Is teaching part of the human genome?

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Is teaching part of the human genome?

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:05 pm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... ce+News%29

The Aka are one of the few remaining true hunter/gatherer societies, representing what humans have been like through 99% of human history. They seem to teach their children as a matter of instinct. Are we all natural born teachers?

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: Is teaching part of the human genome?

Postby Poodle » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:17 pm

It's a massive leap to assume so, and I see no reason to assume so from the article. As far as it does go, it appears that in teaching, apart from passing on survival skills, the Aka are also teaching their children to teach.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:22 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Are we all natural born teachers?
I think that language evolved specifically to pass information across. I think that is a form of "hard wired" teaching, in every human.

I have never met a human who hasn't offered me advice on some topic or another.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:19 am

Teaching would be IMPOSSIBLE to avoid.

Whats the issue again?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:41 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:I have never met a human who hasn't offered me advice on some topic or another.

Keep looking?
flexeyebrows.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:39 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:I have never met a human who hasn't offered me advice on some topic or another.
Gord wrote: Keep looking?
Thanks Gord. I'll take your advice. :?:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:40 pm

Poodle wrote:It's a massive leap to assume so, and I see no reason to assume so from the article. As far as it does go, it appears that in teaching, apart from passing on survival skills, the Aka are also teaching their children to teach.

I think most of what we hoomans do is "rooted" (whatever that means) in our genetic code. We teach, cantaloupes dont. Why is that? DNA. We express what we are capable of expressing and that all comes from dna. Logically...if parents don't teach their kiddies across all the "advanced" mammalian species, the kiddies are less likely to survive.

As always: I blame Darwin...... and you should too. At least: not make MASSIVE LEAPS in the wrong direction?

Massive?

..................................really?

What evidence/theory is so dispostive of the common sense position?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:22 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Poodle wrote:It's a massive leap to assume so, and I see no reason to assume so from the article. As far as it does go, it appears that in teaching, apart from passing on survival skills, the Aka are also teaching their children to teach.

I think most of what we hoomans do is "rooted" (whatever that means) in our genetic code. We teach, cantaloupes dont. Why is that? DNA. We express what we are capable of expressing and that all comes from dna. Logically...if parents don't teach their kiddies across all the "advanced" mammalian species, the kiddies are less likely to survive.

As always: I blame Darwin...... and you should too. At least: not make MASSIVE LEAPS in the wrong direction?

Massive?

..................................really?

What evidence/theory is so dispostive of the common sense position?

I can't see it quite that way. Sure, the shape of our vocal tract (which is genetically controlled) provides us with the ability to vocalise, but language is more than mere vocalisation. We are genetically determined to be creatures capable of running and jumping, but I don't believe that the Olympics are hereditary.

So - " We teach, canteloupes don't. Why is that?" does not boil down to DNA. Canteloupes don't teach because they have nothing to say and nothing to say it with anyway, We have, but that does not lead to genetically-determined teaching - only the ability to do so if we develop it. Genetics provides a framework with possibilities. It does not determine the use to which we put those possibilities.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:19 am

Poodle wrote:Genetics provides a framework with possibilities..

Yep. Note the framework. Humans teach...animals with only one or two offspring per shot teach their young. Otherwise the species would die out. The alternative to not teaching is spawning in the thousands.

We are saying and knowing the exact same things.

Did you not repeat or affirm it is a MASSIVE leap to say human are genetically disposed to teach for any particular reason?

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:27 am

No, I said it was a massive leap given the information in the article. Like saying that because our planet has a moon, all planets have moons.

(It's possible I didn't say it very well).

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:45 am

Poodle==thats more than fair. I thought about reading the link JUST because I noted your reference to it. Weird to reference a point like that in isolation if you don't somewhat agree with it?

Otherwise....I hardly ever read any article on the nature vs nurture contest. Every article I can recall reading stressed how its NOT dna and I never thought they made their case. I do think cantaloupes vs hoomans explains it all. Rejected by all of course because it is such an easy to follow argument.

Return to “Education”