Artic VERY WARM this year. Don't understand Chart at all

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Artic VERY WARM this year. Don't understand Chart at all

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:20 pm

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/arct ... +Full+Feed

It always amuses me to come up against "good science" that appears somewhat simple on its face, but I really don't understand it. This chart is one such example. I know what they "say" it means.....but I can't see it in the presentation.

Its like reading some of the IPCC reports. Peer reviewed, published, and understood by those who study in this field, but Greek to me.

Makes me laugh.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

robinson
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Sometimes nothing is real cool

Re: Artic VERY WARM this year. Don't understand Chart at all

Postby robinson » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:03 pm

I could explain it to you.
"If you tell people the truth, make them laugh. Otherwise they will kill you"
-- Oscar Wilde

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:13 am

Well................ thank you robinson. That assumes you actually understand the chart and could explain it reasonably well, which i doubt, AND that I can understand a reasonable explanation.............. which i also doubt.

I laughed again when I looked at the chart. Decided not to go to the link and try to figure it out.

"It is said" that if you really understand an issue, you can summarize it in 1-2 sentences that can be understood by anyone with common sense. =============> Go!
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Postby OutOfBreath » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:06 am

https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/seaice/pro ... rowth.html
Here's more explanation what they mean by "Cumulative freezing degree days". It's basically adding together the daily temperatures cumulatively.
That this number is sinking in regard to earlier years, and particularly compared to the background coloured historic variability is another measure for warming, and an indicator of declining volume of ice in the Arctic.

The background colours must be read like this: The darkest area is where up to 70% of the observations were clustered historically, the slightly lighter area up to 85% of observations, whereas the lightest coulour is actually 100% of the historic variability. The point being that the most recent line is well outside that historical variability.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:39 pm

Thanks OOB.... that sounds very reasonable and perhaps even helpful. But my doubt about my ability proves correct.

Return to “Climate Change”