Benevolent sexism

What you think about how you think.
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Benevolent sexism

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:17 pm

Reference, New Scientist, 21 July 2018, page 7

The term "Benevolent sexism " is not mine. It comes from my reference. It refers to male chivalry towards females, whether opening a car door, or paying for a restaurant meal.

The interesting thing is that today's woman recognises this behaviour as sexist and a put down of women. Yet a guy who exhibits this behaviour is still more attractive than a guy who does not.

The author suggests that the reason such men are more attractive is that they are indicating a greater willingness to commit to a relationship. But that is just an opinion. After all, chivalrous behaviour entrenches gender inequality.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Re: Benevolent sexism

Post by gorgeous » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:19 pm

real women don't find kindness sexist..only psycho feminists do...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:00 am

I would really have preferred a reply from someone without a proven history of gullibility.

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:17 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:I would really have preferred a reply from someone without a proven history of gullibility.
Sorry. I was really gullible when I was eight months old. But here goes anyway.

I think women are of two minds on the subject. I know one who wanted to pay for dinner and be drafted specifically because the alternative was sexist.

She was very quiet about it though, and you won't find her type holding a bullhorn. She would hand me the money so the server didn't know it was her paying. She wanted to respect the culture, but be honourable, too. To her, being a good person was deeply personal.

The kind of woman you will find holding a bullhorn is the opposite. They want all the equality and all the advantages instead of neither. They're louder (because they're holding bullhorns) so that weights the numbers in favour of women wanting it all.

Just remember that for every psycho feminist you do hear screeching like a harpy, there's a real feminist who's perfectly fine with being treated unequally because she cares about actually being equal - being as honourable and decent as everyone else.