We're all gonna Die - This Time: The Dirt!!!

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: We're all gonna Die - This Time: The Dirt!!!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:58 am

California’s last nuclear plant to close after unanimous vote by regulators

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/arti ... 491203.php

Short read. Turns out California banned building new Nukes until the Feds guaranteed a way to dispose of the waste. They should take Lance's advice and bury it in Australia. Every good Kiwi knows this.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:09 am

Nuclear waste is the most over-rated "problem" on planet Earth. The thing is that very little such waste is generated. Ironically, more nuclear waste is produced by a coal burning power station of equivalent size than produced by a nuclear power station. People do not worry about the waste produced by burning coal because it is widely distributed, rather than concentrated where it can be easily disposed of, as with nuclear power. The nuclear waste from coal will do far more harm, since it is scattered over the landscape.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinat ... tty-normal

The reference above is about living near Fukushima today. The radiation levels are a tiny fraction that of Ramsha in Iran, where the highest "natural" radiation levels exist and which appear to do no harm. In Ramsha, it is 25 microsieverts per hour. Compare that to the figure shown in the reference!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:42 am

Lance: do you have it in mind that I agree with you?

Lots of misinformation, bad information, old information==>but things humans do are not scientific issues. They are values issues informed and misinformed by what kind of science is accepted or rejected.

What difference does it make if the solution is to bury the waste in a hole but NO ONE WANTS THAT HOLE? Seems to me: there then is no solution (that is acceptable to people). Lot's of solutions to world problems simply are not acceptable: shoot the retarded for instance. That would scientifically solve the problem....BUT NO ONE WANTS THAT HOLE.

"My" god..... is not science.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:00 am

Saying no one wants the hole is another way of repeating my first ever point on nuclear energy.

I said that the biggest problem with nuclear energy was political. Basically, the {!#%@} thrown at this means of generating electricity by organisations like Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth (meaning horrible lies), has led to a massive political barrier to be overcome if we want to realise its benefits.

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic

Postby Jim Steele » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:23 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: shoot the retarded for instance.

How crude! Is that a death wish?
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:13 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Saying no one wants the hole is another way of repeating my first ever point on nuclear energy.

I said that the biggest problem with nuclear energy was political. Basically, the {!#%@} thrown at this means of generating electricity by organisations like Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth (meaning horrible lies), has led to a massive political barrier to be overcome if we want to realise its benefits.

hard to think some special trendy green special interest groups such as you name could outweigh the money graft of Big Nuke interests............as in: the Feds can't guarantee anyway to to store the waste?

Green Peace may have some sway in California....but not near as much in Nevada or Utah where the holes were proposed.....some city out there called Nuke City because they volunteered their town for nuke storage (on the surface I think) in order to get jobs, etc. As always.......they got the waste, and didn't get the jobs. Not very hole worthy.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:15 am

Jimbo: good one. I do enjoy a good slam.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:53 am

Bobbo

The big environmental organisations are all about money and power, just like the corporations. The leaders get the money and power. In order to achieve this, they tell lies.

For example, when the Shell Oil rig called Brent Spar was to be sunk at sea, Greenpeace lied by saying it was full of toxic chemicals. It was not. Greenpeace and FOE are both still lying about how dangerous genetically modified foods are. In the same way, they lie about the supposed terrible dangers of nuclear power.

To understand these corrupt organisations, you need to realise that their leadership are on massive salaries, and this money comes from donations. To get donations, they have to scare people, and it is easy to tell scary lies.

In effect, they are no different to corrupt corporations.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:24 am

Granted........but my position is that they don't have the same power/money/influence that Big Nuke does.....so how come the Gubment just hasn't mandated some empty spot in the middle of the desert (and in Nevada the Feds must own lots of land...........how about the middle of Area 51 for instance?......no one but military around for 100's of miles) and bury the stuff?

.......................... my spidey sense tells me something else is going on. "Like" there is too much stuff to bury....or something. I do recall your figures of how much there is. I split the baby and spidy sense again says its less than what I initially thought, but more than what you posted. The Huge variability might be how much of the stuff can be stored above ground until its half life makes it safe with no need for permanent storage.

.......it does look like the way Green is coming on so strong, this will soon be a moot issue........and that will be a good thing. Nuke power is "inherently" unsafe. And, we don't need another go around on number of deaths as if that were the only measure.
Last edited by bobbo_the_Pragmatist on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:22 am

Bobbo

Numbers are the key. It is called data. Your 'intuition' about safety is carefully nurtured by those who have political and economic agendas. Just stick to the hard data. It is far more reliable.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:33 am

I don`t recall Green Peace or any other liberal money grabbers and lie publishers getting themselves elected to congress. It seems to me that the politicians are following their money - donations from corporations and individuals alike, and not one has a constituency that will take the waste in spite of their best efforts to tell it honest – that there is no risk. Or is there?

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Postby ElectricMonk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:06 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Bobbo

The big environmental organisations are all about money and power, just like the corporations. The leaders get the money and power.

That is a stupid thing to say: compare the paychecks and political access and think again.

One group is about economic gain the other about ideology. Both sides can mess up in their pursuits, but one is obviously more self-serving than the other.
"I not only think that we will tamper with Mother Nature, I think Mother wants us to."
- Willard Gaylin

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:08 pm

EM

They stopped publishing the salaries. I checked about 20 years ago for the central committee for Greenpeace. Salaries back then ranged from $US 200,000 to $US 400,000 per year. Finagle only knows what they are today!

Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic

Postby Jim Steele » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:31 am

TJrandom wrote:I don`t recall Green Peace or any other liberal money grabbers and lie publishers getting themselves elected to congress.

How quickly we forget the great climate scientists Al Gore!
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:05 am

The Algore was totally silent on GW when he ran for Pres. He treated GW as if it were Bill Clinton. Most think he gave away an advantage on both parts.

Jimbo: do you think The Algore invented the internet as well?

Last I heard......congress was one vote away from reestablishing Net Neutrality. Its a 50/50 tie right now....they need one more Puke vote to overcome Pence's tie breaker. Hmmmm....they could go for a midnight vote or only have women senators in the pit when the vote comes up? You know women..... its like garlic or wolfsbane to a Good Christian.

Return to “Climate Change”