I think I can prove the emotional perception theory of value

God, the FSM, and everything else.
Omniverse
Poster

I think I can prove the emotional perception theory of value

Postby Omniverse » Wed May 02, 2018 10:44 pm

The Emotional Perception Theory Of Value: This is an idea that has recently developed and is popular. It says that our emotions are the perception of value (i.e. the perception of good, bad, beauty, joy, horror, disgust, etc.). But there are many people out there who reject this theory and this topic is an attempt on my part to prove this theory. I will give you a link to it:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs ... 11.00518.x

Here is another link to it:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... 013.826057

I Think I Can Prove The Emotional Perception Theory Of Value: Considering how there are many people out there who disagree with the emotional perceptual theory of value, I think there is a way for me to personally prove it. This is my own personal argument which is an attempt to translate emotions into perceptions of value. Positive emotions are the reward wanting and liking in the brain. When you want something and like something, this means it matters to you.

When something matters to you, this means it is something good or something bad from your perspective. For example, if the loss of your loved one mattered to you or getting a new movie mattered to you, this means those things had value from your perspective.

Positive emotions make things matter to us in good ways and negative emotions make things matter to us in bad ways since positive emotions are the perception of good value and negative emotions are the perception of bad value. Positive emotions make our lives good, negative emotions make our lives bad, and having no emotions (apathy) renders our lives without value. This means emotions are the only way we can truly perceive value.

Now, the only way something can have value to you is if it matters to you. How can you say that helping someone is something good or bad from your perspective if it doesn't matter to you? It makes no sense. A life that doesn't matter to us would, thus, have to be a life that has no value from our perspective. Lastly, here is a link (study) that shows how positive emotions are the reward wanting and liking in the brain:

We have found a special hedonic hotspot that is crucial for reward 'liking' and 'wanting' (and codes reward learning too). The opioid hedonic hotspot is shown in red above. It works together with another hedonic hotspot in the more famous nucleus accumbens to generate pleasure 'liking'.

‘Liking’ and ‘wanting’ food rewards: Brain substrates and roles in eating disorders

Kent C. Berridge 2009 Mar 29.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2717031/

For Those Who Disagree Positive Emotions Are Wanting And Liking: I think there will also be people out there who disagree that positive emotions are a form of wanting and liking. So, here is proof for them. Emotions are a form of motivation. When you have a positive form of motivation to do something, this means you want to do it and like to do it.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: I think I can prove the emotional perception theory of value

Postby Gord » Thu May 03, 2018 12:44 am

Omniverse wrote:The Emotional Perception Theory Of Value: This is an idea that has recently developed and is popular.

Developed by whom? Popular with whom?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu May 03, 2018 10:49 am

I think he confuses `proof` with `conjecture`...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 04, 2018 7:33 am

TJrandom wrote:I think he confuses `proof` with `conjecture`...

I got the twang of confusing proof with "agrees with."........ but, I was skim reading past my maximum speed.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Io
Poster

Postby Io » Fri May 04, 2018 8:17 am

Generally I find you only need to read the first paragraph of any Omniverse post, and by need I mean don't need.

Omniverse wrote:This is an idea that has recently developed

by Omniverse in the 3 minutes preceding the post
Omniverse wrote:and is popular

with Omniverse.
Omniverse wrote:It says that our emotions are the perception of value (i.e. the perception of good, bad, beauty, joy, horror, disgust, etc.)

'Emotions' is how we refer to certain kinds of chemical reactions to certain kinds of stimulus that have gone through the perception filter of conscious and subconscious thought. They are not analogous to perception of anything. Perception is simply part of the process involved in the experience of emotion. The value of something does not necessarily impinge upon the formation of an emotion. It can, but it's not integral by any means.
You'd know this if you spent more time in the real world and less time trying to adopt a pseudo-professorial persona.

Omniverse wrote:an attempt to translate emotions into perceptions of value

This is very very strongly suggestive of bias. You have a crude hypothesis and have gone out looking for things to support it.

Omniverse wrote:Positive emotions make things matter to us in good ways and negative emotions make things matter to us in bad ways since positive emotions are the perception of good value and negative emotions are the perception of bad value.

This is clearly wrong as we've all experienced things we consider positive end results that can be attributed to perceived negative emotions.

Omniverse wrote:We have found a special hedonic hotspot that is crucial for reward 'liking' and 'wanting' (and codes reward learning too). The opioid hedonic hotspot is shown in red above. It works together with another hedonic hotspot in the more famous nucleus accumbens to generate pleasure 'liking'.

Gibberish, and not even entertaining gibberish.

I've got bored with quoting and replying.

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Fri May 04, 2018 1:36 pm

Io wrote:Generally I find you only need to read the first paragraph of any Omniverse post, and by need I mean don't need.

Omniverse wrote:This is an idea that has recently developed

by Omniverse in the 3 minutes preceding the post
Omniverse wrote:and is popular

with Omniverse.
Omniverse wrote:It says that our emotions are the perception of value (i.e. the perception of good, bad, beauty, joy, horror, disgust, etc.)

'Emotions' is how we refer to certain kinds of chemical reactions to certain kinds of stimulus that have gone through the perception filter of conscious and subconscious thought. They are not analogous to perception of anything. Perception is simply part of the process involved in the experience of emotion. The value of something does not necessarily impinge upon the formation of an emotion. It can, but it's not integral by any means.
You'd know this if you spent more time in the real world and less time trying to adopt a pseudo-professorial persona.

Omniverse wrote:an attempt to translate emotions into perceptions of value

This is very very strongly suggestive of bias. You have a crude hypothesis and have gone out looking for things to support it.

Omniverse wrote:Positive emotions make things matter to us in good ways and negative emotions make things matter to us in bad ways since positive emotions are the perception of good value and negative emotions are the perception of bad value.

This is clearly wrong as we've all experienced things we consider positive end results that can be attributed to perceived negative emotions.

Omniverse wrote:We have found a special hedonic hotspot that is crucial for reward 'liking' and 'wanting' (and codes reward learning too). The opioid hedonic hotspot is shown in red above. It works together with another hedonic hotspot in the more famous nucleus accumbens to generate pleasure 'liking'.

Gibberish, and not even entertaining gibberish.

I've got bored with quoting and replying.

First of all, I see no contradiction when I said this was a recently developed idea and that it's popular. Second, if you felt a negative emotion and thought that you were perceiving good value in your life, you still wouldn't because thinking of value is not the same thing as perceiving value. Our emotions are the perception of value and our intellect cannot be any real perception of value. Lastly, my own personal experience also says that emotions are the perception of value. My personal experience was something powerful and profound.

No thought or idea alone can allow me to perceive/experience the sheer beauty and joy my positive emotions have brought my life and neither can it allow me to experience the sheer horror of my emotional traumas. I clearly notice that my emotions make things matter to me. When something matters to me, that's no different than saying I perceive value in regards to those things. So, from my own keen sense of introspection, it's quite obvious to me that emotions really are the perception of value that give my life value.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Sat May 05, 2018 4:42 am

Gord wrote:
Omniverse wrote:The Emotional Perception Theory Of Value: This is an idea that has recently developed and is popular.

:heyup:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Sat May 05, 2018 2:29 pm

Gord wrote:
Gord wrote:

:heyup:

I don't know. It just said that in the 2nd link because it says "A popular idea at present."

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Sun May 06, 2018 12:37 am

Oh. Well then, try this article: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/emotion/
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Belief, Nonbelief, and Philosophy”