Heated discussions on a hot topic.
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Exxon and climate change

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:20 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-exxon ... SKBN18R0DC

Exxon shareholders approve climate impact report in win for activists

Exxon Mobil Corp's (XOM.N) chief executive said on Wednesday the company would reconsider how it communicates the risks its faces from climate change after shareholders approved a measure calling for increased transparency.

The non-binding proposal passed with 62 percent of ballots cast in a rare defeat for Exxon's management, which had recommended a vote against the measure. The company argued that it already provides sufficient information on the potential impact of changing technologies and energy demand on its asset portfolio....

:befuddled: Exxon's shareholders want it to...what?

...The proposal asked for Exxon to report on risks its business could face from technology changes and from climate change policies such as the 2015 accord aiming to keep average global temperature increases below 2 degrees Celsius.

In remarks following the shareholder meeting, Exxon Chief Executive Darren Woods said the board would reconsider its climate change-related communications but did not commit to producing the report requested in the proposal....

...A proposal calling for a report on Exxon's efforts to reduce emissions of methane, another greenhouse gas, in its operations received support of nearly 39 percent of ballots cast.

Another proposal calling on the company to increase shareholder payouts in light of climate change-related risks was approved by less than 4 percent of ballots cast. Exxon had opposed both proposals.

Yeah, I'm lost here. Someone told me this was a good thing, but I don't really see anything here. What am I missing?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Exxon and climate change

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:29 am

..."efforts to reduce emissions of methane" seems positive? And if "the company to increase shareholder payouts in light of [taking?] climate change-related risks". That could be a deterrent?

Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:43 am

scrmbldggs wrote:..."efforts to reduce emissions of methane" seems positive? And if "the company to increase shareholder payouts in light of [taking?] climate change-related risks". That could be a deterrent?

"There is no try..... only do."

Across "the energy field" progress will be first established when fossil fuels ARE KEPT IN THE GROUND. I know: all that money just sitting there..... and all we have to do is kill millions of people to get to it.

So, as always: watch what they do, not what they say.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:36 am

Sounds like PR BS. If they gave a {!#%@} about climate change, they'd change their business model to green energy.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Climate Change”