It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Postby nmblum88 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:10 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote: ... I'm recalling the "Bobby Who?" scandal under LBJ. In 1963, LBJ said Bobby (last name, I forget) was "the first person I see every morning and the last person I see at night." ...

Maybe that was his pet name for his peeped.... :lol:

Nah... although foolishness and infantilism are not impediments for either running for public office or actually being elected.
But knaves do have business partners and even friends who will throw them under the train of history if necessity (or fear) demands.
LBJ and the legacy for greatness that was his dream,was done in early in his ascendency to the Presidency by his acolyte, factotum, friend Bobby Baker (I think that "scandal" was as early as 1963...but perhaps a bit later).
However, the blow that left a whole country reeling and haunts us still, was the defection of Billy Sol Ester (the name recalls Texas, but the ethos was wholly American) who not only revealed much about where the gold AND the bodies were buried, but planted the seed for the conspiracy "theory" that haunts our national life and character still: that Johnson was the instigator of the assassination of his predecessor, JFK.
(Their mutual stores were told and then some in the remarkable saga of Lyndon Baines Johnson written (four volume's worth) by Robert Caro.
Highly recommended reading,,,)
Right now it seems as if Donald (Caligula) ) Trump would have to marry his horse on the steps of the Capitol to incur more than a shrug from the people who elected him... but certainly his "Billy Sol" is out there.... waiting to save us from what could be the final Götterdämmerung.***
NMB

*** My coffee and my optimism have just run out: so "NO" I don't think that's the way it's going to end.
NMB

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Unlimited_Oracular_Guidance

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:12 pm

nmblum88 wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote: ... I'm recalling the "Bobby Who?" scandal under LBJ. In 1963, LBJ said Bobby (last name, I forget) was "the first person I see every morning and the last person I see at night." ...

Maybe that was his pet name for his peeped.... :lol:

Nah... although foolishness and infantilism are not impediments for either running for public office or actually being elected.
But knaves do have business partners and even friends who will throw them under the train of history if necessity (or fear) demands.
LBJ and the legacy for greatness that was his dream,was done in early in his ascendency to the Presidency by his acolyte, factotum, friend Bobby Baker (I think that "scandal" was as early as 1963...but perhaps a bit later).
However, the blow that left a whole country reeling and haunts us still, was the defection of Billy Sol Ester (the name recalls Texas, but the ethos was wholly American) who not only revealed much about where the gold AND the bodies were buried, but planted the seed for the conspiracy "theory" that haunts our national life and character still: that Johnson was the instigator of the assassination of his predecessor, JFK.
(Their mutual stores were told and then some in the remarkable saga of Lyndon Baines Johnson written (four volume's worth) by Robert Caro.
Highly recommended reading,,,)
Right now it seems as if Donald (Caligula) ) Trump would have to marry his horse on the steps of the Capitol to incur more than a shrug from the people who elected him... but certainly his "Billy Sol" is out there.... waiting to save us from what could be the final Götterdämmerung.***
NMB

*** My coffee and my optimism have just run out: so "NO" I don't think that's the way it's going to end.
NMB

Splendid post! You are correct about the dates of the Bobby Baker scandal, as XCalibur pointed out above.

I believe it was the Kingston trio who did a popular song about old Billy Sol: "Billy Sol Estes, we're proud of ya, boy. Hey Billy Billy, hey Billy Billy So-ol..." I'm betting it's on YouTube. While you're getting more coffee (i just finished a big mug), I'll prowl around there and see if I can find "The Ballad of Billy Sol." He was, by the way, a Kennedy scandal, if I remember correctly, a big donor to JFK.
"Still, doubts gnawed at everyone. And under no circumstances could I acknowledge my own similar doubts. In order to coax the participants into psychic stability, I had to appear to be rock-solidly convinced of the necessity of carrying out this horrifyingly cruel command."

Rudolf Höß, hanged facing Auschwitz, the camp he commanded, in April 1947. He admitted to 1.1 to 1.5 million murders carried out under his command. Eichmann told him the number was 2.5 million.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:15 pm

Yup, it was done by both Phil Ochs and Jessie Lee Turner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zAyEpSq790

But it's not the words I remember. I found them, but the website triggered what I believe is a phony virus warning from Microsoft, so I'm deleting the link I put in. It may be a dicey website.

Note added later: It was indeed a phony virus warning, a piece of "scareware" that's been around for four years, hoping to lure the user into downloading some worthless anti-malware. This is the first time I've seen it. I don't know if it's associated with the website I had linked to, but it's best to err on the side of caution.
"Still, doubts gnawed at everyone. And under no circumstances could I acknowledge my own similar doubts. In order to coax the participants into psychic stability, I had to appear to be rock-solidly convinced of the necessity of carrying out this horrifyingly cruel command."

Rudolf Höß, hanged facing Auschwitz, the camp he commanded, in April 1947. He admitted to 1.1 to 1.5 million murders carried out under his command. Eichmann told him the number was 2.5 million.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:53 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:FAUX News Nation...

AKA "Fakes and Friends"?

The Great Negotiator is giving himself an easy A+ in pretty much everything - except in getting his message across. And then shows off his playpen. :senile:

(Id means ignorant and delusional, right?)

Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Stock market looking good today ... what did they expect, one wonders in jaw-dropping astonishment?
"It was still at the stage of clubs and fists, hurrah, tala"

nickterry
Regular Poster

Postby nickterry » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:41 pm

A Washington Monthly blogger linked back to this old piece by David Frum from 2010, written after Obamacare was first passed. Worth re-reading (it's not enormously long)
http://www.frumforum.com/waterloo/

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:54 pm

^March 2010...

Conservative talkers on Fox and talk radio had whipped the Republican voting base into such a frenzy that deal-making was rendered impossible. How do you negotiate with somebody who wants to murder your grandmother? Or – more exactly – with somebody whom your voters have been persuaded to believe wants to murder their grandmother?

Where's their railing against the recent proposals in healthcare and budgeting now?

I’ve been on a soapbox for months now about the harm that our overheated talk is doing to us. Yes it mobilizes supporters – but by mobilizing them with hysterical accusations and pseudo-information, overheated talk has made it impossible for representatives to represent and elected leaders to lead. The real leaders are on TV and radio, and they have very different imperatives from people in government. Talk radio thrives on confrontation and recrimination. When Rush Limbaugh said that he wanted President Obama to fail, he was intelligently explaining his own interests. What he omitted to say – but what is equally true – is that he also wants Republicans to fail. If Republicans succeed – if they govern successfully in office and negotiate attractive compromises out of office – Rush’s listeners get less angry. And if they are less angry, they listen to the radio less, and hear fewer ads for Sleepnumber beds.

So today’s defeat for free-market economics and Republican values is a huge win for the conservative entertainment industry. Their listeners and viewers will now be even more enraged, even more frustrated, even more disappointed in everybody except the responsibility-free talkers on television and radio.

Of course some would like to think the current activism against one of them is based on the same mechanism, which it, of course, is not...

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster
Location: At the hundredth meridian, where the great plains begin

Postby Jeff_36 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:15 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Remember way back last summer when being under FBI investigation was disqualifying for being president?

IIRC I thought that no American in his/her right mind (except for some redneck {!#%@} in Idaho and Louisiana) would vote for a bloated, ridiculous, comical figure with strong indicators of mental illness. I figured that "populisim" works when you are a legitimate hardcase like Andrew Jackson who has killed people personally and can convey a sense of toughness and grit. A lazy, fat, billionare from New York City? Not so much.

So in a way I'm still confused why working America fell for this fattest of the cats.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:28 am

Jeff_36 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:Remember way back last summer when being under FBI investigation was disqualifying for being president?

IIRC I thought that no American in his/her right mind (except for some redneck {!#%@} in Idaho and Louisiana) would vote for a bloated, ridiculous, comical figure with strong indicators of mental illness. I figured that "populisim" works when you are a legitimate hardcase like Andrew Jackson who has killed people personally and can convey a sense of toughness and grit. A lazy, fat, billionare from New York City? Not so much.

So in a way I'm still confused why working America fell for this fattest of the cats.

Besides the dupes and the changers, seems others took things like this into consideration: "Even if people don't like me, they have to vote for me. You know why? Justices of the Supreme Court."

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Postby Xcalibur » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:41 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:

Besides the dupes and the changers, seems others took things like this into consideration: "Even if people don't like me, they have to vote for me. You know why? Justices of the Supreme Court."

Which was the ONLY reason I voted for Hillary. :evil:
Last edited by Xcalibur on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:59 am

Maybe this is of interest.

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Postby Xcalibur » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:44 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Maybe this is of interest.

Be interesting to see who emerges as the Martin Bormann character in this opera bouffe.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:57 am

The Dow Jones Index fell 240 points, which isn't that significant yet. However, as the Trump policy of a trillion dollar infrastructure spending, has reintroduced inflation and long term bank bonds have risen about three points, it is going to be harder for firms to borrow infrastructure building capital in the USA anyway.

The humorous part to this was Spicer previously saying the rise in the stock market was due to Trump's policies and Spicer now saying the reduction in the stock market had nothing to do with Trump policies.

One of the important elements of the firm's decision making process is predictability. In some ways, it doesn't matter if inflation is 1% or 15% if the firm can predict its profit over the duration of the venture. If it can't predict what the economic environment will be in two or so years, it will act conservatively. I suggest that inflation rising is one unknown, but the other point is whether Trump will proceed or even be in government in two or so years, is another element.

On an international level, inflation rising will be world wide. That means labour costs may effectively reduce in manufacturing countries, meaning more competition for joining USA manufacturing firms. Other governments will be attempting to freeze labour cost inflation for this reason.

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster
Location: At the hundredth meridian, where the great plains begin

Postby Jeff_36 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:26 am

I cant post links on my tablet, so I will fill in the blanks. Recently, Mike Huckabee tweeted in regards to the travel ban "Trump could just ignore the judicial ruling like Andrew Jackson did" or something like that. For those of you unaware, the judicial ruling that Huckabee is referring to here (from Jacksonian times) was the ruling that struck down the Indian Removal Act of 1830. After ignoring the ruling (and firing off a zinger so widely repeated that I'm sure you all know it) Old Hickoree forcibly relocated the Five Civilized Tribes of Georgia, Florida, Alabama and Mississipi to Oklahoma, an event that is known as "The Trial of Tears". Where many died. This is what Huckabee referrs to as a positive precident for Trump to follow lol.

I have no words.
Last edited by Jeff_36 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:28 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:The Dow Jones Index fell 240 points, which isn't that significant yet. However, as the Trump policy of a trillion dollar infrastructure spending, has reintroduced inflation and long term bank bonds have risen about three points, it is going to be harder for firms to borrow infrastructure building capital in the USA anyway.

The humorous part to this was Spicer previously saying the rise in the stock market was due to Trump's policies and Spicer now saying the reduction in the stock market had nothing to do with Trump policies...

Really? :-P Earlier I read this...
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-s ... SKBN16S19H wrote:
With valuations stretched, investors see the Trump administration's struggles to push through the healthcare overhaul as a sign he may also face setbacks delivering promised corporate tax cuts. Expectations of those tax cuts are a major reason for the 10-percent surge in the S&P 500 since Trump's election.

"The market is starting to get a little fed up with the lack of progress in healthcare because everything else is being put on the back burner," said RJ Grant, head of trading at Keefe, Bruyette & Woods in New York.

As usual, they're talking to their fervent supporters, who'll still bask in anything emanating from the Orange Glow. But I hear there's some dimming, tho. With that much less green, he surely appreciates the taxpayers supporting his golf trips and other extravaganzas...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:53 am

Jeff_36 wrote:I cant post links on my tablet, so I will fill in the blanks. Recently, Mike Huckabee tweeted in regards to the travel ban "Trump could just ignore the judicial ruling like Andrew Jackson did" or something like that. For those of you unaware, the judicial ruling that Huckabee is referring to here (from Jacksonian times) was the ruling that struck down the Indian Removal Act of 1830. After ignoring the ruling (and firing off a zinger so widely repeated that I'm sure you all know it) Old Hickoree forcibly relocated the Five Civilized Tribes of Georgia, Florida, Alabama and Mississipi to Oklahoma, an event that is known as "The Trial of Tears". Where many died. This is what Huckabee referrs to as a positive precident for Trump to follow lol.

I have no words.

Found it. Recalled StatMech writing about that earlier here.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:55 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Really? :-P Earlier I read this...

OK I can see that. We have three Trump policies that may be reducing the market's capital investment.
1) The corporate tax cuts are not seeming to be forthcoming
2) The anticipated trillion dollar infrastructure investment is pushing up interest rates and inflation,
3) The risk of a trade war is making US firms anxious about exports sales.

I'm a bit stupid. In Australia if a company pays tax, issued company dividends come with an imputation tax credit for the share of company tax paid. The individual resident gets the tax credit which is added on paper to the net monetary distribution as "income". Thus you only pay tax once on (net monetary distribution + tax credit.) The USA uses a classical system where the company pays tax and the net is distributed to shareholders. The individual pays tax again on the net receipt, so you pay tax twice. We have two very different company tax systems. I keep forgetting that. :D

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:49 am

Jeff_36 wrote:I cant post links on my tablet, so I will fill in the blanks. Recently, Mike Huckabee tweeted in regards to the travel ban "Trump could just ignore the judicial ruling like Andrew Jackson did" or something like that. For those of you unaware, the judicial ruling that Huckabee is referring to here (from Jacksonian times) was the ruling that struck down the Indian Removal Act of 1830. After ignoring the ruling (and firing off a zinger so widely repeated that I'm sure you all know it) Old Hickoree forcibly relocated the Five Civilized Tribes of Georgia, Florida, Alabama and Mississipi to Oklahoma, an event that is known as "The Trial of Tears". Where many died. This is what Huckabee referrs to as a positive precident for Trump to follow lol.

I have no words.

Maybe that suggestion to follow this example... referred to the deportation of Americans of certain ethnic origins.... :roll:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:16 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:The Dow Jones Index fell 240 points, which isn't that significant yet. However, as the Trump policy of a trillion dollar infrastructure spending, has reintroduced inflation and long term bank bonds have risen about three points, it is going to be harder for firms to borrow infrastructure building capital in the USA anyway.

The humorous part to this was Spicer previously saying the rise in the stock market was due to Trump's policies and Spicer now saying the reduction in the stock market had nothing to do with Trump policies.

One of the important elements of the firm's decision making process is predictability. In some ways, it doesn't matter if inflation is 1% or 15% if the firm can predict its profit over the duration of the venture. If it can't predict what the economic environment will be in two or so years, it will act conservatively. I suggest that inflation rising is one unknown, but the other point is whether Trump will proceed or even be in government in two or so years, is another element.

On an international level, inflation rising will be world wide. That means labour costs may effectively reduce in manufacturing countries, meaning more competition for joining USA manufacturing firms. Other governments will be attempting to freeze labour cost inflation for this reason.

My reading of yesterday's sell-off has less to do with policy than achievement, lack thereof. These are the people - the investors who've bloated the market - who have been pushing prices up in expectation that economic nirvana is at hand with a business-guy president who will deregulate the banks (yes, the ones he promised to get tough with), deregulate across the board, and cut taxes. But he is struggling on the gimme - repeal & replace - and more or less stalled on everything else. He doesn't look like he can get 'er done fast, thus the doubt.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:24 am

I have no words.

Not exactly, but kind of. The court case (1832) was (quoting from an earlier post on this) "Worcester v Georgia, which ruled against the state of Georgia in a case involving the conviction of Samuel Worcester and other unlicensed, non-Indians for being on Indian lands in Gwinnett County. The ruling held that Indian affairs were governed by treaties with the federal government and thus were not the province of states." It was after this ruling, which was intended to establish tribal rights vis-a-vis the states, that Jackson used federal authority to proceed with Cherokee removal, starting in 1836. Jackson's authority IIRC came from an act of Congress, the Indian Removal Act, passed in 1830. I think (too lazy to check) that removal of other tribes had already begun early in the 1830s.

But that is what Huckabee meant, garbling the Jackson quotation, which itself is apocryphal - Trump should just ignore the courts and keep out whoever he wants.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:33 am

scrmbldggs wrote:

The humorous part to this was Spicer previously saying the rise in the stock market was due to Trump's policies and Spicer now saying the reduction in the stock market had nothing to do with Trump policies...

Really? :-P Earlier I read this...
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-s ... SKBN16S19H wrote:
With valuations stretched, investors see the Trump administration's struggles to push through the healthcare overhaul as a sign he may also face setbacks delivering promised corporate tax cuts. Expectations of those tax cuts are a major reason for the 10-percent surge in the S&P 500 since Trump's election.

"The market is starting to get a little fed up with the lack of progress in healthcare because everything else is being put on the back burner," said RJ Grant, head of trading at Keefe, Bruyette & Woods in New York.

As usual, they're talking to their fervent supporters, who'll still bask in anything emanating from the Orange Glow. But I hear there's some dimming, tho. With that much less green, he surely appreciates the taxpayers supporting his golf trips and other extravaganzas...

This is how I read the market decline yesterday. I don't think inflation fears enter into it yet. This is about short-sighted and somewhat economically challenged investors believing Trump's rhetoric and promises, which line up with their primitive economic ideas, but now increasingly concerned that the tax cuts and deregulation aren't coming as they watch the administration fail to deliver on any of its large promises and struggle to deliver an "easy" promise, healthcare in a Republican dominated government. With legislation and appointments backed up, and loss after loss, including credibility for the president himself, it is past time these clowns with money to invest actually noticed reality.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:41 am

Tillerson. Jesus wept.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:48 am

For Jeff_36, Guardian review of impeachment process and possibilities (with slight nod to 25th Amendment)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:09 am

from conclusion of NY Times editorial on Ryan-Trump healthcare bill ("A Republican Health Care Bill in Search of a Problem"):
In a better world, this bill would never have seen the light of day, much less be offered for a vote. It is no fair-minded person’s vision of what the American health care system should look like. It is designed to let Mr. Ryan and Mr. Trump declare that they have driven a stake through the heart of Obamacare, no matter the collateral damage to millions of Americans.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:23 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Tillerson. Jesus wept.

God must have been busy watching sparrows fall when he was supposed to be appointing the US Secretary of State. This is what happens when God's mind wanders. We should just be glad he was concentrating hard earlier when he installed Trump as POTUS.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:

God must have been busy watching sparrows fall when he was supposed to be appointing the US Secretary of State. This is what happens when God's mind wanders. We should just be glad he was concentrating hard earlier when he installed Trump as POTUS.

He said he had not met Donald Trump before being summoned to Trump Tower after the surprise election victory, ostensibly to talk to the president-elect “about the world” and his experiences as an oil company CEO.

Is that another lie to keep Drumpf out of any "Russian connections" - or is it true and then a question is, who recommended him? And why.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:For Jeff_36, Guardian review of impeachment process and possibilities (with slight nod to 25th Amendment)

Anyone have any ideas about what would happen if the election itself would be called into question? (I know, fat chance, but with the stand of things re Russia's interference, inquisitive minds want to know! :-P)

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:33 pm

A joke going around Moscow during The Great Terror:

The NKVD knocks on a door.
The inhabitants ask who it is.
“NKVD.”
“You’ve got the wrong apartment. The Communists are upstairs.”

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:41 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

He said he had not met Donald Trump before being summoned to Trump Tower after the surprise election victory, ostensibly to talk to the president-elect “about the world” and his experiences as an oil company CEO.

Is that another lie to keep Drumpf out of any "Russian connections" - or is it true and then a question is, who recommended him? And why.

IT had to be Cheney or someone just as evil. Actually I think Condeleezza Rice and Bob Gates.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:46 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:For Jeff_36, Guardian review of impeachment process and possibilities (with slight nod to 25th Amendment)

Anyone have any ideas about what would happen if the election itself would be called into question? (I know, fat chance, but with the stand of things re Russia's interference, inquisitive minds want to know! :-P)

I know of no mechanism for invalidating the election. There may be one but I have never heard of such a thing.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Well, this is embarrassing:

http://resistancereport.com/politics/supreme-court-overturns-gorsuch/

To be honest, Gorsuch doesn't really matter. It's the next judge that will count.

“NKVD.”

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:05 pm

He sez he was bound by rules in that case - true or not (and I'm leaning to believe him, he seems competent even if... somewhat ugh), his buddies will still be all for him.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:13 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:He sez he was bound by rules in that case - true or not (and I'm leaning to believe him, he seems competent even if... somewhat ugh), his buddies will still be all for him.

From what I've seen I agree, he seems competent enough. Right now he is the least of our problems.

“NKVD.”

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:15 pm

"Trump Troubadour" and Grieving father: 'I don't play Trump songs anymore' (His son died of an overdose. :( )

But last week, Moss read about the proposed American Health Care Act. The Republican bill would end the Obamacare requirement that addiction services and mental health treatment be covered under Medicaid in the 31 states that expanded the health care program -- which include Moss' home state of New York.

"This bill would devastate efforts to address the opioid crisis," said Dr. Joshua Sharfstein...

...Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price was asked about the bill's provisions for opioid treatment...He responded that state governors had "wonderful ideas about how to address it"...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Now this is funny. If you go to this article at CNN Politics about a Trump loyalist defending him and if you scroll down, the next part is all about... :lol:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:31 pm

I've posted about this before and don't like it at all. Ivanka gets "security clearance, access to classified information and a government-issued handheld device" without any rules attached to her "voluntary" position. Trumpenagians at their finest?

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:41 pm

CNN is reporting that House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes found evidence that Trump's personal communications were picked up in the course of regular intelligence operations.

I don't think this is really news. Nunes even said that this was legal:

(CNN)House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes said Wednesday that President Donald Trump's personal communications may have been picked up by investigators through "incidental collection."

Nunes said at a news conference he discovered the potential surveillance of Trump himself while reviewing intelligence reports, but said it was not related to Russia.
"This is a normal, incidental collection, based on what I could collect," Nunes said. "This appears to be all legally collected foreign intelligence under" the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

But, I suspect the giant orange anus to make a big deal about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/22/politics/devin-nunes-trump-communications/index.html

“NKVD.”

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:54 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:He sez he was bound by rules in that case - true or not (and I'm leaning to believe him, he seems competent even if... somewhat ugh), his buddies will still be all for him.

From what I've seen I agree, he seems competent enough. Right now he is the least of our problems.

He says he's competent, but he has been trying to hide his Heritage Foundation ideology; this isn't about competence - it's about ideology and how he will rule. I've read that he is in some ways to the right of Scalia. He is a very big problem and will be one for many years to come.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:58 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:CNN is reporting that House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes found evidence that Trump's personal communications were picked up in the course of regular intelligence operations.

I don't think this is really news. Nunes even said that this was legal:

(CNN)House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes said Wednesday that President Donald Trump's personal communications may have been picked up by investigators through "incidental collection."

Nunes said at a news conference he discovered the potential surveillance of Trump himself while reviewing intelligence reports, but said it was not related to Russia.
"This is a normal, incidental collection, based on what I could collect," Nunes said. "This appears to be all legally collected foreign intelligence under" the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

But, I suspect the giant orange anus to make a big deal about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/22/politics/devin-nunes-trump-communications/index.html

Of course, if his people weren't in touch with Russians who were under surveillance, how could they be picked up in such surveillance. And Trump was apparently one of those "collected incidentally." How could that happen given the assurances we've been given?

Return to “Politics and Government”