How flowering plants conquered the world

Creationism, Intelligent Design, and Evolution.
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:36 pm

By Helen Briggs
BBC News
14 January 2018

"Scientists think they have the answer to a puzzle that baffled even Charles Darwin: How flowers evolved and spread to become the dominant plants on Earth.

Flowering plants, or angiosperms, make up about 90% of all living plant species, including most food crops.

In the distant past, they outpaced plants such as conifers and ferns, which predate them, but how they did this has has been a mystery.

New research suggests it is down to genome size - and small is better.

"It really comes down to a question of cell size and how you can build a small cell and still retain all the attributes that are necessary for life," says Kevin Simonin from San Francisco State University in California, US.

'Abominable mystery'
Hundreds of millions of years ago, the Earth was dominated by ferns and conifers. Then, about 150 million years ago, the first flowering plants appeared on the scene.

They quickly spread to all parts of the world, changing the landscape from muted green to a riot of vibrant colour."

Continues...
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: How flowering plants conquered the world

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:14 pm

All the plant photos are of cultivars created by humans. Which should I use, :scratch:, or :lol:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Genome size or cell size: not the same thing. And...in Gawd's summary no connection made to why that is more competitive. Does the notion apply to animals? My gut says no.

flowering plants are sexual allowing for greater genetic variability over all other forms of reproduction.

My gut: its variability that succeeds...nothing else.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:52 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Genome size or cell size: not the same thing. And...in Gawd's summary no connection made to why that is more competitive. Does the notion apply to animals? My gut says no.

flowering plants are sexual allowing for greater genetic variability over all other forms of reproduction.

My gut: its variability that succeeds...nothing else.
Gymnosperms are sexual too.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:59 pm

Oleg: thanks for the note. A short read here:

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Angio ... ymnosperms
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?