Ocean: Is it for fish, or the disposal of Plastic?

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Ocean: Is it for fish, or the disposal of Plastic?

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:58 am

We should all know by now that: "By 2050, there will be more plastic than fish in the world’s oceans, study says". https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... ed9c5039bc

How much micro plastic can go into the ocean and up the food chain before these "hormone like substances" will have who knows what effect on our kiddies? On "Redacted Tonight w Lee Camp" on Russian Tv, Lee Camp said that if it weren't for Global Warming of the Ocean reporting, the news would be about the Plastic Problem.

Yes...............ITS GOING TO KILL US ALL..........why not? We need to make "going green" a kind of religion. Its "wrong"...but so much better to follow than the single use plastic products that make our lives so...........easy? Its all about choices we make for today......with no notice of the cumulative effect 50 years from now.

Remember the Graduate: "The future is Plastics." So correct. Just missed what that future will be. Kinda cracks me up.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Re: Ocean: Is it for fish, or the disposal of Plastic?

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:30 pm

Disagree on one point. Vehemently. No religion , thank you, green or otherwise.

Environmentalism should be based on hard science. As soon as you get on that religious band wagon, you go right off the rails, and great harm can be done.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:55 am

Religion: believing in something whether it is true or false, proveable or not. It would be good for those who think you can't prove what will happen 50 years from now to believe nonetheless that we should "take care of" Mother Earth. I'm using religion as belief system. Belief systems/religion are ok if they don't teach what science has proved is incorrect. Rather inconsequential on issue of no proof either way.

Vehemently.........a funny word if you break it up a bit: Veee .... heeee .... ment...ly. Rarely a good thing.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:10 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Religion: believing in something whether it is true or false, proveable or not.
That's a terrible definition of religion. Where did you get it from, a young Earth creationist?

Most definitions of religion that I've seen include terms like "worship" and/or "supernatural".
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:15 pm

Gord: I "edited" what is a common feature of most religions to show what kind of religion I was thinking about as one element of what needs to change in our culture (sic) society (even better) civilization (even harder) to deal with AGW. Its one option in the "all of the above" analysis.