"The Case Against Education," by Bryan Caplan (Princeton University Press, 2018)

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: "The Case Against Education," by Bryan Caplan (Princeton University Press, 2018)

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon May 21, 2018 11:39 pm

Well lance: there is a fork in the road. You can think it would be better for society (taxpayers?) that only determined subjects should be studied: those that benefit society (taxpayers?) ..........or......... you can think that it would be better for society (taxpayers?) that individuals (who are future if not current taxpayers or the offspring of same) should be allowed to choose what they determine is best for themselves.

So......who you for Lance: Big Brother, or the individual?

(((((((((((((TRY TO BE RESPONSIVE to the question put to you... ie: don't repeat what you've said 5 times already or divert to a different subject. I mean: just once?)))))))))))))))
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Re: "The Case Against Education," by Bryan Caplan (Princeton University Press, 2018)

Post by Lance Kennedy » Tue May 22, 2018 1:46 am

I have no problem with the individual studying whatever they like. I do.

But if the subject is not an investment in the future, then they should, like me, pay for it themselves.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue May 22, 2018 2:59 am

Yes, you've said that six times while avoiding the direct questions put to you.

Just look.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Tue May 22, 2018 9:06 am

If your question, Bobbo, is Big Brother or the individual, the answer is both. A balance is needed between individual freedom and the need to control antisocial tendencies.

On this issue, the individual can study whatever he or she wishes, as long as that individual takes responsibility for paying for it. Unless, of course, the study will benefit society, in which case it makes sense for the taxpayer to pick up at least some of the burden.