It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:24 pm

Balmoral95 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:Some Democrat in Congress needs to step up and start submitting DACA bills, if nothing else to embarrass Ryan.

Trump will most likely demand that any DACA legislation include Wall funding and other security/deportation provisions. There go the Dems.

Um, Jeff, they did-ish, 16 years ago.... bi-partisan effort of Durbin and Hatch:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DREAM_Act

ETA: Graham has urged passage of this as recently as the last week, fwiw.

I know. There might be some urgency now about this but, I'm coming to the conclusion that this whole thing is DOA.

Trumplings will get what they want, Trump can stand back and wash his (tiny) hands of all this and Sessions will secretly do his happy dance in his office.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:29 pm

Jeff_36 wrote:Sorry, I don't really follow Kansas politics and I was unaware that he was given an appointment by Trump. This is a baltent case ot Trump essentially hiring a grand inquisitor to "investigate" the non-existent voter fraud in the country.

This commission isn't part of Kansas politics, to be clear, but a federal commission chaired by Pence with Kobach running it day to day. Here is the latest news on its modus operandi: "Lawyers’ Group: Sketchy Election Panel Using Personal Email For Official Biz."

Lock'em up.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:35 pm

From Clinton's memoir:

"I think it's fair to say that I didn't realize how quickly the ground was shifting under all our feet," she writes. "I was running a traditional presidential campaign with carefully thought-out policies and painstakingly built coalitions, while Trump was running a reality TV show that expertly and relentlessly stoked Americans' anger and resentment."

Ayup.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/06/politics/hillary-clinton-what-happened/index.html

I have no interest in her book.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:38 pm

If she missed this fundamental point - after nearly losing to Bernie - she's more arrogant and useless than even I imagined.

From the advance notes (still whining about Sanders - "paving the way for Trump’s 'Crooked Hillary' campaign. I don’t know if that bothered Bernie or not") and reviews, I have to agree with you. I actually trust very little she says - her reflections on the campaign included.
"World peace is certainly an ideal worth striving for; in Hitler's opinion it will be realizable only when one power, the racially best one, has attained complete and uncontested supremacy. That can then provide a sort of world police, seeing to it at the same time that the most valuable race is guaranteed the necessary living space. And if no other way is open to them, the lower races will have to restrict themselves accordingly."

- Rudolf Hess, letter, 1927

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: O_I_Lovett

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:47 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Don't know about epilepsy and tuberculosis, but he seems to be fulfilling most, if not all, of the other requirements of this chart.

(Provided alongside other yuckies by Rachel.)

I'm a bit slow, as has been obvious from other posts, I'm sure. What is the "quota"? Are defect-quotas laid down for each group, so that the bars on the chart show whether that group fulfills or overfullfills or underfulfills its quota? Or is the quota the same for all groups? And how come there are no bars for Mexican-Navaho mixtures or African-Cuban, or....? Gee, who knew eugenics was so complicated?

(I refrain from asking how the actual numbers represented by each bar were arrived at, how people were assigned to one group or another before or after being counted and how the diagnoses were made. That's something best left to experts like Trump, who is a smart guy.)
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:49 pm

Josh Marhsall on Trump's conflicting messages and actions on DACA: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/an- ... umps-flail
"World peace is certainly an ideal worth striving for; in Hitler's opinion it will be realizable only when one power, the racially best one, has attained complete and uncontested supremacy. That can then provide a sort of world police, seeing to it at the same time that the most valuable race is guaranteed the necessary living space. And if no other way is open to them, the lower races will have to restrict themselves accordingly."

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:05 pm

Putin sneers at American ignorance of geography.

Vladimir Putin wrote:Трудно вести диалог с людьми, которые путают Австрию с Австралией. С этим уже ничего не поделаешь. Такой уровень, видимо, политической культуры определенной части американского истэблишмента.

(It's difficult to carry on a dialogue with people who confuse Austria with Australia. There's nothing you can do about that. That appears to be the level of political culture in a certain portion of the American establishment.)

The article, in a news program called "дождь" (rain), pointed out that CNN made this confusion in 2016, NBC did it in 2012, and GW Bush did it in 2007.

Reminds me that Arthur Schlesinger was removed from public schools when he came home and reported to his mother what he had learned from his teacher: People from Albania are called Albinos because of their white hair and pink skin.
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:25 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Putin sneers at American ignorance of geography.

Vladimir Putin wrote:Трудно вести диалог с людьми, которые путают Австрию с Австралией. С этим уже ничего не поделаешь. Такой уровень, видимо, политической культуры определенной части американского истэблишмента.

(It's difficult to carry on a dialogue with people who confuse Austria with Australia. There's nothing you can do about that. That appears to be the level of political culture in a certain portion of the American establishment.)

FSS Americans confuse Pennsylvania and Philadelphia: I will email Putin on the number of times I've told people I am from Pennsylvania and they in turn asked me about my life in Philadelphia . . .

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:31 pm

Well........................ Putin thinks the Ukraine is in Russia.............................
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:49 pm

DJT, today: “We have many, many things that are on the plate. Hopefully, we can solve them in a rational way. And maybe we will be able to.”

Why start now?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:55 pm

It would be nice if he would start now.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Ooh, he lernt a nu word - 'rational'. I wonder who diddit?
Hi, Io the lurker.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:45 pm

FSS Americans confuse Pennsylvania and Philadelphia: I will email Putin on the number of times I've told people I am from Pennsylvania and they in turn asked me about my life in Philadelphia . . .

But at least Trump doesn't believe people from Albania are called Albinos. He's been to Albania and knows perfectly well that it's the capital of New York.

I always wonder if it's a coincidence that the Russian word for confuse is "putat'". Probably not, as the root "put-" means path or way, as in mlechnyi put' (Milky Way). And, of course "sputnik" (fellow traveler).
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:46 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:But at least Trump doesn't believe people from Albania are called Albinos. He's been to Albania and knows perfectly well that it's the capital of New York.

LOL

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:30 pm

Huh?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59b02a27e4b0b5e53103120b

Now Trump is siding with Democrats?????

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Huh?

LOL he is really pissed at McConnell and Ryan.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:13 pm

LOL he is really pissed at McConnell and Ryan.

Trump must wake up every morning thinking about the next dumpster fire he wants to light.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:25 pm

The article, in a news program called "дождь" (rain), pointed out that CNN made this confusion in 2016, NBC did it in 2012, and GW Bush did it in 2007.

Reminds me that Arthur Schlesinger was removed from public schools when he came home and reported to his mother what he had learned from his teacher: People from Albania are called Albinos because of their white hair and pink skin.

LOL... Reminds me - we were taught that we were the best people on earth - because our skin color is `golden`.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:17 pm

TJrandom wrote:LOL... Reminds me - we were taught that we were the best people on earth - because our skin color is `golden`.

Vote for the one who's “REPUBLICAN & SMART, WHITE, TRADITIONAL.”

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:29 pm

I see a corrupt bargain in the background here. McConnell will offer DACA in exchange for the Wall. What will the Democrats do then?

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:37 pm

I can't keep my mind off the Korean problem. It really looks like we have no option at present but to let the Koreans bluster and keep on building their WMDs, since the sanctions can't be strengthened to any degree. We can then only hope that our defenses are good enough to foil any first strike they attempt. Whether we succeed or not, the attempt will still result in the US turning the whole place into a waste land. North Korea has two choices: to go on impoverishing itself in a futile attempt to get these weapons that it can't use; or to use them and bring destruction on its head. (It could, of course, become reasonable, but that is not expected, any more than one expects Trump to become reasonable.)

As far as the "blame game" goes, though, let us never forget that there was a promise of solving the problem way back in 1994, one that the Republicans sabotaged the same way they are sabotaging Obamacare today.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:57 pm

It appears there are still a few people in Russia willing to speak out against Putin, in particular the writer Viktor Shenderovich in this TV interview. The headline says that "It won't be Putin with his 86% [approval rating] who goes down. The ones who supported him will pay dearly for their support." He calls Putin a "political catastrophe." These days, in Moscow, saying things like that can be very bad for your health. I don't know how he and the show (called "The Straight Line") get away with this. He's talking about the arrest of a movie director (Kirill Serebrennikov) a few days ago, accused of embezzling 68 million rubles. The accusation, he says, is nonsense, and the arrest is just "a pre-election slap in the face" at any independent artists and intellectuals. He speculates that Russia is going the way Cuba went under Castro (whatever that means?).

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:I can't keep my mind off the Korean problem. It really looks like we have no option at present but to let the Koreans bluster and keep on building their WMDs, since the sanctions can't be strengthened to any degree.

Of course we have options. "Nothing is off the table." I do note Trumps General that said "we're had" or whatever defeatist thing he said. Oh.........if we could only tell the future: which nut case will cause the World, or the USA, the most problems?

Serious talks do seem in order. if China, Japan, SK...think we don't have any options.... then should USA go along??? I would find that hard to disagree with, the Widsom of the Crowd sort of acknowledgement. BUT....we fall prey all too often to the FALSE choices offered up by either/or lack of thinking. Why not shoot down all missiles on launch? its a good compromise action...and a test of how "rational" and self interested in survival Ung is? That should give us a few months to figure out how to sink all ships carrying nukes?

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:38 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:

I see a corrupt bargain in the background here. McConnell will offer DACA in exchange for the Wall. What will the Democrats do then?

I can possibly see some concessions on strengthened border security but not on the wall.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:50 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...That should give us a few months to figure out how to sink all ships carrying nukes?

And surface all subs...
Hi, Io the lurker.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:53 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:I can't keep my mind off the Korean problem. It really looks like we have no option at present but to let the Koreans bluster and keep on building their WMDs, since the sanctions can't be strengthened to any degree. We can then only hope that our defenses are good enough to foil any first strike they attempt. Whether we succeed or not, the attempt will still result in the US turning the whole place into a waste land. North Korea has two choices: to go on impoverishing itself in a futile attempt to get these weapons that it can't use; or to use them and bring destruction on its head. (It could, of course, become reasonable, but that is not expected, any more than one expects Trump to become reasonable.)

I've thought about this as well.

I think NK will simply continue on their current course, building their weapon. They simply don't care about the cost.

The reality is that nuclear weapons are the ultimate exercise in futility, no one can use them without triggering ghastly circumstances that no one can control. It's why they've only been used once in war and in that case the US had an absolute monopoly. Anyone who risks using them now immediately loses control of events.

I can see terrorists using them but nation states? I don't think so, there is too much to lose. The moment NK uses their bomb they lose everything because China and Russia have to withdraw their protection. The US would be justified in retaliating.

Now, I can see NK using them for defensive purposes, say against a US invasion force. This would mean detonating on NK soil but that would not be their concern. The same with using them against a US naval task force after an attack on their soil.

Again, this is just my guess. Any nuclear attack by NK against the US, Japan or South Korea would mean the end for them and NK knows this. I think they would only use them as a last resort, not on a preemptive strike.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:57 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:

One real trouble is that they kicked the can down the road to December, when we get to do "debt ceiling" over again. But it is fun seeing Ryan, McConnell and the Tea Party with their collective knickers in a twist.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:58 pm

The US wouldn't even need to use nuclear weapons. Bombers, cruise missiles, etc would be enough, followed by a US invasion. Russia, Japan and China would understandably be concerned by the impact of NK being turned into a glowing parking lot, Russia and China may OK retaliation but only on a non-nuclear level.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:30 pm

Not that he can get them any lower, it seems, but he sure isn't helping raising their levels... more of the usual: Donny on taxes and nations.
Hi, Io the lurker.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:34 pm

:hmm: Has this been mentioned already? Trump shocks GOP by siding with Dems

ETA Oh yeah, Jeffk! I thought I'd seen something, lol.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:57 am

Healthcare "hero" McCain has thrown in with Trump on ACA repeal & replace, supporting Graham/Cassidy, which would dismantle ACA, turn healthcare over to the states, provide federal block-grant funding to the states, scrap most ACA mandates and protections, likely do away with Medicaid expansion, defund Planned Parenthood, and slash federal spending vs the status quo 16% over the next 2 years - and 33% by the mid-'20s.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:12 am

scrmbldggs wrote::hmm: Has this been mentioned already? Trump shocks GOP by siding with Dems

It just shows what I've said all along, Trump has no loyalty to a party.

Balmoral95
Regular Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:32 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote::hmm: Has this been mentioned already? Trump shocks GOP by siding with Dems

Maybe the only person on the planet dumb enough to think he was was Ryan. To echo StatMech, I certainly don't mind Trump splattering Ryan and McC with shite.

Balmoral95
Regular Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:33 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

Maybe the only person on the planet dumb enough to think he was was Ryan. To echo StatMech, I certainly don't mind Trump splattering Ryan and McC with shite.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:36 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Healthcare "hero" McCain has thrown in with Trump on ACA repeal & replace, supporting Graham/Cassidy, which would dismantle ACA, turn healthcare over to the states, provide federal block-grant funding to the states, scrap most ACA mandates and protections, likely do away with Medicaid expansion, defund Planned Parenthood, and slash federal spending vs the status quo 16% over the next 2 years - and 33% by the mid-'20s.

The sick and elderly will suffer. The insurance companies will continue to make out like bandits. It will be interesting to see how the bill is rated for loss of coverage and rates.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:24 am

He knows he'll need the money soon. There's a hurricane headed for Mar-a-Moneypit!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:46 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

He's switched sides officially multiple times throughout the years and now he might just be wanting to get on the good side of the bigger slice of the American pie. His supporter's numbers won't grow. What crawled out of the woodwork following his call to join the few already out in the open seems to be the existent maximum.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster
Location: At the hundredth meridian, where the great plains begin

Postby Jeff_36 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:04 am

I am keenly following the updates from the disaster that is enveloping Florida and the American south tonight. Bradenton, Saratota, and Sanabel are names that ring loud in my memory. I hope everyone there will be alright.

Balmoral95
Regular Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:28 am

Jeff_36 wrote:I am keenly following the updates from the disaster that is enveloping Florida and the American south tonight. Bradenton, Saratota, and Sanabel are names that ring loud in my memory. I hope everyone there will be alright.

Um, they're on the Gulf coast ... Everything I've heard predicts a more easterly turn.

Return to “Holocaust Denial”