Birds still do it…. but Bees …

Creationism, Intelligent Design, and Evolution.
nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Birds still do it…. but Bees …

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:09 pm

…. (at least some bees) have options.
Fascinating tale:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/10/science/bees-asexual-south-africa.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fscience&action=click&contentCollecti

Is this a trend in nature?
Another anxiety food the already put-upon male?

NMB

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Birds still do it…. but Bees …

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:19 pm

nmblum88 wrote:…. (at least some bees) have options.
Fascinating tale:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/10/science/bees-asexual-south-africa.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fscience&action=click&contentCollecti

NMB

Copycats.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:27 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
nmblum88 wrote:…. (at least some bees) have options.
Fascinating tale:

NMB

Copycats.

Ah! A speed reader…
I'm fair… but clearly no cigar!!

It will take me through a cup of coffee to read,
And finishing my doughnut, to digest.

NMB

TJrandom
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:14 pm

I suspect that this started because male bees went on strike - refusing to mate with their queen, only to have their bits ripped out of their bodies - and each subsequent male bee to have to remove the prior male`s bits from the queen, prior to mating - all while in mid flight. Having her way with several sacrificial males on her sex crazed flight, the queen then returns to her hive triumphantly and has her worker bees remove the bits from her last male. Gruesome really – enough to turn the worker bees off of sex for life. Just think – if humans reproduced as bees do, the population would drop significantly. :? :( :cry: :) :D :lol:

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:05 pm

I'm looking for comments from educated fleas ...

TJrandom
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:16 pm

Except for the humor inserted into my post, above - the description of normal honeybee mating is accurate....

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:19 pm

Poodle wrote:I'm looking for comments from educated fleas …

"Thy wish is my command:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rCEVktDZfw

NMB

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:29 pm

TJrandom wrote:I suspect that this started because male bees went on strike - refusing to mate with their queen, only to have their bits ripped out of their bodies - and each subsequent male bee to have to remove the prior male`s bits from the queen, prior to mating - all while in mid flight. Having her way with several sacrificial males on her sex crazed flight, the queen then returns to her hive triumphantly and has her worker bees remove the bits from her last male. Gruesome really – enough to turn the worker bees off of sex for life. Just think – if humans reproduced as bees do, the population would drop significantly. :? :( :cry: :) :D :lol:

I can only handle one smiley at a time… in an emergency maybe two.
In this case, nature trumps wit; the real wold is no romp in the hay.
We animals, cockroach, bee, bear, human were apparently designed to pay dearly for our momentary pleasure.
But also to throw all caution to the wind in pursuit of it… especially the male, poor baby.

A favorite description of the mating process is an essay by the naturalist Fabre, on the habits of the praying mantis…. look for it and weep.

NMB

Flash
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Flash » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:39 am

sphodromantisbaccettii3.jpg

http://www.keepinginsects.com/praying-mantis/

A praying mantis is an amazing insect that can be kept as a pet. A praying mantis can catch other insects with its strong front legs. The front legs are lined with spikes and close in a certain way to have a firm grip on the prey. A mantis has a mobile head that can turn around like humans can, large eyes, large front legs to grab prey and four legs meant for walking. Praying mantids vary in adult length between 1 and 16 cm. Praying mantids exclusively eat other insects by catching them with their forelegs. They do not use poison but eat the prey alive while they hold it firmly.

And they are spiritual...pray a lot. What an insect, eh?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Half the lies they tell about me aren't true. Yogi Berra.

TJrandom
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:16 am

nmblum88 wrote:
TJrandom wrote:I suspect that this started because male bees went on strike - refusing to mate with their queen, only to have their bits ripped out of their bodies - and each subsequent male bee to have to remove the prior male`s bits from the queen, prior to mating - all while in mid flight. Having her way with several sacrificial males on her sex crazed flight, the queen then returns to her hive triumphantly and has her worker bees remove the bits from her last male. Gruesome really – enough to turn the worker bees off of sex for life. Just think – if humans reproduced as bees do, the population would drop significantly. :? :( :cry: :) :D :lol:

I can only handle one smiley at a time… in an emergency maybe two.
In this case, nature trumps wit; the real wold is no romp in the hay.
We animals, cockroach, bee, bear, human were apparently designed to pay dearly for our momentary pleasure.
But also to throw all caution to the wind in pursuit of it… especially the male, poor baby.

A favorite description of the mating process is an essay by the naturalist Fabre, on the habits of the praying mantis…. look for it and weep.

NMB

Well then... :cry: :D

Return to “Origins”