Humans are still evolving........video

Creationism, Intelligent Design, and Evolution.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Humans are still evolving........video

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:59 am

Irritating video, but good info. With digesting milk being recent and mostly of European expression......I wonder if the milk/blood diet of the Masai is beneficial mostly from the blood....or something else in the milk...like fat or proteins if not the sugar?

Anyway...fun to think about....what in our environment man made as it is that is actually shaping our gene pool? I've always thought we would evolve as a species to loving and supporting our kiddies more as today only those who wish to have kiddies need to.... Course, it is multi-factorial which always makes it complicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Q7q_Ua_F8
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Re: Humans are still evolving........video

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:09 am

Another one of those weird threads in which I have to agree with Bobbo.

Yes, we are still evolving. Evolution never stops. There is no guarantee, of course, that the evolution will be in directions that we consider good. Bobbo suggests greater caring for children. I would re-word that as a greater desire for children. As long as those children get born and survive long enough to reproduce in their own turn, the caring thing is less important. I know lots of families where child care was crappy, but the kids still grew up and started popping out offspring like assembly line manufacture!

My own view is that what will be much, much, more important, is deliberate genetic modification. Given another century of genetics development, the sky is the limit in creating humans who will have all kinds of advantages, ranging from better looks, athleticism, intelligence, right through to weirder ideas, like installing a magnetic sense, or enhancing our resistance to radiation damage (handy for space travellers).

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:44 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Bobbo suggests greater caring for children. I would re-word that as a greater desire for children. As long as those children get born and survive long enough to reproduce in their own turn, the caring thing is less important.

Thats what I said...... just put the later part together with the first part.... and thats what I said. Statistically, if you actually want the kiddies, I'd think you would more likely take care of them. Am I wrong??? Hint: I did not say "absolutely every single parent will take better care of their kiddies. Evolution does go forward with statistics. Not every single case...just more likely than not as a group to advance the next generation. Statistics. Like you might be more successful by agreeing with what I post before going negative?

Ha, ha............ but I digress.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:46 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:we would evolve as a species to loving and supporting our kiddies more as today only those who wish to have kiddies need to....

You need to be more careful with your wording, Bobbo.The wording above does not suggest evolving a greater desire for children, as opposed to being more loving and caring towards children. However, I suspect you agree with me. With more resources in the future, such as robot nannies, being loving will have less impact on evolution than the simple desire to have lots of kids.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:04 am

The full quote is: " I've always thought we would evolve as a species to loving and supporting our kiddies more as today only those who wish to have kiddies need to.... Course, it is multi-factorial which always makes it complicated."

Not the truncated version you provide. I don't know what demarcation you want to make between "loving and supporting our kiddies ....(because) those who wish to have kiddies could do so as those who wish not to would more often not. so...I can't see the result not arising without the desire. Sounds like fiction to me.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:57 pm

Reality.

Even today, there are lots of parents who pop out heaps of offspring but do not look after them well.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:17 pm

You really werent kidding about being irritating! I made to 6 before I had to stop.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:18 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Reality.

Even today, there are lots of parents who pop out heaps of offspring but do not look after them well.

Yes, that is the very basis of my comment. What do you think you are highlighting?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:21 am

JO 753 wrote:You really werent kidding about being irritating! I made to 6 before I had to stop.

Ha, ha.....thanks for the confirmation. Sometimes I think I'm getting too.....irritable?? As I recall, the list was worth listening to, maybe in half batches is the right way to go. I find in general I prefer a transcript over a video...but once again, I recognize I might be too irritable.

Return to “Origins”