Randomness

If the red house has blue shutters and the green house has red shutters, what's this section for?
Transcix
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:38 pm

Randomness

Postby Transcix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:44 pm

RANDOMNESS
Deliberateness is the opposite of randomness.
Predetermination is the opposite of randomness.
Deliberateness is the opposite of predetermination.
What's random again?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7362
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Randomness

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:16 pm

Have you ever read a dictionary?

I recommend you and Lausten form a new sub-group for those who enjoy made up BS.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:38 pm
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer
Location: Norway

Re: Randomness

Postby OutOfBreath » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:20 pm

:scratch:
According to your premises: the opposite of "deliberateness" and "predetermination" (who between them are also opposites)

So either there are some weird geometric shape involved to describe the mutual relationships or the premises need some work.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Randomness

Postby Angel » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:29 am

How can deliberate and predetermination
be opposite when they r going in the
same direction?
I am predetermined to be deliberate .
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

User avatar
Monster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4857
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Randomness

Postby Monster » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:41 am

Transcix wrote:RANDOMNESS
Deliberateness is the opposite of randomness.
Predetermination is the opposite of randomness.
Deliberateness is the opposite of predetermination.
What's random again?

I think the word "opposite" is causing you some trouble there. Look at this for example.

Love is the opposite of hate.
Indifference is the opposite of both love and hate.

See? The word opposite isn't always accurate.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7506
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Randomness

Postby Poodle » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:50 am

Transcix wrote:RANDOMNESS
Deliberateness is the opposite of randomness.


No, it isn't.

Transcix wrote:Predetermination is the opposite of randomness.


No, it isn't.

Transcix wrote:Deliberateness is the opposite of predetermination.


No, it isn't.

Transcix wrote:What's random again?


Ah - I can help you there. Random is the opposite of non-random.

Transcix
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:38 pm

Re: Randomness

Postby Transcix » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:30 am

Show me that little gremlin that nudges the 1 or 0 one way or another just by chance out of the blue.. where's that little fellow who surreptitious nudges one atom to the right or one molecule to the left where it otherwise wouldn't and shouldn't have been the case.. where is that pesky fellow, eh?.. oh right, I'm sorry, you just did show him to me, since you know precisely what you mean when you employ the terms "random" and "non-random".. you must be a genius!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7362
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Randomness

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:53 am

We gotta get this guy and Lausten together in a room.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7506
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Randomness

Postby Poodle » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:21 am

Transcix wrote:Show me that little gremlin that nudges the 1 or 0 one way or another just by chance out of the blue.. where's that little fellow who surreptitious nudges one atom to the right or one molecule to the left where it otherwise wouldn't and shouldn't have been the case.. where is that pesky fellow, eh?.. oh right, I'm sorry, you just did show him to me, since you know precisely what you mean when you employ the terms "random" and "non-random".. you must be a genius!


I know the difference between random and non-random because they are well-defined concepts. The point I'm making is that you are attempting to redefine those concepts to fit your own purpose. Words are words - they have meaning. You are, of course, at liberty to invent your own terms and explain them, but to attempt to imbue existing words with definitions which are not generally agreed leads to confusion and misinterpretation.

You may have something interesting and original to say, Transcix, but you must express yourself in a manner which is not so reminiscent of the standard introduction for a book of woo.

Transcix
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:38 pm

Re: Randomness

Postby Transcix » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:14 pm

I was trying to find a sub-forum for lighthearted, practically poetic, musings.. what I initially posted in this sub-forum here just came to me and I thought I might share it.. damn, I guess I picked the wrong sub-forum.. I'm just getting to know this discussion forum.. I know woo all too well and will be the first one to speak out against it.. it's as if you people have traded in fun in exchange for cynicism.. :/

Transcix
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:38 pm

Re: Randomness

Postby Transcix » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:23 pm

On the topic of woo, by the way, why can't I write a book of woo to un-brainwash those who have succumbed to other books of woo?.. Why can't woo work both ways?.. the only difference is that I'll have truth on my side.. so I say anything that I need to say, in the best possible way of saying it, to get them to see the truth.. I don't think this is disingenuous, I don't think this is problematic, to the contrary presenting quite plainly a standard definition of truth to such people well then let's say they'll hear but they won't listen.. truth woo, as compared to rubbish woo, the difference is that truth can't be unseen once it's seen, but it has to be seen in the first place, it has to be listened to rather than heard.. so I'll use any adage or analogy or metaphor that I can to make them see it, and if this dissuades the potential skeptical reader, then perhaps that reader simply doesn't quite fully realize how to best navigate what's at stake in this insane marketplace of ideas.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7362
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Randomness

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:09 pm

Define woo.

Then..... truthful woo.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Randomness

Postby Angel » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:23 pm

Transcix wrote:On the topic of woo, by the way, why can't I write a book of woo to un-brainwash those who have succumbed to other books of woo?.. Why can't woo work both ways?.. the only difference is that I'll have truth on my side.. so I say anything that I need to say, in the best possible way of saying it, to get them to see the truth.. I don't think this is disingenuous, I don't think this is problematic, to the contrary presenting quite plainly a standard definition of truth to such people well then let's say they'll hear but they won't listen.. truth woo, as compared to rubbish woo, the difference is that truth can't be unseen once it's seen, but it has to be seen in the first place, it has to be listened to rather than heard.. so I'll use any adage or analogy or metaphor that I can to make them see it, and if this dissuades the potential skeptical reader, then perhaps that reader simply doesn't quite fully realize how to best navigate what's at stake in this insane marketplace of ideas.


Keep in mind ~ woo only has 3 letters so
make your words small so the people
who believe in woo will understand you. :-)

Telling the truth isn't easy.
Well ~ it's easy but you hurt
peoples feelings. That's no fun.
It's like~ why can't they just see the
truth for themselves ? Doh!
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Randomness

Postby Angel » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:26 pm

U can always go with Stephen's truthiness~
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truthiness ;)
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27349
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Wild animal
Location: Transcona

Re: Randomness

Postby Gord » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:35 pm

Transcix wrote:...why can't I write a book of woo to un-brainwash those who have succumbed to other books of woo?...

You can try, but your strategy might backfire or corrupt non-woo attempts by more serious individuals.

I'm against using falsehoods in an attempt to deceive people into thinking "rightly". That's why, for instance, I dislike the Zeitgeist film (just the first one; I couldn't bring myself to even watch the other two after suffering through the first part). By using false information, you open yourself up to criticism that will connect anything true you write with the falseness of the wooish parts, in line with that old idiom, "one bad apple spoils the whole barrel".
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Monster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4857
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Randomness

Postby Monster » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:21 pm

Transcix wrote:On the topic of woo, by the way, why can't I write a book of woo to un-brainwash those who have succumbed to other books of woo?.. Why can't woo work both ways?.. the only difference is that I'll have truth on my side.. so I say anything that I need to say, in the best possible way of saying it, to get them to see the truth.. I don't think this is disingenuous, I don't think this is problematic, to the contrary presenting quite plainly a standard definition of truth to such people well then let's say they'll hear but they won't listen.. truth woo, as compared to rubbish woo, the difference is that truth can't be unseen once it's seen, but it has to be seen in the first place, it has to be listened to rather than heard.. so I'll use any adage or analogy or metaphor that I can to make them see it, and if this dissuades the potential skeptical reader, then perhaps that reader simply doesn't quite fully realize how to best navigate what's at stake in this insane marketplace of ideas.

Did someone say you can't write such a book? I don't understand.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Transcix
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:38 pm

Re: Randomness

Postby Transcix » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:46 pm

Gord wrote:
Transcix wrote:...why can't I write a book of woo to un-brainwash those who have succumbed to other books of woo?...

You can try, but your strategy might backfire or corrupt non-woo attempts by more serious individuals.

I'm against using falsehoods in an attempt to deceive people into thinking "rightly". That's why, for instance, I dislike the Zeitgeist film (just the first one; I couldn't bring myself to even watch the other two after suffering through the first part). By using false information, you open yourself up to criticism that will connect anything true you write with the falseness of the wooish parts, in line with that old idiom, "one bad apple spoils the whole barrel".

I'm not talking about mixing false with true, that would be perverse.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27349
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Wild animal
Location: Transcona

Re: Randomness

Postby Gord » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:01 am

Transcix wrote:
Gord wrote:
Transcix wrote:...why can't I write a book of woo to un-brainwash those who have succumbed to other books of woo?...

You can try, but your strategy might backfire or corrupt non-woo attempts by more serious individuals.

I'm against using falsehoods in an attempt to deceive people into thinking "rightly". That's why, for instance, I dislike the Zeitgeist film (just the first one; I couldn't bring myself to even watch the other two after suffering through the first part). By using false information, you open yourself up to criticism that will connect anything true you write with the falseness of the wooish parts, in line with that old idiom, "one bad apple spoils the whole barrel".

I'm not talking about mixing false with true, that would be perverse.

Then it wouldn't be a book of woo. :P
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE


Return to “Brainteasers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest