Ancient Groundwater Discharge Explains Steady Sea Level Rise

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic

Re: Ancient Groundwater Discharge Explains Steady Sea Level Rise

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:04 pm

Lausten wrote: Failing to ask for clarification and instead writing a thesis on the problem with a few words taken out of context, that's a shortcoming. Responding only to the discussion about the words instead of the clarification of the intended meaning, that's a shortcoming.

The problem has been that clarifications were more confusing and incorrect than the initial statements.

Again, blaming other for one's own failing exemplifies the lack of integrity and difficulty that prevents engaging in meaningful debate.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:04 pm

Jim

I will continue to avoid the groundwater issue. In other words, I am keeping an open mind. I am already looking for any reference to it in the science mags I subscribe to.

If it turns out you are right, I will agree. If not, then we will disagree. But the point is that I do not trust your opinions or your references. I need something I know is reputable.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:11 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:I will continue to avoid the groundwater issue. In other words, I am keeping an open mind.

ROTFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:14 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote: But the point is that I do not trust your opinions or your references. I need something I know is reputable.

Yadda yadda yada

To again summarize.

Lance says "Jim is a skeptic No matter how good his science is, Lance will never trust it because Lance thinks skeptics must be wrong. So Lance feels justified to make snarky insults."

That about sums it up, so why Lance's obsession with multiple posts repeating all the same BS???

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:23 pm

Except that Jim is a denier.
The science is clear. Human activity is driving global warming, and Jim denies this.
A skeptic opposes intellectual crap. A denier opposes good science. Jim is a denier.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:26 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Except that Jim is a denier.
The science is clear. Human activity is driving global warming, and Jim denies this.
A skeptic opposes intellectual crap. A denier opposes good science. Jim is a denier.

Alarmists toll factory clones are so boring! Not an original thought in their noodle, and completely devoid of interesting science!

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 pm

There is plenty of interesting science, but what is the point, Jim, when you simply deny it or ignore it ?

The Natural Resources Defense Council has a good web site on the subject.
https://www.nrdc.org/stories/global-war ... BwE#causes

But you will not read it, or you will deny it, or ignore it. This is the consensus of climate scientists. Though you say the 97% figure is a tired old argument, it is still a valid argument. Only deniers oppose their findings.

I am proud to say that my wife and I are among the very few who are personally making a difference, albeit a very small difference. We own 4 acres of land and have planted it out in rain forest trees. According to an article in New Scientist a few years back, one acre of growing trees absorbs the CO2 put out by the average western adult. Since we have 4 acres of growing trees, we are responsible for removing our share plus that of two other adults. We are carbon negative.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:05 am

Alarmists troll factory clones are so boring! Not an original thought in their noodle, and completely devoid of interesting science!

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:06 am

As I pointed out a while back, Jim has run out of pseudoscience, and can only post silliness.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:58 am

Jim Steele wrote:
Lance Kennedy wrote:Except that Jim is a denier.

Alarmists toll factory clones are so boring! Not an original thought in their noodle, and completely devoid of interesting science!

Oh, you'll start up again, you always do. It's the answer you should give when you are in an interview and they ask for your strength, you're persistent. Persistent for what purpose, hope they don't ask that.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:09 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:As I pointed out a while back, blah blah blah....

Lance is so silly repeating ad nauseam "Jim is a skeptic No matter how good his science is, Lance will never trust it because Lance thinks skeptics must be wrong. So Lance feels justified to make snarky insults."

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:52 am

The problem is, Jim, that your science is crap.

Science is based on empirical testing, and conclusions depend on the data obtained from such empirical testing.

For example, here are four bits of data obtained from such testing.

1. Laboratory testing shows that CO2 absorbs infra red and warms up as a result.
2. Analysis shows a substantial rise in CO2 in the atmosphere.
3. Satellite data shows that in line with the increasing CO2, there is a reduction in infra red leaving the atmosphere.
4. The world is warming up.

Conclusion, from empirical data, that the increased CO2 is leading to warming.

A good scientist devotes him or herself to working with empirical data. You do not. You think you are so clever that you can DEDUCE the great truths of climate change. I have news for you. You cannot.

The only thing that can reveal what is correct about climate change is good empirical data. The best climate scientists are busy generating that data.

The usual reasons why people generate crappy hypotheses like yours is emotional reasoning or else developing something out of pure self interest. What is your reason ?

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:44 am

Same old same old

Lance says "Jim is a skeptic No matter how good his science is, Lance will never trust it because Lance thinks skeptics must be wrong. So Lance feels justified to make snarky insults."

So why Lance's obsession with multiple posts repeating all the same BS, over and over and over....???

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:49 am

I am hoping for an intelligent reply. So far, no chance.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:02 am

ROTFLMAO

You try to hijack the thread, refuse to discuss the groundwater topic instead launching stupid insults and and off topic blather and then you demand that I should engage in an intelligent debate with the likes of you???

ROTFLMAO

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:28 am

Give me a REPUTABLE reference on the groundwater theme. Something like "Nature " or "Science " rather than your own web site or dubious references. If you cannot, then I will wait till I see something in my own subscriptions. It would be quite irrational for me to accept your writings or your references based on what I have seen so far.

I am only interested in good science, and that involves good references. So far, you have given me nothing to suggest you are up to good science.

You have also done nothing to argue against the good scientific points (the results of empirical testing ) that I have challenged you with. I am left with the strong impression that you are not into good science.

I am not out to insult you. I think you are probably intelligent. But sadly, intelligent does not mean rational. Shermer has pointed out that many intelligent people have irrational beliefs. I think you are just one more.

You remind me of James Ussher. That guy lived in the 17th century, and was so smart that he rose in the Catholic church to become Archbishop of all Ireland. He worked on the bible and used all the begats and other clues to calculate the age of our Earth. He came up with 6,000 years. It took intelligence, dedication, and hard work to derive his result. There was just one problem, he was totally wrong. See how you are like him?

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:42 am

Lance says I am not out to insult you.

ROTFLMAO That's all you do, then blather on with various goofy psychological profiles. You cherry pick your data and ignore tons that contradict your righteous beliefs.

You try to hijack the thread, refuse to discuss the groundwater topic instead launching stupid insults and and off topic blather and then you demand that I should engage in an intelligent debate with the likes of you???

ROTFLMAO

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:48 pm

I will discuss the groundwater theme when you supply a REPUTABLE reference.

As an example, here is a reputable reference, the Royal Society. They state clearly that global warming cannot be accounted for by natural occurrences, and only human activity permits a full explanation.

https://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/ ... uestion-2/

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:36 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:I will discuss the groundwater theme when you supply a REPUTABLE reference.

My essay is based on peer-reviewed published evidence and full of reputable references with links. What real scientists do is read an article and then evaluate how it meshes with other evidence.

But you have been just blowing more dishonest smoke in order to cling to your crazy conspiracy theories. You make up ridiculous excuses and goofy psychological analyses to avoid reading anything that threatens your blind beliefs based on a mythical 97%.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:40 pm

Post a reputable reference or do not.
I have no interest in reading your crackpot writings. I do not care to pollute my brain with bull-shit. If your topic is sound, it will be available in a reputable reference. If you cannot post something of that nature, it is clear evidence you are posting crackpottery.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:55 pm

Some people are simply not aware of their own BS

Lance Kennedy wrote:Lance says "I am not out to insult you."

That really made me laugh! His lack of self awareness is mind blowing. Then as predictable as rain Lance rants

Lance Kennedy wrote:I have no interest in reading your crackpot writings. I do not care to pollute my brain with bull-shit. If your topic is sound, it will be available in a reputable reference. If you cannot post something of that nature, it is clear evidence you are posting crackpottery.

And Lance thinks he should be taken seriously as a scientist

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:41 am

Actually, I never asked to be taken seriously as a scientist. I am now retired, and make no such claims.

I would be more interested in being taken seriously as a skeptic. That is, someone who believes only that which is supported by credible evidence. Since global warming denial is NOT supported by credible evidence, I do not accept it as correct. Belief systems that operate in defiance of credible empirical evidence are otherwise known as crackpot ideas. Your idea, Jim, that global climate change is largely unaffected by human activity is such a crackpot idea.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:30 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Actually, I never asked to be taken seriously as a scientist. I am now retired, and make no such claims.

I would be more interested in being taken seriously as a skeptic. That is, someone who believes only that which is supported by credible evidence. Since global warming denial is NOT supported by credible evidence, I do not accept it as correct. Belief systems that operate in defiance of credible empirical evidence are otherwise known as crackpot ideas. Your idea, Jim, that global climate change is largely unaffected by human activity is such a crackpot idea.

Lance thinks if he repeats the insult of nebulous "crackpot ideas" then he is making an intelligent argument

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:19 am

So far in this debate, Jim, I am winning hands down. I have posted a number of references from reputable bodies like NASA and the Royal Society, and the United Nations stating clearly that global warming is primarily due to human activity. You have not managed to post a single effective rebuttal.

The simple fact is that global warming deniers are grist for the skeptics mill, since our task is to oppose bull-shit.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:53 am

THIS is a DEBATE??? I didn't know name-calling was allowed in debates. Has anyone tried coming up with debate rules that JIm can follow? That might be interesting to read.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:So far in this debate, Jim, I am winning hands down.

ROTFLMAO

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:32 pm

Lance and Gord I suggest you pay attention to Albert Einstein explaining your behavior

“In order to be a member of a flock of sheep, one must, above all, be a sheep oneself!”

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:36 pm

Irrelevant, Jim, as always.

If you want to discuss groundwater, find a REPUTABLE reference to discuss. When you quote your own writing, and do not admit it, that is an act of dishonesty. You would be more scientific to simply say " it is my opinion that ....." and give us a summary of your own views. That would not be very impressive, but at least it would be honest.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:52 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Irrelevant, Jim, as always.

Not for you sheep

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:56 pm

Definition of crackpot. One given to eccentric or lunatic notions.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/crackpot

Sadly, Jim, when you put up ideas that are diametrically opposed to accepted science, and claim them to be true and also scientific , that fits the above definition.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:09 pm

ROTFLMAO Lance is obsessed that everyone thinks the same. And if not, Lance insults you and claims he is the real skeptic. ROTFLMAO

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:19 pm

Jim

I have asked you numerous times for reputable references to support your ideas. Modern science requires peer review. Without that, we end up with total crap.

Yes, in this case, I am the skeptic and you are the denier. I am certainly not the only skeptic. This forum has many competent skeptics. I suggest you listen to them.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:27 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:I have asked you numerous times for reputable references to support your ideas.

ROTFLMAO You have been told many times the essay has links to peer-reviewed evidence.

You are so afraid to look at anything outside your blind beliefs and think for yourself, you never read the essay that is the topic of this post.You never analyze ALL the data and only cheery pick what justifies your paranoia. You are so afraid to think for yourself, you take refuge in a nebulous "consensus". Sadly this forum is populated my lots of sheeple that you have flocked to.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:54 pm

I have told you, Jim, that I am not interested in reading your essays. I am happy to look at reputable journal articles, but not at stuff that is almost certainly 100% crap. If your work has merit, then something like it will be published in a reputable journal. Easy to reference. I have been looking for anything on ground water discharge and sea levels in my science news references, but so far, nothing. One would think it was not sufficiently important.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:07 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:I have told you, Jim, that I am not interested in reading your essays. I am happy to look at reputable journal articles, but not at stuff that is almost certainly 100% crap.

ROTFLMAO

Lance You are just here sniping via your insanity.

You admit not reading my work, but still call it 100% crap. Who needs reality when Lance has imagination.
ROTFLMAO

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:55 am

The number of times you have laughed your arse off, Jim, you must suffer from very painful constipation.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:16 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:The number of times you have laughed your arse off, Jim, you must suffer from very painful constipation.

Stupid potty humor to cover your dishonest ad Homs

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:58 am

Jim

No one is mad at you for speaking the truth, because you are not.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:30 am

You desperately hold to your blind beliefs Lance

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:58 am

Jim

You have stated that human activity is not the primary cause of global warming. But climate scientists with NASA, the United Nations, the Royal Society, Harvard University, and indeed, every reputable research group on global warming say the exact opposite.

The illusion here belongs to you.

Return to “Climate Change”