Born Gay

What you think about how you think.
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Born Gay

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:44 am

Reference : New Scientist, 16 December 2017, page 8

Recent studies have uncovered two genes that are associated with a higher probability of being gay in men. Also an antibody mechanism that may explain why it is more common for men to be gay if they have older brothers (who will be straight).

This is not the full story, of course, and more prenatal and genetic influences may be discovered in future, and possibly even environmental influences. But at this point in time, it seems that the claim that someone is born homosexual has considerable scientific backing.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Re: Born Gay

Postby Aztexan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:50 am

The 1st two threads in this subforum are Born Gay and Macho Man.
Carry on.
trump is Putin's bitch

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:58 am

I wonder... was there an antiforum mechanism that casued two Born Gay treads to be created with the same OP?

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:47 am

I was told that gayness comes from chemtrails...
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

KevinLevites
Poster

Postby KevinLevites » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:48 pm

I 've always had issues with homosexual rights controversy during my work, and I don't understand certian things.

As a paramedic, I have to be nonjudgemental.

So, when I transported gay men and treated their other halves in the same way that I treated a spouse, I always got excoriated and repremanded for it...since only a spouse is allowed in the back of an ambulance.

I always tried to treat people the same, and religious hospitals (where we got a lot of business) would complain to my superiors when I extended courtesy to same-gender couples, and this keptme from being promoted.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:21 pm

My sympathy, Kevin.
Exercising what you know is right does sometimes lead to sacrifice. But you get to keep your self respect, and the respect of people who are worthy.

KevinLevites
Poster

Postby KevinLevites » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:08 pm

Thank you.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Only spouses are allowed in the backs of ambulances? Wow. I got to ride in the back of ambulances with my father on one occasion and with my friend on another.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

KevinLevites
Poster

Postby KevinLevites » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:45 pm

It is different now, but in the past policies were set by the agency that was running the service.

There were other exceptions. Police officers could ride in the back if we were transporting prisoners, and we could take someone if we needed a translator. Also, kids could be accompanied by a parent.

The other half of a gay couple?

No. They're not a spouse.

This situation actually made it to the supreme court when a hospital wouldn't let a lesbian visit her life partner when the patient was dying because the parents of the patient forbided it, and the hospital had a policy of allowing relatives to make the desicions.

It didn't matter that the couple was together for 15 years and that they had a child.

In my case, religious issues with homosexuality interfered with me doing my (in my mind) important job.

As a specific example, I'll ask you to accept certian things just for the sake of me making a point.

I found out (just from observation) that if a man is having a heart attack and his wife is there to comfort him, I could use smaller doses of medication to accomplish whatever it was that I wanted to do.

I believed (and I stress that this is a belief) that this was important, as I wanted to use the smallest dose of medication that was effective, since once you inject a med...you generally can't take it back out.

I expanded these ideas to include the other halves of gay couples under the theory that a paramedic can't be judgemental and must provide similar standards to similar patients regardless of sexual preferences.

This is what got me in trouble.

We have a few Catholic hospitals, and administration would get bent out of shape when they saw me treating the gay patients' other halves like a spouse. This usually amounted to no more than providing a chair, privacy screens, maybe a glass of water, and so forth. I also gave the other halves paperwork (like you would with a spouse) and I would get excoriated.

Our policy (with the exceptions I mentioned above) was that only a spouse was allowed in the back, so I violated policy.

I wanted to take the other halves with me for safety reasons, since I didn't like it when an anxious partner was speeding to the hospital and increasing the possibility of a bad wreck that might get someone killed.

If they were both with me, then everyone was calmer, there were no accidents, and there was no panicky partner isolated in a waiting room making life difficult for hospital staff and the other patients waiting for treatment.

It seemed like a win-win all the way around...but a gay partner isn't the same as a spouse and I should follow policy.

KevinLevites
Poster

Postby KevinLevites » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:54 pm

Look up the court case of Lisa Pond that happened in 2007-2009.

A Florida hospital wouldn't let the lesbian partner of 18 years (or their kid) visit when she was dying from a cerebral bleed...just because they were gay.

I ran into this all the time. Treating a gay couple like they were married kept me from getting promoted, and kept me from getting better duty assignments and so forth.

The hospitals gave our service quite a bit of business, so my administration woyld get pissed off when I alienated the hospitals by being compassionate to the gay partners.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:32 pm

Gord wrote:Only spouses are allowed in the backs of ambulances? Wow. I got to ride in the back of ambulances with my father on one occasion and with my friend on another.

You were a legal relative. With us, my wife follows to the ER in the Mazda, because my hospital bag in the car.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:15 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:Only spouses are allowed in the backs of ambulances? Wow. I got to ride in the back of ambulances with my father on one occasion and with my friend on another.

You were a legal relative.

My friend and I weren't legal anythings. :beee:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:34 am

Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Those kiddie park anbulance rides don`t count.... (nor do those in cosplay dens... :oops: ) :lol:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:33 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Reference : New Scientist, 16 December 2017, page 8

Recent studies have uncovered two genes that are associated with a higher probability of being gay in men. Also an antibody mechanism that may explain why it is more common for men to be gay if they have older brothers (who will be straight).

This is not the full story, of course, and more prenatal and genetic influences may be discovered in future, and possibly even environmental influences. But at this point in time, it seems that the claim that someone is born homosexual has considerable scientific backing.

LMFTFY: "While it has always been the case that you are born with your gender identification, what everyone can see if they look is being supported by increasing genetic identification." But at this point in time, it seems that the claim that someone is born homosexual has considerable scientific backing.

Proof: No one chooses to be gay.............or straight. One can lie about either, but Darwin carries a mean whip.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:41 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Those kiddie park anbulance rides don`t count.... (nor do those in cosplay dens... :oops: ) :lol:

Do too do too!
#ANDAMOVIE

mirror93
Poster

Postby mirror93 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:49 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Reference : New Scientist, 16 December 2017, page 8

I have 4 straight brothers and I aint no gay, gee

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:04 am

mirror93 wrote: I have 4 straight brothers ...
Irrelevant. Missed high school genetics?

mirror93 wrote: .... and I aint no gay, gee
so what?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:11 pm

I had a TIA on the 9th, took five minutes to tell them where my phone was.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:20 pm

I had one of those many years ago and made it to the emergency room. I couldn`t write my name or speak with any clarity... mouth was numb, cheeks plastic to the touch... not to be repeated.

EDIT - add `ago`
Last edited by TJrandom on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:05 am

TJrandom wrote:I had one of those many years and made it to the emergency room. I couldn`t write my name or speak with any clarity... mouth was numb, cheeks plastic to the touch... not to be repeated.

Every one of mine has presented differently. Entire left side nonfunctional. Tapped SOS into the phone. They got the idea.

This was #12 since 2010.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:12 pm

Transient ischemic attack? Well, those suck!

Do they know the underlying cause? Is it because you're gay, or because you're not gay? :shb:
#ANDAMOVIE

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:32 pm

A TIA is a mini stroke, and the cause is the same as any stroke, a part of the brain is left short of blood flow (and hence oxygen) due to a blood clot or a leaking blood vessel. The difference is that a TIA is sufficiently minor as a medical event that it leaves minimal damage to the brain. It can happen to anyone, but is mostly people over about 65 years of age.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:44 pm

Gord wrote:Transient ischemic attack? Well, those suck!

Do they know the underlying cause? Is it because you're gay, or because you're not gay? :shb:

It is because you have a brain, so, at least, gorgeous is safe.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:49 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:A TIA is a mini stroke, and the cause is the same as any stroke, a part of the brain is left short of blood flow (and hence oxygen) due to a blood clot or a leaking blood vessel. The difference is that a TIA is sufficiently minor as a medical event that it leaves minimal damage to the brain. It can happen to anyone, but is mostly people over about 65 years of age.

Yes, but when you have 12 in 18 years, there's often an underlying cause.
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:15 am

I chalk mine up to very stressful overwork and insufficient hydration and nourishment. It was a Sunday evening in Singapore, and I was still in the office slaving away on whatever, way past dinner time. I felt in coming on (facial numbness) – tried to call my wife here in Japan but couldn`t remember the numbers – but my fingers somehow remembered. She advised the emergency room. I jumped the taxi queue, got an MRI, blood tests, and some strychnine or was it warfarin, plus baby aspirins for several years. The MRI and blood tests showed nothing but the symptoms were there.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:16 am

Born gay, as gay as the wind blows
As gay as the grass grows
Born gay to follow your heart

Live gay and beauty surrounds you
The world still astounds you
Each time you look at a star

Stay gay where no walls divide you
You're gay as the roaring tide
So there's no need to hide

Born gay and life is worth living
But only worth living
'Cause you're born gay

Stay gay where no walls divide you
You're gay as the roaring tide
So there's no need to hide

Born gay and life is worth living
But only worth living
'Cause you're born gay
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Gord wrote:
Lance Kennedy wrote:A TIA is a mini stroke, and the cause is the same as any stroke, a part of the brain is left short of blood flow (and hence oxygen) due to a blood clot or a leaking blood vessel. The difference is that a TIA is sufficiently minor as a medical event that it leaves minimal damage to the brain. It can happen to anyone, but is mostly people over about 65 years of age.

So, 12 in EIGHT years would be worse? :roll:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:25 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:

Math is not my strong suit. Neither is using the backspace to delete a 10 and write in an 8. :beee:
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:28 pm

Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:

Math is not my strong suit. Neither is using the backspace to delete a 10 and write in an 8. :beee:

I'm sure that meant something.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:16 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:

I'm sure that meant something.

Yes, Mom.
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Brain, Mind, & Consciousness”