It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Unlimited_Oracular_Guidance

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:38 am

Not that mere facts make the slightest difference to Trump supporters, but at least the reality-based community needs access to those facts when Trump's people start making their hysterical claims about illegal immigrants.
"Still, doubts gnawed at everyone. And under no circumstances could I acknowledge my own similar doubts. In order to coax the participants into psychic stability, I had to appear to be rock-solidly convinced of the necessity of carrying out this horrifyingly cruel command."

Rudolf Höß, hanged facing Auschwitz, the camp he commanded, in April 1947. He admitted to 1.1 to 1.5 million murders carried out under his command. Eichmann told him the number was 2.5 million.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:40 pm

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:40 pm

So the entirely unnecessary "bill that saves the day" would make it legal for kids to be "arrested" - detained with their parents? No wonder he got righteous standing ovations in yesterday's closed meeting with the Reptilians.

Lard, save me from your followers.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:27 pm

Now that Haley (accompanied by Pompeous) quit the inhumanly anti-American meanies Russia Hopes To Replace U.S. On U.N. Human Rights Council. Ya think his fat puppy got a pat on the head for retrieving that ball?

(I guess the withdrawal wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the "council has the mandate to promote and protect human rights around the world. It also investigates allegations of human rights abuses in U.N. countries."...)

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:23 pm

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/20/migrant ... eport.html wrote:
• It reportedly costs $775 per person per night to keep the newly separated children of families who cross the U.S. border illegally in "tent cities."

• The per-person cost at certain detention centers that would keep families together is $298 per night, according to an agency estimate from 2014, NBC reported.

• The Trump administration plans to spend almost a billion dollars to detain and house children in the 2018 fiscal year, according to Health and Human Services data reviewed by Bloomberg...

Almost half of that funding will go to a single Texas nonprofit, Bloomberg said. That nonprofit, Southwest Key Programs, will reportedly be paid $458 million in 2018.

...The Center for Investigative Reporting and The Texas Tribune found that Southwest Key Programs was cited by state inspectors for more than 246 violations...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:31 pm

btw, it's been reported that gov. funded direct legal representation for detained migrant children has been stopped.

But the First Immigrant is big on chain migration family reunification and is kindly sharing her own immigration attorney with her parents and sister.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:29 pm

The annual migration uptick (and described as a slight one at that) is blamed on what ticked him off and set this in motion. (Even though these measures have been talked about and actively set in motion since last March.) And there will be no intervention by the instigator because all of it makes him feel big, strong and mighty.

Will someone please tell him the only reason he can puff himself up like that is because Congress is too greedy to slap him on the wrist?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:48 pm

Charity Navigator has not analyzed Southwest Key Programs. My own review: it doesn't look obviously corrupt....and I've heard reports the private charity orgs do a better job of caring for the kiddies than the Gubment run ones.

But...even when not swamped as they are now, its not their job, and practically they can't, keep track of kiddies and parents for the ultimate reunification.

I'm pretty much a hard ass when it comes to immigration....but the analogies to "Hitler" are entirely apt I think. Congress should object just on the unnecessary expense..>>until you accept this is a pure gambit to force 10 Dumbocrats to agree to fund the Wall....another waste of money, but Trumps builder friends will benefit from that stupidity.

How many straws on the camels back now???.....Or is it an Abrams tank? All blowing off in the breeze?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Apparently they are moving the older kids HHS can and does take care of out to accommodate the "tender aged" ones, who must be cared for by DHS. Seems some of those have been shipped as far as Michigan.

In other mews, while Pence keeps praising his dog (Donny), some pious folks - who uncritically believe in an abstract sky daddy - claim the situation isn't even happening, it's leftist propaganda. And others, as usual, blame the (godforsaken) victims. (And United Methodist seems to no longer hold Sessions in such high esteem. They actually filed a formal complaint* against him. :lol:)

* For Child Abuse, Immorality, Racial Discrimination and (paraphrased) false doctrine.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:40 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:...And there will be no intervention by the instigator because all of it makes him feel big, strong and mighty.

Will someone please tell him the only reason he can puff himself up like that is because Congress is too greedy to slap him on the wrist?

:| He'll sign a (previously "impossible") executive order to stop the separations.

Bye bye, Sessions? Was it the high cost of room and board? And what will the righteous defenders of their own nonexistent truth say now? Oh wait, he gave them an answer: it's not that it wasn't happening just like that in other administrations, it just was never reported by the Fake News. What a hero!

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:13 pm

So the cost of the new monster they created has been skyrocketing and will get worse. I sure hope Trumplings are glad that they gave up their health safety net for something humane and noble. :soppy:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:16 pm

The other good news is that there are probably tons of people carrying all kinds of goodies simply walking unscathed across a no longer sufficiently watched border... :-P

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:27 pm

After several airlines said they'd rather not wish to carry away children that were taken from their parents, DHS spox Houlton said "...it's unfortunate that American, United, and Frontier Airlines no longer want to partner with the brave men and women of DHS to protect the traveling public, combat human trafficking, and to swiftly reunite unaccompanied illegal immigrant children with their families."

"Despite being provided facts on this issue, these airlines clearly do not understand our immigration laws and the long-standing devastating loopholes that have caused the crisis at our southern border...Buckling to a false media narrative only exacerbates the problems at our border and puts more children at risk from traffickers. We wish the airlines would instead choose to be part of the solution."

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:01 am

The base (in general) started cracking and breaking away? Why? Because he didn't flat-out claim it all was his idea and doing?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:46 am

The administration is considering merging the Departments of Labor and Education - he's still fond of his days in vocational school (that "community college" thing no one seems to know what it is) when he didn't peek at his classmate's work, since that guy was surely dumber than he himself...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:13 am

This seems part of the current mess where asylum seekers get a hearing only after they have been convicted (of illegal entry, because they had been blocked from using the ports of entry ):

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/12/politics/sessions-immigrant-domestic-violence-victims/index.html wrote:
Sessions...overruled the Board of Immigration Appeals on a decision that had determined all asylum cases are entitled to a hearing before their bid for protections is rejected. Sessions' move means that asylum cases could now be rejected without those immigrants getting an opportunity to argue their case in court; judges can make decisions based on briefs.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:17 am

In addition, instead of providing more of the promised resources such as judges, they stocked the border between ports of entry with more patrols.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:00 am

Gee Eggs: I hope and assume you aren't as obsessed (upset?) as your in a row postings might indicate? Take a few breaths, walk around the yard?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:52 am

You're new here, eh? :-P

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:24 am

Well, we all will post 3-4 in a role on occassion. And you have done that on this thread.....but what is the last count? Seems like more than 5. No need to even count. Its always good to take a perimeter yard walk.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:07 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Now that Haley (accompanied by Pompeous) quit the inhumanly anti-American meanies Russia Hopes To Replace U.S. On U.N. Human Rights Council. Ya think his fat puppy got a pat on the head for retrieving that ball?

(I guess the withdrawal wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the "council has the mandate to promote and protect human rights around the world. It also investigates allegations of human rights abuses in U.N. countries."...)

I suppose this means the IRS will disallow the contributions we have always made to UNHRC as charity next year. Well, at least we now know why Trump REALLY quit.
"Still, doubts gnawed at everyone. And under no circumstances could I acknowledge my own similar doubts. In order to coax the participants into psychic stability, I had to appear to be rock-solidly convinced of the necessity of carrying out this horrifyingly cruel command."

Rudolf Höß, hanged facing Auschwitz, the camp he commanded, in April 1947. He admitted to 1.1 to 1.5 million murders carried out under his command. Eichmann told him the number was 2.5 million.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:11 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/20/migrant ... eport.html wrote:
• It reportedly costs $775 per person per night to keep the newly separated children of families who cross the U.S. border illegally in "tent cities."

• The per-person cost at certain detention centers that would keep families together is $298 per night, according to an agency estimate from 2014, NBC reported.

• The Trump administration plans to spend almost a billion dollars to detain and house children in the 2018 fiscal year, according to Health and Human Services data reviewed by Bloomberg...

Almost half of that funding will go to a single Texas nonprofit, Bloomberg said. That nonprofit, Southwest Key Programs, will reportedly be paid $458 million in 2018.

...The Center for Investigative Reporting and The Texas Tribune found that Southwest Key Programs was cited by state inspectors for more than 246 violations...

I saw that on my news feed this morning. I have a Modest Proposal to make: Why not put the people in single rooms at a five-star hotel? That would cost less money, and it's absolutely certain that nobody would try to escape. (Would you?)

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:19 am

scrmbldggs wrote:You're new here, eh? :-P

Just part of the continuing concern certain posters here have with straightening out the messes we would otherwise all make of our lives. Surely each of us needs a sagacious counselor. It's a much higher calling than merely engaging in a debate would be. Geez, one would think the purpose of this board was discussion of issues, when we all know it's really the place we come to get guidance for our personal lives from people who have no idea what we do when we're not posting here.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:24 pm

He might not know it, but bobbo just missed you guys. :-P

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:50 pm

Fallout's trickling in - approval at Rasmussen dropped to 46. From the snipped I saw from last night's ego stroking rally, he didn't seem fully as smugly self-confident as usual. Cohen turns his back on him, in a recent filing by Mueller, known un-indicted individuals currently collaborating with election meddling efforts (however paraphrased, I think that's what it said, can't find the thing atm) have been mentioned - what outrageous stunt will he pull to get back on top? Or will he simply hold a Trump Rave every other day now...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:You're new here, eh? :-P

Just part of the continuing concern certain posters here have with straightening out the messes we would otherwise all make of our lives. Surely each of us needs a sagacious counselor. It's a much higher calling than merely engaging in a debate would be. Geez, one would think the purpose of this board was discussion of issues, when we all know it's really the place we come to get guidance for our personal lives from people who have no idea what we do when we're not posting here.

Well. Thats quite subtle. Still.....my "insult low level light" is showing the barest of illumination. It will pass.

I think the fact is, we all do various things all the time. Not too many stuck on one note.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:04 pm

New Time cover - reminded me of this.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:08 pm

The Time cover is too kind. No balls at all.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:02 pm

They said everything is taken away from the kids.

Even their shoelaces. And slips of papers with contact numbers.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:09 pm

But I have to say, that soulless stare is pretty chilling. This is the guy who reportedly recommended to little Iwanther to get plastic surgery for hotness and, according to a fellow student, without a word struck Jr so hard in college that he hit the ground. Because he was wearing jeans and a jersey and not a suit to go to some sports event with his dad.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:12 pm

Could it be the money keeping the family so closely knit?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:15 pm

That, and the successful brainwashing for "loyalty". And general weirdness. Apparently.

It's strange, and perhaps telling, that people say Pence adores him so much because he reminds him of his father.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Pence got abused by his dad too?.....Hmmm...."something ain't right with the boy," evidently even God the Father can't fill the vacuum.

Trump: a nice clean example of an individual driving History.....and that on various different issues/attitudes/general outlook on life: there is a pretty constant 30% of people who are nuts.

The Family of Man.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:36 pm

I'm glad I'm one of the other nutty 30%.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:40 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I'm glad I'm one of the other nutty 30%.
Right Arm: good catch. We should all know our own list.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:47 pm

the ongoing news re the kiddies separated from their parents by our Jack Booted thugs. Seems to me, Congress should pass a bill creating a program to bring reunite those families. I recommend at a minimum some kind of "team" to go to Mexico and points South with pictures of every single kid. Advertise their status and that parents can Id themselves and get a free trip to the USA to pick they up....or kiddies flown to their parents. ID confirmed by dna before transfer is made.

Its the right thing to do...........................no one will think of it.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:56 pm

No DNA test necessary if you just let the groups meet. Except the infants, they'll all break speed records. :-P

Doubtful about a sensible gubmint program. But individuals have kicked in mightily and are raising funds for bail and legal assistance. That one couple on FB seems to have been drowned in donations after asking for fifteen hundred bucks to help out a bit.

It really hit a nerve. Ha, I wouldn't be surprised to see even Puerto Rican donations.

Edits: So much for trying to sneak in a link. :glare:
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:01 pm

I think the rightful parents are going to be spread out all over the place...and a reasonable chance for fraud and abuse...Last thing is to give the kiddie to the wrong parent. Cheapest, quickest, surest way: provide free dna testing/matching anyone who spits in a letter and sends it to what's her face.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:55 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:New Time cover - reminded me of this.

Wonder if Donnie will now stop boasting about how many times he's made the cover of Time. That cover is a classic and will live down the ages, alongside the poster of Uncle Sam pointing a finger and saying "Your country needs YOU!"

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:36 pm

And it's so very fitting. Word has it the only thing that made him "back down" is his extreme cable news consumption and not being able to handle the backlash*. And the calls for her to show up even got Melanie off her newly lifted butt and visit a shelter.

* Moving images from the recent love fest show not even half of the people behind him clapping and hollering. He's losing his energy vampire touch.

Return to “Politics and Government”