Finnish SS-Men and the massacres of Jewish civilians

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Reaktori

Finnish SS-Men and the massacres of Jewish civilians

Postby Reaktori » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:54 pm

In late 2017, Finnish historian André Svanström uncovered previously unknown material on the exploits of Finnish SS-men who fought with the SS-Wiking division in the Southern parts of the USSR. In a letter by SS-Unterscharfuhrer Olavi Karpalo, in which Karpalo expresses frustration at being posted to a supply company (Technischer Dienst / Werkstatt-Kompanie), he also refers to executions of Jewish civilians in which he had apparently taken part in: "- – juutalaisten teloittamiseen riittää kehnompikin ampumataito kuin omaamamme" ("less skill in shooting is enough for executing Jews than the skill we possess"). Karpalo also continued as follows: ”Mitähän pahaa me olemme tehneet, kun meiltä on riistetty se ilo minkä ryssän ilmaantuminen mauserkiväärin jyvälle aiheuttaa.” ("I wonder what we have done to deserve
having the joy of a russkie appearing in our mauser-rifles sight being taken away from us.")

As a result of this finding, the Finnish Government has started investigating the archives for more possible evidence connecting Finnish SS-Men to massacres 1941-42.

Svanströms original article (in Finnish): http://www.skhs.fi/suomalaiset-ss-miehe ... arikokset/

YLE story on the investigation that the Finnish government has launched on the matter (also in Finnish): https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-10232075

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: Finnish SS-Men and the massacres of Jewish civilians

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:25 pm

Thank you!!!!

BTW, I appreciate you bringing this information to the forum.

I know I read what you posted before or at least something similar. I think I read that in the “Holocaust in the Soviet Union” but I might be wrong.
When my son had his barmitzvah, and his wedding, there was no family whatsoever -that’s the way the second and third generation feel the Holocaust, they miss their family. My son hasn’t experienced a family life –having uncles, aunts, grandmothers, grandfathers. There is just that hole.
Edith Baneth
Savage Continent

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:27 pm

No, you specifically stated 2017. I’ll see if I can figure out where I’ve read something like that before....
When my son had his barmitzvah, and his wedding, there was no family whatsoever -that’s the way the second and third generation feel the Holocaust, they miss their family. My son hasn’t experienced a family life –having uncles, aunts, grandmothers, grandfathers. There is just that hole.
Edith Baneth
Savage Continent

Reaktori

Postby Reaktori » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:30 pm

I think it was previously known that members of the Wiking-division had committed war crimes, but the general notion, at least in Finland, was that the Finnish troops in the division were not guilty of any.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:31 pm

If I get a chance I’ll see if I can find that information for you. Stat Mech may know more than I do.
Edith Baneth
Savage Continent

Balsamo
Frequent Poster

Postby Balsamo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:14 am

Well, actions of the SS Wiking are quite known, don't they?
But thank you Reaktori for the links. (well i do not read that language)

I personally do not think that the behavior of a Waffen SS Division is influenced by the nationality of its members, at it was a Panzer division, it would also wrong to put a collective guilt over all the members. Divisions are composed of Regiments, Regiments of battalions, and battalions of companies, and companies of platoon. At each level there is a commander, more or less reliable to the SS cause. As for the nationality, there were Dutch, Flemish, Danish, Swedish, and indeed there was a Finnish battallion...which served if my memory is correct until 1943...
I will dig my notes about that.

Balsamo
Frequent Poster

Postby Balsamo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:29 am

Reaktori wrote:I think it was previously known that members of the Wiking-division had committed war crimes, but the general notion, at least in Finland, was that the Finnish troops in the division were not guilty of any.

Sorry i post before reading this..
As i said above is still valid, it is not about Finnish troops, under Finnish command, but about a few hundreds Finnish soldiers who served in the Waffen-SS.

EDIT:
Some reaction to the article you posted, at least the first
https://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Will-Holocaust-crimes-of-Finnish-volunteers-in-Ukraine-go-unpunished-536805

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:00 am

Yeah, I need to track down info on this. I know I read something recently.

However I am currently in Arkansas so it will have to wait.

:D
Edith Baneth
Savage Continent

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:05 am

If you pass by Hope, please give Bill Clinton's birthplace the finger for me.
You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:08 am

Return to “Holocaust Denial”