Did i get that right

If the red house has blue shutters and the green house has red shutters, what's this section for?
Alexander941
Regular Poster
Custom Title: sublime God Emperor

Did i get that right

Postby Alexander941 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:11 am

IMMM DCCXCII CDLVIII

The line should be over the Numerals.
So did i get the Speed of light, in roman numerals, right?

Dont know how the romans wrote such huge numbers cause the thing with the line, which will multiply the number below with 1000, is, as far as i know, an Invention of the middleages.

Ny Ideas?

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Re: Did i get that right

Postby digress » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:37 am

Sadly nobody knows. There aren't enough Megaman sequels to tell us.
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Postby octopus1 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:07 am

Alexander941 wrote:IMMM DCCXCII CDLVIII

The line should be over the Numerals.
So did i get the Speed of light, in roman numerals, right?

Dont know how the romans wrote such huge numbers cause the thing with the line, which will multiply the number below with 1000, is, as far as i know, an Invention of the middleages.

Ny Ideas?

Pass the bong dude, I could use whatever you're smoking right now...
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

Alexander941
Regular Poster
Custom Title: sublime God Emperor

Postby Alexander941 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:02 am

I dont smoke anything, all i take is a lot of soups, tea (tons of it), antidepresants and chocolate.

Maybe my Mom puts something in the food, tomorrow ill dine at my parents place, I'll ask.

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Postby octopus1 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:34 am

Alexander941 wrote:I dont smoke anything, all i take is a lot of soups, tea (tons of it), antidepresants and chocolate.

Maybe my Mom puts something in the food, tomorrow ill dine at my parents place, I'll ask.

Please do, because I'm bewildered :P
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:55 am

mmmm, soups....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:46 pm

Note: I'm going to have to use underlines rather than overlines due to limitations of the formatting available on the board.

There really isn't a clear answer to your question. The main problem is that the Romans didn't have much reason to write very large numbers. As the use of Roman numerals continued over the centuries, new methods were created to write large numbers. Sometime in the Middle Ages the overline techinque you mentioned was invented, but it wasn't consistently used. So while putting a line over the number usually indicated that a value was multiplied by 1000, that wasn't always the case. Even more confusing, putting vertical bars on either side of a number sometimes meant an additional multiplication by 1000. This is especially hard to read in this font because a sans serif I looks a lot like a |.

Now let's make it even more confusing. Sometimes underlines, overlines, bars were just used to separate the numbers from the rest of the text! So if you saw the letter M with a box drawn around it, it could mean 1,000 or 1,000,000 or 1,000,000,000.

And then there's the subtraction rule, so IV means (V)-(I) = (5)-(1) = 4 and not (I)+(V)=(1)+(5)=6.
So IV=4, IX=9, XC=90. But you can't use IC for 99, you have to use XCIX which is parsed as (XC)(IX) because you have to separate the ones, tens, hundreds, and thousands.

I think the best way to write 299,792,458 would be |CCXCIX|DCCXCIICDLVIII which breaks down as:
  • |CCXCIX| = |(CC)(XC)(IX)| = (200+90+9)×1000×1000 = 299,000,000
  • DCCXCII = (DCC)(XC)(II) = (700+90+2)×1000 = 792,000
  • CDLVIII = (CD)(L)(VIII) = (400+50+8) = 458
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:28 am

Austin Harper wrote:There really isn't a clear answer to your question. The main problem is that the Romans didn't have much reason to write very large numbers.
Absolutely. Exact numbers large numbers are never required . We studied this in languages for anthropology using Pigin ( pidgin) as our model. Languages replace numbers with "collectives" which give an indication as to number. ie "eons".

Return to “Brainteasers”