English multitopic

Methods and means of supporting critical thinking in education
User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2365
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: English multitopic

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:10 pm

JO 753 wrote:There were way rad punks like me back then also, being ignored no matter how much their inventionz woud improve life. I'm not bragging, I'm just stating the facts.
Sadly, corporations today seem uninterested, for the most part, in inventions that would improve life...unless they also see dollar signs.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10655
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: English multitopic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:35 pm

Poodle wrote:I quite like this one ...
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... -the-wheel


The wheel was known in many cultures for millennia. What occurred 5500 years ago is the invention of support mechanisms which make the wheel useful. By itself it is basically a toy.

The potter's wheel was likely first, followed by simple carts .
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12493
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:03 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:Sadly, corporations today seem uninterested, for the most part, in inventions that would improve life...unless they also see dollar signs.


True, but az the old timerz here no, I wuz tokking about NQaLF and everybody, including them. The real sadness iz that Sement Hed iz an integral part uv human nature, maybe even a part uv our DNA. :(
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5043
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby Monster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:55 pm

So far, I've used this thread to mostly complain about things in English. And I'm going to do so again, right now.

"Overrate".

That word means that something is considered to be better than it actually is. It doesn't mean it's bad.

Example:
Me: Godfather 1 and 2 are overrated movies.
Some other person: I don't think they suck at all. I like them.
Me: *Sigh* I didn't say they sucked. I said they're overrated. I like them too.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5043
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby Monster » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:05 pm

"Vanilla."

It doesn't mean plain or ordinary or unflavored! Vanilla is a flavor! If something is vanilla, it's the exact opposite of unflavored or plain, since it has a flavor.

Perhaps this is a word that should be in the list of words that are their own antonyms.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4869
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:00 am

I love vanilla, especially if it's real vanilla bean and not vanillin. Much better than chocolate.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2365
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: English multitopic

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:00 pm

English pet peeves...

"Less calories!"
No. If you can count it, use 'fewer.' If you can measure it, use 'less.' Fewer calories, but less fat.

"The even has impacted many people."
Actually, it has had an impact on many people. Why are you making a verb into a noun when there's already a noun?

"Irregardless..."
You're negating a negative, silly. Note the '-less' suffix.

"I'm going to lay down."
Before you walk away, would you finish the sentence? Oh...you're going to lie down. Why didn't you say so?

"He was sentenced to be hung."
Where? In the closet next to the winter coats? It's 'hanged.' Unless you're using slang to talk about his package...in which case I'm curious as to how the sentence was implemented. :P

"She snuck into the movie theater without a ticket."
'Sneaked,' actually.

"It was so funny, I literally died laughing."
I've never heard a corpse speak before.

"The point is moot." (said in an attempt to end debate)
Yes, I know. That's why I'm still arguing it. 'Moot' means 'subject to debate.'

"You should of came to the party!"
*double cringe*

I find it interesting to note that these kinds of mistakes frequently come from the same people who believe English should be the official language of the US.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10655
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: English multitopic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:10 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:English pet peeves...

"Less calories!"
No. If you can count it, use 'fewer.' If you can measure it, use 'less.' Fewer calories, but less fat.

"The even has impacted many people."
Actually, it has had an impact on many people. Why are you making a verb into a noun when there's already a noun?

"Irregardless..."
You're negating a negative, silly. Note the '-less' suffix.

"I'm going to lay down."
Before you walk away, would you finish the sentence? Oh...you're going to lie down. Why didn't you say so?

"He was sentenced to be hung."
Where? In the closet next to the winter coats? It's 'hanged.' Unless you're using slang to talk about his package...in which case I'm curious as to how the sentence was implemented. :P

"She snuck into the movie theater without a ticket."
'Sneaked,' actually.

"It was so funny, I literally died laughing."
I've never heard a corpse speak before.

"The point is moot." (said in an attempt to end debate)
Yes, I know. That's why I'm still arguing it. 'Moot' means 'subject to debate.'

"You should of came to the party!"
*double cringe*

I find it interesting to note that these kinds of mistakes frequently come from the same people who believe English should be the official language of the US.


Well, that sortive makes sense.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11616
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: English multitopic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:14 pm

moot: 1. (law) of no legal significance (as having been previously decided)

2. Open to argument or debate

And that kiddies is why English is a life time endeavor and why every serious conversation should start with the dictionary. It avoids not only getting the right definition, but also the entire definition. You agree on which definition you wish to conversation to continue with and by that time your mouth is dry enough for a wine or two.

Defining your words: always a salubrious result.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2365
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: English multitopic

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:20 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:Well, that sortive makes sense.
Aarrgghh!! :mrgreen:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2365
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: English multitopic

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:27 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:moot: 1. (law) of no legal significance (as having been previously decided)

2. Open to argument or debate

And that kiddies is why English is a life time endeavor and why every serious conversation should start with the dictionary. It avoids not only getting the right definition, but also the entire definition. You agree on which definition you wish to conversation to continue with and by that time your mouth is dry enough for a wine or two.

Defining your words: always a salubrious result.
From the OED (law):
A mock judicial proceeding set up to examine a hypothetical case as an academic exercise.
‘the object of a moot is to provide practice in developing an argument’

Etymology: Old English mōt ‘assembly or meeting’ and mōtian ‘to converse’, of Germanic origin; related to meet.

Also from the OED:
1 Subject to debate, dispute, or uncertainty.
‘whether the temperature rise was mainly due to the greenhouse effect was a moot point’
‘it is a moot point whether such a controversial scheme would have succeeded’

2 Having little or no practical relevance, typically because the subject is too uncertain to allow a decision.
‘the whole matter is becoming increasingly moot’

That second one is how most people use it, but they use it to dismiss debate on subjects that are NOT 'too uncertain to allow a decision.'
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10655
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: English multitopic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:28 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:Well, that sortive makes sense.
Aarrgghh!! :mrgreen:


A girl actually wrote that in an essay when I was TAing. She didn't do well in that class.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11616
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: English multitopic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:31 pm

sortive..............does have a good anglo-Saxon ring to it...... of the French kind?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10655
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: English multitopic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:31 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:sortive..............does have a good anglo-Saxon ring to it...... of the French kind?


Sort of.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29728
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:00 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:"I'm going to lay down."
Before you walk away, would you finish the sentence? Oh...you're going to lie down. Why didn't you say so?

Down is a type of feather, so it's possible to lay down. But lay is also a sexual reference, and [I assume] it's possible to masturbate with feathers [I also assume softer feathers would be more suitable], so that's what I hear whenever someone says they're going to lay down. Or that someone else is laying down.

I hear about my father having sex with soft feathers quite often, and I am not amused.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10655
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: English multitopic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:17 pm

Gord wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:"I'm going to lay down."
Before you walk away, would you finish the sentence? Oh...you're going to lie down. Why didn't you say so?

Down is a type of feather, so it's possible to lay down. But lay is also a sexual reference, and [I assume] it's possible to masturbate with feathers [I also assume softer feathers would be more suitable], so that's what I hear whenever someone says they're going to lay down. Or that someone else is laying down.

I hear about my father having sex with soft feathers quite often, and I am not amused.


Would you feel better about it if you knew the down was still on the duck?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11616
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: English multitopic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:36 pm

I had not ever recognized "duck" down as a thing. Everything I've ever seen has been goose down. Quick Google: we'll be seeing duck down more often now...its a slightly inferior product but still subject to supply and demand.

.............but "laying down" struck me as a bit manufactured, whether on a goose or a duck.......although in Shogun the captain upon turning down sex with a boy was offered a duck. I thought that was a bit liberal.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29728
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:54 am

"You don't get down off an elephant, you get down off a duck!"
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2365
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: English multitopic

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:43 pm

Gord wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:"I'm going to lay down."
Before you walk away, would you finish the sentence? Oh...you're going to lie down. Why didn't you say so?

Down is a type of feather, so it's possible to lay down.
Like laying tile?
Gord wrote:But lay is also a sexual reference, and [I assume] it's possible to masturbate with feathers [I also assume softer feathers would be more suitable], so that's what I hear whenever someone says they're going to lay down. Or that someone else is laying down.
Perhaps it's a down-low code phrase for bestiality with aquatic birds?
Gord wrote:I hear about my father having sex with soft feathers quite often, and I am not amused.
:lol:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2365
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: English multitopic

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:45 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:"I'm going to lay down."
Before you walk away, would you finish the sentence? Oh...you're going to lie down. Why didn't you say so?

Down is a type of feather, so it's possible to lay down. But lay is also a sexual reference, and [I assume] it's possible to masturbate with feathers [I also assume softer feathers would be more suitable], so that's what I hear whenever someone says they're going to lay down. Or that someone else is laying down.

I hear about my father having sex with soft feathers quite often, and I am not amused.


Would you feel better about it if you knew the down was still on the duck?
:shockd: :no:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11616
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: English multitopic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:34 pm

Gord wrote:"You don't get down off an elephant, you get down off a duck!"

You get down off an elephant, but you get down from a duck.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7886
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:05 pm

No duck ever caused me to be down.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11616
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: English multitopic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:23 pm

Remember that old Beatles song with Paul singing "..♫..I'm down, I'm really down....something something." I'm sure I heard some ducks quacking in the background.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8373
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: English multitopic

Postby Poodle » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:57 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Remember that old Beatles song with Paul singing "..♫..I'm down, I'm really down....something something." I'm sure I heard some ducks quacking in the background.

Strangely, it was called 'I'm down'. B-side of 'Help!'

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10655
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: English multitopic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:50 pm

. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2365
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: English multitopic

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:59 pm

:lol:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7886
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby TJrandom » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:48 pm

At least English generally has a subject. Many of our conversations only have implied subjects, with everyone thinking of a different one, not that it matters of course, which is good if you like background noise and are not later called upon for a follow-up.

What? You weren`t listening? ... Oh, but I was. It was just undecipherable.

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12493
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Taco Bell riting - Its a Taco in a burrito!
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5043
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby Monster » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:27 pm


I used to wish that English would be written like this.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29728
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Monster wrote:

I used to wish that English would be written like this.

I used to write, when I was a kid, using commas, like this. They made me stop.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2365
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: English multitopic

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:09 pm

Gord wrote:I used to write, when I was a kid, using commas, like this. They made me stop.
The rules for using commas seem to be trending toward fewer commas. Personally, I find paragraphs of text more difficult to comprehend when commas don't separate clauses. Or when the Oxford comma is omitted.
Image
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12493
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:17 pm

I'v been toying with the idea uv a formal distinction between 'and' and '&'.

And I think the ajetiv comma shoud be eliminated. They get rediculous in tek articlez.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5043
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: English multitopic

Postby Monster » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:44 pm

Gord wrote:
Monster wrote:

I used to wish that English would be written like this.

I used to write, when I was a kid, using commas, like this. They made me stop.

I still write like that.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2365
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: English multitopic

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:51 pm

JO 753 wrote:I'v been toying with the idea uv a formal distinction between 'and' and '&'.
That would be a valid way to eliminate comma-delimited lists, I guess, if the ampersand were perceived as "this is a continuing list."
"Are you ready to order?"
"Yes, I'll have over easy eggs & bacon & home fries & an English muffin."
It's not any harder to type.

JO 753 wrote:And I think the ajetiv comma shoud be eliminated. They get rediculous in tek articlez.
Adjective comma...do you mean separating a list of adjectives that all apply to the same noun? Like...
"He's a tall, dark, handsome man."
IDK, I think eliminating it would create confusion.

I like some of these, except the inventors should have made them from existing keys on the keyboard. We definitely need a sarcmark!
Spoiler:
Image

Maybe we could use the rarely used tilde to indicate sarcasm.
"~That worked like a charm.~"
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29728
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: English multitopic

Postby Gord » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:51 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote: Or when the Oxford comma is omitted.

YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES, YES!

"I dedicate this book to my parents, Ayn Rand, and God."
"I dedicate this book to my parents, Ayn Rand and God."
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8373
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: English multitopic

Postby Poodle » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Dear Detractors,
I have faithfully served the Roman alphabet users for centuries, especially those of the English-speaking persuasion. I have never complained about my workload or poor salary, instead choosing to serve at the altar of straightforward and (when left to my own devices) clear comprehension. And what do I find? A host of ingrates and ne'er-do-wells! I am seriously considering my future. There was a time when I graced the pages of Shakespeare, Bacon, Ham and Eggs ... all manner of clients. I am seriously perturbed and, yes, hurt. You will struggle without me!
Yours sincerely,
A. Comma.


Return to “Education”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest