Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:57 pm

While alarmists try to enshrine climate scientists as pure and unbiased, those familiar with real life science understand a scientist's opinion should always be challenged- challenged because personal bias taints their interpretations and challenged because a small minority will fudge the data in order to gain peer acceptance, status and funding.

Read the NY TImes piece Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/11/opini ... .html?_r=1

Scientific fraud is found in the field of medical science because results can be quickly checked. In climate science, dooms day predictions are cast far into the future and alarming predictions go untested. As seen in the diagram below negative ecological disruptions are highlighted as the deadly consequence of climate change while ignoring thriving populations just a few meters away. Unfortunately the few climate alarmists that constitute "consensus" have circled the wagons to protect obviously flawed publications as documented in How the American Meteorological Society Justified Publishing Half-Truths http://landscapesandcycles.net/American ... truth.html and seen in the Climate gate emails. They should be concerned. The crack down is coming.

“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19792
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Filed under "poisoning the well".
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:53 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Filed under "poisoning the well".


Better to file this under "Don't drink the Kool-Ade" but people will always believe what they want to believe.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:08 pm

And the Beat Goes On

Three PLOS ONE papers retracted for totally made-up data

http://retractionwatch.com/2014/07/11/t ... e-up-data/
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:20 pm

The disciples of anthropogenic catastrophic climate change who try to enshrine alarmist climate scientists as pure and above human frailties, remind me of a Frank Zappa song "It Cant Happen Here!"

phpBB [video]
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
SweetPea
Has No Life
Posts: 12885
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:11 am
Custom Title: Too Cute

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby SweetPea » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:26 pm

Disinfectants such as chlorine are poisons, yes. :)
Time to clean up the scummy water and pump it out..
How do the Deniers get so lucky?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24129

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:13 am

SAGE Publications busts “peer review and citation ring,” 60 papers retracted

http://retractionwatch.com/2014/07/08/s ... retracted/
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:33 am

Three PLOS ONE papers retracted for totally made-up data

http://retractionwatch.com/2014/07/11/t ... e-up-data/
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:52 pm

More on a fraudulent fabrication of climate consensus

http://climateaudit.org/2014/07/26/cooks-fake-ethics-approval/
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
SweetPea
Has No Life
Posts: 12885
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:11 am
Custom Title: Too Cute

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby SweetPea » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:37 pm

Or "Why can't they stop fibbing?"
How do the Deniers get so lucky?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24129

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:36 pm

Ever wonder why when climate scientists manipulate the data they call it homogenization.

http://landscapesandcycles.net/why-unwarranted-temperature-adjustments-.html

BUt when medical researchers manipulate the data they call it fraud.

http://retractionwatch.com/2014/08/06/researcher-with-25-retractions-covered-up-other-fraud-says-university/

The Japanese endocrinology researcher Shigeaki Kato, with at least 25 retractions to his name, is alleged to have been the ringleader of a scheme to cover up other research misconduct at the University of Tokyo, his former employer, which investigated the activity.

According to the Japan Times, Kato and three other colleagues took steps to hide evidence of image manipulation in five of 51 theses between 1996 and 2011:
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:58 pm

Social psychologist comments on climate fraudsters Lewandowsky and John Cook

"It wasn’t enough to lie about people and smear them as believing things they definitely do not believe. He needed to take another swipe. The journal, Frontiers in Psychology, wisely ended up retracting that paper, which is exactly what should happen to this fraud here."

http://www.joseduarte.com/blog
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
robinson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1028
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:55 am
Custom Title: Sometimes nothing is real cool

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby robinson » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:56 pm

With out fraudulent changes to temperature data, people would realize that the climate isn't warming like the alarm ringers want. It actually seems the majority of the brainwashed researchers and climate scientist are able to mentally avoid reality. Like Trenberth freezing in his home, unusually cold temperatures effecting his life. while at the exact same time still insisting it's warming.

It's a travesty, just not the way he is thinking of.
"If you tell people the truth, make them laugh. Otherwise they will kill you"
-- Oscar Wilde

User avatar
SweetPea
Has No Life
Posts: 12885
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:11 am
Custom Title: Too Cute

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby SweetPea » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:06 pm

JIm Steele wrote:Social psychologist comments on climate fraudsters Lewandowsky and John Cook

"It wasn’t enough to lie about people and smear them as believing things they definitely do not believe. He needed to take another swipe. The journal, Frontiers in Psychology, wisely ended up retracting that paper, which is exactly what should happen to this fraud here."

http://www.joseduarte.com/blog

It's good to see some of their own field taking up the issue of the harm that crackpot scumbags are causing their own field and their own causes.
How do the Deniers get so lucky?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24129

User avatar
robinson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1028
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:55 am
Custom Title: Sometimes nothing is real cool

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby robinson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:31 pm

JIm Steele wrote:While alarmists try to enshrine climate scientists as pure and unbiased, those familiar with real life science understand a scientist's opinion should always be challenged- challenged because personal bias taints their interpretations and challenged because a small minority will fudge the data in order to gain peer acceptance, status and funding.
For some reason, probably a "save the world" or messiah complex, skeptics who would never buy some claim based on fraudulent science, just roll over and orgasm every time some new catastrophic claim is made about global warming. These otherwise seemingly rational skeptics go nuts when it comes to climate change.
"If you tell people the truth, make them laugh. Otherwise they will kill you"

-- Oscar Wilde

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:42 pm

While other scientific disciplines have papers retracted for manipulating data, manipulating data has been the backbone of climate science throughout the world. ONe more example is being condemned in Australia.



Whole article here http://jennifermarohasy.com/2014/08/whos-going-to-be-sacked-for-making-up-global-warming-at-rutherglen/
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:30 pm

Could not help but remember how the IPCC promoted the bogus claim that the Himalayan glaciers would be gone by 2030, or Kilimanjaro was shrinking due to global warming even though local air temperatures never rse above freezing.

Seems like every day I read retractions of scientific work such as this one today

Tracking retractions as a window into the scientific process
Former Vanderbilt scientist faked nearly 70 images, will retract 6 papers: ORI

http://retractionwatch.com/2014/11/20/f ... apers-ori/

But the higher I go, the crookeder it becomes. Where the hell does it end?"

Michael to Connie in Godfather 3
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7634
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby TJrandom » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:27 pm

JIm Steele wrote:Could not help but remember how the IPCC promoted the bogus claim that the Himalayan glaciers would be gone by 2030, or Kilimanjaro was shrinking due to global warming even though local air temperatures never rse above freezing.

Seems like every day I read retractions of scientific work such as this one today

Tracking retractions as a window into the scientific process
Former Vanderbilt scientist faked nearly 70 images, will retract 6 papers: ORI

http://retractionwatch.com/2014/11/20/f ... apers-ori/

But the higher I go, the crookeder it becomes. Where the hell does it end?"

Michael to Connie in Godfather 3


Medical - right? But even with climate change scientists, indeed not all will be honest or even unbiased, which is why the peer review process and reaching consensus across the thousands of scientists is important, and seemingly already achieved.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:40 am

TJrandom wrote:
Medical - right? But even with climate change scientists, indeed not all will be honest or even unbiased, which is why the peer review process and reaching consensus across the thousands of scientists is important, and seemingly already achieved.


Medical science is the most likely discipline to be replicated due to its economic and life and death importance.Thus it is the one scientific discipline with the greatest degree of checks and balances. Yet numerous bogus studies have been published with fallacies undetected by peer review.

Most of climate science is based on future speculation that cant be replicated or critically evaluated for decades. Nonetheless some studies blaming ecological changes on climate change can be critically evaluated but still peer review has failed miserably in that respect.

Read How the American Meteorological Society Justified Publishing Half-Truths
http://landscapesandcycles.net/American ... truth.html
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7634
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby TJrandom » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:57 am

JIm Steele wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
Medical - right? But even with climate change scientists, indeed not all will be honest or even unbiased, which is why the peer review process and reaching consensus across the thousands of scientists is important, and seemingly already achieved.


Medical science is the most likely discipline to be replicated due to its economic and life and death importance.Thus it is the one scientific discipline with the greatest degree of checks and balances. Yet numerous bogus studies have been published with fallacies undetected by peer review.

Most of climate science is based on future speculation that cant be replicated or critically evaluated for decades. Nonetheless some studies blaming ecological changes on climate change can be critically evaluated but still peer review has failed miserably in that respect.

Read How the American Meteorological Society Justified Publishing Half-Truths
http://landscapesandcycles.net/American ... truth.html


I see. So it looks like we will just need to wait a century or two, or possibly even a millennium to see the results. That is cool – assuming that corrective action is taken, or just really hot, if not.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:56 am

Where in the USA are you that it is really hot???
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7634
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby TJrandom » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:55 am

JIm Steele wrote:Where in the USA are you that it is really hot???


It was too hot for me, so I left about 30 years ago - but I did regularly return for meetings, etc. Last time I visited was about 5 years ago. Sioux Falls ought to be simmering right about now…. :D

User avatar
robinson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1028
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:55 am
Custom Title: Sometimes nothing is real cool

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby robinson » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:24 pm

TJrandom wrote:Sioux Falls ought to be simmering right about now…. :D


Ha! If by simmering you mean freezing their balls off, you would be correct.
"If you tell people the truth, make them laugh. Otherwise they will kill you"

-- Oscar Wilde

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7634
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby TJrandom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:32 pm

robinson wrote:
TJrandom wrote:Sioux Falls ought to be simmering right about now…. :D


Ha! If by simmering you mean freezing their balls off, you would be correct.


By simmering, I meant preparing for a hot war as the Sioux Nation takes on the fossil fuel pipeline, assuming those new brats that are descending upon Washington get their way. :oops:

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:13 pm

Here is The Top 10 Retractions of 2014 at TheScientist http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/41777/title/The-Top-10-Retractions-of-2014/

Unfortunately retractions are just the tip of the ice berg as many dishonest papers are not retracted if they have political import as documented here http://landscapesandcycles.net/American_Meterological_Society_half-truth.html

Now read how the ocean acidification data has been manipulated by a researcher funded by John Kerry's wife's Heinz foundation

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/12/23/touchy-feely-science-one-chart-suggests-theres-a-phraud-in-omitting-ocean-acidification-data-in-congressional-testimony/#comment-1820268
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7634
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby TJrandom » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:20 pm

JIm Steele wrote:Here is The Top 10 Retractions of 2014 at TheScientist http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/41777/title/The-Top-10-Retractions-of-2014/

Unfortunately retractions are just the tip of the ice berg as many dishonest papers are not retracted if they have political import as documented here http://landscapesandcycles.net/American_Meterological_Society_half-truth.html

Now read how the ocean acidification data has been manipulated by a researcher funded by John Kerry's wife's Heinz foundation

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/12/23/touchy-feely-science-one-chart-suggests-theres-a-phraud-in-omitting-ocean-acidification-data-in-congressional-testimony/#comment-1820268


It looks to me like you have found two that at least in your opinion should be retracted. If that is indeed your position, it is the very tip of a small ice berg - maybe an ice cube? Unless I am mistaken, none of those listed in your first link had anything to do with climate change.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:57 am

Most scientists acknowledge that there is no attempt to replicate or verify between 30 and 50% of all published papers. Due to time and expense constraints ecological papers (time) and climate papers (expense and time due to access to models) it is even less likely that such papers are ever replicated. In that sense the papers that are retracted are just the tip of the iceberg. Indeed I am angry about any and all scientific fraud.

There are many other examples besides the 2 I have posted above, such as the Yamal tree ring scandal revealed by Steve McIntyre http://climateaudit.org/2012/05/06/yama ... awed-data/

There is a long post here citing many dishonest "amputations" of the data to create an illusion of reality. viewtopic.php?f=40&t=23423

TJ, oddly your reply suggests you condone the deceptive practices that have been exposed? I would think people in search of the truth would be angry about such deception.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7634
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby TJrandom » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:09 pm

JIm Steele wrote:...TJ, oddly your reply suggests you condone the deceptive practices that have been exposed? I would think people in search of the truth would be angry about such deception.


Oddly - I can`t find any such suggestion in my reply. Would you care to pick out the words that suggest that to you?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19792
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:23 pm

The Steeley-eyed Denier Man can see things mere mortals can't.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:43 pm

TJrandom wrote:Oddly - I can`t find any such suggestion in my reply. Would you care to pick out the words that suggest that to you?


Its the lack of words and redirection.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7634
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby TJrandom » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:33 pm

Bad as any intentional dishonesty or willful distortion of evidence by scientists might be, it appears to me to pale in light of your, and likeminded deniers attempts to paint hard working and dedicated scientists as frauds.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19792
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:49 pm

TJrandom wrote:Bad as any intentional dishonesty or willful distortion of evidence by scientists might be, it appears to me to pale in light of your, and likeminded deniers attempts to paint hard working and dedicated scientists as frauds.

That's all they have.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:20 am

Y'all just illustrated my point.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7634
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby TJrandom » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:06 am

JIm Steele wrote:Y'all just illustrated my point.


And your point was…. Oh, yea – that deniers will do anything to paint scientists as frauds. Got it.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:14 pm

You are either in denial yourself, or extremely naive. Scientists are human. Some have unassailable integrity, but a few are trying to protect their status and funding. No one is trying to paint all scientists as frauds. But when the data reveals the truth. When it looks and walks like a duck, its a likely a duck. If catastrophic CO2 theory depends on supporting those few fraudsters and if instead you choose to attack the whistle blowers, then maybe you need to take a hard look in the mirror and ask why?
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7634
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby TJrandom » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:18 pm

JIm Steele wrote:You are either in denial yourself, or extremely naive. Scientists are human.


Agreed, scientists are human but it would be naïve to allow you to paint all scientists as frauds based upon just a very few examples.

Some have unassailable integrity, but a few are trying to protect their status and funding.


No – not just some – but rather most have unassailable integrity. And yes – a few (a very few) may resort to fraud to obtain additional funding, publicity, etc..

No one is trying to paint all scientists as frauds. But when the data reveals the truth. When it looks and walks like a duck, its a likely a duck.


You are. And indeed you are given away by your `quack quack quack` - trying to link any scientific fraud to climate change.

If catastrophic CO2 theory depends on supporting those few fraudsters and if instead you choose to attack the whistle blowers, then maybe you need to take a hard look in the mirror and ask why?


Ah, but it doesn`t now does it… remember the 97%? As for whistle blowers – I have certainly not attacked any, and don`t believe that you are one. Please go look in that mirror yourself and ask just what is it that causes you to attack science.

EDIT: BTW Jim – are you receiving your fair share of the millions being spent on climate change denial?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_denial

User avatar
robinson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1028
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:55 am
Custom Title: Sometimes nothing is real cool

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby robinson » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:17 pm

"If you tell people the truth, make them laugh. Otherwise they will kill you"

-- Oscar Wilde

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: Consensus is not evidence
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby Jim Steele » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:52 pm

Indeed Robinson, the misuse of many trends only obscures natural variations that would elucidate important dynamics but instead suggest an alternate reality.

Also there seems to be an attempt to enshrine climate scientists as infallible and the epitome of correctness, reminiscent of third world cult of personality movements. TJ reminds me of CitizenChallenge who would get abnormally upset if anyone ever challenged the findings of a climate scientist, even though it is based on solid evidence and even though that is exactly what the scientific method demands. Instead of discussing the merits/errors of a climate science interpretation, TJ/CitizenChallenge prefer to engage in shoot the messenger tactics against anyone who demonstrates the fallacies spread by their climate change "cult heroes". In addition to their "shoot the messenger" tactics, they use the bogus tactic of suggesting any attack on bad science in a specific article, is an attack on "science". Such a very biased and uncritical discussion of those erroneous papers is the very antithesis of the scientific process.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7634
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby TJrandom » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:19 pm

Lol – oh the irony…
Last edited by TJrandom on Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
robinson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1028
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:55 am
Custom Title: Sometimes nothing is real cool

Re: Crack Down on Scientific Fraudsters

Postby robinson » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:11 am

JIm Steele wrote:In addition to their "shoot the messenger" tactics, they use the bogus tactic of suggesting any attack on bad science in a specific article, is an attack on "science". Such a very biased and uncritical discussion of those erroneous papers is the very antithesis of the scientific process.
In the case of current "climate science", politics and fear seem to be driving forces, rather than an understanding of how our earth and solar system actually works. Since I was indeed one of the faithful fear driven masses for a long time, I tend to be compassionate for anyone living in fear and dread, even anger, over the assumed disaster that global warming is going to be.

You can't blame anyone for believing a huge disaster is coming, that message has been hammered into the collective for decades now. But the religious like refusal to discuss, or to even look at, any evidence or scientific research that even hints at things not being that bad, that part can seem like madness to the open minded skeptic.

While education and evidence seems like it would be a strong counter to woo woo thinking, pseudo-scientific beliefs and fear mongering, there are sound reasons to believe that in the case of strongly held beliefs, facts actually won't matter at all. Facts can actually make a believer even stronger in their beliefs, creating an "us vs them" mentality, that is almost impossible to counter with any sort of science.
"If you tell people the truth, make them laugh. Otherwise they will kill you"

-- Oscar Wilde


Return to “Climate Change”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest