Revising the story of the dispersal of modern humans across Eurasia

Creationism, Intelligent Design, and Evolution.
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:18 pm

Technological advances and multidisciplinary research teams are reshaping our understanding of when and how humans left Africa -- and who they met along the way

Date: December 7, 2017

Source: Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History

Summary: Most people are now familiar with the traditional 'Out of Africa' model: modern humans evolved in Africa and then dispersed across Asia and reached Australia in a single wave about 60,000 years ago. However, technological advances in DNA analysis and other fossil identification techniques, as well as an emphasis on multidisciplinary research, are revising this story. Recent discoveries show that humans left Africa multiple times prior to 60,000 years ago, and that they interbred with other hominins in many locations across Eurasia.
elle O'Reilly
Most people are now familiar with the traditional "Out of Africa" model: modern humans evolved in Africa and then dispersed across Asia and reached Australia in a single wave about 60,000 years ago. However, technological advances in DNA analysis and other fossil identification techniques, as well as an emphasis on multidisciplinary research, are revising this story. Recent discoveries show that humans left Africa multiple times prior to 60,000 years ago, and that they interbred with other hominins in many locations across Eurasia.

A review of recent research on dispersals by early modern humans from Africa to Asia by researchers from the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History and the University of Hawai'i at Manoa confirms that the traditional view of a single dispersal of anatomically modern humans out of Africa around 60,000 years ago can no longer be seen as the full story. The analysis, published in the journal Science, reviews the plethora of new discoveries being reported from Asia over the past decade, which were made possible by technological advances and interdisciplinary collaborations, and shows that Homo sapiens reached distant parts of the Asian continent, as well as Near Oceania, much earlier than previously thought. Additionally, evidence that modern humans interbred with other hominins already present in Asia, such as Neanderthals and Denisovans, complicates the evolutionary history of our species.

New model: Multiple dispersals of modern humans out of Africa, beginning as early as 120,000 years ago

The authors brought together findings from multiple recent studies to refine the picture of human dispersals out of Africa and into Asia. While scientists once thought that humans first left Africa in a single wave of migration about 60,000 years ago, recent studies have identified modern human fossils in far reaches of Asia that are potentially much older. For example, H. sapiens remains have been found at multiple sites in southern and central China that have been dated to between 70,000 and 120,000 years ago. Additional finds indicate that modern humans reached Southeast Asia and Australia prior to 60,000 years ago.

However, other recent studies do confirm that all present-day non-African populations branched off from a single ancestral population in Africa approximately 60,000 years ago. This could indicate that there were multiple, smaller dispersals of humans out of Africa beginning as early as 120,000 years ago, followed by a major dispersal 60,000 years ago. While the recent dispersal contributed the bulk of the genetic make-up of present-day non-Africans, the earlier dispersals are still evident.
Continues...
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: Revising the story of the dispersal of modern humans across Eurasia

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:23 pm

That all makes sense.

I'm still coming to terms with the knowledge that Homo floresiensis died out in Indonesia 12,000 years ago and were decedents from Homo habilis that must of left Africa between 2 million to 1.5 million years ago.

We Homos obviously like walking.
:lol:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:28 pm

Only 12K years ago? Wow.........we almost had a compliant working class ready to go?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:18 am

What makes you think they would have been compliant, Bobbo ?

They might have turned into the dominant and dictatorial class.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:49 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:What makes you think they would have been compliant, Bobbo ? They might have turned into the dominant and dictatorial class.
If there were indeed Homo habilis, they would not have a class structure. Australopithecus had the same brain as a monkey but walked upright. Homo habilis was the Australopithecus that first used stone tools, because he had two free hands and a slightly larger frontal lobe.

That been said, I'm sort of glad there is only one homo species left, because we homo sapiens, probably would have enslaved any other remaining hominid species, as Bobbo was suggesting. Imagine the prejudice against Homo erectus slave workers!

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:57 am

Matthew

I was being a bit facetious. But the reality is that we know very little about Homo floresiensis. In fact, some people believe the bones found were Homo sapiens, but with congenital disease. Assuming that is not so, all we can say is that they were smaller. Their ancestry and their intelligence, not to mention aggressiveness, is entirely imaginative. They were smart enough to knap stone tools, which is all our ancestors could do 10,000 years ago.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:16 am

Origins of Indonesian ‘hobbits’ finally revealed
http://www.anu.edu.au/news/all-news/ori ... y-revealed
"The study by The Australian National University (ANU) found Homo floresiensis, dubbed "the hobbits" due to their small stature, were most likely a sister species of Homo habilis - one of the earliest known species of human found in Africa 1.75 million years ago."
Lance Kennedy wrote: They were smart enough to knap stone tools, which is all our ancestors could do 10,000 years ago.
Well actually knapped stone tools are about two million years old and popped up with homo habilis. It does all, sort of, fit together. :D

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:30 am

Sure, but my point is that apart from the smaller skulls, we have no way to suggest they might have been less smart than Homo sapiens. If you want to suggest smaller skulls mean less intelligent, start by telling the women of our own species, who have smaller skulls than the men. See how you go.

In fact, we already know that brain size is a poor guide to intelligence. Parrots and crows have small brains, and are often much smarter than many mammals with much bigger brains.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:46 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Sure, but my point is that apart from the smaller skulls, we have no way to suggest they might have been less smart than Homo sapiens.
Fair point. However it seems improbable.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:48 am

Smart does correlate to brain size. Not 1.0 but higher than other correlations we all rely on. But I was thinking of the female correlation......not brain size but body size. Alpha Males make all smaller species compliant....or wipe them out.

Woof, woof.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:50 am

As you know, we are having twins and just went through genetic disease testing. I discovered that there are very few genetic diseases on the male sex chromosome,,,,,simply because it is so small compared to all the other chromosomes. :shock:

What Made The Y Chromosome So Tiny?
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/06/what ... e-so-tiny/

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:54 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:...Homo floresiensis died out in Indonesia 12,000 years ago and were decedents from Homo habilis that must of left Africa between 2 million to 1.5 million years ago....
have

:beee: Pfft. Neanderthals, the lot of ya.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:11 am

must of..............modern acceptable slang.............if you aren't: must y.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:21 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:...Homo floresiensis died out in Indonesia 12,000 years ago and were decedents from Homo habilis that must of left Africa between 2 million to 1.5 million years ago....
Gord wrote:have
must have left Africa
must have left Africa
must have left Africa

Thank you Gord. I'm getting better at it.
:D

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Post by Poodle » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:20 am

Well done, Gord. Your proactive approach to the salvation of our common language is admirable. That misuse of phonetic spelling pisses me off, too.
It's MUST HAVE, ladies and gentlemen or, if you're in such a desperate hurry, MUST'VE. Never, in a million years or longer, is it 'must of', nor has it ever been, nor will it ever be so long as I can ram wadding into my musket.
We have to bear, with tears in our eyes, the general slackening of linguistic standards. It has been so since Shakespeare invented the science of misspelling and developed creative neologisms. But 'must of' has no reason to exist. It's alien. It carries no history. It's just plain, {!#%@} wrong. Even JO has never gone there.

NOTE: Yes, I know there was no formalised spelling at all in Will's day, but an appeal to Shakespeare always carries more weight.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:32 am

We beard (how does that work?) it, YOU bared it.................and still, fewer key strokes.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:13 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:must of..............modern acceptable slang.............if you aren't: must y.
Citation needed.

It isn't slang, it is ignorant or careless use of the language, just like 'your crazy'.

But . . . I DO wonder how Gord became familiar with Neanderthal grammar rules.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:38 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:But . . . I DO wonder how Gord became familiar with Neanderthal grammar rules.
He had a tutor, but the guy never writes anymore.

Or anyless.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:But . . . I DO wonder how Gord became familiar with Neanderthal grammar rules.

Or anyless.
Nevertheless . . .
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:55 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Or anyless.
Nevertheless . . .
(Gord bate continues.)

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Or anyless.
Nevertheless . . .
(Gord bate continues.)
The debate has abated, but Gord has been baited.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:07 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Or anyless.
Nevertheless . . .
(Gord bate continues.)
I await him with chummed breath.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:25 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Or anyless.
Nevertheless . . .
(Gord bate continues.)
Salmon chanted evening morning?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:00 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:must of..............modern acceptable slang.............if you aren't: must y.
Citation needed.
See Poodles post just above. It wasn't a typo, but a LINK to the vernacular.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:27 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Or anyless.
Nevertheless . . .
(Gord bate continues.)
Salmon chanted evening morning?
It's not on, chaps. That's my mother you're talking about.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:46 am

Odd, I never thought about you having parents.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:17 pm

Neither did my parents.

Also, my uncle's name was Odd. My name is Gord.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:27 pm

Gord wrote:Neither did my parents.

Also, my uncle's name was Odd. My name is Gord.
Gords Bodkins?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:41 am

Yes. Gords daggers.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:56 am

Gord wrote:Yes. Gords daggers.
"Dagger" was once a nickname for denim lesbians.

So, yeah, that works too.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:10 am

And for what is "denim lesbians" a nickname?
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:51 am

Gord wrote:And for what is "denim lesbians" a nickname?
"Lumberjack lesbians".