It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:02 pm

Trump's PR machine is calling its boxed lunch substitute for food stamps a federal “Blue Apron-type program.” I was arsed to find out about "Blue Apron"; I found out that its meals start at $10/each (compared to SNAP at $1.37) - Blue Apron allows consumers to choose what goes into the kits they purchase and provides all the ingredients needed to make the meal - Blue Apron markets its product as high-end/gourmet meals - but more than 1/3 the cost is in shipping and logistics.

Blue Apron stock is edging toward worthless (projected to be $17/share before the IPO, it opened at around $7 last summer and is now less than $3.50), as the company struggles with implementation realities and costs: Grub Street noted back in August:
Well, Blue Apron’s stock price is officially now one for the record books. Anyone who watched its train wreck of a Wall Street debut already can guess where this is going: Yesterday, the meal-kit company released its inaugural earnings report, arming traders with the numbers on last quarter’s business performance. The report contained bad news (Blue Apron lost another 9 percent of its customers from March to the end of June), worse news (costs rose 86 percent, to $66 million), and worst-of-all news (executives warned “the second half” of 2017 will be even bleaker).

Like with Perdue's SNAP boxes, whenever I take the bus, I like to call it an "Aston Martin type transportation solution."

Or you could plan a $200bn infrastructure program, call it $1tn - then decide, based on whatever, to make it $1.5tn. Why not?
You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:17 pm

According to FBI director Wray, the FBI's background check on Rob Porter was submitted to the WH four times:

March: partial report
July: completed report
November: report on requested "follow-up information"
February: after file closed out, additional information received and passed on to White House

First two during Priebus' watch, second two under Kelly.

Recall that the White House has been stating that Porter remained on the job because the FBI hadn't finished its investigation: the FBI work “had not been completed yet. It was still in the investigative process and had yet to be adjudicated. So prior to an adjudication, the White House is not going to step into the middle of a process and short circuit it.”

Another outright lie, it seems. Unless Wray is lying. Waddya think?

Someone at TPM commented on Wray's testimony today:
Wray: "We did everything but stand on our heads and spit out nickels while waving American flags coming out of our asses and we STILL couldn't get the {!#%@}' attention!"
You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:19 pm

whoopsie, McConnell's immigration debate promise came with some fine print . . . - nice to know that he and Schumer get on so well, that makes it all better

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:25 pm

Somehow I’m not surprised. I hope that the Democrats learned a valuable lesson in trusting that deceptive {!#%@} of a turtle.
“Today I saw one of those places, saw it in all of its horror, all its filth, all its death.”
Soldier entering the Ohrdruf Concentration Camp.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:42 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Trump's PR machine is calling its boxed lunch substitute for food stamps a federal “Blue Apron-type program.” I was arsed to find out about "Blue Apron"; I found out that its meals start at $10/each (compared to SNAP at $1.37) - Blue Apron allows consumers to choose what goes into the kits they purchase and provides all the ingredients needed to make the meal - Blue Apron markets its product as high-end/gourmet meals - but more than 1/3 the cost is in shipping and logistics.

Funny thing is, my wife and I tried it. The meals are pretty good.

It’s an interesting idea and commodities already exist. I don’t know much about them, in my state my agency administers the program. Essentially the government purchases surpluses and distributes food to schools and other places like state nursing homes. Some of the tribes use tribal commodities, they are used in lieu of the SNAP program. I only worked SNAP and I only studied the commodity program when I looked into working as an inspector for them.

I guarantee that places like Wal-Mart and Costco will lobby hard against this one, a lot of their revenue comes from SNAP recipients using their SNAP benefits in their stores. This represents a massive loss of revenue for them. Wal-Mart lobbied and won a change in the program a few years back, SNAP benefits use to issue on the 1st of every month now they issue on the 1st, 5th and 10th. Why? Because it used to deplete their inventory on the 1st and leave the stores high and dry for the rest of the month.
“Today I saw one of those places, saw it in all of its horror, all its filth, all its death.”

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:45 pm

I’m not sure how the administration thinks the above will cut down on fraud.....people will still figure out ways.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Hywel Rudy Day

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:According to FBI director Wray, the FBI's background check on Rob Porter was submitted to the WH four times:

March: partial report
July: completed report
November: report on requested "follow-up information"
February: after file closed out, additional information received and passed on to White House

First two during Priebus' watch, second two under Kelly.

Recall that the White House has been stating that Porter remained on the job because the FBI hadn't finished its investigation: the FBI work “had not been completed yet. It was still in the investigative process and had yet to be adjudicated. So prior to an adjudication, the White House is not going to step into the middle of a process and short circuit it.”

Another outright lie, it seems. Unless Wray is lying. Waddya think?

Someone at TPM commented on Wray's testimony today:
Wray: "We did everything but stand on our heads and spit out nickels while waving American flags coming out of our asses and we STILL couldn't get the {!#%@}' attention!"

I think in Hickabee's mind (and Trump's and Kelly's), the investigation was incomplete because it hadn't yet reached the conclusion that they wanted. They had to go back and do it over and over again, until they got it right. (Oops! They never did get it right.)
"When you are studying any matter, or considering any philosophy, ask yourself only what are the facts and what is the truth that the facts bear out. Never let yourself be diverted, either by what you wish to believe, or by what you think would have beneficent social effects if it were believed. But look only, and solely, at what are the facts."

Bertrand Russell, Advice to Future Generations

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Hywel Rudy Day

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Balmoral95 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:The Guardian on Monday's markets: "Financial markets are braced for more volatility this week amid predictions from the world’s biggest hedge fund that a 'big shakeout' is coming," with one analyst noting that "what started as systematic funds selling out of equity and futures positions . . . has morphed into something far more broad-based incorporating many other market participants."

I figure the thing lost sanity at 15K-17K.... (and that's generous)... Be interesting how that genius' prediction plays out.

I freaked out back in the year 2000, as the DJIA approached 10,000 and took all my money out of CREF and put it in TIAA. I've never been sorry I did that. Fifteen years after retirement, my TIAA account is still higher than it was the day I retired. I thought the DJIA was at least twice what it should be. So, now I'm thinking the sky's the limit here, until we get our wings melted in the sun. (The Icarus Syndrome.) But I'm not going back in at my advanced age. What would I do with more money if I had it?
"When you are studying any matter, or considering any philosophy, ask yourself only what are the facts and what is the truth that the facts bear out. Never let yourself be diverted, either by what you wish to believe, or by what you think would have beneficent social effects if it were believed. But look only, and solely, at what are the facts."

Bertrand Russell, Advice to Future Generations

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:12 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

Somehow I’m not surprised. I hope that the Democrats learned a valuable lesson in trusting that deceptive {!#%@} of a turtle.

:oldman:

Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

If they hadn't learned it by last month, they will never learn it.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:I’m not sure how the administration thinks the above will cut down on fraud.....people will still figure out ways.

What if I eat kosher? Have a special diet for a medical condition? Etc.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:I’m not sure how the administration thinks the above will cut down on fraud.....people will still figure out ways.

What if I eat kosher? Have a special diet for a medical condition? Etc.

That is a problem.....if the assumption is you can standardize the “box” then you run the risk of inadvertently triggering allergies. I doubt anyone in this administration gives a damn about offending Muslims, Jews or anyone else with a religious objection to different types of foods. Or a requirement limiting the types of foods they can eat, like vegans.

All of our offices either have or have contacts with organizations that carry food boxes. We give them to people who don’t qualify for emergency SNAP benefits but need access to something while we certify them. Or to people who don’t qualify to receive SNAP benefits.

The best way is to allow people the choice to purchase the foods they need. I’ve seen various ideas about limiting certain items like soft drinks or sweets. You can now use SNAP and WIC benefits to purchase fruits and vegetables, I think that was a big improvement.

Sorry, rambling a bit..... :D. I’m under the weather so guess what I took to help out my sinuses. :lol:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:21 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:22 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:The best way is to allow people the choice to purchase the foods they need.

Yup. Too easy for the Trumpsters. Or decent.

Bena . . . never miiiiiind :)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:34 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:What are the chances Republicans in the House and Senate will balk at cutting Medicare?

I think they want to cut it - hasn't that been part of their mantra since it was first passed and enshrined in countless Ryan plans and proposals of their think tanks? I take them at their word . . . but it is an election year. So they might could hold off until next year, assuming they keep control of Congress in the midterms, then hit it hard.

Paul Waldman at WaPo disagrees with me:
Republicans are in a precarious political position. President Trump is deeply unpopular. Democrats keep winning special and off-year elections. And all indications are that there’s a Democratic wave coming in November.

But if you think that’s going to make them more careful about antagonizing the public with cuts to social programs, you couldn’t be more wrong. Just the opposite may be happening. Confronted with the possibility of losing power, they seem to be readying an all-out assault on any federal program that actually tries to help vulnerable people before it’s too late.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pl ... 99be92e32d

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:45 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:What are the chances Republicans in the House and Senate will balk at cutting Medicare?

I think they want to cut it - hasn't that been part of their mantra since it was first passed and enshrined in countless Ryan plans and proposals of their think tanks? I take them at their word . . . but it is an election year. So they might could hold off until next year, assuming they keep control of Congress in the midterms, then hit it hard.

Paul Waldman at WaPo disagrees with me:
Republicans are in a precarious political position. President Trump is deeply unpopular. Democrats keep winning special and off-year elections. And all indications are that there’s a Democratic wave coming in November.

But if you think that’s going to make them more careful about antagonizing the public with cuts to social programs, you couldn’t be more wrong. Just the opposite may be happening. Confronted with the possibility of losing power, they seem to be readying an all-out assault on any federal program that actually tries to help vulnerable people before it’s too late.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pl ... 99be92e32d

I think waiting makes more sense, why commit political suicide? But, if they think it’s probable that they are going to lose their majority or even lose enough seats to make their majority meaningless, then I see how this makes sense. Why put off something you can do now if you believe you can’t do it later?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:46 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:48 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:I think waiting makes more sense, why commit political suicide? But, if they think it’s probable that they are going to lose their majority or even lose enough seats to make their majority meaningless, then I see how this makes sense. Why put off something you can do now if you believe you can’t do it later?

What's weird is that Waldman writes in the next breath that this is a fight the Democrats will welcome, now. I agree with you, but was struck by Waldman's vehemently differing thoughts.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:I think waiting makes more sense, why commit political suicide? But, if they think it’s probable that they are going to lose their majority or even lose enough seats to make their majority meaningless, then I see how this makes sense. Why put off something you can do now if you believe you can’t do it later?

What's weird is that Waldman writes in the next breath that this is a fight the Democrats will welcome, now. I agree with you, but was struck by Waldman's vehemently differing thoughts.

From your article:

And so, the “starve the beast” strategy Republicans have used since Ronald Reagan’s time is being renewed yet again. It goes like this: First, you pass a huge tax cut (going mostly to the wealthy and corporations). Then, when that causes the deficit to increase, you use that increase to argue that we have no choice but to institute savage cuts to social programs.

Exactly. I think we all saw that. “We don’t have the money, now we need to cut something. It can’t be the military, after all, that’s what #MAGA. So, there goes the safety net.”

The idea is to drive people out of programs such as Medicaid by forcing them to overcome as many bureaucratic hurdles as possible, which both discourages eligible people from signing up in the first place, then provides a justification for yanking away their coverage. It can’t be said strongly enough: The difficulty of navigating these bureaucratic requirements, with all their forms and notifications and deadlines, is exactly the point.

We did this in my state with the TANF program. Now, applicants are required to drug test before they qualify, a positive test requires a child welfare referral. Imagine the fear of a single parent with children trying to apply but who smokes pot on occasion.....

It doesn’t necessarily mean that the court will remove the child or children but that’s enough to prevent a lot of people from applying.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:57 pm

As McConnell jams the Senate on immigration and Daca, "A federal judge in New York has ruled President Donald Trump’s administration didn’t offer “legally adequate reasons” for ending a program that spared many immigrants from deportation if they were brought to the U.S. as children."

The judge, despite finding that Trump's action in terminating Daca was "arbitrary, capricious, an abuse of discretion, or otherwise not in accordance with law," did not extend Daca. Those in the program must, for now, continue to be protected.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:04 pm

How's infrastructure week going for everyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bksZ4Qu18kc

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:08 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:As McConnell jams the Senate on immigration and Daca, "A federal judge in New York has ruled President Donald Trump’s administration didn’t offer “legally adequate reasons” for ending a program that spared many immigrants from deportation if they were brought to the U.S. as children."

The judge, despite finding that Trump's action in terminating Daca was "arbitrary, capricious, an abuse of discretion, or otherwise not in accordance with law," did not extend Daca. Those in the program must, for now, continue to be protected.

and a very telling find by TPM related to this and Trump's tweets, which {!#%@} him again: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/prime-bet ... wn-lawyers

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:07 am

^That link allows access only to members of TPM Prime.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:09 am

When Sen. Jack Reed asked FBI director Wray if the president had directed him and the agency to take "specific actions to confront and blunt ongoing Russian influence activities" (and which they are), the answer was "not as specifically directed by the president"...

ETA “The doomsday machine in Dr. Strangelove didn’t work because the Russians hadn’t told us about it.”

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 am

scrmbldggs wrote:^That link allows access only to members of TPM Prime.

crap, I must be one of those! LOL

the court cited a Trump tweet - the one saying that if Congress doesn't fix DACA by 5 March, Trump will ("If they can't, I will revisit this issue!") - to pit Trump against Sessions, whose argument in favor of Trump's shutting DACA down was that it came about via an unconstitutional exercise of (Obama's) presidential power . . .

thus: if Trump can fix it, then he believes that the president had the constitutional power all along (“is not clear how the President would ‘revisit’ the decision to rescind the DACA program if the DACA program were, as the Attorney General has stated, ‘an unconstitutional exercise of authority by the Executive Branch'”)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:44 am

scrmbldggs wrote:When Sen. Jack Reed asked FBI director Wray if the president had directed him and the agency to take "specific actions to confront and blunt ongoing Russian influence activities" (and which they are), the answer was "not as specifically directed by the president"...

ETA “The doomsday machine in Dr. Strangelove didn’t work because the Russians hadn’t told us about it.”

Brutal exchange. Ugly. Today was a bad day for Trump - on several fronts: Wray's testimony, the entire Porter meltdown, Moo-Moo Sanders' appalling gaslighting performance, Coates' testimony on ongoing Russian election hacking, bad ink on the budget and infrastructure, this 2nd court decision against Trump's DACA action. We need more such days. Day after day.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:11 am

And the reason Dumpy won't (can't) deal with the threat of further meddling is because it's devastating to the little heart of the little snowflake to think about the situation and the possibility his win wasn't quite legitimate.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:36 am

Sounds like Risch is welcoming the Russian overlords...

Edit: Fixed timing of link.
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:48 am

Trump approval is up in Florida but "Dems flip seat in Florida state special election"

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:01 am

"Not only did Democratic women really come out, the fact that so many Republicans and independents voted for Good says to me that there is a good chunk of these swing voters who are just frustrated by the direction of the administration, and sent the only message they could," Schale said.
:twisted:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:03 am

Courting some of the good people...

The National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) is giving people the opportunity to win a stay at the Trump Winery in Charlottesville, Va.

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:11 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Trump approval is up in Florida but "Dems flip seat in Florida state special election"

Can't stand the FLA electorate..... too much an unpredictable miasma of judeo-bolsheviki, red neck nazi twats, cuban emigres and facking old people.

Although it has one of the most advatageous state inheritance tax rates in the union: zero.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:14 am

Damn Jewish Bolsheviks.

Speaking of which, rumors are that Gary Cohn will be replacing Kelly soon. White House in chaos. Knives out for Kelly. His enemies (those who throttled and kept away from Trump etc?) dishing to reporters.

But what do they do about the lack of security clearances for senior staff? Did I just say "Jared"???

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:38 am

So the ideal here is only Der Fuhrer and Keitel Kelley are cleared?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:46 am

Kelly would get booted out the door and Der Führer would be untouched. He's a VSG and has assembled an administration of the best people, ya know.

WaPo:
Inside the West Wing, a growing number of aides blamed Trump’s second White House chief of staff, John F. Kelly, for the bungled handling of the allegations against Porter. Trump in recent days has begun musing about possible replacements, according to people with knowledge of the conversations. . . . Kelly does not enjoy the confidence of an increasing number of his subordinates, some of whom said they believe that the retired four-star Marine Corps general has misled them. .

Kelly is “a big fat liar,” said one White House official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to share a candid opinion. “To put it in terms the general would understand, his handling of the Porter scandal amounts to dereliction of duty.”

Good times. Throw the bums out.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:49 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Damn Jewish Bolsheviks.

Speaking of which, rumors are that Gary Cohn will be replacing Kelly soon. White House in chaos. Knives out for Kelly. His enemies (those who throttled and kept away from Trump etc?) dishing to reporters.

But what do they do about the lack of security clearances for senior staff? Did I just say "Jared"???

Dumpy/they will be ignoring it and saying "Make me." (When did they actually start the security clearance processes? After the inauguration? And I bet they told Porter they'd handle the issue for him - until his little problem became public. He must have been convinced it would never come out...)
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:51 am

the Stormy payoff: "Michael D. Cohen, President Trump’s longtime personal lawyer, said on Tuesday that he paid $130,000 out of his own pocket to a pornographic-film actress who had once claimed to have had an affair with Mr. Trump." Will not answer further questions.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:53 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:Damn Jewish Bolsheviks.

Dumpy/they will be ignoring it and saying "Make me." (And I bet they told Porter they'd handle the issue for him - until his little problem became public. He must have been convinced it would never come out...)

Listening to these idiots on TV tonight, like Philip Rucker, go one about how Porter misled Kelly and the others. :lol: :lol: :lol: You are 100% right IMO: what the meetings were about was how to handle the situation, er, the facts, without damage to Porter.

What the hell is that grey line?
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:55 am

Um, there was a little edit. :blush:

And Cohen paid off Stormy? Wow, that's a quite hefty campaign contribution. ;)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:03 am

I can't get rid of the bastard.

Return to “Holocaust Denial”