Religious barbarism.

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Religious barbarism.

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:49 pm

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... ce+News%29

The high degree of religious belief in the USA may result in barbaric policies. 19 states still permit corporal punishment of children. This is applied to all ages, but tend to be more often inflicted on blacks, boys, and disabled children. Strangely, a number of those states ban the same acts against animals, but permit them against children.

Though the article did not say this, I suspect that religious influences are behind this barbaric rule. I can just imagine the politician responsible piously saying ' spare the rod and spoil the child.' A case of bronze age goat herder mentality being applied in the 21st Century.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Re: Religious barbarism.

Postby Aztexan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:06 pm

I will say this about the bible: it did serve a purpose in my discipline and in how I turned out as an adult. Because of the bible, I always thought about the consequences of my actions beforehand which resulted in lots of nights with my ass at home while my idiot friends spent the night in jail. I thank my grandmother and her bible for that. Not because she read to me the BS inside of it, but because she sometimes used it to hit my cousins and I when we were acting like little shits and it made me fear her.
{!#%@} trump!

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:13 pm

Yes - don`t go complaining about whuppings - honour your father and mother. If only the bible was made as body armour.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:59 pm

Aztexan wrote:I will say this about the bible: it did serve a purpose in my discipline and in how I turned out as an adult. Because of the bible, I always thought about the consequences of my actions beforehand which resulted in lots of nights with my ass at home while my idiot friends spent the night in jail. I thank my grandmother and her bible for that. Not because she read to me the BS inside of it, but because she sometimes used it to hit my cousins and I when we were acting like little shits and it made me fear her.

Could have been worse. She might have made you do math problems, or describe accurately when to use 'lie' and when to use 'lay'.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:00 pm

That's why I'm mathgnostic today.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Return to “Education”