Imagine as if life was a dream

What you think about how you think.
User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Imagine as if this was a dream

Postby mirror93 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:20 pm

placid wrote:One doesn't remember anything while conscious either, simply because no one is conscious.
One cannot know anything before one already knows, it is only as one recalls it from memory as knowledge on demand. Consciousness is this living dead.


Being conscious definition:

1. aware of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.

2. fully aware of or sensitive to something (often followed by of):
conscious of one's own faults; "He wasn't conscious of the gossip about his past."

3. having the mental faculties fully active:
"He was conscious during the operation."

4. known to oneself; felt:
conscious guilt.

5. aware of what one is doing:
a conscious liar. (placid in this case)

6. aware of oneself; self-conscious.

7. deliberate; intentional:
a conscious insult; a conscious effort.

(if a person have any of these attributes, then he/she is conscious).

BS like "self-aware universe" "self-aware dream" "it's not you who is aware, it's god" "brahman alone" "self alone" and any other hippy dippy definition of what 'being conscious' means, is nonsense, therefore discarded and ignored as BS.
93 (Quatrevingt-treize), a novel concerning the French Revolution by Victor Hugo

User avatar
placid
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1304
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: Imagine as if this was a dream

Postby placid » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:27 pm

mirror93 wrote:
placid wrote:One doesn't remember anything while conscious either, simply because no one is conscious.
One cannot know anything before one already knows, it is only as one recalls it from memory as knowledge on demand. Consciousness is this living dead.


Being conscious definition:

1. aware of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.

2. fully aware of or sensitive to something (often followed by of):
conscious of one's own faults; "He wasn't conscious of the gossip about his past."

3. having the mental faculties fully active:
"He was conscious during the operation."

4. known to oneself; felt:
conscious guilt.

5. aware of what one is doing:
a conscious liar. (placid in this case)

6. aware of oneself; self-conscious.

7. deliberate; intentional:
a conscious insult; a conscious effort.

(if a person have any of these attributes, then he/she is conscious).

BS like "self-aware universe" "self-aware dream" "it's not you who is aware, it's god" "brahman alone" "self alone" and any other hippy dippy definition of what 'being conscious' means, is nonsense, therefore discarded and ignored as BS.

Congrats on defining ''personal awareness'' conceptually.

Now try defining ''impersonal awareness'' non-conceptually.

Ever notice how "personal me" never recognises "impersonal awareness"

We all have awareness. If there's only ALL, then no one is aware. There is only awareness aware of itself.

I AM the absence of myself.

In other words, distinguishing "rope from snake", is usually dependent on how dim or bright the light of awareness is in the moment.

And, however labeled . . . "rope", "snake" or "me", mind never recognises impersonal awareness because impersonal awareness is formless and silent.
Something clever should go here.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22535
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: somewhere

Re: Imagine as if this was a dream

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:45 pm

On BS and humbug...

...the orator does not really care what his audience thinks about...It is clear that what makes [the]...oration humbug is not fundamentally that the speaker regards his statements as false. Rather...the orator intends these statements to convey a certain impression of himself.
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Imagine as if this was a dream

Postby mirror93 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:49 pm

placid wrote:
mirror93 wrote:
placid wrote:One doesn't remember anything while conscious either, simply because no one is conscious.
One cannot know anything before one already knows, it is only as one recalls it from memory as knowledge on demand. Consciousness is this living dead.


Being conscious definition:

1. aware of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.

2. fully aware of or sensitive to something (often followed by of):
conscious of one's own faults; "He wasn't conscious of the gossip about his past."

3. having the mental faculties fully active:
"He was conscious during the operation."

4. known to oneself; felt:
conscious guilt.

5. aware of what one is doing:
a conscious liar. (placid in this case)

6. aware of oneself; self-conscious.

7. deliberate; intentional:
a conscious insult; a conscious effort.

(if a person have any of these attributes, then he/she is conscious).

BS like "self-aware universe" "self-aware dream" "it's not you who is aware, it's god" "brahman alone" "self alone" and any other hippy dippy definition of what 'being conscious' means, is nonsense, therefore discarded and ignored as BS.

Congrats on defining ''personal awareness'' conceptually.

Now try defining ''impersonal awareness'' non-conceptually.

Ever notice how "personal me" never recognises "impersonal awareness"

We all have awareness. If there's only ALL, then no one is aware. There is only awareness aware of itself.

I AM the absence of myself.

In other words, distinguishing "rope from snake", is usually dependent on how dim or bright the light of awareness is in the moment.

And, however labeled . . . "rope", "snake" or "me", mind never recognises impersonal awareness because impersonal awareness is formless and silent.


placid is the absense of himself?
impersonal awareness?

:confused:
93 (Quatrevingt-treize), a novel concerning the French Revolution by Victor Hugo

User avatar
placid
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1304
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: Imagine as if this was a dream

Postby placid » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:29 am

mirror93 wrote:
placid is the absense of himself?
impersonal awareness?

:confused:


Self aka pure awareness exists whether there is the story of 'me' there or not.

You are fundamentally the awareness of your story. . aka thoughts.

Although the I in you is the same I in me...our stories / thoughts arising in our I are not the same.


Stories come and go. Awareness does not come and go, there is nowhere for it to go, it's only ever here now. All thoughts arise here and dissolve here. If there was no awareness present always, there would be no thought of you.

You are the awareness of thought, not the thought, the thought is a transient dream within you the eternal dreamer.

You can enter the beautiful world of eternal presence anytime to like, but you have to leave the little monkey mind outside, else you miss the natural splendor and beauty that is your real true self.

The elephant in the living room is not always obvious to some people.
Something clever should go here.

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Imagine as if this was a dream

Postby mirror93 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:16 am

placid wrote:
mirror93 wrote:
placid is the absense of himself?
impersonal awareness?

:confused:


Self aka pure awareness exists whether there is the story of 'me' there or not.

You are fundamentally the awareness of your story. . aka thoughts.

Although the I in you is the same I in me...our stories / thoughts arising in our I are not the same.


Stories come and go. Awareness does not come and go, there is nowhere for it to go, it's only ever here now. All thoughts arise here and dissolve here. If there was no awareness present always, there would be no thought of you.

You are the awareness of thought, not the thought, the thought is a transient dream within you the eternal dreamer.

You can enter the beautiful world of eternal presence anytime to like, but you have to leave the little monkey mind outside, else you miss the natural splendor and beauty that is your real true self.

The elephant in the living room is not always obvious to some people.


and yet, this whole 'awareness' thing happens. guess what? in the brain
http://www.kurzweilai.net/where-is-self ... -the-brain

this whole "eternal dreamer" "no-me" etc, are all ideas about this cult called 'neo-advaita', which we are not interested, this is a skeptic forum, not a religious forum. You provide evidence or go away

the 'eternal dreamer' is a figment in your imagination, a belief.
you are a person, you have a brain, use it.
93 (Quatrevingt-treize), a novel concerning the French Revolution by Victor Hugo

User avatar
placid
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1304
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: Imagine as if this was a dream

Postby placid » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:52 am

mirror93 wrote:
placid wrote:
mirror93 wrote:
the 'eternal dreamer' is a figment in your imagination, a belief.
you are a person, you have a brain, use it.


Okay, label no thing what ever you want, it's your prerogative. You may also believe what you want as well.

But don't deny others their beliefs just because they do not align with yours.

I don't believe I have a brain, but I do believe the brain has me.

If only I could use my brain the one you said I've got...what would I do with that sort of power, hmm,

I would never have known I had a brain if you hadn't have told me, because I cannot see my brain, and I certainly cannot see myself inside the brain even if I could see the brain.

Come on brain work...make me into a God please brain...please work for me!

I love the way skeptics seem to think they've got reality all figured out even though every single one of them have never been alive before.

Strange that, I guess that's what brains must do all day long, they try to figure out how they got here, and from where they came from and why they are here... since nothing else seems to happening...so better make something up...
Something clever should go here.

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Imagine as if this was a dream

Postby mirror93 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:13 pm

placid wrote:
mirror93 wrote:
placid wrote:
mirror93 wrote:
the 'eternal dreamer' is a figment in your imagination, a belief.
you are a person, you have a brain, use it.


Okay, label no thing what ever you want, it's your prerogative. You may also believe what you want as well.

But don't deny others their beliefs just because they do not align with yours.

I don't believe I have a brain, but I do believe the brain has me.

If only I could use my brain the one you said I've got...what would I do with that sort of power, hmm,

I would never have known I had a brain if you hadn't have told me, because I cannot see my brain, and I certainly cannot see myself inside the brain even if I could see the brain.

Come on brain work...make me into a God please brain...please work for me!

I love the way skeptics seem to think they've got reality all figured out even though every single one of them have never been alive before.

Strange that, I guess that's what brains must do all day long, they try to figure out how they got here, and from where they came from and why they are here... since nothing else seems to happening...so better make something up...


no matter what you believe, you still have a brain and you're using it right now, to form and reason your ideas, this is not something to debate, it is evident

how the brains came into existence is another issue.

now are you going to deny that your mother exists and gave birth to you?

I never seen a person appear out of the blue, without having a birth certificate and a mother to give birth to him.

you born and will die, like everyone else and you do have a brain, no one is a special snowflake and idealism is utter bs.

But I see the pointless in this talk, you're never gonna assume that you're wrong. That's why religion exists.
93 (Quatrevingt-treize), a novel concerning the French Revolution by Victor Hugo

User avatar
placid
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1304
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: Imagine as if this was a dream

Postby placid » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:39 pm

mirror93 wrote:
no matter what you believe, you still have a brain and you're using it right now, to form and reason your ideas, this is not something to debate, it is evident
.


birth and death is an idea

it's not your birth or death - a life doesn't belong to anybody, if it did, you wouldn't choose this

nothing chooses this, this is happening spontaneously

no one can outrun the speed of happening to say I own this

life can never die because it was never born

ideas are born and die

There has to be an awareness of every idea that comes and goes, an awareness that has to be continuously here to know every idea as it arises.. many ideas arise and fall ...the knower of every idea is permanent

that's who you are, you are the changeless unborn undying timeless awareness of all changing ideas

religion is an idea
a person is an idea
etc etc


a baby in the womb is not religious, nor is it a person, these are ideas superimposed upon what is already life living itself without beginning nor end
Something clever should go here.

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Imagine as if this was a dream

Postby mirror93 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:56 pm

placid wrote:
mirror93 wrote:
no matter what you believe, you still have a brain and you're using it right now, to form and reason your ideas, this is not something to debate, it is evident
.


birth and death is an idea

it's not your birth or death - a life doesn't belong to anybody, if it did, you wouldn't choose this

nothing chooses this, this is happening spontaneously

no one can outrun the speed of happening to say I own this

life can never die because it was never born

ideas are born and die

There has to be an awareness of every idea that comes and goes, an awareness that has to be continuously here to know every idea as it arises.. many ideas arise and fall ...the knower of every idea is permanent

that's who you are, you are the changeless unborn undying timeless awareness of all changing ideas

religion is an idea
a person is an idea
etc etc


a baby in the womb is not religious, nor is it a person, these are ideas superimposed upon what is already life living itself without beginning nor end


your post is religious bs
neo-advaita is religious bs
enlightenment is religious bs
christ consciousness is religious bs

birth is certainly not an idea, it was a fact that gave you existence, deal with it.
death is what will happen to you, and to everyone else that once born, deal with it.

awareness comes out of an individual who possess brain, awareness = brain.
so any post about it is meaningless. no matter how much Rupert Spira you watch, it won't change the fact that it's religious and bs. :)

Life definition, the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism.

a concept can't live.

it's like saying "death deathing itself"
nonsense

you have a life. and you will die someday, that's a fact you'd love to avoid. but you can't.
93 (Quatrevingt-treize), a novel concerning the French Revolution by Victor Hugo

User avatar
placid
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1304
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: Imagine as if this was a dream

Postby placid » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:59 pm

mirror93 wrote:
awareness comes out of an individual who possess brain, awareness = brain.


you have a life. and you will die someday, that's a fact you'd love to avoid. but you can't.

Don't get me wrong, I want to understand this from your point of view as well ..I want to know what makes you believe what you believe and why you hold onto that belief so strongly that no other idea is viable to you.

But this you that has a life is a conscious thought of the brain, it's not real is it.
How can a brain which is just a piece of organic matter know it exists as a separate individual.

The brain is real enough, the world of organic matter is real, it exists, it goes through cycles or birth and death, of decay and renewal...but it's not a separate entity, it's totality..

If a conscious thought manufactured in the brain is a real person then where is that thought?

and what about the brain itself..how did a brain make itself from scratch...do brains just start out as nothing ?...what brained a brain into existence? and did that what ever brained the brain into existence have a brain/mind to do so?
Something clever should go here.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Imagine as if this was a dream

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:54 am

placid wrote:One doesn't remember anything while conscious either, simply because no one is conscious.
One cannot know anything before one already knows, it is only as one recalls it from memory as knowledge on demand. Consciousness is this living dead.
I'll bet you're the life of the party.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Imagine as if this was a dream

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:58 am

placid wrote:The elephant in the living room is not always obvious to some people.
It'll be obvious to everyone if you don't keep on top of the poo clean-up. At least, the elephant itself may not be obvious, but everyone will be able to infer the existence of the elephant from the large piles of elephant poo in your living room.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Imagine as if this was a dream

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:04 am

placid wrote:I don't believe I have a brain
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
:strawman:
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28315
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Imagine as if this was a dream

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:33 am

placid wrote: Don't get me wrong,
You previously said that we all create our own realities. Therefore what you say doesn't actually matter does it?

You really don't believe in your own spammed religious crap do you?
:lol:

User avatar
oppressor
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:25 am

Imagine if life was a dream

Postby oppressor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:31 am

May I ask you placid..

placid wrote:No person is completely aware. A person is a dreamt character

1- How do you differ person from dream character? And if you can, tell me what is the difference, and even IF you can differ and tell the difference, that would simple change the concept (person) to (dream character) and by all means you would HAVE to call dream characters aware, because that's how we differ from unawareness (such as fainting or sleeping, or deep unawareness such as coma)

2- If a person is fainting in front of you, you are not going to do anything right? because you don't know how to differ unaware from aware. You only know about unawareness because of awareness, and it's personal awareness, Have you ever seen objects aware? Talking to you? Have you ever seen the space between you and a car becoming fluid? No.

placid wrote:Who you are is right here sitting at the very edge of life not knowing what is going to happen next. The brain is the recorder replaying the event after the event is over. Recordings are not real, biology is.

3- You use analogies of cameras, dreams and "recording" to a person's self, Why do you do that and what is your excuses to do that? Do any analogies apply to anything you want to discuss? I can use analogies in favor of a complete opposite philosophy, in favor of the self, existence, which one will be the right one, yours or mine?

placid wrote:The main illusion that seems to be very persistent is that there is an experiencer of life. The example of pain for instance, yes, pain is real enough, but the experiencer of pain or even the pain itself has no known source that can be pinned down or captured. The one experiencing pain....

4- Ok, now I will solve your confused paradox.
How do you differ 'experiencer' from non-experiencer?? How would it be like to be an experiencer of pain in contrary to not be an experiencer of pain? For example: If someone punches your face you feel the pain, right? Yes. Tell me how it would be like to be an experiencer of pain in opposite of not being an experiencer of pain? How it would be like to find what you want to find? If you can't say, you have no reason to assume you are not the experiencer of the pain, because you have nothing to compare it to. (Please understand the question before repeating that you can't find what I'm asking you to do). The paradox is solved here. You have a brain, the brain does not do anything. The pain does not do anything, it's only a reaction, someone feels the pain in opposite of nothing, that someone is you, there is no need to confuse it, it's language for the sake of communication.

placid wrote:There is only here everywhere?

5- If there was only there, here wouldn't exist. Your here is not the same as my here. Can't you agree with this? If not, then tell me how am I able to not be in the same place as you are?


placid wrote:No, it's just that some people have only got golf ball sized consciousnesses.
When you make yourself a ''thing'' you become very small.

6- You claim we say we are things, but no, we say no such thing. we are individuals.
If you are a "non individual", tell me how you still a thing person inside a house typing about nothing, you and everything?


Now I want to understand what you mean by who you are is not something... it's not separated from everything.. you claiming to be no one or nothing, and then claiming to be one with everything and of it not separeted??? What do you mean?? Assuming you are a person posting in a forum that has other members)

Are you by all means quoting this?
"In ignorance I am something, in understanding I am nothing, in love I am everything - Rupert Spira"

If so, tell me why is Rupert Spira sitting his ass, asking money for his takings?


Return to “Brain, Mind, & Consciousness”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests