Science or silence? Dr. Ridd Speaks Out Against Enforced Consensus!

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic

Science or silence? Dr. Ridd Speaks Out Against Enforced Consensus!

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:09 pm

Science or silence? My battle to question doomsayers about the Great Barrier Reef

Professor Peter Ridd leads the Marine Geophysical Laboratory, James Cook University, Australia and has authored over 100 scientific papers. His essay regards his battle with academic suppression is enlightening

Dr. Peter Ridd has given me permission to re-post his essay in its entirety any place so I am now reporting it. I encourage everyone who understands that , Good Science Must Require Healthy Debate, to post Dr. Ridd's essay in its entirety and expose these disturbing attempts to denigrate the scientific process.

Read it here or http://perhapsallnatural.blogspot.com/2 ... le-to.html
-----------------
Last edited by Pyrrho on Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Removed copyrighted content.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Re: Science or silence? Dr. Ridd Speaks Out Against Enforced Consensus!

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:39 pm

I hope Professor Ridd did not get in trouble for supporting my coral bleaching analyses

as reported in the Townsville Bulletin

https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/n ... ef2ba387a4

Mr Steele accused the Prof Hughes-led research findings as having “incorrectly embraced the prevailing bias of CO2-induced catastrophic bleaching”.

“They failed to address the fall in sea level before and during the 2016 El Nino and, likewise, they failed to address how weather created by El Ninos promotes clear skies and increased solar heating,” Mr Steele said.

Prof Ridd, a geophysicist with interests in coastal oceanography, the effects of sediments on coral reefs, instrument development, geophysical sensing, climate and atmospheric modelling, said Mr Steele’s work should not be discounted and questioned whether the Prof Hughes-led aerial and underwater surveys had over-estimated bleaching.

“I think the sea level (issue) could account for some of the bleaching but I’d be surprised if it accounts for all of it,” Prof Ridd said.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:27 pm

Rid? Yeah, I've heard of that one.

Spoiler:
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:00 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Rid? Yeah, I've heard of that one.

Spoiler:

Guffaw, You are so funny. Why do your replies always miss the mark by a few miles?

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:25 am

Jim Steele: Professor Ridd's essay is copyrighted material. You may not post his essay here in full. You must remove all but one paragraph of his essay from your post, with a link to the essay where it resides.

If this editing is not done in a timely manner, I will edit your post myself.

If you continue to post copyrighted material here in full, your forum access will be revoked.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:52 am

Pyrrho wrote:Jim Steele: Professor Ridd's essay is copyrighted material. You may not post his essay here in full. You must remove all but one paragraph of his essay from your post, with a link to the essay where it resides.

If you continue to post copyrighted material here in full, your forum access will be revoked.

My Bad. I did not realize I committed a violation. I have always given bloggers carte blanche to repost any of my essays and didnt think otherwise.

I have emailed Dr. Ridd and asked for his permission to repost

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:26 am

Pyrrho wrote:Jim Steele: Professor Ridd's essay is copyrighted material. You may not post his essay here in full. You must remove all but one paragraph of his essay from your post, with a link to the essay where it resides.

Part of the reason for my ignorance regards length of copied articles has to do with observations of other copied posts that were more than one paragraph such as viewtopic.php?f=40&t=29095

Could you please provide some guidelines when it is OK to post more than one paragraph and when I must limited the post to just one paragraph?

thanks in advance for your help!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:34 am

Jim Steele wrote: Could you please provide some guidelines when it is OK to post more than one paragraph and when I must limited the post to just one paragraph?

Gee Whiz Bad Jimbo: you don't think ............... you have ALREADY JUST BEEN TOLD???????

...........and I have no idea what rules Pyrrho follows, but I see no reason for him to get involved with whether or not your release/permission from Dr Ridd is valid or not.

Every snowflake has to be so special.

But actually..............I wouldn't have given your issue (of academic political correctness) much thought except for the similar thing going on with Free Speech on College Campuses. I can see it as possibly an issue..... or just total BS to advance the Snowflake Agenda. Know what I mean?

Its FLAKY on its face. Scientists make their name by proving any consensus wrong/superceded. I see no reason AGW shouldn't be the same. Any reasonable person will accept the consensus............and change their position when the consensus changes................... NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH "majority opinions" with considered minority view points. Two different animals completely.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:42 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:blah blah blah.......

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:44 am

Indeed. Got the letter yet?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:02 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:16 am

Jim Steele wrote:

Part of the reason for my ignorance regards length of copied articles has to do with observations of other copied posts that were more than one paragraph such as viewtopic.php?f=40&t=29095

Could you please provide some guidelines when it is OK to post more than one paragraph and when I must limited the post to just one paragraph?

The guidelines are in the forum rules. There is a link to those rules at the top of this forum. Try reading them.

That other people ignore the rules is irrelevant to your failure in this case.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Pyrrho wrote:The guidelines are in the forum rules. There is a link to those rules at the top of this forum. Try reading them.

That other people ignore the rules is irrelevant to your failure in this case.

Because I have a friendly relationship with Dr. Ridd I dd not see any failure on my part. But to reassure you I broke no rules I contacted Dr. Ridd here is the copy of his email

To: Jim Steele <jsteele3@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: permission to post
Date: Feb 8, 2018 8:28 PM

Hi Jim,

feel free to post or send it anywhere you like.

Peter

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:34 pm

I wasn't aware of that rule, but I'm quite willing to abide by it.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:12 pm

Pyrrho I tried to find the copyright one-paragraph rule, but after pursuing the links accessed at the top of the forum it was not clear where such a rule is stated. Could you please provide the link so I can learn more about proper forum behaviour?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:30 pm

:roll:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2 wrote:
Level 2

• Copyright infringement. Users may post very brief excerpts of content from other websites, with a link to the online source. This should be no more than a short paragraph, accompanied by commentary.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:55 pm

scrmbldggs wrote::roll:

Level 2

• Copyright infringement. Users may post very brief excerpts of content from other websites, with a link to the online source. This should be no more than a short paragraph, accompanied by commentary.

Thanks scrambled.

I notice your link is to a 2005 post by Pyrrho. Apparently the links to his post titled Forum Rules and Acceptable Use Policy are not intuitively available.

If one clicks on FAQ or Quick links at the top of this forum one does not see anything resembling Forum Rules and Acceptable Use Policy

Perhaps such rules should be made more obvious as other posters were likewise unaware of this rule. :roll: :roll: :roll:

But now I see the link "Forum Rules"

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:08 pm

Given Dr Ridd's permission to freely repost his essay, I have re-edited the initial post above to re-instate his essay in its entirety.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:41 pm

Jim Steele wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote::roll:

Level 2

Thanks scrambled.

I notice your link is to a 2005 post by Pyrrho. Apparently the links to his post titled Forum Rules and Acceptable Use Policy are not intuitively available.

If one clicks on FAQ or Quick links at the top of this forum one does not see anything resembling Forum Rules and Acceptable Use Policy

Perhaps such rules should be made more obvious as other posters were likewise unaware of this rule. :roll: :roll: :roll:

But now I see the link "Forum Rules"

Besides Pyrrho having added the Forum Rules banner/link to this subforum in January 2017, they are mentioned by the welcome committee and also easily visible on the Board Index (scroll down) under Forum Information.

You sure you don't need (new?) glasses? Seems not only that extra large font speaks for such. :nose:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:07 am

Jim Steele wrote:Given Dr Ridd's permission to freely repost his essay, I have re-edited the initial post above to re-instate his essay in its entirety.

Ha, ha..............."what a...................................... guy."

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:21 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Besides Pyrrho having added the Forum Rules banner/link to this subforum in January 2017, they are mentioned by the welcome committee and also easily visible on the Board Index (scroll down) under Forum Information.

You sure you don't need (new?) glasses? Seems not only that extra large font speaks for such. :nose:

Thanks so much for your kind concern and the rules history.

Perhaps you can poll all the other who post several paragraphs and ask them why they did not see those rules either, and that would help design a banner that will catch everyone's eyes.

Ask any business owner, as a general rule people focus on the one thing they seek and become blind to all other signs. You seem to be an amazing exception scrambled.

If only you could provide such detail to your "scientific" posts

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:27 am

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:46 am

scrmbldggs wrote:What he said. ;)

yw

Not sure why you scrambled are are so obsessed with such a minor detail.

Much more importantly...

the thread is about how a university is trying to silence a productive research scientist simply because he disagreed with another colleague.

Does that not concern you?

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:52 am

Removed copyrighted article and locked the topic.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:17 am

Probably not right to lock the topic--certainly valuable to have a discussion related to the article.

Topic unlocked.

Good night.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:22 am

wUT???????? It was "close enough." Does this mean Jimbo will be banned for life?

I think Bad Jimbo is a fraudulent JERK: but should not be banned............for longer than whatever.

He "ought to be banned" for flip flopping and not answering questions that demonstrate the invalidity of the positions he takes.

....................... You do make work for yourself. I hope the effort is rewarding in its own epistemological existential way????

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:39 am

I don't see an announced ban. Nor have I encountered "flip flopping and not answering questions" as a listed offense in the forum rules. :-P

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:53 am

scrmbldggs wrote:...Nor have I encountered "flip flopping and not answering questions" as a listed offense in the forum rules. :-P

There wouldn't BE a forum, so the rule would be unnecessary if it did exist.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:09 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:w Does this mean Jimbo will be banned for life?

I think Bad Jimbo is a fraudulent JERK ?

There is a forum rule that should ban Bobbo for his non-stop libelous personal attacks. Attacks that Pyrrho gives a pass despite my complaints that such libelous accusations of "fraudulent" are totally unsupported. He dismissed my complaints about the ad hominems as just my attempt to suppress criticism!

Pyrrho dismissed my complaints for forum decency stating I was just trying to silence the opposition. Clearly Pyhrro doesn't like skeptics.

Pyrrho removed RIdd's essay despite Ridd's explicit permission, that I forwarded to Pyrrho and asked if there was any other reason not to re-post Ridd's entire essay. Silenc! So as if he was waiting for an excuse, when I re-post the essay, clearly without any copyright infringement, Pyrrho locks down the posts (after complaints he unlocked it). Perhaps the twitter post exposing the bogus claims that this is a "Skeptic Forum" made him change his mind.

There seems to be some major hypocrisy issues here!

I suspect Pyrrho's actions were simply vindictive, in part due to our past "debate" regards the fake 97% consensus, where he was challenged for supporting Oreskes methodologies that everyone now has recognized as misleading, where she suggested lack of refutation for the CO2 meme must mean support.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=28918&p=622105&hilit=blind+beliefs#p622105

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:28 am

Jim Steele wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:w Does this mean Jimbo will be banned for life?

I think Bad Jimbo is a fraudulent JERK ?

There is a forum rule that should ban Bobbo for his non-stop libelous personal attacks. Attacks that Pyrrho gives a pass despite my complaints that such libelous accusations of "fraudulent" are totally unsupported. He dismissed my complaints about the ad hominems as just my attempt to suppress criticism!

Pyrrho dismissed my complaints for forum decency stating I was just trying to silence the opposition. Clearly Pyhrro doesn't like skeptics.

Pyrrho removed RIdd's essay despite Ridd's explicit permission, that I forwarded to Pyrrho and asked if there was any other reason not to re-post Ridd's entire essay. Silenc!

Dude, he's not at your beck and call. Pyrrho has a life, maybe you should get one, too. It's just a forum, calm down.

So as if he was waiting for an excuse, when I re-post the essay, clearly without any copyright infringement, Pyrrho locks down the posts (after complaints he unlocked it). Perhaps the twitter post exposing the bogus claims that this is a "Skeptic Forum" made him change his mind.

There seems to be some major hypocrisy issues here!

I suspect Pyrrho's actions were simply vindictive, in part due to our past "debate" regards the fake 97% consensus, where he was challenged for supporting Oreskes methodologies that everyone now has recognized as misleading, where she suggested lack of refutation for the CO2 meme must mean support.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=28918&p=622105&hilit=blind+beliefs#p622105

:hmm: Looks like you want to get "punished". Okies, I ask for Jim Steele's formatting abilities to be curtailed. :-P

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster

Postby Jim Steele » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:29 am

scrmbldggs wrote::hmm: Looks like you want to get "punished". Okies, I ask for Jim Steele's formatting abilities to be curtailed. :-P

Just want a level playing field.

If using large fonts is against the forum formatting rules then get rid of that option.

And that issue is much different than non-stop libel.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:53 am

Jim Steele wrote:There seems to be some major hypocrisy issues here!
.....try posting you big font, spams on another forum, then. :lol: Bye bye Jim.

International Skeptics Forum

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/fo ... y.php?f=12

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:18 am

That was mean. :cup:

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:50 pm

Well, we do not have a "Don't be a Jerk" rule zero. If we did, I'd have to ban myself immediately for being enough of a jerk to enact a "Don't be a Jerk" Rule Zero.

I have had to admonish folks in this subforum quite a few times regarding the personal attacks. That sort of thing is the usual nonsense crap that people post on the Internet all over the digital world. Fortunately it rarely descends to the level of actionable libel, and thus does not often present a risk of legal entanglements. Still, I have said more than once that my patience is limited in that regard. I often relent because, well, I don't want to be a jerk about it. I expect that you folks will back off on it at least for a while after I "weigh in" and almost every time, you do just that, so there is usually no need for me to wax wroth and ban someone's sorry ass.

Copyright matters, however, present a much higher risk of takedown demands and subsequent legal action. I take that far more seriously than the cheap, low-quality insult trading that goes on, so yes, I am very likely to be strict regarding copyright when I see that rule being ignored.

And no, presenting me with alleged emails purporting to grant you license to post copyrighted content in toto here does not grant you my permission, nor does that magically vacate the forum rule regarding posting copyrighted content. Next thing you know, we'd have a forum full of Vogon poetry. I joke, but I am serious: I will not allow such a weak maneuver to allow you to make this forum a clearinghouse for whatever someone sells to Fox News, etc.

Now I strongly suggest that you focus on the subject at hand, which is far more important, instead of wasting your time and mine by continuing to yelp about me enforcing a forum rule to your dissatisfaction.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:02 pm

bobbo's posting privileges for this subforum have been revoked. Assuming I did it correctly, he now has "read only" access.

Return to “Climate Change”