What does the phrase "If you meet the Buddha in a road, kill him" mean?

What you think about how you think.
placid
Frequent Poster

What does the phrase "If you meet the Buddha in a road, kill him" mean?

Postby placid » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:22 am

You are all One Buddha Nature.

A Reflection of the Unseen... you cannot see yourself directly, if you could you would disappear, as you do not exist separately. An ice cube in a glass of water appears to live a separate existence apart from the water, but on merging with the water it slowly evaporates until it totally disappears.

Everyone can be used in your life as a Buddha, since life is the guru, the teacher, the Buddha, and even people acting badly are lessons to each of us and chances to practice love even if those people aren't acting right.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Re: What does the phrase "If you meet the Buddha in a road, kill him" mean?

Postby Monster » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:30 pm

placid wrote:You are all One Buddha Nature.

A Reflection of the Unseen... you cannot see yourself directly, if you could you would disappear, as you do not exist separately. An ice cube in a glass of water appears to live a separate existence apart from the water, but on merging with the water it slowly evaporates until it totally disappears.

Everyone can be used in your life as a Buddha, since life is the guru, the teacher, the Buddha, and even people acting badly are lessons to each of us and chances to practice love even if those people aren't acting right.

You didn't explain what the phrase "If you meet the Buddha in a road, kill him" means. And if everybody in my life is a Buddha, and the phrase says to kill Buddha, are you saying that the person who made that phrase wants each of us to constantly murder other people?
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster

Postby Cadmusteeth » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:50 pm

Yeah, the explination doesn't seem to match the phrase coherently.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:14 pm

Cadmusteeth wrote:Yeah, the explination doesn't seem to match the phrase coherently.

That's kinda what placid does isn't it?
I read the book with this title, but I've forgotten how it answers the question. The second half of the book starts talking about therapy for sex offenders, which is weird.

The book Siddhartha might be a better way to answer it anyway. Siddhartha meets a man who claims to be an incarnation of the Buddha, but finds the guy can't answer some simple questions about life. So he makes a declaration about his life, kinda like what placid says in the OP. Of course placid misses the good part as always, where Siddhartha is near the end of his life, sitting on a bridge watching the river go by and thinking of all his misadventures, his excesses and his fasting, the child he had then abandoned, and sees himself as part of the flow. Placid sees the flow then says, I'm special, I see the flow, therefore I am not part of it, I'm better than you and you should listen to me and I don't need to listen to you.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:31 pm

Monster wrote:
placid wrote:You are all One Buddha Nature.

You didn't explain what the phrase "If you meet the Buddha in a road, kill him" means. And if everybody in my life is a Buddha, and the phrase says to kill Buddha, are you saying that the person who made that phrase wants each of us to constantly murder other people?

Please do not take the message literally, it is a metaphor for this immediate self shinning all pervasive beingness,oneness,consciousness or god, what ever you want to call it. Buddhahood is your natural state, a baby in the womb is the perfect example of pure buddhahood in it's natural state before the baby becomes identified with it's name creating the illusion we call duality or separateness. The people in your life are of the same one consciousness wearing a different suit that's all. No one ever becomes enlightened, you are already enlightened.

The Buddha you meet is not the true Buddha, but an expression of your longing. If this Buddha is not killed he will only stand in your way to seeing your real self. The ice cube analogy was a good pointer, when the ice cube merges with the water, it realises it was only ever water, there never was an ice cube, it was only ever the water appearing to itself in the form of an ice cube, it's the same one self appearing as a different unique state of being as a pattern of energy condensed to a slow vibration which is all sourced from the same energy.

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:42 pm

Lausten wrote: Placid sees the flow then says, I'm special, I see the flow, therefore I am not part of it, I'm better than you and you should listen to me and I don't need to listen to you.

No, that's not what placid says that's what you say. These are your thoughts only, not mine. And that is why you bore me to death.

I'm not asking anyone to listen to my words. If people respond genuinely like Monster & Cadmusteeth have done then that is a positive.

Don't listen to my words, rather see what they are pointing at.....to see the logos is inherent within all of us.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:47 pm

Here are some words to calm you placid, from Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse

They listened. Softly sounded the river, singing in many voices. Siddhartha looked into the water, and images appeared to him in the moving water: his father appeared, lonely, mourning for his son; he himself appeared, lonely, he also being tied with the bondage of yearning to his distant son; his son appeared, lonely as well, the boy, greedily rushing along the burning course of his young wishes, each one heading for his goal, each one obsessed by the goal, each one suffering. The river sang with a voice of suffering, longingly it sang, longingly, it flowed towards its goal, lamentingly its voice sang.

... then later, after taking all this in...

In this hour, Siddhartha stopped fighting his fate, stopped suffering. On his face flourished the cheerfulness of a knowledge, which is no longer opposed by any will, which knows perfection, which is in agreement with the flow of events, with the current of life, full of sympathy for the pain of others, full of sympathy for the pleasure of others, devoted to the flow, belonging to the oneness.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:03 pm

placid, the confused hippy wrote: And that is why you bore me to death.
Which member here doesn't bore you to death Placid? What? We all bore you to death? Well it's then time for you to leave isn't it?

placid, the confused hippy wrote: I'm not asking anyone to listen to my words.
Then stop posting in this forum.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:01 am

It means you've met someone pretending to be Buddha, and you should kill him for being a fake.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:39 pm

Since Buddha is long dead, I suppose it means that you have come across road kill. So run over him again to tenderize the meat before cooking.

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:54 pm

TJrandom wrote:Since Buddha is long dead, I suppose it means that you have come across road kill. So run over him again to tenderize the meat before cooking.

No Buddha cannot run over the same Buddha twice.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:52 am

placid wrote: No Buddha cannot run over the same Buddha twice.
That's not true. The buddha was meditating and had a real urge to eat two Hershey Bars. He asked one of his young novices to run to the shop for him, but the novice refused. The Buddha went to the shop but forgot to buy two Hershey Bars, so the Buddha had to go back to the shop. When the head monk asked where the Budda was, the novice said "I refused to run over to the shop for the Buddha, so he has run over himself, twice".

E8FB8627D18346368A434EC5F175B234.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:27 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
That's not true. The buddha was meditating and had a real urge to eat two Hershey Bars. He asked one of his young novices to run to the shop for him, but the novice refused. The Buddha went to the shop but forgot to buy two Hershey Bars, so the Buddha had to go back to the shop. When the head monk asked where the Budda was, the novice said "I refused to run over to the shop for the Buddha, so he has run over himself, twice".

That was good.... :P

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:38 am

TJrandom wrote:That was good.... :P

Q. What did the Buddhist say to the sandwich vendor at the ball game?
A. Make me one with everything!

Wisdom of the Buddha
Buddha's novice is on one side of a raging river. There are no bridges. He has no boat. He shouts out to the Buddha on the opposite bank. “How do I get to the other side?” The Buddha shouts back: “You are on the other side.”

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:05 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:

Sorry this is incorrect.

Correction.... you cannot run over the self twice, because there is no self.
The world is given to me only once.

Go figure?

Look forward to your reply Matt :mrgreen:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:22 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:That's not true. The buddha was meditating and had a real urge to eat two Hershey Bars. He asked one of his young novices to run to the shop for him, but the novice refused. The Buddha went to the shop but forgot to buy two Hershey Bars, so the Buddha had to go back to the shop. When the head monk asked where the Budda was, the novice said "I refused to run over to the shop for the Buddha, so he has run over himself, twice".
placid wrote:Sorry this is incorrect.

Kung-Fu.jpg

placid wrote:Correction.... you cannot run over the self twice, because there is no self. The world is given to me only once.
Well if you have no self, then no one gave you anything. It also pisses off the deliveryman reading the delivery docket .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:29 am

Matthew Ellard wrote: Well if you have no self, then no one gave you anything. It also pisses off the deliveryman reading the delivery docket .

Nothing belongs to you.... not the reading or your birth. :cry:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:50 am

placid wrote:The world is given to me only once.
placid wrote:Nothing belongs to you....
You live in a state of permanent confusion don't you? You contradict yourself, get frustrated and then delete all your posts and then start again by immediately contradicting yourself?

Is this your endless Buddhist cycle?

:D

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:21 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
You live in a state of permanent confusion don't you? You contradict yourself, get frustrated and then delete all your posts and then start again by immediately contradicting yourself?

Is this your endless Buddhist cycle?

Please try to post to the topic content not the imagined 'I'

That which appears to be confused is never confused.

That which appears to contradict is not contrary. There are no opposites in nature, reality is one undivided seamless whole. Words are dual in nature, the mind that divides cannot be made whole again by the mind, the mind can do amazing things but it takes one to be out of their mind to reach the genie-us...ponder that?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:40 am

ponder that? Since that doesn`t exist, there is nothing to ponder.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:44 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
You live in a state of permanent confusion don't you?

Yes he does.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:11 am

The world is given to me only once.

Nothing belongs to you....
Matt
You live in a state of permanent confusion don't you?

Let's try to explain the clarity of Nonduality for your amusement.

The world is given to me only once. (meaning.....the world is appearing as itself to itself which is Oneness, Now.
It is not given to you- it is you.

Oneness doesn't know it exists, it is not conscious of such a state, .... knowing only becomes known when the knowing is reflected, enter the conscious state aka oneness aware of itself,self-aware...same one,... now we have ''knowing''.
This knowing is not known by anything outside of the knowing itself, because there is nothing there, the knowing is known by the only knowing there is which is conscious awareness one with the knowing.
When awareness oneness knows sensation consciousness is born ( the known)....aka the mind....enter twoness.
Now since the mind cannot be located or seen, we have no other choice but to assume everything is imagined. This is oneness explained the only way it can via duality.

Moving on.....

Nothing belongs to you. (meaning.....nothing can belong to you, because you are nothing, you cannot re-own what you already own. The concept''nothing'' is not what you think it is.. ''nothing is actually everything'', nothing is equivalent to everything - you are that..

You are awareness first and foremost, you are prior to the mind, you are prior to thought. Awareness is nothing and everything aka infinity , that these two concepts 'nothing & everything' appear to be opposites is the illusion, the mind divides what is one and bingo we have two, and the three, and four add infinitum, but that which divides can never be divided because it doesn't actually exist, it's an illusion, a real illusion since appearances are self evident, where do all appearances come from no one knows. All that is known is imagined.

All numbers above zero and one are illusory numbers, they are off shoots of the imagined one- one is the same as zero, all is illusion, a grand illusion. So how does One get to know itself? it knows as and through it's reflection. It reflects as and through itself which is the mind - when it becomes aware of it's reflection, magically, one becomes two, and the mind is born, the unborn is born aka mind which is really unborn, because a mind is just an idea, it only appears to be born, ideas are born, ideas become things, but no thing actually exists except as concept arising in that which is not a concept, every thing is all the same one noumenon bound as phenomena.

A reflection is relative to the one aka awareness. That's the only way one becomes aware it is two. The one cannot be relative to the reflection ... because it is already that. It is the reflection pretending to be two, the reflection is not real, only the one reflecting is real from perspective of the reflection, the seen,.....but even the real is an idea imagined because anything seen is not the seer.

Nothing is equivalent to Everything. Everything and Nothing are the same One. Everything is a reflection of this One, therefore everything is a mirage. Oneness is the seer of itself, the mirage, that there appears to be a seer seeing is the illusion created by that which is seen. But can that which is seen be separated from the seen. Impossible because they are ONE.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:38 pm

Pure BS....

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:44 pm

As long as it has S. That's the relished stuff.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:37 am

placid wrote: Let's try to explain the clarity of Nonduality for your amusement.
Is "non duality" when the Buddha only runs over the Buddha once?
Buddha 6.jpg

That's very sad. Every morning I wake up and its a brand new exciting world, with new things to learn. Why do you think you were so unlucky. Bad Karma for trolling science forums?

placid wrote:Oneness doesn't know it exists,
Dear me. Oneness must be beside itself with anxiety not knowing it even exists. However if Oneness is beside itself, that's really Twoness. Is that another example of duality?

placid wrote:Now since the mind cannot be located or seen
Speak for yourself buddy. I'm using my mind to reply to your post. Are you saying you have lost your mind? (This thread is finally starting to make sense) :D

placid wrote:Nothing belongs to you.
I hand made a very large model tank collection. I doubt anyone else is going to claim them. It's sort of an embarrassing hobby but is part of my "self" and my unique personality. Are you saying you don't have a personality and can't make things for yourself, that interest you. You have never painted, written a song, made a model tank...... That's very sad for you.

placid wrote: All numbers above zero and one are illusory numbers,
So you don't lodge tax returns?

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:08 am

I have it on very good authority that Matthew's model tank collection has been stolen and replaced with replicas so precise that not even Matthew can tell the difference.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:19 am

Poodle wrote:I have it on very good authority that Matthew's model tank collection has been stolen and replaced with replicas so precise that not even Matthew can tell the difference.
Do you mean my replicas are all replicas? Pyrrho!!!! Sort this out immediately!

No man can ever have enough assorted farm tools in 1/35 scale. :D
637-2.jpg

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:14 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
placid wrote: Let's try to explain the clarity of Nonduality for your amusement.
Is "non duality" when the Buddha only runs over the Buddha once?
Buddha 6.jpg

That's very sad. Every morning I wake up and its a brand new exciting world, with new things to learn. Why do you think you were so unlucky. Bad Karma for trolling science forums?

placid wrote:Oneness doesn't know it exists,
Dear me. Oneness must be beside itself with anxiety not knowing it even exists. However if Oneness is beside itself, that's really Twoness. Is that another example of duality?

placid wrote:Now since the mind cannot be located or seen
Speak for yourself buddy. I'm using my mind to reply to your post. Are you saying you have lost your mind? (This thread is finally starting to make sense) :D

placid wrote:Nothing belongs to you.
I hand made a very large model tank collection. I doubt anyone else is going to claim them. It's sort of an embarrassing hobby but is part of my "self" and my unique personality. Are you saying you don't have a personality and can't make things for yourself, that interest you. You have never painted, written a song, made a model tank...... That's very sad for you.

placid wrote: All numbers above zero and one are illusory numbers,
So you don't lodge tax returns?

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:25 pm

The 'I' you refer to is an experience, You are not the experience, you are the experiencing of the experience as and through the body mind computer, which is the vehicle for the one to express itself. There are many computer body mind thingy's,] .... but there is only one programmer.

You're the progammer not the programme. Doubt you'll understand what I mean, but never mind, it's all good in the hood.

Bye the way the one expressing as aka avatar placid ....has made these among other things.....

Avatar placid lives a very fulfilling life. One runs one's own business as well. Self employed.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:16 pm

placid wrote:

The 'I' you refer to is an experience, You are not the experience, you are the experiencing of the experience as and through the body mind computer, which is the vehicle for the one to express itself. There are many computer body mind thingy's,] .... but there is only one programmer.

You're the progammer not the programme. Doubt you'll understand what I mean, but never mind, it's all good in the hood.

Bye the way the one expressing as aka avatar placid ....has made these among other things.....

Avatar placid lives a very fulfilling life. One runs one's own business as well. Self employed.

Ooh, avatar scatlady's bangles and baubles are pretty and very nicely done! But, sadly, still used for advertising and showing off.

Got quite an ego blowing there, eh, stinky?

WWES? (What would Ed say?)

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:58 pm

Poodle wrote:I have it on very good authority that Matthew's model tank collection has been stolen and replaced with replicas so precise that not even Matthew can tell the difference.

Matthew should get some model tanks like Hank Pym's tank keychain in the Ant-Man movie.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:28 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Ooh, avatar scatlady's bangles and baubles are pretty and very nicely done! But,sadly, :( still used for advertising and showing off.

Yep, showing off happens,.... welcome to the greatest show on earth, you have a front row ticket named admit one.

Why do you and Matt keep feeling so sad, :( ...gees relax and take a chill pill already. :D

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:35 pm

Now it's into promoting drugs.

You really have no shame in your delusion, do you...

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:39 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
You really have no shame in your delusion, do you...

The sun is always shining , no matter how the sky appears.

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:48 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Got quite an ego blowing there, eh, stinky?

Big (and small) egos are there because there is the doubt that one is or isn't 'It'

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:58 pm

Proving what that particular New Age spirituality promotes and produces: a batch of conceited, selfish and self-obsessed jerks.

Well, what would one expect. It's religious, after all...

You know you could have your peace by just being peaceful and simply enjoying the good you've got. Perhaps even with some who "see it" your way. Going places and willfully insisting on continuously barking up the wrong tree doesn't do a thing to endear you or help your cause.

Here, found something to go with your Psalms.

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:04 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Proving what that particular New Age spirituality promotes and produces: a batch of conceited, selfish and self-obsessed jerks.

Well, what would one expect. It's religious, after all...

You know you could have your peace by just being peaceful and simply enjoying the good you've got. Perhaps even with some who "see it" your way. Going places and willfully insisting on continuously barking up the wrong tree doesn't do a thing to endear you or help your cause.

Here, found something to go with your Psalms.

This too is an expression of the one self.

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:07 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Perhaps even with some who "see it" your way.

Seeing is only one way....have you ever tried to see the back of your head :lol:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:09 pm

How's the jello where you're at? Has nurse allowed you to have a spoon with it? If so, it's probably one of those of the safe and edible kind.

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:16 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:How's the jello where you're at? Has nurse allowed you to have a spoon with it? If so, it's probably one of those of the safe and edible kind.

The matrix was the first Nondual film to be made I think. Then came Inception .....

to be continued............ this is a new paradigm shift, people are starting to see through the illusion.

Woof Woof!

Return to “Brain, Mind, & Consciousness”