLM!! However, you are entitled to your opinion, however far that may wander from the material I have presented. BUT!! To think that you are 100% correct in your views, making me wrong, is a rather Bombastic way to look at things. Then, if you feel that strongly about this topic, which is obvious, then you can should certainly never look at a Network Marketing Company, which raises a question to me & that is why were you searching for and viewing the video, What is MLM?
Show less
Reply ·

Scott Mayers1 week ago

+Tim Murphy It's not opinion, Tim. I argue logically here. Given what you stated to compare MLM as an innocent function of "word-of-mouth" is false since you misdirect the viewer to presume the value of 'opinion' of one's impression of some product or service to have value if they are doing it without personally benefiting as those supposed celebrities you implied who DO in regular businesses. But then you slip in later that the ones who actually invest are the ones who are doing the "word-of-mouth" commenting. This is no longer unbiased natural "word-of-mouth" and represents even way MORE bias than any possible celebrity endorsement.

The celebrity is paid as an expense of the business while the recruits of MLM are psychologically and financially dependent on endorsing the business. If I recommend a restaurant to a friend that I have no ownership or direct benefit in, this is sincere and voluntary recommendation. But MLMs count on initiating a recruit in a way that makes them culpable just as a gang initiates a new recruit by enticing them to be criminally involved. This psychological investment both makes them endorse the business and prevents them from ratting out the business should things not go as planned. It's a con. And I know you either have to know this or are feigning stupidity.
Show less
Reply ·

Tim Murphy1 week ago

+Scott Mayers
Yes, people who join an opportunity, pass on their excitement regarding The Company, Product & Comp Plan, through word of mouth Marketing & people will join based on their friends excitement level. Then, the celebrities are paid millions to endorse a Product whether they believe in it or not, they are actors. I am failing to see what you are arguing about.

But, back to my last point, I do not understand your hatred towards MLM, yet you want to argue the point. I hate snakes so I stay away from them. If you hate MLM, stay away. But, if you want to continue arguig because of a need to be right, then I simply have better things to do. Thank You!!
Show less
Reply ·

Scott Mayers1 week ago

+Tim Murphy You're playing dumb here, Tim. You were clearly selling the virtue of MLMs as a function of voluntary "word-of-mouth". This is NOT the case as I have proven using your own words and the fact that the major endorsers of MLMs are no longer voluntary once they sign up AND are also required to waive the MLM's liability by doing so as a private contractor.
Reply ·

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:00 pm

Scott Mayers wrote:...my comments are not visible. It appears that only the 'positive' views are visible.

That's because it's a scam. They only want positive views to be seen by the suckers they draw in.

I am logged in, and I can't see your comments. Either they've been deleted, or Youtube has a function to hide your posts from everyone except you. :|
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Economics”