It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:30 am

LOL
"World peace is certainly an ideal worth striving for; in Hitler's opinion it will be realizable only when one power, the racially best one, has attained complete and uncontested supremacy. That can then provide a sort of world police, seeing to it at the same time that the most valuable race is guaranteed the necessary living space. And if no other way is open to them, the lower races will have to restrict themselves accordingly."

- Rudolf Hess, letter, 1927

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Postby Xcalibur » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:37 am

"Cuts to women's healthcare? Our plan increases funding for pelvic exams."

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:49 am

Gord wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:Image

Caption contest time! :mrgreen:

Reporter: "Mr. Spicer, can you close your eyes and touch your fingertips together for us?"
Spicer: "Sure. See? They are touching!"

"How big was that pile he made you eat this morning again?"

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:53 am

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Wild animal

Postby Gord » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:54 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Gord wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:Image

Caption contest time! :mrgreen:

Reporter: "Mr. Spicer, can you close your eyes and touch your fingertips together for us?"
Spicer: "Sure. See? They are touching!"

"How big was that pile he made you eat this morning again?"

"The President and I are in total agreement moving forward in this direction. Period!"
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Wild animal

Postby Gord » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:01 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Barry ?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/secret-s ... d=46204467

Secret Service laptop with Trump Tower floor plans stolen in New York

:facepalm:

From the video:

"...the authorities believe that the laptop thief likely didn't know what they were making off with other than the computer itself?"

"David, they think it was a common crook who had no idea no idea what he stole but with all the news coverage he may figure it out. At any rate it's been a rough day at the Secret Service. David?"

"The suspect likely knows now...."

Double :facepalm:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Jeffk 1970
Persistent Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:06 am

I want to see Trump's birth certificate. That weird orange color makes me think he is either from Mars or wherever Oompah Loompahs come from.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:08 am

Gord wrote:Secret Service laptop with Trump Tower floor plans stolen in New York

...and now they are saying they can remotely wipe it

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:11 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

I want to see Trump's birth certificate. That weird orange color makes me think he is either from Mars or wherever Oompah Loompahs come from.

Bill Maher saw it. When Trump (or his lawyer) pulled it out to prove that he was not fathered by an orangutan. :doh:

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:20 am

Someone called David Mack tweeted this about Merkel's visit to the White House this afternoon: "Remember this morning when we thought only US-UK diplomatic relations were in danger? What an innocent time that was."
"World peace is certainly an ideal worth striving for; in Hitler's opinion it will be realizable only when one power, the racially best one, has attained complete and uncontested supremacy. That can then provide a sort of world police, seeing to it at the same time that the most valuable race is guaranteed the necessary living space. And if no other way is open to them, the lower races will have to restrict themselves accordingly."

Jeff_36
Persistent Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:56 am

I have reconsidered my position. I no longer think that the best way to defeat Trump is by creating/aggravating a rift between Ryan and Bannon (although I do think that it is inevitable, if not already happening and that the two are incompatible).

The healthcare bill put forth by the GOP is a major blow to Trump's populist credo - it directly harms those whose votes carried him into the White House: Main Street, small town, working class, post-industrial belt, middle America. Peoria basically. If he had not won that demographic he would have lost by something like 520 electoral votes.

If I'm Chuck Schumer, I'm getting together the whole {!#%@} team from both houses together right now, and I'm telling them that from here on out the focus is on the 2018 midterms and the message will be healthcare, healthcare, healthcare, all the time. The goal is to appeal to the hardworking Americans who were tricked into putting their hopes in Trump and who got shafted in return. Betrayal should be the theme of the day, and it would go far.

They should focus on red districts first. Nominating winnable candidates in those districts is important - you can't have a professional activist win a district in suburban Kansas City. If they do this, they will control both houses in 2019, and then they will be able to invoke the 25th amendment, section 4.
Last edited by Jeff_36 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:01 am

...and get the word out that the only real "death panel" is the one that puts out bills that will deprive old and sick people of food and affordable healthcare.

Tucker: "Bloomberg analysis...showed that counties (middle class, working counties) that voted for you"

Trump: "Yeah. Oh, I know.

Tucker: "will do far less well under this bill...than more affluent counties...

Trump: "I know."

(my paraphrased and most likely somewhat incorrect transcription from https://youtu.be/sIQ4ng0e1GU?t=7m42s)

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:52 am

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:53 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Tucker: "Bloomberg analysis...showed that counties (middle class, working counties) that voted for you"

Trump: "Yeah. Oh, I know.

Tucker: "will do far less well under this bill...than more affluent counties...

Trump: "I know and I don't give a {!#%@}, I never did."

ftfy

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:33 am

They only have to block, expose and defeat him more. He'll complain, whine and blame, but his moral bankruptcy will be filed on public record and he'll walk away - as usual...

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:25 am

:hmm: Nobody challenging my pipe dream? Hope that's a good sign. :mrgreen:

How about T. Rump was rude to Merkel not because she's the better man, but because he doesn't know the difference between Germany and the Netherlands - where, apparently, the message was, "Not that we don't have our measure of racism, but we just can't vote for anyone that's even remotely like Trump."

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:36 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:Except we will be apologizing to the United Kingdom for lying and trying to blame them for our president's {!#%@} . . .

spoke too soon, no apology made and none forthcoming: it was FOX's fault, according to the lying sack of {!#%@} in the White House:
I didn't make an opinion on it. That was a statement made by a very talented lawyer on Fox. And so you shouldn't be talking to me. You should be talking to Fox. Okay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0ZMs9WU-fU

TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:50 am

I am waiting for the crowds to chant - Lock him up. LOCK him Up, LOCK HIM UP....

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:55 am

Typical journo-drop-in piece on Trump voters. In these stories, reporters from NYC or DC or like that drop in on people who live in depressed and isolated communities and locate and talk a bit to Trump voters there. On the basis of a few such conversations, they report on what’s really going on in the country.

In this piece, we learn that Trump supporters who would be hard hit by his proposed budget 1) have depended on certain federal programs on the chopping block (e.g., “If it hadn’t been for Legal Aid, I guess we’d just live in our car”), 2) “understand what he’s trying to do,” 3) worry that after being “productive citizen[s]” they will “feel worthless now” without the support they need, 4) “hate to see him cut us,” but 5) “Honestly … like Donald Trump,” 5) feel that the cuts are justified because “We need to teach our children to work and go out and be independent,” 6) worry that it will be their jobs and benefits being cut, 7) have yet to regret their vote for Trump.

Something is missing in reporting like this. I think, knowing Trump voters, what’s missing is an understanding of why these people have supported Trump in the first place and what these people leave out when they talk to reporters. When they say “our children” need to “work and go out and be independent,” for example, they seem mean someone else’s children - because they explain themselves as having done things right and being deserving. Left unsaid is who are those undeserving poor folks. When they still like Trump, it’s because he’s their mouthpiece for their grievances against these other, undeserving people;. When they demand the benefits that have helped them, and which they deserve, they are being consistent - they have earned support in hard times, those other people, the ones not discussed, haven't.

I write this more in sadness than anything - but it is hard to muster sympathy for people whose perspective doesn’t take them beyond their own front yard and whose bigotry places themselves at the center of their small worlds. They are getting what they voted for - only they never gave a moment’s thought that what they voted for applies to them, too. I know I'm supplying surmises here, but those guesses are based on what I hear from people I talk with who support Trump - many of whom have supported the Tea Party and right-wing Republicans before Trump - and whose situations parallel those described by the people in this piece and others like it: none of them are, in their own minds, takers, some would even tell you that they don't get the government benefits they've depended on. Only when we chat, the people I know, maybe because they know me, identify those other people, the underserving folks who are dependent on government benefits, who are "takers," and who should be cut off - "what he's trying to do" being understandable, after all.

Upton_O_Goode
Regular Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote: I think, knowing Trump voters, what’s missing is an understanding of why these people have supported Trump in the first place and what these people leave out when they talk to reporters. When they say “our children” need to “work and go out and be independent,” for example, they seem mean someone else’s children - because they explain themselves as having done things right and being deserving. Left unsaid is who are those undeserving poor folks. When they still like Trump, it’s because he’s their mouthpiece for their grievances against these other, undeserving people;. When they demand the benefits that have helped them, and which they deserve, they are being consistent - they have earned support in hard times, those other people, the ones not discussed, haven't.

I write this more in sadness than anything - but it is hard to muster sympathy for people whose perspective doesn’t take them beyond their own front yard and whose bigotry places themselves at the center of their small worlds. They are getting what they voted for - only they never gave a moment’s thought that what they voted for applies to them, too.

I think that's the most plausible explanation for the fact that people whine about the increased cost of medical care that is bound to come, and STILL think it's a good idea. There are limits, I believe. I've never met an old person who thinks Medicare doesn't work, and their conservative outrage at Obamacare was based on their belief that he was cutting Medicare to provide it.

It's always a mystery to me that the wealthy have been so successful in turning middle-class resentment downward, against the truly miserable people at the bottom, and not upward against the filthy-rich who plunder the treasury every day to get yet more luxuries for themselves. Perhaps the easy answer is that the poor are out there underfoot all the time and leave a bad impression, while the rich either stay in their gated communities or dress elegantly when out in public and don't ever ask people for their spare change.

There is an opposite blindness that I don't think we need to fear any time soon: Middle class people finally roused to tax the rich to fund government programs suddenly discovering that the rich can't provide all the money they need, and so they themselves get labeled as "the rich" when taxes are raised. That has happened, on occasion, in France.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

― H.L. Mencken, On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:11 pm

Reports on Trump's secret plan for the speedy obliteration of ISIS - the plan he boasted about on the campaign trail - say that Trump's Plan B is warmed over Obama's Plan A: "Plan B is just, 'Try harder at Plan A,'" in the words of retired Admiral James Stavridis. OTOH advocates of air power - presumably because air power always works fast - are highly critical and advocate putting the air force in charge and attacking with more firepower from the air. No wonder Trump is so quiet about this. Now.

Upton_O_Goode
Regular Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:27 pm

And the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung weighs in:

Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung wrote: In der gemeinsamen Pressekonferenz mit Bundeskanzlerin Merkel am Freitag hätte er die Frage eines Reporters nutzen können, um die Wogen zu glätten. Stattdessen bekräftigt er indirekt noch einmal seine Vorwürfe und verweist auf Medien, auf die man sich zuvor bezogen habe. „Fragt mich nicht, fragt Fox“, rät der Präsident.

(In the joint press conference with Chancellor Merkel on Friday, he could have used a reporter's question to smooth things over. Instead, he reinforced the charge indirectly and advised the assembled media, "Don't ask me, ask Fox.")

That would be the same Fox News who congratulated itself so loudly on their own reporter's having unearthed the "fact" that it was the British Intelligence who did the wiretapping, a charge repeated by Sean Spicer, and for which the grownups in the White House had to issue an apology and a promise not to repeat the charge.

That's OK, though. The mouth-breathing knuckle-walkers who support Trump have already filed away this "fact" and will brush aside the apologies and retractions as just a smoke screen.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Upton_O_Goode
Regular Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:34 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-t ... SKBN16O2EH

Wow! What a subject for speculation! If it was just an opportunistic snatch, the robber will probably jettison it in the East River. But if it was an anti-Trump or anti-American, targeted snatch, WATCH OUT!!

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:And the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung weighs in:

Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung wrote: In der gemeinsamen Pressekonferenz mit Bundeskanzlerin Merkel am Freitag hätte er die Frage eines Reporters nutzen können, um die Wogen zu glätten. Stattdessen bekräftigt er indirekt noch einmal seine Vorwürfe und verweist auf Medien, auf die man sich zuvor bezogen habe. „Fragt mich nicht, fragt Fox“, rät der Präsident.

(In the joint press conference with Chancellor Merkel on Friday, he could have used a reporter's question to smooth things over. Instead, he reinforced the charge indirectly and advised the assembled media, "Don't ask me, ask Fox.")

That would be the same Fox News who congratulated itself so loudly on their own reporter's having unearthed the "fact" that it was the British Intelligence who did the wiretapping, a charge repeated by Sean Spicer, and for which the grownups in the White House had to issue an apology and a promise not to repeat the charge.

That's OK, though. The mouth-breathing knuckle-walkers who support Trump have already filed away this "fact" and will brush aside the apologies and retractions as just a smoke screen.

In the same remarks, Trump referred to Andrew Napolitano, the man who spun up the British CT on FOX, as "a certain very talented legal mind . . . a very talented lawyer." The NY Times is now reporting that one of Napolitano's sources was Larry C, Johnson, known for previously promoting an untrue attack on Michelle Obama (that she'd been caught on videotape referring to "whitey"). Mr Johnson first floated his British spying theory on RT. As for Mr Napolitano himself, where to begin? This very talented legal mind is, Trump left unstated, a 9/11 truther. A lot of interesting critters in Trump's swamp.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:53 pm

Texas will MAGA. I support "academic freedom," but I am glad that, with its stringent and tightly enforced curriculum standards and testing regime, Texas will limit academic freedom to teaching of creationism. It would be really horrible - anarchy practically - to have academic freedom on settled matters like the 2nd Amendment, Obama's takeover of Texas during Jade Helm, the Alamo, untrammeled free enterprise and limited government, abortion and Planned Parenthood, American and Texan heroes, etc. Go Texas, go America!

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Do any Holocaust deniers still post here regularly?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:49 pm

Texans are gonna be as smart as this lady.

A Tennessee woman who backs President Donald Trump credits God and the Republican health care bill — which hasn’t been voted into law — for her family’s dramatically lower insurance costs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 46eb74d42a wrote:
“I think it was just because of the tax credit,” said McComic, 52, a former first-grade teacher ...

The price change was actually thanks to a subsidy made possible by former president Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act...not by the tax credits proposed by Republicans as part of the health-care bill still being considered by Congress.

...she’s not worried about her disability benefits changing or her 3-year-old granddaughter getting kicked off Medicaid or her 33-year-old son’s premiums going up.

“So far, everything’s been positive, from what I can tell,” she said, waiting for Trump’s rally here to begin Wednesday night. “I just hope that more and more people and children get covered under this new health-care plan.”

And more funny stuff about stuff that "doesn't exist", Trump: “global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing noncompetitive.”

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:53 pm

Jesus wept.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:01 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:They only have to block, expose and defeat him more. He'll complain, whine and blame, but his moral bankruptcy will be filed on public record and he'll walk away - as usual...

Seth Meyers can be really funny. My wife adores him. She even forgives him his midwestern roots. :)

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:10 pm

...I might have been right on the money* - twice. Good lard, I hope so... :-P

* pun intended

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:15 pm

Jeffk 1970
Persistent Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:26 pm

I can't see it. I don't think his ego will allow it.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

I can't see it. I don't think his ego will allow it.

I read that and thought that Feinstein meant that he was going to commit impeachable offenses, different to the article's author's take. I didn't read where she hinted at a resignation.

That said, I agree with you about his ego - and would add something more than ego, but tied up with his ego, I think he wants to impose his vision, such as it is, on the country. I don't agree with Lawrence O'Donnell and others who've seen this as a lark for Trump, a lark that got out of hand. I think Trump is deadly serious and continuing to underestimate him is worse than a mistake, it's irresponsible.

I have nothing against the Dems looking for violations of the constitution but it would be better if they'd work on developing new leadership and ideas. And trying to lead.

Same goes for Rachel Maddow and her nightly lecture on Trump as Manchurian candidate.

What if they can't prove these sorts of allegations? They need a positive, attractive and compelling program. This - counting on Trump to self-implode - is really how Hillary Clinton lost, same approach.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:05 pm

I think those hopes - however false they might be - are based on his egos inability to tolerate failure. Or rather, accepting responsibility for said failure. We're counting on His Weakness when the only way out is the disappearing act.

(Not that he'd go quietly, but truly shouldering responsibility just doesn't seem his thing...)

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Jeff_36 wrote:Jeff_36 cannot empathize enough that the ideology of Bannon and the ideology of Ryan are incomparable on trade, regulations, . . . outsourcing of labor, and the role of the state in the market.

Trying to say that there is common ground for the two is like saying that Milton Freidman would find common ground with Jean Marie Le Pen. It is a self-refuting argument.

One of the two will triumph at the expense of the other. It is inevitable, they are on a collision course.

"THAT WAS FAST Why Most Conservative Free-Traders Have Thrown in the Towel: It would have seemed astonishing a year ago, but inside the conservative movement and the GOP, Trump has won on trade, leaving the free-traders to rationalize away."

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:08 pm

Did he...
...just salute her?

Upton_O_Goode
Regular Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:12 pm

This little St. Patrick's Day speech from the Irish PM, spoken while standing five feet away from DJT:

It’s fitting that we get together here each year to celebrate St. Patrick and his legacy. He too, of course, was an immigrant.

And though he is, of course, the patron saint of Ireland, for many people around the globe he’s also the symbol of, indeed the patron of immigrants.

Here in America, in your great country, 35 million people claim Irish heritage, and the Irish have contributed to the economic, social and political of cultural life of this great country for the last 200 years.

The Irish came to America because they were deprived of liberty, deprived of opportunity, of safety — of even food itself, and four decades before Lady Liberty lifted her lamp, we were the wretched refuse on the teeming shore.

We believed in the shelter of America, in the compassion of America, in the opportunity of America, we came and we became Americans.

We lived the words of John F. Kennedy, long before he uttered them. We asked not what America could do for us, but what we could do for America — and we still do.

He might have added that back in those days, Irish were despised even more than Muslims are now. That should give us hope. It took over a century for the first Irish-American to get elected President, and we've already had a Muslim President from Kenya who got elected twice.

And we'll just pass over in respectful silence the fact that St. Patrick was a native of that OTHER British Isle. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Upton_O_Goode
Regular Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Xcalibur wrote:"Cuts to women's healthcare? Our plan increases funding for pelvic exams."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Indeed yes. Trump believes so strongly in the importance of pelvic exams that he's been personally giving them FREE and UNSOLICITED to women for years. (Sorry, all. I know you got the joke, but I couldn't resist elaborating it.)

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:05 pm

There's this recent polling that shows something like only 25% of young voters agreeing that it is important to them to live in a democracy. On MSNBC, for example, this data point has become a shorthand explanation for Trump's victory and the reason for hand-wringing about our future. Supposedly, young voters accept of authoritarianism, even Putinism, and, presto, change-o, we get Trump. Which is utter rubbish.

For one thing, the age group that had the lowest Trump vote - and highest Clinton %, was, er, these young voters, supposedly numb to the dangers of would-be autocrats like Trump.

CNN exit polling:
18-29 year olds: 55% Clinton, 36% Trump
30-44 year olds: 51% Clinton, 41%
45-64 year olds: 44% Clinton, 53% Trump
65 and up: 45% Clinton, 52% Trump

A recent GenForward poll underscores what young people think of Trump. Of the 18-30 year old respondents:

1) 57% say that Trump’s presidency is illegitimate
2) 22% approve of his job performance in the White House
3) about 80% disagree with Trump's policy prescriptions
4) about 70% are negative about his demeanor

The kids are all right, it is my generation, the wild, anti-Establishment '60s kids grown up - "I got mine, {!#%@} you all" - that seems to be the problem.

Return to “Holocaust Denial”