An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:52 pm

Read entire article with links to all papers at http://landscapesandcycles.net/more-rob ... ching.html

excerpts:

Recently Dr. Terry Hughes published the paper Global Warming and Recurrent Mass Bleaching of Corals (henceforth Hughes 2017) and concluded “immediate global action to curb future warming is essential to secure a future for coral reefs.” However, his conclusions are simply not borne out by his evidence. Uncritically blaming global warming, is bad science. Organisms are only affected by local conditions, not a chimeric global average. Believing global warming accounts for everything, Hughes failed to see the critical natural factors that locally drove the Great Barrier Reef 2016 bleaching event.


Although researchers agree coral undergo thermal stress when temperatures exceed 1 to 2°C of their local summer maximum, there has been no trend in maximum summer temperature in the northern Great Barrier Reef. In Climate Change and the Great Barrier Reef: A Vulnerability Assessment (2007), Smithers reported on the comparison of mean maximum sea surface temperatures for both the northern and southern Great Barrier Reef (GBR). Since 1903 the average temperature of the southern GBR warmed by 0.7°C and the northern GBR by 0.4°C. But more importantly Smithers reported the mean maximum sea surface temperature between the decades of 1910 to 1919 and 1990 to 1999 showed “a 0.6°C SST rise on the southern GBR but no change in the northern GBR”. So, without a long-term trend of increasing maximum temperatures, climate change, whether natural or anthropogenic, did not contribute to the region’s thermal stress or promote bleaching.



Researchers also calculated that during the global warming hiatus years between 1998 and 2013, coastal regions of the Great Barrier Reef experienced a short-term cooling trend illustrated below in Figure 1. That coastal cooling trend further contradicts Hughes’ assertion that “rising sea surface temperatures owing to global warming have triggered unprecedented mass bleaching of corals, including three pan-tropical events in 1998, 2010 and 2015/16”. The severe 2016 bleaching was not due to a rising temperature trend.


Image
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19775
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:56 pm

SSDD
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:40 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:SSDD


Hmmm,must mean Sama's Same Dumb Drivel
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:31 am

You know James.... you have posted several times regarding its no big issue regarding coral bleaching. The dire reports of coral bleaching continue apace with more and more videos available showing the damage.

To me, the takeaway is that our OCEAN is under many different threats. Dead patches expanding, pollution only increasing. ..................................... It can't be good.

So JS: you've made the choice to be a Science Denier when it comes to co2. You have no credibility at all when it comes to coral bleaching. its by our positions, that we are known.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19775
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:50 am

AGW conspiracy theorist, just a stupid, crazy and sad as any other CTer.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:39 am

Amazing how alarmists deny the peer-reviewed science. In over 2 years Gawdzilla has failed to specifically refute anything Ive ever presented. Instead preferring one-line insulting foolish SSDD, which I confess is far better than Boobo's long drawn out verbal diarrhea without ever posting a link or logical argument.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:05 am

"He's dead Jim."
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:02 pm

another excerpt regarding historical bleaching

Historical Bleaching and Reef Temperatures

Hoegh-Guldberg (1999; see his Table 6) estimated that today’s thermal stress thresholds for the Great Barrier Reef’s southern sector is 28.3°C, the central sector is 29.2°C and the northern sector was 30.0°C. These are thresholds that regional hot events have normally exceeded now and in the past. During the 1928-29 Great Barrier Reef Expedition, scientists measured sea surface temperatures in the central sector that were far warmer than what Hoegh-Guldberg believed promotes bleaching. The expedition’s chief scientist Yonge reported, “temperature of the water of the anchorage varied from a minimum of 20 °C in middle of July to a maximum of 33 °C on the afternoon of February 12th. On the reef flat during low tide about the same time the temperature in the pools reached the remarkably high figure of 36 °C – literally hot to the touch.

It is especially interesting that scientists in the 1929 scientific expedition attributed bleached dead coral to the effects of low tide. Yonge wrote, “The corals are favoured by the fact that in the summer good low tides occur only at nights, but even during the poor day low tides in February the reef flat on Low Isles was covered with the whitened skeletons of dead corals. Though they had been exposed for only a very short time, yet the extremely high temperature, rising frequently above 35 °C, quickly killed them.” So we must question why Hughes persists in dismissing the effect of low sea level and lower tides that amplify temperatures and cause widespread mortality, in contrast to these earlier observations.

Image

Dead Holbourne Island Reef photographed in 1936

In the past researchers like Hoegh-Guldberg and Hughes have argued that widespread bleaching events were rare before he 1980s based on the lack of bleaching reports in the scientific literature. But the scientific literature suffers from several observational biases. For example, although there has been increased attention to coral reefs, increased tourism, and increased aerial surveys since 1980, there is still a lack of observed bleaching in the warm pool regions where temperature models predict bleaching should occur. This contradiction was explained as a function of island remoteness that limits observation. Likewise based on those extremely high temperatures reported by the 1929 expedition, we should expect more reports of early 20th century bleaching. But surveys in the early 1900s were rare. It was native “sea cucumber” fisherman of the GBR who were most likely to observe widespread bleaching. but they were the least likely to report it, especially due to the lack of scientific journals in their native language. Furthermore, due to the prevalence of many dead reefs, most early observers of the GBR were unlikely to see a bleaching event as unexpected or worth reporting. They were more likely to see dead reefs as just another source of limestone for cement and soil amendments.

As reported by 1930s geographers, those who were mapping the GBR in the early 1900s, were largely mapping it so others could avoid the reefs and prevent shipwrecks. Reports by the Commissioner of Fisheries for Queensland, William Saville-Kent, provided rare observations of early reef conditions pre-1900. Pertinent to sea level and bleaching today, he reported being puzzled by an observation of a healthy reef immediately adjacent to a dead reef. However, he finally determined the death of that reef was caused by its higher elevation and greater exposure to extreme low tides. Similarly, researchers have determined that about 25% of the Great Barrier’s 3000 coral reefs can be classified as “senile”, meaning they have reached average sea level and have no room to continue growing vertically. Senile reefs are most vulnerable to sea level drops that can result in mortality from heat, cold or excessive freshwater. As researchers reported in 1937, “Some [reefs] are uncovered at half tide, others at low water, others again soon after high water. Still others are always submerged.” So it would be of great scientific value if, at the very least, Hughes classified bleached reefs as submerged or exposed during low tide.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Phoenix76
Poster
Posts: 346
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:16 am
Custom Title: Phoenix76
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Phoenix76 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:59 am

As reported by 1930s geographers, those who were mapping the GBR in the early 1900s, were largely mapping it so others could avoid the reefs and prevent shipwrecks. Reports by the Commissioner of Fisheries for Queensland, William Saville-Kent, provided rare observations of early reef conditions pre-1900. Pertinent to sea level and bleaching today, he reported being puzzled by an observation of a healthy reef immediately adjacent to a dead reef. However, he finally determined the death of that reef was caused by its higher elevation and greater exposure to extreme low tides. Similarly, researchers have determined that about 25% of the Great Barrier’s 3000 coral reefs can be classified as “senile”, meaning they have reached average sea level and have no room to continue growing vertically. Senile reefs are most vulnerable to sea level drops that can result in mortality from heat, cold or excessive freshwater. As researchers reported in 1937, “Some [reefs] are uncovered at half tide, others at low water, others again soon after high water. Still others are always submerged.” So it would be of great scientific value if, at the very least, Hughes classified bleached reefs as submerged or exposed during low tide.


Well I guess I will be castigated by Bobbo, but the above excerpt posses a legitimate question, and as skeptics, isn't that what we should do. So the question is - Has the known coral bleaching ever been tested against this idea of exposure due to low water? The idea has some logic to it. And when we have a mature reef that has grown to the surface of the ocean, would it not be in greater danger of extended exposure during low tides? Therefore greater possibility of bleaching.

We are very quick at times to apportion causation for things. Sometimes I feel we should sit back and look at things from different angles. Are we sometimes lacking in our forensic deliberations before passing judgement.

Sorry Bobbo, just another of my stupid, uneducated thoughts.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:04 am

You think during times of rising oceans, rising temps, and rising co2 levels that corals bleaching 10 feet below low tide should be investigated for extended exposure to low tide????

Well.......that would rule it out.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:22 am

In an interview with YaleEnvironment 360, Hughes pushed coral gloom and doom suggesting widespread bleaching made recovery extremely difficult. By focusing on an anecdotal observation of bleaching at 40 meters depth, he correctly but misleadingly argued unbleached species living at 40 meters depth and below are different from species nearer the surface, and thus cannot aid in the recovery of shallower bleached species. But this is why the lack of depth measurements is so critical. Hughes failed to report that bleaching is most often relegated to the shallowest regions, and that bleaching in shallow waters is often relegated to the upper surfaces of a colony. As shown below “mound corals” photographed around Lizard Island, where bleaching and mortality was quite extreme, only bleached on the upper halves. The bottom, shaded half of the colony still serves as a “refuge” providing new larvae to support rapid reef recovery.

Image


Unlike many “mound” corals where the individual polyps are relatively independent and partial mortality is more common, the branching corals in the genus Acropora have polyps that are more interconnected, so that injury to the upper colony often results in the death of an entire colony. Acropora species are fast growing weedy species that evolved during the last 2 million years to cope with rapid sea level change forced by alternating glacial and interglacial periods. They evolved fast growth at the expense of energy storage. As photographed below, the rapid colonization by Acropora coral results in dense thickets in the shallowest waters that are most vulnerable to bleaching and those bleached thickets are often highlighted in the media to dramatize a bleaching event.

Unlike Hughes 2017, other studies have more rigorously examined the effect of depth on bleaching. Bridges 2014 observed “coral mortality following a severe bleaching event [in 2010] had diminished sharply with depth. Bleaching-induced mortality of Acropora was approximately 90% at 0-2 m, 60% at 3-4 m, yet at 6-8 m there was negligible mortality. Importantly, at least two-thirds of the shallow-water (2-3 m) Acropora assemblage had a depth range that straddled the transition from high to low mortality.” Although the likelihood of a strong recovery is at least in part dependent on the depth of bleaching induced mortality, Hughes 2017 failed to report on any variations in mortality at shallow depths.

Image
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:11 am

Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:01 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: Tide diff is max 8 feet. Somebody is fooling somebody.


What are you talking about???? What's your point????
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:55 am

Your posted two pics look like way more than 8 feet difference in depth. As usual, your supporting evidence/links DON'T SUPPORT what you say.

How does THAT happen all the time?????????
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:07 am

You need to first show the quotes and links proving your baseless accusations that I have ever flipped flopped about CO2 being a greenhouse gas, otherwise you are proving once again you are just an ugly liar who repeats the same bogus crap ad nauseum!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Your links say the exact opposite of what you say they do.


And show the quotes and links proving your baseless accusations that "my links contradict my assertions" otherwise you are proving once again you are just an ugly liar

Your never ending string of lies is slander and your complaints about links exemplifies your two faced insincerity!
Last edited by Jim Steele on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:30 am

JS....do you confirm those two pictures show water levels no more than 8 feet different? Or are they just two random pictures that may not even be near Heron Island?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:49 am

You need to first show the quotes and links proving your baseless accusations that I have ever flipped flopped about CO2 being a greenhouse gas, otherwise you are proving once again you are just an ugly liar who repeats the same bogus crap ad nauseum!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Your links say the exact opposite of what you say they do.


And show the quotes and links proving your baseless accusations that "my links contradict my assertions" otherwise you are proving once again you are just an ugly liar

Your never ending string of lies is slander and your complaints about links exemplifies your two faced insincerity!
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:00 am

JS....do you confirm those two pictures show water levels no more than 8 feet different? Or are they just two random pictures that may not even be near Heron Island?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:01 am

Guess how deep???

Image
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:02 am

JS....do you confirm those two pictures show water levels no more than 8 feet different? Or are they just two random pictures that may not even be near Heron Island?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:51 am

You need to first show the quotes and links proving your baseless accusations that I have ever flipped flopped about CO2 being a greenhouse gas, otherwise you are proving once again you are just an ugly liar who repeats the same bogus crap ad nauseum!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Your links say the exact opposite of what you say they do.


And show the quotes and links proving your baseless accusations that "my links contradict my assertions" otherwise you are proving once again you are just an ugly liar

Your never ending string of lies is slander and your complaints about links exemplifies your two faced insincerity!
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:52 am

JS....do you confirm those two pictures show water levels no more than 8 feet different? Or are they just two random pictures that may not even be near Heron Island?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:06 pm

Because there has been 1) no change in mean maximum temperatures, 2) the upper 100 meters of ocean have not warmed since 1998 and 3) coastal temperatures around the GBR have cooled since 1998, the high ocean temperatue of 2016 had no contribution from global warming in this region.

New research details the chain of weather events that more parsimoniously explain the extreme 2016 bleaching.

1) An atmospheric hot spot over the Gulf of Carpentaria in the far north of Australia increased solar heating of its shallow waters that were made more shallow by anomalous drops in sea level (Wolanski 2017, Duke 2017).

2) In contrast to the normal westward flow of cooler Coral Sea waters across the Torres Strait into the Gulf of Carpentaria, winds forced anomalously high sea levels on the west side of the Torres Strait pushing heated Gulf of Carpentaria waters toward the anomalously low sea level on the strait’s eastern side and then onto the northern GBR. This is described in detail in The Gulf of Carpentaria Heated Torres Strait and The Northern Great Barrier Reef During the 2016 Mass Coral Bleaching Event (Wolanski 2017).

3) The small but significant sea level gradient across the Torres Strait generated a very slow flowing current so the water experienced a lengthy residence time in the shallower Torres Strait (only 5-20 meters deep) where solar heating further amplified water temperatures (Wolanski 2017).

4) In addition, regional falling sea levels coupled with extreme low tides during midday throughout the GBR further amplified water temperatures and exposed coral to hot air temperatures (Steele 2017).
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:30 pm

Although this will be disappointing news to the climate change dooms day cult denizens of this forum, Great Barrier Reef coral are on the fast track to recovery, just as I predicted in several posts.

from the Cairns Post

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/opini ... f1ae80a25c

NEWS of the Great Barrier Reef’s demise have indeed appeared to be premature – as predicted.

Cairns-based environmental science body, Tropical Water Quality Hub, released exciting news this month in an email titled: Signs of recovery on bleached coral reefs.

This is no surprise to reef operators, climate change sceptics and scientists who urged everyone not to believe the hype about the Reef’s certain doom.

The TWQH said researchers from the Australian Institute of Marine Science went back to 14 reefs between Townsville and Cairns they surveyed at the height of this year’s bleaching event and saw “significant” recovery.

“The majority of coral colonies on the inshore reefs have regained their colour and some even appear to have developing eggs in their tissues,” said project lead Dr Line Bay.

Image
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:53 am

Paywall not up on same info here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-29/c ... ry/9001518

I agree with the science reported: "Let's hope there is not another warming event this year......................"
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:58 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I agree with the science reported


Science says coral most abundant in the warmest seas, can adapt and recover quickly.

Coral alarmism is silly.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:52 am

Not if corals are the canaries in the coal mines....dying off in more repetitive multiple year massive die offs in successive years and just barely coming back. Its called: being on thin ice. Most appropriate don't you think?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:34 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Not if corals are the canaries in the coal mines..


The coral canaries tells there is nothing to worry about regards climate change. They've been there, ....and thrived!
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:00 am

Your last link is about "hope" the corals will not perish because of some good news that was unexpected. IE: stop the BS.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:40 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Your last link is about "hope" the corals will not perish because of some good news that was unexpected. IE: stop the BS.


Your reply is about your ignorance of coral biology and history. Everything I post is based on evidence supported by the peer reviewed literature.

You are the only slinger of BS.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:45 pm

Jim Steele wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Your last link is about "hope" the corals will not perish because of some good news that was unexpected. IE: stop the BS.


Your reply is about your ignorance of coral biology and history. Everything I post is based on evidence supported by the peer reviewed literature. .

No. Let me fix your post: everything you LINKED TO is based on evidence (I accept without confirmation)....its YOUR REVIEW that stinks. Your links expressed cautious optimism .......... its you that express BS: aka an unfounded irresponsible denial of risks/potentials for disaster clearly presented in your own links.

Just look.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:12 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: is based on evidence (I accept without confirmation)....its YOUR REVIEW that stinks.


ROTFLMAO

Yes my interpretation will always stink in the eyes of paranoid alarmists who do not understand science nor read scientific papers. Boobo's only acceptable interpretation must always be we are all gonna die!

ROTFLMAO
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:45 pm

Ha, ha.................."we are all gonna die....." In parallel to your OP, its not "we" but in this case the corals.

Say Jimbo: applying your masterful critical thinking skills, do you ever review your linked material? Or just accept it as written because it supports your denial?

Give it a shot.................. "if you had to" ........... whats a criticism you would make of the link? I've hinted at my own.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19775
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:36 pm

Research examines impact of coral bleaching on Western Australia's coastline
Date:
November 8, 2017
Source:
ARC Centre of Excellence in Coral Reef Studies
Summary:
The 2016 mass bleaching event on Western Australia's coastline is the most severe global bleaching event to ever be recorded. New research records the impact of this event to the rugged reefs of Western Australia.

Researchers from The University of Western Australia (UWA), ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, and Western Australian Marine Science Institution have examined the impact of the 2016 mass bleaching event on reefs in Western Australia (WA). They found significant bleaching occurred in the inshore Kimberley region, despite Kimberley corals being known as exceptionally stress resistant. They also found mild bleaching at Rottnest Island and that the Ningaloo Reef escaped bleaching.

The 2016 mass bleaching event is the most severe global bleaching event to ever be recorded.

Coral bleaching occurs as the result of abnormal environmental conditions, such as heightened sea temperatures that cause corals to expel tiny photosynthetic algae, called 'zooxanthellae.' The loss of these colourful algae causes the corals to turn white, and 'bleach'. Bleached corals can recover if the temperature drops and zooxanthellae are able to recolonise the coral, otherwise the coral may die.

The researchers, led by UWA's Dr Verena Schoepf and Masters student Morane Le Nohaïc, conducted surveys on the health of coral reefs along the Western Australian coastline from tropical to temperate locations.

"We found a concerning 57 to 80 per cent of corals on inshore Kimberley reefs were bleached in April 2016 -- this included Montgomery Reef, Australia's largest inshore reef," Dr Schoepf said.

"Our research also found that there was mild bleaching at Rottnest Island -- 29 per cent of corals were moderately bleached."


Continues...
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:41 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Summary:
The 2016 mass bleaching event on Western Australia's coastline is the most severe global bleaching event to ever be recorded. New research records the impact of this event to the rugged reefs of Western Australia.



Bleaching is not a problem unless it provokes abnormal mortality. Their failure to report mortality suggests it was not unusual, and the news release by ARC is just another example of fear mongering.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:24 pm

Being shot in the head is not a problem unless it provokes abnormal mortality.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:41 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Being shot in the head is not a problem unless it provokes abnormal mortality.


What a totally stupid analogy!!!

perhaps you were shot in the head?
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:11 am

Whats stupid about it?

Edit: oops. Of course it is stupid. ....................... so............... why isn't your statement?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:36 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Whats stupid about it?


Because clearly you are totally ignorant of coral biology and the fact that most coral 1) undergo mild bleaching every summer as they regulate their photosynthetic by-products under high insolation and 2) when they eject their symbionts it allows them to accept a different symbiont with different genetic abilities. It is an amazing example of rapid evolution by shifting and shuffling symbionts to quickly adapt to the ever changing environment.

There are many benefits when they bleach, but don't die.

In contrast shooting you in the head is not a annual phenomenon and the act has no benefit for you only harm. On the other hand it could benefit others if it reduced your ili-informed blather.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11017
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: An Ecologist’s Plea to Dr. Terry Hughes: The Public Needs Robust Science Regards Coral Bleaching, Not Fearmongering!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:19 am

mild?

Is the issue about mild annual bleaching???? Is that the "fear" your link talks about..............or are you completely off topic thinking you are clever in some non-transparent way?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?


Return to “Climate Change”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Poodle and 1 guest