All fossil-fuel vehicles will vanish in 8 years .......

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

All fossil-fuel vehicles will vanish in 8 years .......

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed May 17, 2017 3:25 am

Have I lost track of how fast technology can be? don't think "the grid" can handle the power demand for all electric in 8 years...meaning a good percentage of the oil burned in cars would be burned in the power plants? A net boost in efficiency but not a collapse in that industry? but maybe. The change in transportation should be linear rather than logarithmic. Still a fun read .... very short.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... e-industry
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

ElectricMonk
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: All fossil-fuel vehicles will vanish in 8 years .......

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed May 17, 2017 6:59 am

Not quite what the article says....

no more oil-powered cars will be sold in 8 years. But they won't vanish quickly.

I can see this in principle (though I would go with 10-15 years), because once Electric becomes the new norm, the re-sale value of gasoline cars will drop so much that typical first customers of new cars (for example, fleets for rental car companies, etc.) will no longer buy them.
But that in turn will mean that car owners will cling to their smoking cars for as long as possible unless there is an attractive government "cash-for-clunkers" program for accelerate the transition.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed May 17, 2017 6:26 pm

There are still one or two companies in the US making buggy whips. Old techs well supported by infrastructure don't die suddenly.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed May 17, 2017 6:36 pm

My neighbor has a 1927 Plymouth pickup truck in pristine state. That won't disappear in 8 years.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Thu May 18, 2017 1:21 am

The entire electrical infrastructure will need to dug up and replaced with heavier cabling. Digging up Tokyo will cost how much? Billions or trillions? And where is the generating capacity coming from? All this in eight years? It's not going to happen.

Return to “Climate Change”