PryoCb: Is going to KILL US ALL!

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

PryoCb: Is going to KILL US ALL!

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat May 12, 2018 6:04 am

Interesting new to me feed back loop making things worse in the continuing wave of record breaking events. This one is forest fires having the same effect as volcanoes, a short read.

I post it mostly for the name. pyrocumulonimbus or pyroCb is the effect of forest fires on the atmosphere. I laughed because we pilots were cautioned not to fly in clouds because there could be a lurking CumuloGranite. We did all we could to avoid those things. Note the intrepid pilots avoiding the largest Cumulogranite in the world. Good thing: most of it is underground.

http://science.dodlive.mil/2018/04/20/n ... cientists/
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: PryoCb: Is going to KILL US ALL!

Post by Gord » Sat May 12, 2018 8:29 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:CumuloGranite
Mountain, right?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat May 12, 2018 8:32 am

Yep.....and not the soft kind.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sat May 12, 2018 8:34 am

One should never take soft mountains for granite.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat May 12, 2018 8:35 am

Excellent. That line was never mentioned in pilot school. I'll send them a memo.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat May 12, 2018 11:01 pm

Another Bobbo nonsense that will kill us all.

Same old, same old ......

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun May 13, 2018 3:52 am

Now Lance!.............Please explain why you go out of your way to be disagreeable. I assume you think its Tit for Tat, but that is not true. Of course, you will not answer this in your typical fashion, but "if it was me" I'd answer each of the following questions:

1. bobbo is all lower case. Why no respect?
2. what is nonsense about the link?
3. We've had this point made about 10 times now: have you no sense of humor?
4. Yes, same old regarding your lack of humor, but the link is entirely new.

The eyes may be the window to the soul, but on a forum, its what you post.

Mind the gap.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sun May 13, 2018 3:59 am

It is about what you post, Bobbo. How many times have you claimed something is gonna kill us all. A statement ripe for derision.

Incidentally, the capital on Bobbo is because my auto spell corrector does that without me asking.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun May 13, 2018 4:14 am

Lance: well, one out of four ain't bad, especially when you can blame your spell corrector. Its not the only thing that is automatically wrong. How can "Its gonna Kill us All" be ripe for anything when we've discussed it and your lack of humor/insight is near the top of your pile of dead horses?

Actually, I do get it. You got no ideas on the Link, so you make a personal attack. Lazy with no ideas.

I dig it.

btw: everything I have labeled humorously CAN KILL US ALL....pursuant to identified hypotheticals. PryoCb is just a part of AGW which is a threat to all mankind, the entire biosphere, AS WE CONTINUE TO EXACERBATE THE PROBLEM, rather than take measures to get back in balance. The only open issue is which of the dozens of variables will be the one that kicks off the cascading events of environmental disaster.

So.......whats the humor?
► Show Spoiler

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sun May 13, 2018 4:40 am

No humour.

Just a kind of personal quirk on your part. I doubt you have accepted this yet, but your pessimism is not based on rational thinking, but on an emotional bias. I can and have presented optimistic arguments with clear cut data to back them up and you keep falling back on unsupported pessimism.

And incidentally, in response to your spoiler, Homo sapiens is already great. Being great does not mean never making mistakes. It means accepting those mistakes and taking remedial action, which is being done. Maybe not fast enough, but there are a lot of conflicting forces.

Look at the big issues of the past.
Rachel Carson in her book "Silent Spring " pointed out all the dangers of non biodegradable pesticides. Today they are biodegradable.
Overpopulation is rapidly diminishing as a problem, with human fertility now at 2.4 compared to 5.5 only 50 years ago.
Ozone depletion now not happening.
Nuclear war risk is way down on what it was.
Even hunger and malnutrition is a lot lower than it used to be.

Humanity can and does learn. Solving or managing serious problems is something we do very well.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun May 13, 2018 5:13 am

What a grammar Nazi you are, but also correct. So...................."er".

Thanks for filling in my evening:

1. No humour. //// Of course it is. Very much that "opinion" BS you want to pull, except in this case, its true.

2. Just a kind of personal quirk on your part. I doubt you have accepted this yet, but your pessimism is not based on rational thinking, but on an emotional bias. I can and have presented optimistic arguments with clear cut data to back them up and you keep falling back on unsupported pessimism. /// No. Its a common sense PRAGMATIC general rule I support that when facing an issue the best approach is to assess the pros and cons of the situation and take some action: then, rinse, lather and repeat. It goes to risk/harm assessment. Being pessimistic avoids the worst outcomes....that is good. Being Optimistic allows the worst to happen. The most likely correct position is a mix of the two. When I see silly optimism, I counter with silly pessimism..........that is the balance/humor. it requires juggling...something you haven't demonstrated.

3. And incidentally, in response to your spoiler, Homo sapiens is already great. //// + "er".

4. Being great does not mean never making mistakes. It means accepting those mistakes and taking remedial action, which is being done. Maybe not fast enough, but there are a lot of conflicting forces. //// Saying "maybe" is the continuing error because you don't realize: WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE.

Look at the big issues of the past.
5. Rachel Carson in her book "Silent Spring " pointed out all the dangers of non biodegradable pesticides. Today they are biodegradable./// She warned: WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE, and effective countermeasures were taken and that calamity was avoided. We need to do the same now.........but too many optimists/deniers say "maybe."
6. Overpopulation is rapidly diminishing as a problem, with human fertility now at 2.4 compared to 5.5 only 50 years ago. /// "diminishing" is a hoot as we burn through all our irreplaceable resources in a Ponzi scheme to support the numbers.
7. Ozone depletion now not happening. //// See No 5 above.
8. Nuclear war risk is way down on what it was. /// Debateable. NK, Iran....You are crystalballing it again.
9. Even hunger and malnutrition is a lot lower than it used to be. /// So is access to clean water.

Humanity can and does learn. Solving or managing serious problems is something we do very well. /// Which could well be why we think we can survive: "anything." But the extinction of 99% of all species that have ever existed kinda indicates that is a silly position.

Still no reply to the other 3 questions. Lack of respect....... for yourself.

Just look. You ask, and I respond. I ask, and you switch subjects.

Guess what that results in?
► Show Spoiler

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sun May 13, 2018 9:15 am

Bobbo

Get real. Most of what you are saying is simply wrong.

Being pessimistic is not smart. Smart is recognising reality, not some distorted version of reality.

If you say we are all gonna die, that is true. Every human alive today will die within 120 years. But if you suggest humanity will all die, you are off the planet. Our species is the most successful mammal in our size range. We are great survivors.

We are not burning through all our resources. We are finding more all the time, and learning to use new ones. I got into a big argument on another forum around the year 2010 about oil. My opponents unanimously called me crazy for believing it was not about to run out. They were wrong and I was right. There is more oil available now than any time in history. The difference happened over just three years. Due to technological innovation.

Nuclear war is less likely today. I did not say impossible, just less likely. North Korea is a bluff. They have so few nukes, they cannot use them because that few would do too little harm to their enemy. Iran appears to have none at this point in time, although the idiot Trump may induce them to work on making some.

On the extinction of 99% of all species that have ever lived, that has already happened, and had happened before our species ever evolved. If you mean 99% of all species now living, you are wrong. There is no evidence that this will happen.

On fresh water.
Humanity has ALWAYS had a shortage. Today is no different. But we now have better methods of generating pure water and distributing it. This can only improve.

On global warming, the current biggest challenge.
This is a long term problem. And the management of global warming is also happening long term, but it is happening. Just because the idiot Trump is not cooperating does not mean that more rational leaders are failing. A lot more needs to be done, and will be done. Global warming will not be stopped, nor will sea level rise. But we will reduce the extent of both and we will learn to live with what is inevitable. It will not cause all of us to die.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun May 13, 2018 9:27 am

So you say.