Burn Coal to Stop Global Warming?

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Burn Coal to Stop Global Warming?

Postby Phoenix76 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:36 am

Hmmm. This article might get some comment. His theory, while seemingly correct, would apparently cost a lot of dollars to achieve. I haven't done the sums so I don't know how it would stand up.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/tippling/2 ... ontent=369

Which leads to a point that is worth discussing. Just exactly how much does it cost to produce electricity by the various means available, fossil fuels, solar, wind, hydro, nuclear. I would love to see some comparisons. The article fairly raises the point that all costs are not included in the published cost of producing electricity from coal.

Accepting that we have global warming, and accepting that the main cause is human produced greenhouse gases, how are we really going to stop it. It is almost a too hard basket. How do you change Trumps attitude? How do you stop China, who has now surpassed the USofA in CO2 production? Ad infinitum!

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Burn Coal to Stop Global Warming?

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:06 am

Solar farms are cheaper than coal.
China knows this, which it is expanding its solar farms faster than any other nation in the world, and will continue to do so. It has frozen many coal and nuclear power projects instead.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Re: Burn Coal to Stop Global Warming?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:34 pm

Phoenix: didn't you participate in several threads driven by Lance that linked to and discussed the "all in" costs for various power sourches.......with nukes being the cheapest....but maybe it was coal.

I found your linked article pretty much correct in all respects. Knowing a problem doesn't solve it.

We had a real shot in the 1970 when Arabs restricted oil to try and corner the market causing gas lines around the world and Jimmy Carter wore sweaters to keep warm and put solar panels on the Whitehouse. Since then, the liars, fraudsters, grifters, shills, and deniers cornered the market on Big Fossil.

so....what to do. Argue for the truth........"eventually" the truth will out. Like all delayed truths, whole lot more damage that could have been avoided. The key in the article to advocate for clean coal technology AND a recognition of its all in costs is a good one. Then, as I keep saying: a moon shot for renewables. We can lead the world rather than wait for everyone to agree. won't happen. just saying.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “Climate Change”