First coal-free day in Britain since 1880s

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

First coal-free day in Britain since 1880s

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon May 01, 2017 5:23 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39675418

Don't get too excited....but stay informed: No coal....but lots of natural gas and Nukes.

................................ Still ..................... good to see a country can be aware of and working with the issues.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: First coal-free day in Britain since 1880s

Postby Poodle » Mon May 01, 2017 11:57 pm

I love the caption for the photo in that article ...
"These British miners are seen drilling for coal in 1924"
Drilling for coal with a hand-cranked horizontal borer - really? No. Actually, they're making a hole in a seam of coal so that can fill it with explosive to blow the front off the seam. It was a lot quicker and easier than using a pick.

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Tue May 02, 2017 12:35 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39675418

Don't get too excited....but stay informed: No coal....but lots of natural gas and Nukes.

................................ Still ..................... good to see a country can be aware of and working with the issues.

Lots of natural gas and Nukes, but no solar.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Tue May 02, 2017 4:46 am

near end of story --- plants switched to burning biomass or wood pellets . :-/

also I assumed they no longer have coal plants , but it was just the first 24 period without coal usage. :-/

also coal is needed for coke to make steel , and that aint gonna change
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue May 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Poodle: I assume you are reading the headline too closely? Yes no one drills for coal....ever. The process you quibble about is fairly labeled.........imo.

Nobrot: FTL:
"According to Gridwatch.co.uk, around half of British energy on Friday came from natural gas, with about a quarter coming from nuclear plants.

Wind, biomass, and imported energy were also used.
===>which was about 25%? Wind/Wood pellets/biomass a "green" product growing in use. Imported energy--could be anything???

Psych: hmmm...I assume you can make coke much more efficiently rather than as a by product of a coal fired electrical plant? Might even make a better steel???

I love the way technology marches on...... every discovery/progess just the start of whole new materials and newer tech.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Tue May 02, 2017 6:30 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Poodle: I assume you are reading the headline too closely? Yes no one drills for coal....ever. The process you quibble about is fairly labeled.........imo. ...

Here's where we differ, I think, bobbo. I think it borders upon the idiotic to accept such drivel. Inventing captions which are simply wrong is not, in my opinion, a 'fair' occupation. If it is, how much does it pay? If it's good enough, I can do about a hundred captions a day and still get to the pub in time for lunch.

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Tue May 02, 2017 10:07 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...
Psych: hmmm...I assume you can make coke much more efficiently rather than as a by product of a coal fired electrical plant? Might even make a better steel???...

Coke is not a by product of a power station boiler. Power station coal is pulverised almost to dust and is injected into the hearth with compressed air. The by product is 'fly ash' which may or may not be put to good use, much debate.
Coke is produced in an airless furnace, a coke oven. The volatiles are driven out and collected, these by products are indeed useful.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed May 03, 2017 1:13 pm

Poodle: what you demand for a headline then is: "Coal miners drilling holes to be filled with explosives to reveal the next layer of earth that may or may not contain enough coal sufficient to pay for the operation to continue."

Seems a bit wordy to me.

I assume you don't tweet????????

otoh/caiftod (Coming at it from the other direction): "Miners Drilling"...which any idiot can see from the picture. So....what can be added to the picture, that is descriptive, that is not the entire article itself? A real conundrum.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed May 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Nobrot: thanks for the info/confirmation. I have heard "coke mill" in the past. Never knew it was so specific.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed May 03, 2017 3:16 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Poodle: what you demand for a headline then is: "Coal miners drilling holes to be filled with explosives to reveal the next layer of earth that may or may not contain enough coal sufficient to pay for the operation to continue."

Seems a bit wordy to me.

I assume you don't tweet????????

otoh/caiftod (Coming at it from the other direction): "Miners Drilling"...which any idiot can see from the picture. So....what can be added to the picture, that is descriptive, that is not the entire article itself? A real conundrum.

Ah - I think I see the problem here. It's actually ... "Coal miners drilling holes in which to place the explosive which will shatter the front of the face so that the coal is more easily retrievable." Face workers don't search for anything - they're miners and are paid to get coal out of the ground. It doesn't actually matter to the UK any longer - there are no longer any deep mines in operation. There are a few open cast mines, but they simply use a mechanical digger in those.
Even so, the point here is surely accuracy. It's axiomatic that finding out what's BS and what's not is preferable to making stuff up.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed May 03, 2017 3:41 pm

Poodle: well, I thought my own iteration was more accurate (and not what is BS) by recognizing one cannot just assume that coal will be revealed? Once you start to quibble.......its quibble all the way??

Now....this is really problematic: "Face workers don't search for anything - they're miners and are paid to get coal out of the ground." Whats a face worker? Seems to me if they are the ones drilling holes, they have to search or identify where to place said holes? And from what you say, if accurate, they are not paid for drilling those holes....they are only paid for the coal removed????? Whole lot of questions come to the fore when you get really accurate?

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Wed May 03, 2017 5:31 pm

"Face workers don't search for anything - they're miners and are paid to get coal out of the ground."

Is correct. No searching is needed from the point of view of the miners, they know where the coal seam is, the geologists told them. Or to be specific, the geologists told the mining company where to sink the shafts. It starts with drilling prospect holes over a wide area using core bits. If the core samples consistently show a coal seam at a certain depth typically 3,000ft+ UK. Then no matter where you sink the mine shafts you will hit the coal seam at exactly 3,000ft. You are in the coal seam. No matter which way you turn, its all coal. If it's a 6-8ft seam, happy days, if it's 3-4ft, then you'll wish you had joined the Navy instead.

Return to “Climate Change”