Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: Opinions on Nooalf

Postby Daedalus » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:03 am

JO 753 wrote:Funny pik!

Are Catholic or Musllim, Daed?

Raised Jewish, but agnostic JO.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:10 am

Niether? That cant be! How coud so many people be rong? Agnostic meanz you arent even with wun uv the less popular relijunz.

You must be crazyr than me since there are more bleevrz than English speakerz.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:24 am

Can society chanje its mind?

Sister Hazel
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:27 pm

I like this:

Science advances by discovering new things and developing new ideas. Few truly new ideas are developed without abandoning old ones first. As theoretical physicist Max Planck (1858-1947) noted, “A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.” In other words, science advances by a series of funerals. Why wait that long?

Its frum the latest Sam Harris blog email newzletter I got.

I'm going to try to contact him to offer the name I have given to this - cement head.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:39 pm

I sent this:

Sent: 2014 01 14

I like the Max Planck quote. I have a name for this! CEMENT HEAD!

It might sound more proper to call it 'cement head syndrome', but since it's a characteristic shared by 90%+ of all people, it is better to recognise it as a standard feature of our brains.

We start trying to make sense of things as soon as we get fact 1 on a subject and not too many facts later, we have begun to form a lojik structure. Fine so far, but then as more and more facts are piled on we become progressively more reluctant to change the lojik structure.

So it's like cement is poured into our heads and then it sets. It is painful to bust up the cement and start over. Instead, we reject anything that seems to contradict what we already believe.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:48 am

Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:43 am

A little sampl uv the state uv international English:

Hi, I've tough English in every single form, on line, presentational, big, small groups, public, private schools, adults, youth, kids, all edges. At the end they all have one thing in common: LEARN.

Dave L.
Maestro de Inglés en Langwish English

Thats a typical topic starter post in LinkedIn. Sumwun boasting uv their impeccable credentialz and vast experience teaching English. If you check out their bio paje, you find a similar level uv imperfection.

You can imajin how bad most uv their students must be.

My point iz that if you make sumthing too difficult to learn and uze, it will quickly degrade and fail.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:23 pm

Just started a crowdfunding thing.

http://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/the-nooalf-revolution

It occured to me wile I wuz setting that up that therez another benefit to Nooalf - interlingual compatability.

If every language had the same spelling system, learning a new language woud be pretty much like adding a bunch uv wordz to your vocabulary. If thats all you did, even tho your grammar woud be mixed up, you coud still get your meaning across usually.

That bringz another Q to mind. Wen they dub Star Warz moviez, do they mix up Yodaz dialog?
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:12 am

Lately I'v been sending out a press release. No rezults yet, az far az I hav seen.

Earlier today, my discussion with Oleg in another topic brot to my attention the fact that I'v nevr bothered to talk to the ownerz uv this forum about Nooalf. I suppoze they are well aware uv it, but probably dont think about it at all. (unless the recent spate uv mistakes in Shermerz eSkeptic ritingz really iz my fault!) So, I figyrd, why not send the press release there. Like DU! Why didnt I think uv that yirz ago?

Thanks, Oleg.

About the crowdfunding. Seemz you hav to donate 10$ to get your thing on line. Sumhow I had gotten the impression that that particular site wuz free to start and they get a chunk uv your donationz. Didnt see anything about 10 buks when I did it. I'm seriously low on money, but maybe I'll take the gamble. But a quick review uv the campanez there showz alot uv 0$ totalz. Most uv them in fact.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:50 pm

I admire your conviction, even if I don't fully agree with the cause. We do need a simplified and standardized form of English, instead of relying on archaic 17th century conventions, frozen in time, but I find it difficult to go along with your free-for-all style of using "whateverthehell" spelling you want to use. There is a certain appeal to living up to a certain standard, which is American English, but I agree that the standard itself needs revision.

Similarly, I have a cause, which met with total opposition and hostility in this forum, and was the reason for my leaving. Time has only strengthened my resolve, but I have no desire to retrace my steps by reiterating the same debating arguments here ad nauseum.

I believe that the scientific method has died a painful death in discussions where the fallacy of "X=0" exists. This fallacy assumes that if you didn't see it, it doesn't exist. Safety inspectors are familiar with this fallacy. It's also known as "absence of evidence is evidence of absence" and it's simply false.

Invariably and with full rigor, this point of view is met in this forum with intense opposition, followed by pejorative assertions of being a "believer" in "woo-woo" subjects. I feel for others who enter this forum, expecting to be met with a dispassionate and objective discussion of evidence which seems to defy conventional explanations. I spent many years myself, in this forum trying to explain a rational approach to such evidence, and distinguishing between blind belief and critical examination of evidence.

I was disappointed of course, but I learned an important lesson. There's no point in trying to force people to think, when their fears prevent them from doing so. Fear of their own ignorance seems to be the motivation. Always a ready answer, even when there is no answer, even if it makes no sense whatsoever, it seems to stand in for simply admitting, "I don't know."

Peace and enlightenment to all.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:09 pm

Howdy landrew! Good to see you agen!

About standardized spelling - Weird coincidence! I wuz just reading Does Spelling Matter?, a blog about a book at the Oxford site, came here to post that link, and WTF?! landrew uv all people iz here with a comment on the very same thing!

More evidence for syncronisity.

To clarify sumthing you shoud be well aware uv, Nooalf iz not the " free-for-all style of using "whateverthehell" spelling " I uze here. This iz intended to krumbl the sement in peoplz hedz to get them out uv their Spelling Cop mode. A step toward introdusing a real system.

I miss your True SkepticTM debates. I agree with your premise. And, you are rite that most memberz here fail to apply their skeptisizm evenly and fairly. They hav wut amounts to a relijun.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:28 pm

JO 753 wrote:
To clarify sumthing you shoud be well aware uv, Nooalf iz not the " free-for-all style of using "whateverthehell" spelling " I uze here. This iz intended to krumbl the sement in peoplz hedz to get them out uv their Spelling Cop mode. A step toward introdusing a real system.

I'll give you that, it may not be a free-for-all, but you've got a mountain to climb if you want to convince society to look the other way on spelling. Part of my job every day is to review technical writing in the form of written environmental reports. I can assure you that nowhere in the chain of development; from the first reviewer, to the final editor, to the client recipient to the government regulator, would anyone tolerate poor spelling or grammar. It would be "sudden death" in most cases for a document which might otherwise be technically excellent. It's the first sign of whether someone is competent. Personally, I don't think it's too much to ask for someone to live up to the basic standards of a language, even if you may not agree with them.

I also still think a language needs a certain aesthetic appeal. I'm not seeing that in Nooalf. Esperanto was designed with that goal in mind, as well as being designed to be easy to learn, use and versatile as a universal language. It was also expertly designed by a linguist, and has never really caught on, despite being strongly promoted by a number of organizations, and having all these merits.

I'd wish you luck, but I think you may have to re-examine your motives for this endeavor. Is it really an attempt to reform the language into a better standard, or is it just a lower standard that's easier to live up to?
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:01 pm

Hey landrew how you doin'.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Postby vanderpoel » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:13 pm

Landy!
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Postby vanderpoel » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:18 pm

JO 753 wrote:Niether? That cant be! How coud so many people be rong? Agnostic meanz you arent even with wun uv the less popular relijunz.

You must be crazyr than me since there are more bleevrz than English speakerz.

Hey, Jo, if Noalf is so logical, shouldn't speakerz be spekers?
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:59 pm

This iznt Nooalf, Vandy. I dont uze it much here. Its SPEKRZ in real nooalf.

landrew wrote:I can assure you that nowhere in the chain of development; from the first reviewer, to the final editor, to the client recipient to the government regulator, would anyone tolerate poor spelling or grammar.

Yes, I know. Thats the Spelling Cop I'm talking about. Installed in everybodyz hed with the same indoctrination methodz uzed by many relijunz.

I also still think a language needs a certain aesthetic appeal.

Its mostly about wut youre uzed to. Therez no special majik to the shapes uv wordz in regular English. Its not like sumwun dezined the whole system and ajusted the spelling on each word to make it visually appealing. Also, the font I had for quite a wile wuznt very well made. Looked like krap below 18pt. Have a look at the site now. I spent last summer making new fonts and they turned out great.

Esperanto was designed with that goal in mind, as well as being designed to be easy to learn, use and versatile as a universal language.

Esperanto iz a good idea, but perhaps unfortunately, English iz taking over the world. Its been developed beyond the orijinal system created by Zamenhof and seemz to hav deviated slitely from the 1 letter per sound rule. You can see a sample here on the Esperanto paje about Nooalf that they uze diacritics in many wordz. A diacritic iz essentially 2 letterz stacked up, so its also a deviation frum the left-to-rite order.

It was also expertly designed by a linguist,

Zamenhof did a good job. The only complaint I hav iz that the required word endingz become tedious very quickly.

From Wikipedia:
For two years he tried to raise funds to publish a booklet describing the language until he received the financial help from his future wife's father. In 1887, the book titled Международный язык. Предисловие и полный учебник (International language: Foreword and complete textbook) was published in Russian[6] under the pseudonym "Doktoro Esperanto" (Doctor Hopeful). Zamenhof initially called his language "Lingvo internacia" (international language), but those who learned it began to call it Esperanto after his pseudonym, and this soon became the official name for the language. For Zamenhof this language, far from being merely a communication tool, was a way of promoting the peaceful coexistence of different people

Can you imajin a self published booklet going anywhere but the trash theze dayz!?! HA! And a self published full flejd book woudnt do much better.

landrew wrote:has never really caught on, despite being strongly promoted by a number of organizations, and having all these merits.

Its doing OK. I thot they were at about 10,000,000 SPEKRZ, but apparently thats not being claimed any more: http://uea.org/info/angle/an_ghisdatigo.html Now they estimate maybe a million.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:14 am

Rote a good post in a gitar forum uv all placez today.

But it didnt get posted! Another godz dam Herbert running the joint. Banned me wile I wuz typing! lucky I wuz able to hit the bak button & copy it.

In case the person I wuz replying to wuz really interested, I'm putting it here.

[QUOTE=Sixstringplayer;502125]Language is a vehicle for communication, for the encounter. Regardless of the language, each generation adds nuance and meaning to the linguistic heritage. This is part of the formation of culture. What I see being suggested here is a sort of linguistic anarchism; a means of creating distance and impeding the encounter and finally, creating a sort of non-culture. I think is important to embrace the inheritance rather than reject it for personal or psychological reasons. The point once again is to promote the encounter through dialogue in order to bring people closer together.[/QUOTE]

Well written, bordering on great! But your premises are all false.

1.Nooalf is not anarchy. It's all about order, lojik and efficiency. Regular English is essentially an authoritarian system; 'do not think, just do as we say.' So nothing has to make sense.

Systems that allow the authorities to do as they please invariably run afoul of reality one way or another and crash.

2. The main problem with regular English spelling is that it is hard to learn. In spite of spending more than 3 times longer to teach than Italian (for example) the failure rate is 17%.

That educational time is just the normal amount. Very often, kids are still struggling in high school. This has spawned a huge literacy training industry with programs such as Hooked On Phonics costing hundreds of dollars that really can only do the same thing the schools do - brute force rote memorization.

And consider that while native English students are spending their time doing spelling drills, those in countries with reasonably phonetic languages are already reading all the real subjects for themselves.

3. "a means of creating distance and impeding the encounter and finally" is precisely what regular spelling is doing to large segments of the population. Nooalf is accessible to virtually everybody who has the physiological ability to read.

4. We aren't talking about language here. Language is a natural ability. Spelling is an invention. The written word is one of the cornerstones of civilization. Without it civilization wouldn't exist. (not for humans anyway)

So, what do you think is a wise idea: hastily slapping that cornerstone together out of bits of plaster & rotting wood or carefully designing and making it with the strongest material you can find?
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:12 am

JO 753 wrote: Nooalf is not anarchy. It's all about order, lojik and efficiency. Regular English is essentially an authoritarian system; 'do not think, just do as we say.' So nothing has to make sense.

I agree with you that Nooalf is not a form of anarchy. If I did, I would have to accuse Benjamin Franklin of also being an anarchist due to his written language reforms. I can see little difference between the intent of both matters : The improvement of written English. I don't have any opinion as to whether reform is needed, but I understand your intent and that's good enough for me.

However I have been wondering about something else. If I go to a dictionary and look up the phonetic spelling of a word, I am offered examples using the "International Phonetic Alphabet" (IPA). The IPA has evolved and can also represent vocal click of African languages and so on.

In theory, doesn't Nooalf has to expand to match the flexibility of the IPA?

Secondly, ( I haven't actually calculated this ) I am guessing that the IPA phonetic script requires more "letters" that exist in normal script and thus has "compound letters" representing unusual sounds. Therefore won't Nooalf also eventually need to expand into "compound letters"? If so, won't Nooalf end up as complicated as the IPA anyway?

(I'm just thinking about this as a maths problem to be solved, and not making any criticisms)

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:15 am

The working theory iz that English will continue taking over and eventually be the only languaj left in general use on Earth. Therefor, Nooalf only needz to cover wutever soundz there are at that time or any time. It iznt intended to cover all languajez completely.

Letters woud only need to be added to Nooalf in the future if wordz containing soundz that arent in it came into common usage or if pronounciation uv existing wordz chanjed to include a new sound. I hav more letterz in the fonts alredy to cover sum soundz that arent really in the lexicon, but they aren't really part uv the system.

The thing about forin wordz iz that they can usually be pronounced with the soundz uv English close enuf to be understood by the native speakerz. Certainly they will consider it a yankee, brit, or aussie accent, maybe even say its not correct, but they still understand. And the differencez are not alwayz the specific soundz, but the enfisis and duration, wich are not specified by the Nooalf system.

And wen forin wordz are abzorbed by English, the pronounciation alwayz gets Englishified. Altho its a possibilty, I dont really expect more soundz to be added.

I hav considered making a Nooalf version uv the IPA, but that woud be a huje project. I think I'll leave it for sum future rebelious linguistic academician.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:33 am

JO 753 wrote:The working theory iz that English will continue taking over and eventually be the only languaj left in general use on Earth. Therefor, Nooalf only needz to cover wutever soundz there are at that time or any time. It iznt intended to cover all languajez completely. .
I understand

I will go away and now consider if foreign "borrow words" have forced any new sounds into English. It don't think it matters, because spoken English itself has shifted in the last 200 years and the existing alphabet hasn't required changing. Therefore what you say, sort of makes sense.

It only becomes a problem if everyone on the planet speaks English AND their own home language. But that's a current problem anyway. I have two keyboards. One in Latin and one in Cyrillic. ( I used to use Cyrillic stickers for my Latin keyboard but that made things confusing when typing in normal English)

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:41 am

Only if their language haz soundz that arent in Nooalf. But, by the time that situation exists, I imajin the keybordz will be capable uv coping with it. If people still uze keybordz.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:52 pm

Matthew, I've brought up IPA to JO before as well. I really think that would be the most straightforward approach but I don't intend on typing in either Nooalf or IPA so I've resigned myself to our difference of opinion.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:37 pm

Austin Harper wrote:Matthew, I've brought up IPA to JO before as well. I really think that would be the most straightforward approach but I don't intend on typing in either Nooalf or IPA so I've resigned myself to our difference of opinion.

Well, the way I see it, JO 753 is still working through Nooalf problems and improvements. As an intellectual exercise, some of these isolated problems are interesting to think about as they apply to all languages in general. I can't see the harm in thinking about these issues using Nooalf as the "test example". JO 753 doesn't seem to mind a bit of banter if exchanged in good spirits.

After thinking about Nooalf's aims, I wonder if there isn't some basic insurmountable problems. Primarily, I don't know if you can isolate a languages phonetic script from its own natural evolution and have it remain a "preferred and natural" script. Humans are always going to introduce spoken and written conventions that "feel natural" but may not be "efficient". As Nooalf strives towards written efficiency, it may not be easy to apply to real humans.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:50 am

I failed with my previous reply. Sorry.

Thats a good idea about English plus local nativ languajez. In fact, its possible that a distinct world English thats distinct from American, British, Australian and all other 'local' dialects coud emerj. Maybe the name Globish will catch on.

I hav nothing agenst adding letterz for more soundz. The fonts actually contain letterz for non english soundz. Its the correct thing to do rather than digrafs, diacritics or plain substitutionz.

The subject to be debated for adding a letter woud be if the sound really iz sumthing thats not alredy covered.

Lets say Mexico desidez its going to adopt Nooalf, but sum uv them feel they need a new letter for their 'sound' thats currently spelled with an N with an accent mark over it. Bekuz spelling influensez how people perseev wut they hear, many native Spanish speakerz cant believe its really just NY or ENY, wich any native English speaker can clearly hear. Then wut if many uv thoze wordz bekum part uv the Globish lexicon.

It woud be a bad idea to compromize the system with a letter that reprezents a group uv soundz. Even tho the robustness uv the system woud likely weed it out over time, there woud be a period in wich millionz or billionz uv people are wasting time wondering wich letterz to uze. Then therez a possibilty that authority based thinking coud take root ('the teacher sed this iz the correct spelling') wich coud lead to the same rot we hav now.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:15 pm

I wuz going to put this in the gir grindr topic, but its not really grinding my girz. So, at the risk uv turning this topic into a junk drawer for all thingz language related, hav you notist people ansering questionz by starting with 'so'?

It entered my awareness recently, within the last 2 or 3 yirz. The 1st I can recall wuz an idiot on Jerry Springer, but I probably heard it befor that. It started out az a rare occurans, now its all the time.

An example frum today on a court show:

"Did she pay the rent past Febuary?"

"So she paid January and only 100 in Febuary but nothing after that."

Its not just dimwits on daytime trash TV. There will be gests on newz, medical and tek showz who are there kuz they are experts uv sum kind, suppozedly with substantial amounts uv collej saying it.

I considered the idea that its just my perseption based only on my dialect. Iz it actually gramaticly proper?

I dont think so. 'So' at the beginning uv a sentens iz only for a conclusion or rezulting action to a previous statement or set uv statements.

Iz my disfavor uv this trend just a sine uv progress in my tranzition to old fart or duz it need to be stamped out like any potential plage virus?
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Finally got the SiMaN Gate Crasher paje up: http://www.nooalf.com/GKSiMaN.htm

I'd been sidelined by other junk for so long that I forgot haf the stuff I needed to do.

If you havent seen the other 4 yet, start here: http://www.nooalf.com/GATKEPRZ.html Then the armored chimp, then the alein, then the anjel and finally me. Thats the proper order for the distruction uv the skool, but it duznt make much difference with the text. I supoz I shoud number them or make it a serial path.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Roy W. Blain

Postby JO 753 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:11 am

Roy W. Blain passed away on August 5th. :(

Hiz reform system wuznt very good, but he put alot uv money & effort into it. He ran a very seksesful hydraulik valve manufacturing company, so had lots uv money to put into developing Saispel related stuff.

I dont see other reformerz az competitorz, even tho they are. Insted, I think uv them az fellow warriorz fiting the same enemy. Having otherz put serious efforts into their spelling reform systemz enhansez the credability uv the entire idea.

Aside frum loozing a colleeg, wuts further depressing iz how quickly Saispel (or Sayspel) iz disappearing frum the web. I discover hiz passing while trying to find hiz website. Only 750 rezults in Google & the top wunz are just site traffic tracker junk.

O wait! Here it iz: http://www.saaspel.com/. He didnt hav hiz A sound digraf nailed down back wen I wuz partisipating in the Saundspel forum. Looks like it wuz still a choice uv ai, ay or aa.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:31 am

http://www.nooalf.com/LoJIK.html

I redid the LoJIK paje. Trnd it into a section. The 1st 2 are pretty much the same text copy/pasted frum the orijinal, but with a few improvements. The main thing wuz to turn it into a picture so everybody coud see it in real nooalf.

Paje 3 iz competely new. Advanced Nooalf.

If you like giving your brain a challenjing workout, this will do it.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:21 am

http://www.memecenter.com/fun/551417/gramar-nazy-lojik

HA! The end uv the world kuz uv a spelling mistake!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:56 am

Occasionally I Google 'spelling reform' to see if anything new pops up. Sumtimez therez sumthing I just never bothered to look at befor, even tho its been there for yirz.

Interesting history uv spelling reform in pdf format. Its a newz letter that coverz other subjects also, so the spelling reform part iznt too long.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:09 pm

The most persistent argument agenst spelling reform iz etymolojy. The idea being that the peculiar spelling can clue you into the meaning uv unfamiliar wordz, therefor you are loozing an important function if you swich to a fonetic system.

This seemz like a reazonable idea to alot uv peepl. But if you think about it for more than 2 secondz it quickly degradez to comical crap. I used to hav a single BOOM! to shoot it down in KRAZE JOZ BaD LoJIK SKET sQTING KLUB 2 but apparently that wuznt enuf for sum peeps. So I hav expanded it to 11 debunks, each a fatal shot.

Also upgraded the sawed off shot gun piks. Turned out nice.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Doubting Thomas
Poster

Postby Doubting Thomas » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:44 am

The only problem that I have with Nooalf is that it seems to take a giant step backward and bears a resemblance to Old English. The Wycliffe bible written in the 14th century; The following are the first ten lines from the book of Genisis:

1 In the bigynnyng God made of nouyt heuene and erthe.
2 Forsothe the erthe was idel and voide, and derknessis weren on the face of depthe; and the Spiryt of the Lord was borun on the watris.
3 And God seide, Liyt be maad, and liyt was maad.
4 And God seiy the liyt, that it was good, and he departide the liyt fro derknessis; and he clepide the liyt,
5 dai, and the derknessis, nyyt. And the euentid and morwetid was maad, o daie.
6 And God seide, The firmament be maad in the myddis of watris, and departe watris fro watris.
7 And God made the firmament, and departide the watris that weren vndur the firmament fro these watris that weren on the firmament; and it was don so.
8 And God clepide the firmament, heuene. And the euentid and morwetid was maad, the secounde dai.
9 Forsothe God seide, The watris, that ben vndur heuene, be gaderid in to o place, and a drie place appere; and it was doon so.
10 And God clepide the drie place, erthe; and he clepide the gadryngis togidere of watris, the sees. And God seiy that it was good;

http://wesley.nnu.edu/fileadmin/importe ... /wycliffe/
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. – William Shakespeare

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:54 am

I think the lack uv standardization back then wuz better than having a standard that suks. Maybe if the 1st dictionary wuz delayed for another century or 2, sum real order woud hav coalest.

However, Nooalf duznt look much like middle agez English. Maybe you are mistaking my casual nonstandard spelling here for Nooalf?
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:05 pm

Point of information. That's Middle English, not Old English - there's a vast difference.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:32 pm

Side note: I actually just finished reading Genesis in Old English. That passage in Old English reads:
1 On angynne gesceop God heofenan and eorðan.
2 Seo eorðe soðlice wæs idel ond æmti, ond þeostra wæron ofer ðære nywelnysse bradnysse; ond Godes gast wæs geferod ofer wæteru.
3 God cwæð ða, "Gewurðe leoht," ond leoht wæarð geworht.
4 God geseah ða ðæt hit god wæs, ond he todælde þæt leoht fram ðam ðystrum.
5 Ond het ðæt leoht dæg ond þa ðystru niht: ða wæs geworden æfen ond merigen an dæg.
6 God cwæð ða eft, "Gewurðe nu fæstnys tomiddes ðam wæterum ond totwæme ða wæteru fram ðam wæterum."
7 Ond God geworhte ða fæstnysse, ond totwæmde ða wæteru, ða wæron under ðære fæstnysse, fram ðam ðe wæren bufan ðære fæstnysse: hit wæs ða swa gedon.
8 Ond God het ða fæstnysse heofenan, ond wæs ða geworden æfen ond mergen oðer dæg.
9 God ða soðlice cwæð, "Beon gegaderode ða wæteru ðe synd under ðære heofonan ond æteowige drignys." Hit wæs ða swa gedon.
10 Ond God gecygde ða drignysse eorðan ond ðære wætera gegaderunge he het sæ. God geseah ða ðæt hit god wæs.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:06 pm

Thats very impressiv, Austin!

I suppoze you know Latin also.

Poodle wrote:Point of information. That's Middle English, not Old English - there's a vast difference.

I'm alredy calling this stuff old English!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Doubting Thomas
Poster

Postby Doubting Thomas » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:57 am

Poodle wrote:Point of information. That's Middle English, not Old English - there's a vast difference.

I'm alredy calling this stuff old English![/quote]
:lol: :lol:
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. – William Shakespeare

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:13 pm

In Tomz AP conspiracy topic, I show that Nooalf haz NEVER been mentioned in the newz. Then I searched 'spelling reform' and there wuz a story from a few dayz ago picked up by The Chicago Tribune. I dont know how many timez I tried to get them to print something. I'm from Chicago and created the system while I lived there.

Spelling reform story in the Chicago Tribune

Maybe the conspiracy iz just agenst Nooalf!!!!!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Doubting Thomas
Poster

Postby Doubting Thomas » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:02 pm

Many great ideas never gain widespread acceptance simply because no one ever knows about them. Probably the best way to promote nooalf is to develop a marketing strategy. There are at least two way to do this; either go to college for four years and earn a degree in marketing, or hire a marketing firm. Of the two options, the second one makes the most sense simply because it is quicker and cheaper.

Most people don't have the money to hire a marketing firm. The way around this is to find people willing to invest. However, this can be difficult unless they are convinced that they have a reasonable chance to earn a return on their investment. Instead of promoting nooalf as a product, maybe you should promote it as a great investment opportunity.

Welcome to capitalism.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:44 am

Dun. http://www.zolkorp.com/INVeST.html

Thats been up for yearz. No response.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Return to “Education”