Sinking land will exacerbate flooding from sea level rise in Bay Area

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:59 am

Subsidence combined with sea level rise around San Francisco Bay doubles flood-risk area

Date: March 7, 2018

Source: University of California - Berkeley

Summary: Hazard maps use estimated sea level rise due to climate change to determine flooding risk for today's shoreline, but don't take into account that some land is sinking. A precise study of subsidence around San Francisco Bay shows that for conservative estimates of sea level rise, twice the area is in danger of flooding by 2100 than previously thought. Some landfill is sinking 10 mm per year, threatening the airport and parts of Silicon Valley.
Credit: ASU/Manoochehr Shirzaei
Hazard maps use estimated sea level rise due to climate change to determine flooding risk for today's shoreline, but don't take into account that some land is sinking. A precise study of subsidence around San Francisco Bay shows that for conservative estimates of sea level rise, twice the area is in danger of flooding by 2100 than previously thought. Some landfill is sinking 10 mm per year, threatening the airport and parts of Silicon Valley.

Rising sea levels are predicted to submerge many coastal areas around San Francisco Bay by 2100, but a new study warns that sinking land -- primarily the compaction of landfill in places such as Treasure Island and Foster City -- will make flooding even worse.

Using precise measurements of subsidence around the Bay Area between 2007 and 2011 from state-of-the-art satellite-based synthetic aperture radar (InSAR), scientists from the University of California, Berkeley, and Arizona State University mapped out the waterfront areas that will be impacted by various estimates of sea level rise by the end of the century.

They found that, depending on how fast seas rise, the areas at risk of inundation could be twice what had been estimated from sea level rise only.

Previous studies, which did not take subsidence into account, estimated that between 20 and 160 square miles (51 to 413 square kilometers) of San Francisco Bay shoreline face a risk of flooding by the year 2100, depending on how quickly sea levels rise.
Continues...
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Mara
Poster

Re: Sinking land will exacerbate flooding from sea level rise in Bay Area

Post by Mara » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:07 pm

I was going to say something smart but instead I will just say ‘can’t wait’ ‘bring it on’ ‘if I have to work one more week an Armageddon sounds like a better option!’ ;-)

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:13 pm

The Bay Area might make a nice showcase on ow to deal with rising sea levels in coastal urban areas - after all, there is enough local money and a certain spirit of innovation.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Can't wait for georgie to chime in and claim a "California will fall into the ocean" Newage victory. ;)
Lard, save me from your followers.