An Ivy League professor on why colleges don’t hire more faculty of color: ‘We don’t want them’

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

An Ivy League professor on why colleges don’t hire more faculty of color: ‘We don’t want them’

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:28 pm

An Ivy League professor on why colleges don’t hire more faculty of color: ‘We don’t want them’ (Wapo)

It's counterintuitive, what with affirmative action + colleges being "liberal".

It also goes against my own observations, but that was back around 1990 and decidedly not Ivy League.

Any here who care to comment, especially Ivy Leaguers?
Scientists don't know everything, therefore my favorite flavor of stoopidz is true.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: An Ivy League professor on why colleges don’t hire more faculty of color: ‘We don’t want them’

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:36 pm

the link can be summed up that hiring at Ivy League schools is mostly done by "the old boy/girl network." Discriminatory in effect but not by conscious design, meaning more minorities need to get into the pipeline... meaning we need a NATIONAL educational policy rather than one based on local property taxes.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster

Re: An Ivy League professor on why colleges don’t hire more faculty of color: ‘We don’t want them’

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:50 pm

I don't see the connection between local property taxes and the kind of prep schools that feed the Ivy League pipeline.
Scientists don't know everything, therefore my favorite flavor of stoopidz is true.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:09 am

Prep schools are filled by students from High Schools across the country....their rankings and the grades and connections and background of the students from those High Schools. High schools are funded by local property taxes. Wealthy neighborhoods have HS's of high standing, Poor neighborhoods produce students that can barely read.

Most advanced countries fund their higher education at the national level. Once again in America: $$$ talks, while the poor are institutionally barred from success. Your issue just one of many examples.

Follow the money.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:45 am

Um.

Prep schools are high schools (not funded by property taxes).

So yeah money talks, but the property tax thing does not apply here.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:39 am

OK....that was in the back of my mind but my sister went to a "prep school" FROM our local high school, got denied entry to Ivy League, and defaulted to Local College. Ha, ha....maybe Mom and Dad lied and she was sent to a convent? .... or a prep school "do-over?"

All "public" high schools in the USA are funded by local property taxes. It was the top rated consideration of where to buy a house the 5-6 times we moved. But taking your point, if not funded by property tax then you must be talking about private prep schools funded by private payment? Even worse for the underprivileged in establishing the connection between racial outcomes and the old boy network.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:15 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:An Ivy League professor on why colleges don’t hire more faculty of color: ‘We don’t want them’ (Wapo)

It's counterintuitive, what with affirmative action + colleges being "liberal".

It also goes against my own observations, but that was back around 1990 and decidedly not Ivy League.

Any here who care to comment, especially Ivy Leaguers?

I graduated from an Ivy League college, but fairly recently I have become very suspect about Ivy League graduates, probably beginning with the fact that the Presidents Bush graduated from Yale.

More recently I noticed that that both Defense Secretary Ashton Carter and former CIA director James Woolsey, who has joined the Trump campaign, have incredible academic credentials, graduating from Ivy League colleges and then getting Rhodes scholarships to Oxford, and both of them seem, like the Bushes, to be morally bankrupt.

Adam Smith graduated from the University of Glasgow, then got a scholarship to Oxford, and taught at Oxford for awhile, but he became disgusted with Oxford and went back to Glasgow. He said that Oxford was run like a corporation for the benefit of the professors, not the students, and said in the The Wealth of Nations "In the University of Oxford the greater part of the professors have, for these many years, given up altogether the pretense of teaching."

When I think about Woolsey and Ashton Carter it seems that the only thing that might be taught there is hubris.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:21 am

I considered going to an Ivy League and while arguably I had the grades and the background the reality was I did not have the money. As I went to my lesser school, I thought about what I was learning. The books and the ideas are all the same. I had a few bad teachers, a few good ones, most were humdrum. What I noticed is who my friend in college were. Mostly, folks just like me. Made a few connections I still have today and have my alma mater card that has been used, both way, in casual settings thereafter.

All the same with Ivy League .... I have to assume, beyond the public record? The ONLY reason to go Ivy League, is for the friends you will make there, and the alma mater card. A wholly different group of privilege folks.

Teaching hubris?? While funny...... its the truth. Money = Power. Ivy League = close association to same.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:54 am

For the non-USA members of this forum :D

What is an Ivy League School?
The eight institutions are Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, and Yale University. The term Ivy League has connotations of academic excellence, selectivity in admissions, and social elitism.

Listen here you peasants, :D

I studied at No56# and No82# and No201# on the World University Rankings 2015-2016. Those ranks add up to No 339# which is equal to the Tasmanian Academy of Sheep Agro-economics.
:neener:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:05 am

My college/University when they later simply changed its name for the cache of it all had ivy growing on its walls...but every year they cut it back to the ground to keep everything "neat." I don't think they ever got it.

Ha, ha: True Story: I went back to good old U after 20 years to take 1-2 classes for fun. The intake counsellor told me my record did not allow for placement in the selected classes....... AND THEN .... she suggested I apply to be a adjunct faculty member. Good enough to teach, but not good enough to be a student. I actually turned the opportunity down when I saw it did twice the work at half the pay and none of the benefits of full faculty. I mean, I love education.... but I have my standards.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Golden Spiral Trump

Postby Gord » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:38 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:I studied at No56# and No82# and No201# on the World University Rankings 2015-2016. Those ranks add up to No 339# which is equal to the Tasmanian Academy of Sheep Agro-economics.
:neener:

Whoaaaaa, duuuuude. My university is ranked "351-400th". Apparently they haven't been able to narrow it down better than that. Their maths department must have gone downhill since I was there!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:11 am

Another example- A-hole Mark Milley is a Princeton grad:
http://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/gen-ma ... id/751701/
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:44 am

Flash
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Flash » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:49 am

Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley hyped Russian modernization efforts, but declared that they “will lose to the American Army.”

The American army may defeat the Russian army however, there might be a slight problem with conquering the vast cobalt infested territory for democracy and freedom (and the global corporations) and what's more, returning home to also cobalt infested ruined vastness will pose problems with a victory parade in the radioactive remains of NYC.
Half the lies they tell about me aren't true. Yogi Berra.

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:57 pm

Flash wrote:.
Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley hyped Russian modernization efforts, but declared that they “will lose to the American Army.”

The American army may defeat the Russian army however, there might be a slight problem with conquering the vast cobalt infested territory for democracy and freedom (and the global corporations) and what's more, returning home to also cobalt infested ruined vastness will pose problems with a victory parade in the radioactive remains of NYC.

You might be overestimating the difficulty of a post apocalypse parade. I mean, we are already used to glow-in-the-dark pumpkins, which will be ubiquitous in a few days.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Flash
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Flash » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:51 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Y
ou might be overestimating the difficulty of a post apocalypse parade. I mean, we are already used to glow-in-the-dark pumpkins, which will be ubiquitous in a few days.

Halloween is a perfect opportunity to train young people for the Apocalypse. Let's put some plutonium inside the selected pumpkins, give them Geiger counters and tell them that they will get a box of Smarties if they find pumpkins with the plutonium.
That's what I would call a useful fun.
Half the lies they tell about me aren't true. Yogi Berra.

Return to “Education”