just how head strong are creationists

Creationism, Intelligent Design, and Evolution.
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: just how head strong are creationists

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:26 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:Now that he has buggered off (though I didn't hear the door slam), I wonder what sort of emotional needs are best filled by nothing at all. I mean, if no-god is sufficient, then why have the needs in the first place. Is he saying that atheism is a self-unfulfilling prophecy? :?

To deep for the likes of me to answer, but I suspect he hates/loves his mommy?
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:00 am

Lausten wrote:
I haven't heard an honest answer yet.

What was the question?

"Why won't you admit you're all wrong about your entire lives and I'm right even though I've never met yooooooouuuuu?!?! :hissyfit: "
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:06 am

:lol:
Hi, Io the lurker.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:16 am

Oooops, lets be more mature about it. There simply was no agreement to disagree - at least from one side... :sad:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:46 am

CMurdock wrote: Obviously, you set the standard so high because you don't want to believe in anything.

This is a very strange comment for someone to specifically write on a skeptic forum, full of skeptics, who by definition, cannot believe in anything. :D

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:14 am

When it comes to the word "believe", I think I might have a different understanding than the wooists and religionists who project onto me this desire to not believe. It's true that I don't want to believe anything -- I want to understand it, I want to recognise it, I want to accept as true that which appears to be true when adequate scrutiny has been applied to it. But believe? No, believing is trusting in unknown data and relying on it more heavily than is warranted.

If I'm going to go bungee jumping, I don't want to "believe" the cord is tied to the bridge first. I want to understand that it is, I want to recognise that it is, and I want to accept that it is when I've inspected it and determined that under adequate scrutiny it definitely appears to be tied to the bridge. I don't trust the margin of error that crops up when someone just "believes" in stuff.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:35 am

Gord wrote:When it comes to the word "believe", I think I might have a different understanding than the wooists and religionists who project onto me this desire to not believe. It's true that I don't want to believe anything -- I want to understand it, I want to recognise it, I want to accept as true that which appears to be true when adequate scrutiny has been applied to it. But believe? No, believing is trusting in unknown data and relying on it more heavily than is warranted.

If I'm going to go bungee jumping, I don't want to "believe" the cord is tied to the bridge first. I want to understand that it is, I want to recognise that it is, and I want to accept that it is when I've inspected it and determined that under adequate scrutiny it definitely appears to be tied to the bridge. I don't trust the margin of error that crops up when someone just "believes" in stuff.
To add to your analogy, I want someone with a graduate degree in knot-tying to have tied the cord to the bridge and thoroughly tested his work and materials...including the length of the cord as compared to the height of the bridge. Preferentially, I'd like him to jump before I do. :mrgreen:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:52 am

"Analogy"? /me jumps off a bridge
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:28 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote: Preferentially, I'd like him to jump before I do. :mrgreen:

And hope the cord doesn't stretch some with each use.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:32 pm

That's what their tests showed. :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:18 am

scrmbldggs wrote:That's what their tests showed. :-P

Is that going to be the new "That's what she said"?
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:31 am

:laff:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Origins”