How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28967
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Gord » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:29 am

JIm Steele wrote:
Gord wrote:Your claim was that "no respected scientist will blame climate change on [sic]1 the calving of icebergs." I showed you were wrong -- respected scientists do blame climate change for the calving of icebergs.

Glaciers calve naturally all the time. The consensus is the Larsen C calving was natural as well. Only stupid alarmist scientists and Gord will blame the Larsen C calving on climate change when that region has been cooling for 2 decades.

I'm sorry, I was unaware that anyone was blaming the Larsen C calving on climate change. I know the article to which I linked did no such thing. Have you been doing it? I mean, you are the only stupid alarmist around here that I know of. And you seem to claim that you're a scientist, at least as far as I can tell.

Gord wrote:I never claimed which iceberg calving was due to climate change,

Dont play that idiotic game. You made your climate claim in the context of the Larsen C calving. Saying some imaginary glacier over the rainbow calved due to climate change is more alarmist nonsense.

I'm not the one playing games here, it's you. I clearly explained which of your false claims I was debunking, and then I debunked it. I then explained it again. And yet, here I am, once again having to explain it?

No, sir. I'm not going to play your idiotic game. I leave you to your alarmist nonsense.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:09 pm

As noted previously, reading comprehension issues. And apparently quite serious ones...
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Jim Steele » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:49 pm

Image

Well we are about halfway through August and my prediction of Greenland gaining 500 Gigatons of ice looks spot on.

scrmbldggs thought ice gain would approach zero and dip below the lows of 2012 in August. But instead, the difference in ice gain this year only increased.

Bobbo of course, cheered on scrmbldggs bogus "dooms day" type prediction,and abusing the cherry picking accusation once again.

Apparentlly neither one can read or correctly interpret climate graphs!

scrmbldggs wrote:OK. I guess I'll come back in August when that pretty blue line took a nosedive below that red one. :senile:


bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Good catch Eggs. .... It probably will. This is Jimbo cherrypicking the zigs and the zags.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:07 am

I was being kind. Even if aligned with it, the date was more related to bobbo's request for a link than the chart. :lol:
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19173
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:42 am

Have they stopped paying the shills?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:06 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Have they stopped paying the shills?

Ha, is that why Pruitt surrounds himself with bodyguards now? :lol:



(They're on the march.)
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Jim Steele » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:28 am

scrmbldggs wrote:I was being kind. Even if aligned with it, the date was more related to bobbo's request for a link than the chart. :lol:


Kind? ROTFLMAO

Your reply makes absolutely no sense, nor explains your initial comment. It is just a diversion to deny your mistake. Calling your reply clueless is more accurate.

And again demands for links was just "bobbo blather" and your reply has no remote connection. Bobbo has been told before to simply double click a graph and then select "copy image location". He refuses to do so but the links are always available. If you double click on the Greenland ice graph, you would instanaeously be able to copy the link getting "http://www.dmi.dk/uploads/tx_dmidatastore/webservice/b/m/s/d/e/accumulatedsmb.png"

It is no surprise that someone who cant get the links that are so easily obtained interpreting a graph would be far more difficult.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:33 am

Whatevs. I don't care what you get off on... :pardon:
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Jim Steele » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:51 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Have they stopped paying the shills?



Image
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19173
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Somebody say something?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9681
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:12 pm

I like the parallel construction of this toilet bowl view of sea ice extent and Jim Steeles scientific underpinnings:

A summer sail thru the Northwest Passage. How long until Winter Too? Major flushes... along the way.


https://www.climate-lab-book.ac.uk/spirals/
Image
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:37 am

ROTFLMAO

Sailing to North Pole to show effects of global warming cancelled due to too much ice. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://climatechangedispatch.com/sailin ... -much-ice/
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:29 am

JIm Steele wrote:Well we are about halfway through August and my prediction of Greenland gaining 500 Gigatons of ice looks spot on.

At what elevation?
Hi, Io the lurker.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9681
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:41 am

Jimbo the toilet navigator: sails on the zigs: "Sailing to North Pole to show effects of global warming cancelled due to too much ice" ...........but dishonestly ignores the zags: "Sailing to the North Pole will have to wait."

A very silly person.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:41 am

This thread has been very telling.

First no one could read the graph about Greenland's surface mass balance SMB. The gloom and doomers cluelessly believed the SMB would drop to zero and sniped with stupid insults at me despite my correct prediction of a gain of 500 Gt. It was a very easy prediction for anyone who knows the basics of Greenland climate and can read a graph.

But more telling, is that not one gloom and doom sniper put forth the proper scientific argument that I was waiting for. To determine whether or not Greenland is gaining or losing mass, we must also know how much ice is being shed by glacier calving and glacier basal melting relative to the gain in SMB. I wondered who could advance that argument and drive a more meaning debate. But again the alarmist snipers here just engaged in stupid personal attacks because they are ignorant of the science and incapable of a meaningful scientific discussion. And so they demonstrate the idiocy highlighted by Thomas Sowell.

Image
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9681
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:44 am

Jim Steele: whats the trend?.........mOre or less ice 30 years from now?

All you do is dither in the zigs and zags of irrelevancy and desired misdirection. I'd think you'd be tired as posing you care about that.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:35 am

JIm Steele wrote:This thread has been very telling.

First no one could read the graph about Greenland's surface mass balance SMB. The gloom and doomers cluelessly believed the SMB would drop to zero and sniped with stupid insults at me despite my correct prediction of a gain of 500 Gt. It was a very easy prediction for anyone who knows the basics of Greenland climate and can read a graph.

But more telling, is that not one gloom and doom sniper put forth the proper scientific argument that I was waiting for. To determine whether or not Greenland is gaining or losing mass, we must also know how much ice is being shed by glacier calving and glacier basal melting relative to the gain in SMB. I wondered who could advance that argument and drive a more meaning debate. But again the alarmist snipers here just engaged in stupid personal attacks because they are ignorant of the science and incapable of a meaningful scientific discussion. And so they demonstrate the idiocy highlighted by Thomas Sowell.

Image


What part of my question did you not understand? To refresh your memory:
scrmbldggs wrote:
JIm Steele wrote:Well we are about halfway through August and my prediction of Greenland gaining 500 Gigatons of ice looks spot on.

At what elevation?
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=28368&p=598468#p598400
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:29 pm

[quote="scrmbldggs"]. What part of my question did you not understand? /quote]

Scrm I ignore most of your posts because they are usually insulting nonsense devoid of any sincere scientific discussion. Thus you need to answer your own questions. It is not my job to spoon feed you what you fail to comprehend.

I gave you the link to the DMI website where it shows the patterns of ice gain and loss. But it is clear from your posts you cant read graphs and fail to understand Greenland's climate.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:30 pm

scrmbldggs wrote: What part of my question did you not understand?


Scrm I ignore most of your posts because they are usually insulting nonsense devoid of any sincere scientific discussion. Thus you need to answer your own questions. It is not my job to spoon feed you what you fail to comprehend.

I gave you the link to the DMI website where it shows the patterns of ice gain and loss. But it is clear from your posts you cant read graphs and fail to understand Greenland's climate.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:56 pm

JIm Steele wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote: What part of my question did you not understand?


Scrm I ignore most of your posts

Since when?

because they are usually insulting nonsense devoid of any sincere scientific discussion. Thus you need to answer your own questions. It is not my job to spoon feed you what you fail to comprehend.

I gave you the link to the DMI website where it shows the patterns of ice gain and loss. But it is clear from your posts you cant read graphs and fail to understand Greenland's climate.

So you're not willing to talk below 1500 meters. OK...
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28967
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:15 pm

How much ice will the icebergs ice if the icebergs could berg ice?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:18 pm

:hmm: I think that depends on the applied diuretic. :pardon:
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10377
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:22 pm

Icebergs are calved, so it must be some sort of cow that makes 'em. Maybe all cows. Whale cows would be my first guess, because of the prevalence of icebergs in water. But then, maybe glaciers are calved by moose cows.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28967
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:35 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:Icebergs are calved, so it must be some sort of cow that makes 'em. Maybe all cows. Whale cows would be my first guess, because of the prevalence of icebergs in water. But then, maybe glaciers are calved by moose cows.

Four little words: Auðumbla.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Greenland's melt season is coming to a close and it looks like I underestimated how much ice Greenland will accumulate. It appears to be more than 500 Gigatons.

And the alarmists prediction of zero gain reveals their woeful lack of scientific skill.

Image
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:58 pm

Right. Heavy snow last fall, less melt this year. Just like with vacations, not every year is identical. Your point is?
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:50 pm

Forgot, bobbo you like charts, no? (From https://nsidc.org/greenland-today/)
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Jim Steele » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:22 pm

With melt season over Greenland is now gaining ice in August. WOW! From Sep 2016 to Sep 2017 net surface mass balance gain will be 550 Gigatons Wow! With way above average gains this week could gains reach 600 Gt?

Alarmist predictions of no gain could not have been more wrong. Again.

Image
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19173
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:35 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Right. Heavy snow last fall, less melt this year. Just like with vacations, not every year is identical. Your point is?

Gotcha Science is the brand, JIm is the man.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:12 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Right. Heavy snow last fall, less melt this year. Just like with vacations, not every year is identical. Your point is?

Gotcha Science is the brand, JIm is the man.

And especially by his relying heavily on jokes by forum posters to "prove" his view. :lol:
Hi, Io the lurker.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9681
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:02 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Forgot, bobbo you like charts, no? (From https://nsidc.org/greenland-today/)

I like charts..... yes.

I note how much I've lost interest in anything JS has to say. Makes me think of the oft referenced notion that "conservatives double down on wrong ideas when presented with facts they disagree with...." Hmmm... I do see the appeal of that reaction. Am I a conservative??..........ha, ha.......have I been presented with "facts"?

I am shutting down on the same BS just a different day..... cherry picked zig zags. I wonder if the psychologists testing the static conservative minds make the same analysis?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Jim Steele » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:59 pm

ROTFLMAO

Alarmist denial at its best. When faced with inconvenient science, engage in sniping psychobabble.

ROTFLMAO
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9681
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:33 pm

JIm Steele wrote: Alarmist denial at its best.
Where is the denial?

JIm Steele wrote: When faced with inconvenient science,
Where is the inconvenient science?

JIm Steele wrote: engage in sniping psychobabble.
Too subtle for you...........who got sniped. I'll give you the psychobabble though.... thats what the sniping was about.

Poor JIm. Can't even spell his own name.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
robinson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1022
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:55 am
Custom Title: Sometimes nothing is real cool

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby robinson » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:06 pm

JIm Steele wrote:Greenland has been adding ice at a record pace. Most likely it will gain over 500 gigatons this year

Image
That's actually what we expect to see. If the planet is warming, there should be far more snow in Greenland. That's what the ice cores show. When it gets colder there is less snow, but of course there is a bit of a lag before this shows up at the coast.
"If you tell people the truth, make them laugh. Otherwise they will kill you"
-- Oscar Wilde

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9681
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:36 pm

robinson wrote:[quote="JIf the planet is warming, there should be far more snow in Greenland. That's what the ice cores show. When it gets colder there is less snow, but of course there is a bit of a lag before this shows up at the coast.

What if conditions change?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
robinson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1022
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:55 am
Custom Title: Sometimes nothing is real cool

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby robinson » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:03 am

Conditions have changed, in fact, the ice cores show nothing but change for both temperature, amount of snow, and amount of melting. Ocean cores show the rest of the story. This is not a great mystery.
"If you tell people the truth, make them laugh. Otherwise they will kill you"

-- Oscar Wilde

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9681
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:36 am

So..... if conditions change...... of what use is ice core analysis taking place before the changed conditions?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:42 pm

Well only one poster correctly saw Greenland gaining over 500 Gigatons while predictions of loss were a massive fail.

Scientists published a paper earlier this year reconstructing Greenland ice accumulation. Results from all MAR simulations indicate that for the period 1961–1990, Greenland was adding ice at the rate of 40 Gigatons per year.
https://www.the-cryosphere.net/11/1015/ ... 5-2017.pdf

This shows no correlation with rising CO2.

The loss of ice since the late 90s appears to just be a weather zag, as Greenland is now gaining ice again, zigging back to more gains.

Greenland's past gain of ice calls into questions about causes of "alarming" sea level rise as Greenland would only contribute 15 mm to sea level since 1960, and future gains would reduce the rate. Researchers calculate a loss of 360 gigatons translates into a 1 millimeter rise in sea level, so a 550 Gt gain means there should be little sea level rise, especially if NASA scientists are correct that Antarctica is also gaining ice discussed here http://landscapesandcycles.net/antarcti ... ural-.html

Image
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1257
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:23 am

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:33 pm

OMG NASA
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28967
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: How much ice will Greenland gain this year?

Postby Gord » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:36 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:OMG NASA

They killed Kenny!
You bastards! :shakefist:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE


Return to “Climate Change”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests