Important notice to everyone

God, the FSM, and everything else.
User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby digress » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:55 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:[color=#000080]Omniverse is already a sock puppet of Matt MVS7 who has repeatedly threatened to commit suicide, which is a banning offense.. While you were away Pyrrho stated he would not take action unless another member requested as such. No one has done that here ....yet.


I don't understand. I hadn't seen anything like that in this thread. Did Omniverse divulge to you this information and make these threats on this forum board? Because threatening to kill oneself over a discussion here should immediately be reported and closed. If someone replied to me that they were going to kill themselves over my reply I'd not want them to be able to continue participating in that discussion. That's really sick.
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby digress » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:03 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Are you talking about internet platforms in general or SSF specifically, digress? I'm asking because you surely must have noticed that Pyrrho does pretty much what you adopted into your signature and if people are banned, it's for violation of clearly posted rules. And more often than not for repeated offenses and after having been asked to forego such behavior.


In my experience the biggest offense of this was a user I recall named Shaka. Who came here spreading his philosophies on these boards and was first ridiculed, and later slandered by members here, on the basis they were tired of running into his feedback. Continuing to provoke the member into a complete defensive, & slandering back, and later being reported for it. I took part in many of those discussions and never did I receive a dirty response from Shaka until perhaps he was on the brink of his ban, fighting off the terrible amount of hate on here which nobody should have to go through.

There have been other less extreme examples such as yrreg and yes, some posters go out of control for no reason (nmbr? a user i had long discussions with about jesus), but in the time I've spent here it's more likely than not an experience like Shaka had.

Some of these people might be devout follows of Depok or Mckenna or Jesus or anybody else many skeptics find profane. But it is not a reason to treat the well as if it has been poisoned. These people are here for a reason and to turn them away is like throwing the opportunity for change out the window. Do we want to build walls or practice civil discussion?
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 pm

While I agree with the practice of civil discussion, "Shaka*'s" history is only part of that of a sockpuppet master who currently seems to be posting here as "Confidencia". AFAIK, the user never was fully banned (even though s/he pushed the envelope quite hard), otherwise his/her sockpuppets wouldn't be allowed to still post here.


I also feel there's quite a difference between those seeking true communication and those who are merely spamming trolls.



* Also known as "banny". ;)
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby digress » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Confidencia wrote:They are not the same but they tend to foster each other. Besides it is not the minds quality that is in question but its tendency. If left to its own devices mind will see what it wants to see and not what it ought to see.


Yes. So don't leave it alone. I'm glad to see we've gone full circle back to my note to quiet the mind when the need arises.
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26383
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:52 pm

digress wrote: I don't understand. I hadn't seen anything like that in this thread.
Omniverse aka Matt MVS7 aka Kamil aka Anthony aka ten other names has started over sixty threads. (He was banned from Rational Skeptics for starting new threads Would you like a list?

digress wrote:Did Omniverse divulge to you this information and make these threats on this forum board?
Yes. Would you like a list? He tells different stories on different forums. On rational skeptic he claimed to have been raped as a five year old. On the psych forum that he is a silver spoon millionaire, on other forums that he is musical genius and so on and so on...

digress wrote:That's really sick.
It's worse than that. He trolls children's forums for gratification. We put pressure on him here and he immediately started posting on children's forums again to seek relief. Would you like to see that thread?

Of general interest it was a team of video game reviewers who first picked up on Matt MSV7 trolling children's video forums, luring them with bad music videos, that matched him to a 29 year old adult troll three years ago. They made a 30 minute video. Would you like to see it?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26383
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:04 pm

digress wrote:In my experience the biggest offense of this was a user I recall named Shaka.
Shaka aka Clarifyit4me aka five other names is still here, currently using the new name Confidencia.

He is trolling the forum to spam his religious non-dualism propaganda and changes his forum name every time he gets caught lying and simply starts off again. He is the most stupid of all as he uses exactly the same vocabulary, phrasing and reverts to insulting skeptics just before changing his name. Currently Confidencia is in the insulting skeptics phase and thus will soon change his name again.


digress wrote:..or McKenna. But it is not a reason to treat the well as if it has been poisoned.
Zeuzzz was the McKenna fan. Zeuzzz tried to prove us all wrong and took the drug DMT based on his own bull-shit belief system. He even started a thread on taking DMT. Zeuzz died in his sleep in December 2016 from an overdose. We tried to stop him.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22001&start=1920#p557991

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby digress » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:45 am

Omniverse wrote:Since you are listening to and taking consideration my theory unlike many others here, then I will present the rest of my theory to you. It is very brief this time:

Additional Note: If, let's pretend, that I was telepathic and I could only communicate feelings rather than thoughts, then if I were to telepathically send you a feeling that I got from a certain character, you would be able to describe the attributes of this character to me. You would tell me that this character is beautiful, a joyful god or goddess out on a heavenly tropical adventure, etc. This clearly proves that our positive and negative emotions possess intrinsic qualities. Many people think they don't. They think it is all a matter of our value judgment that determines whether something is beautiful, good, or horrible to us. I am here to challenge this notion. I think it can only be our emotions that can make things beautiful or horrible to us.

Final Statement: This whole idea/theory of mine is a theory that could change the world. That is the reason why it is vital that I go in great length to fully discuss it. We currently rely on our value judgments to give perceptual value to our lives and I have every reason to think this is the wrong method. It is a theory that would help encourage others to find cures for depression and other illnesses that take away our positive emotions. I think a book needs to be published on this very subject that I have learned from my own struggles with depression and misery in my life. After all, where would we be without our positive emotions? If you were to perform a positive emotional expression such as closing your eyes in a profound stature at the wondrous sight of nature, but you were to have no positive emotion whatsoever, then this would be a contradiction. You would be forcing a certain expression that does not reflect your state of mind.

Likewise, all other positive emotional expressions such as helping others, making the best of life, thinking that you are perceiving value in your life, etc. in the absence of your positive emotions would not reflect your state of mind either. Therefore, that is why I find this whole value judgment version of perceptual value to be a contradiction because it says that you don't need your positive emotions in order to perceive value towards the helping of others and in making the best of life. This would have to mean that, the only thoughts and expressions that can truly reflect an apathetic state of mind would be those of a mere droid. What kind of life would that be? It's no way to live. Likewise, the only expressions and thoughts that can truly reflect a negative emotional state of mind would be negative thoughts and expressions.

So, how is it then that depressed and apathetic people are still able to have these positive thoughts of value in their lives and display these positive tones and expressions in the absence of their positive emotions? It would be due to the fact that they are deluded. They are forcing themselves to make the best of life anyway without their positive emotions and they think that is somehow a good and worthwhile life to them when it is not. These forceful expressions have become so natural to them that they are fooled into thinking their lives really are good to them. Or it could be the case that these depressed and apathetic people have, at least, a small amount of positive emotions to give them a small perceptual amount of value in their lives.


You want to challenge your notion. A notion that will change the world. If your notion will change the world then you don't need to put it through the ringer. You'd know this without question because it would have transformed you in ways you previously wouldn't have known possible. But instead you treat this notion like a boxing match. Believing that if you can go enough rounds without falling you will be able to declare yourself champion.

I cannot participate in this fiasco. You will win precisely at the moment you believe you have won. When this happens you will be victorious. I know it.

I have one last thing to say on this topic to help you or any reader out there. Emotions do display an intrinsic quality. You don't need to play make-believe to understand this. Simply put, would you rather feel happy or sad? The answer is happy, every time. But good or bad, happy or sad; emotions are only related to experience. They are not the source. I will give you one example.

Today I was driving on the freeway on my way home and I was stuck in traffic. It was absolutely jam-packed with cars bumper to bumper. I'm stuck on my exits off-ramp and I could see the cars ahead that as space let up they would stay very tightly knit behind the car in front of them as to not let up any room. Perhaps they were afraid another car would cut in front and they would be that much further away from their destination, but I can only speculate. I was sitting in my car completely at peace with the situation. This isn't like a picture of a person meditating, eyes closed, on top of a rock, empty minded. No, quite the contrary my eyes were wide open, engaged, thought intact, though still I was in a way meditating. It wasn't long before more space let up in front of me and I would ease into driving forward. Not race to it like the others. And in that moment a car merged into the lane directly in front of me. No emotion was present. I did not grit my teeth or sigh heavily. I had no concerns. Though my mind was chatting away, as it tends to do. I thought, did I do something good just now? And I thought, Should I care? I thought these things and many more but ignored them. I didn't care because I was in such an intense state of peace I had zero concerns. It was a lovely traffic jam.
Last edited by digress on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby digress » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:06 am

@scrmbldggs

Is it necessary to call a poster stupid or idiotic, crazy, incapable, uneducated, or a troll in order to keep a discussion positive? I'm not referring to ridicule, though that is how it always starts. I mean to say when it turns into down right slander. How are these things necessary? Please explain.

If they are not necessary then I submit they are in bad taste and reflect a lack of composure, for reasons I previously stated. (ie, take time to calm down, its a post and not a live conversation)

@Matthew Ellard

I am only a member of this board. I cannot speak of discussion that exists outside this board and its rules. Whatever Zeuzz did was within the realm of Zeuzz, not this board. If he posted tomorrow I would not slander him as being as dumb as a zombie. I would listen to what he had to say and then address that topic. Here on skepticforum.com only. Because it doesn't matter who's behind the post. All that matters here is the information we disseminate to each other.
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:45 am

digress wrote:@scrmbldggs

Is it necessary to call a poster stupid or idiotic, crazy, incapable, uneducated, or a troll in order to keep a discussion positive? I'm not referring to ridicule, though that is how it always starts. I mean to say when it turns into down right slander. How are these things necessary? Please explain.

If they are not necessary then I submit they are in bad taste and reflect a lack of composure, for reasons I previously stated. (ie, take time to calm down, its a post and not a live conversation)

Not necessary, no. But also not ban worthy, unless taken to the extreme (and violating forum rules). And that's what my response was about, an - as I saw it - unjustified complaint about a nonexistent "banning habit", so to speak.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Omniverse
Poster
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:09 am

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Omniverse » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:14 am

digress wrote:
Omniverse wrote:Since you are listening to and taking consideration my theory unlike many others here, then I will present the rest of my theory to you. It is very brief this time:

Additional Note: If, let's pretend, that I was telepathic and I could only communicate feelings rather than thoughts, then if I were to telepathically send you a feeling that I got from a certain character, you would be able to describe the attributes of this character to me. You would tell me that this character is beautiful, a joyful god or goddess out on a heavenly tropical adventure, etc. This clearly proves that our positive and negative emotions possess intrinsic qualities. Many people think they don't. They think it is all a matter of our value judgment that determines whether something is beautiful, good, or horrible to us. I am here to challenge this notion. I think it can only be our emotions that can make things beautiful or horrible to us.

Final Statement: This whole idea/theory of mine is a theory that could change the world. That is the reason why it is vital that I go in great length to fully discuss it. We currently rely on our value judgments to give perceptual value to our lives and I have every reason to think this is the wrong method. It is a theory that would help encourage others to find cures for depression and other illnesses that take away our positive emotions. I think a book needs to be published on this very subject that I have learned from my own struggles with depression and misery in my life. After all, where would we be without our positive emotions? If you were to perform a positive emotional expression such as closing your eyes in a profound stature at the wondrous sight of nature, but you were to have no positive emotion whatsoever, then this would be a contradiction. You would be forcing a certain expression that does not reflect your state of mind.

Likewise, all other positive emotional expressions such as helping others, making the best of life, thinking that you are perceiving value in your life, etc. in the absence of your positive emotions would not reflect your state of mind either. Therefore, that is why I find this whole value judgment version of perceptual value to be a contradiction because it says that you don't need your positive emotions in order to perceive value towards the helping of others and in making the best of life. This would have to mean that, the only thoughts and expressions that can truly reflect an apathetic state of mind would be those of a mere droid. What kind of life would that be? It's no way to live. Likewise, the only expressions and thoughts that can truly reflect a negative emotional state of mind would be negative thoughts and expressions.

So, how is it then that depressed and apathetic people are still able to have these positive thoughts of value in their lives and display these positive tones and expressions in the absence of their positive emotions? It would be due to the fact that they are deluded. They are forcing themselves to make the best of life anyway without their positive emotions and they think that is somehow a good and worthwhile life to them when it is not. These forceful expressions have become so natural to them that they are fooled into thinking their lives really are good to them. Or it could be the case that these depressed and apathetic people have, at least, a small amount of positive emotions to give them a small perceptual amount of value in their lives.


You want to challenge your notion. A notion that will change the world. If your notion will change the world then you don't need to put it through the ringer. You'd know this without question because it would have transformed you in ways you previously wouldn't have known possible. But instead you treat this notion like a boxing match. Believing that if you can go enough rounds without falling you will be able to declare yourself champion.

I cannot participate in this fiasco. You will win precisely at the moment you believe you have won. When this happens you will be victorious. I know it.

I have one last thing to say on this topic to help you or any reader out there. Emotions do display an intrinsic quality. You don't need to play make-believe to understand this. Simply put, would you rather feel happy or sad? The answer is happy, every time. But good or bad, happy or sad; emotions are only related to experience. They are not the source. I will give you one example.

Today I was driving on the freeway on my way home and I was stuck in traffic. It was absolutely jam-packed with cars bumper to bumper. I'm stuck on my exits off-ramp and I could see the cars ahead that as space let up they would stay very tightly knit behind the car in front of them as to not let up any room. Perhaps they were afraid another car would cut in front and they would be that much further away from their destination, but I can only speculate. I was sitting in my car completely at peace with the situation. This isn't like a picture of a person meditating, eyes closed, on top of a rock, empty minded. No, quite the contrary my eyes were wide open, engaged, thought intact, though still I was in a way meditating. It wasn't long before more space let up in front of me and I would ease into driving forward. Not race to it like the others. And in that moment a car merged into the lane directly in front of me. No emotion was present. I did not grit my teeth or sigh heavily. I had no concerns. Though my mind was chatting away, as it tends to do. I thought, did I do something good just now? And I thought, Should I care? I thought these things and many more but ignored them. I didn't care because I was in such an intense state of peace I had zero concerns. It was a lovely traffic jam.


I just said it could be possible that my theory is world changing. I do not know that yet. Also, I think peace can only be a positive emotional state. Without emotions, then you can only be in a state that is described as neutral or living your life like a droid. The fact of the matter is, there is no intrinsic quality of peace or contentment in a state without emotions. You would just be using a value judgment in saying that you were in a state of peace. But, again, the actual intrinsic quality of your mental state possessed no peace or contentment. Peace and contentment are positive terms and since it can only be our positive emotions that possess the intrinsic positive quality, then positive emotions can be the only source of peace and contentment. Furthermore, you are attributing a good value judgment when you say that it was a lovely traffic jam. This contradicts what you said earlier in regards to how you don't care about whether something is good in your life. You said you didn't care about whether you did something good just now and that contradicts what you said after that. Let me add one last thing here. That is, I title my philosophy "Soul Vision" and I will tell you why. It is just a spiritual analogy, but go with it anyway:

There are objects and sound waves out there. But the only way we can perceive them would be through sight and hearing. Likewise, things, moments, and situations in our lives hold values. In order to perceive these values, then that requires your emotions. In a way, you could consider emotions to be a sense. They are a higher sense that transcends our biological senses. Going by my spiritual analogy, they would be our divine and spiritual sense. The positive emotions would be the divine spiritual sense. However, the negative emotions would be our dark spiritual sense. Just like how a blind person cannot make himself see anything by believing and thinking he can see objects, we cannot see the values in our lives by thinking we can see them in the absence of our emotions. If a person were to create a magnificent character, then the magnificent light energy is there.

If I were to get a positive emotion from that character, then it would be like I am sensing the spiritual life energy of that character. I would literally feel all the beautiful and magnificent attributes of him or her. It would be the divine light giving me a powerful and transcended perception. Just as how a psychic has a spiritual sense that allows him to enter the spirit realm which is a whole new mental realm than our physical, perceived reality, we as human beings enter the mental realm of good values through our positive emotions and the realm of bad values through our negative emotions. It is through our emotions that we either enter a spiritual state of paradise or a state of hell. From my own personal experience, feelings of hopelessness and misery due to an emotionally traumatic event are the worst hell and worst forms of spiritual darkness.
Last edited by Omniverse on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8122
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Poodle » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:32 am

Digress, I've lived a long time now and, in all of those years, there have been idiots. There are those who are idiotic because they're simple souls, and there are those who are idiotic because they choose to be. It's the second group which is of interest. It contains all manner of charlatan, psychopath and axe-grinder, and all species of self-interest. Sometimes, those people are in it for the laughs and sometimes they're in it for perceived power.
Scattered around the world, there are also groups of innocents - poorly educated or gullible or plain nutty people who do not deserve to have their heads screwed with by the groups of arseholes described earlier. The teensy-weensy thing that can be achieved by sites like this is to take their arguments and pulverise them whilst at the same time making the proponents look ridiculous. This is often not achievable by making simple statements to the effect "You are wrong" because those people have learned how to say "No, I'm not". But get them annoyed, and they'll come out with all manner of stupid statement for the world to see. They openly display their ignorance, which is the best possible thing they can do. And yes - simple insult (backed up by superior knowledge) is often the origin of that capitulation.
Take another look at the forum content - it's happened many times. It may not be pure, but it ain't half effective.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Confidencia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:04 am

digress wrote:
Confidencia wrote:They are not the same but they tend to foster each other. Besides it is not the minds quality that is in question but its tendency. If left to its own devices mind will see what it wants to see and not what it ought to see.


Yes. So don't leave it alone. I'm glad to see we've gone full circle back to my note to quiet the mind when the need arises.


And where do you think the idea that there is somebody there to quiet the mind comes from? It is the mind telling you that there is a mind. The need is your mind, you need not have to pay any attention to something that only appears when the need arises. There are only desires, in reality you have no needs.

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby digress » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:29 am

Omniverse wrote:I just said it could be possible that my theory is world changing. I do not know that yet. Also, I think peace can only be a positive emotional state. Without emotions, then you can only be in a state that is described as neutral or living your life like a droid. The fact of the matter is, there is no intrinsic quality of peace or contentment in a state without emotions. You would just be using a value judgment in saying that you were in a state of peace. But, again, the actual intrinsic quality of your mental state possessed no peace or contentment. Peace and contentment are positive terms and since it can only be our positive emotions that possess the intrinsic positive quality, then positive emotions can be the only source of peace and contentment. Furthermore, you are attributing a good value judgment when you say that it was a lovely traffic jam. This contradicts what you said earlier in regards to how you don't care about whether something is good in your life. You said you didn't care about whether you did something good just now and that contradicts what you said after that. Let me add one last thing here. That is, I title my philosophy "Soul Vision" and I will tell you why. It is just a spiritual analogy, but go with it anyway:\

There are objects and sound waves out there. But the only way we can perceive them would be through sight and hearing. Likewise, things, moments, and situations in our lives hold values. In order to perceive these values, then that requires your emotions. In a way, you could consider emotions to be a sense. They are a higher sense that transcends our biological senses. Going by my spiritual analogy, they would be our divine and spiritual sense. The positive emotions would be the divine spiritual sense. However, the negative emotions would be our dark spiritual sense. Just like how a blind person cannot make himself see anything by believing and thinking he can see objects, we cannot see the values in our lives by thinking we can see them in the absence of our emotions. If a person were to create a magnificent character, then the magnificent light energy is there.

If I were to get a positive emotion from that character, then it would be like I am sensing the spiritual life energy of that character. I would literally feel all the beautiful and magnificent attributes of him or her. It would be the divine light giving me a powerful and transcended perception. Just as how a psychic has a spiritual sense that allows him to enter the spirit realm which is a whole new mental realm than our physical, perceived reality, we as human beings enter the mental realm of good values through our positive emotions and the realm of bad values through our negative emotions. It is through our emotions that we either enter a spiritual state of paradise or a state of hell. From my own personal experience, feelings of hopelessness and misery due to an emotionally traumatic event are the worst hell and worst forms of spiritual darkness.


I didn't contradict myself because you've confused the details within my story as being the same as the end results. We call this act reflecting.

I could say a great many more things. Instead I wish you divine spiritual analogous, may the character light of spirit realms that enter mental realms transcend on your biological sensory things.
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby digress » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:40 am

Confidencia wrote:And where do you think the idea that there is somebody there to quiet the mind comes from? It is the mind telling you that there is a mind. The need is your mind, you need not have to pay any attention to something that only appears when the need arises. There are only desires, in reality you have no needs.


I can't tell you how I got here yet you want to discuss where I'm from!?!? :O

My mind hasn't taught me a thing about it. It's only when I'm attempting to communicate does this thing called the mind strut around like it owns the place. Without a discussion to contextualize itself it becomes about as insightful as an itch I need to scratch.
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Confidencia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:59 am

digress wrote:
Confidencia wrote:And where do you think the idea that there is somebody there to quiet the mind comes from? It is the mind telling you that there is a mind. The need is your mind, you need not have to pay any attention to something that only appears when the need arises. There are only desires, in reality you have no needs.


I can't tell you how I got here yet you want to discuss where I'm from!?!? :O

My mind hasn't taught me a thing about it. It's only when I'm attempting to communicate does this thing called the mind strut around like it owns the place. Without a discussion to contextualize itself it becomes about as insightful as an itch I need to scratch.


As long as you are going along with it it need not have to teach you anything. Communication and the exchange of information is the minds domain, I am is the itch and you are the one dreaming of scratching it.

Omniverse
Poster
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:09 am

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Omniverse » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:17 pm

I would kindly direct everyone to my opening post since I have edited in my absolute best summary that summarizes my worldview perfectly.

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby digress » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Confidencia wrote:As long as you are going along with it it need not have to teach you anything. Communication and the exchange of information is the minds domain, I am is the itch and you are the one dreaming of scratching it.


I get what you are saying, but it is poorly communicated. I feel for any other readers pain.
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Confidencia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:24 pm

digress wrote:
Confidencia wrote:As long as you are going along with it it need not have to teach you anything. Communication and the exchange of information is the minds domain, I am is the itch and you are the one dreaming of scratching it.


I get what you are saying, but it is poorly communicated. I feel for any other readers pain.


Again the idea of poor communication is the minds problem. The one who knows will understand.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29114
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Gord » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:13 pm

digress wrote:...I feel for any other readers pain.

Thanks!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:38 pm

Omniverse wrote:Also, I think peace can only be a positive emotional state. Without emotions, then you can only be in a state that is described as neutral or living your life like a droid. The fact of the matter is, there is no intrinsic quality of peace or contentment in a state without emotions. You would just be using a value judgment in saying that you were in a state of peace. But, again, the actual intrinsic quality of your mental state possessed no peace or contentment. Peace and contentment are positive terms and since it can only be our positive emotions that possess the intrinsic positive quality, then positive emotions can be the only source of peace and contentment. Furthermore, you are attributing a good value judgment when you say that it was a lovely traffic jam. This contradicts what you said earlier in regards to how you don't care about whether something is good in your life. You said you didn't care about whether you did something good just now and that contradicts what you said after that.
Omniverse, this is where you and I must agree to disagree...and where I agree with Digress. Let's put all three of us in the same traffic jam and see what happens.

Digress has already described her method for dealing with a situation most people would find frustrating and stressful. That is to say, she made a conscious decision to enjoy the inevitable by changing her perception of the event. Instead of perceiving the traffic jam as a frustrating and stressful event, she chose to perceive it as a zen moment, a time for mindfully enjoying sensory perceptions without judgment, being alone with her thoughts in an environment she chose to perceive as relaxed. Once she made that decision, it was no longer important to rush, because the situation was enjoyable. Digress was not merely making a value judgment about her emotional state; she had bootstrapped herself into said emotional state. Therefore, it was intrinsic.

My turn. I would have also made a conscious decision to change my perception of the event, choosing to consider it as "alone time" to be spent in whatever way I wished. If I'd been alone, I probably would have selected some music to play and fully immersed myself into it, simply tuning out the traffic other than the minimal responses required to move forward. If I'd had a companion, I would have focused on conversation. In either case, the situation would have ceased being frustrating and stressful for me as well. Because instead of an endless traffic jam, my choices to spend the time in an enjoyable way would make the time pass quickly (from my viewpoint).

There is a great deal of power in consciously choosing to change your perception of the events which seem to automatically cause you negative emotions. There is also power in analyzing these automatic emotions, in asking yourself why you are feeling them...and whether you need to do so. These activities lead to emotion regulation, the state where you're no longer reliant on external things, events, ideas, and people for your positive emotions, because you're able to generate those emotions yourself, as needed.

So, what would your reaction be to the traffic jam?
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26383
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:01 am

digress wrote:Whatever Zeuzz did was within the realm of Zeuzz, not this board. If he posted tomorrow I would not slander him as being as dumb as a zombie.
He's dead. He is not going to post tomorrow. I told you that.

He was advising other idiot followers to take he same drugs that killed him. He did that on this forum as well as other forums.

Zeuzzz wrote: I smoked 60mg DMT last night just had to share the experience

Thankfully, he died from an overdose and that information was used to stop his followers repeating his stupidity.

I don't care about your disinterest. If you like watching car crashes and not helping ....then fine.....knock yourself out.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26383
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:12 am

Omniverse wrote:I have one last thing to say on this topic to help you or any reader out there.


Here Omniverse aka Matt MVS7 sings his song about tricking skeptics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUXhSK3XlIw&list=PLyVYnRYQOpIpUFRVHm59-AhLlOIBl0V22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LW2acdO7H4&index=2&list=PLyVYnRYQOpIpUFRVHm59-AhLlOIBl0V22

Omniverse
Poster
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:09 am

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Omniverse » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:29 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Omniverse wrote:Also, I think peace can only be a positive emotional state. Without emotions, then you can only be in a state that is described as neutral or living your life like a droid. The fact of the matter is, there is no intrinsic quality of peace or contentment in a state without emotions. You would just be using a value judgment in saying that you were in a state of peace. But, again, the actual intrinsic quality of your mental state possessed no peace or contentment. Peace and contentment are positive terms and since it can only be our positive emotions that possess the intrinsic positive quality, then positive emotions can be the only source of peace and contentment. Furthermore, you are attributing a good value judgment when you say that it was a lovely traffic jam. This contradicts what you said earlier in regards to how you don't care about whether something is good in your life. You said you didn't care about whether you did something good just now and that contradicts what you said after that.
Omniverse, this is where you and I must agree to disagree...and where I agree with Digress. Let's put all three of us in the same traffic jam and see what happens.

Digress has already described her method for dealing with a situation most people would find frustrating and stressful. That is to say, she made a conscious decision to enjoy the inevitable by changing her perception of the event. Instead of perceiving the traffic jam as a frustrating and stressful event, she chose to perceive it as a zen moment, a time for mindfully enjoying sensory perceptions without judgment, being alone with her thoughts in an environment she chose to perceive as relaxed. Once she made that decision, it was no longer important to rush, because the situation was enjoyable. Digress was not merely making a value judgment about her emotional state; she had bootstrapped herself into said emotional state. Therefore, it was intrinsic.

My turn. I would have also made a conscious decision to change my perception of the event, choosing to consider it as "alone time" to be spent in whatever way I wished. If I'd been alone, I probably would have selected some music to play and fully immersed myself into it, simply tuning out the traffic other than the minimal responses required to move forward. If I'd had a companion, I would have focused on conversation. In either case, the situation would have ceased being frustrating and stressful for me as well. Because instead of an endless traffic jam, my choices to spend the time in an enjoyable way would make the time pass quickly (from my viewpoint).

There is a great deal of power in consciously choosing to change your perception of the events which seem to automatically cause you negative emotions. There is also power in analyzing these automatic emotions, in asking yourself why you are feeling them...and whether you need to do so. These activities lead to emotion regulation, the state where you're no longer reliant on external things, events, ideas, and people for your positive emotions, because you're able to generate those emotions yourself, as needed.

So, what would your reaction be to the traffic jam?


Yes, I am already aware of this. I am already aware of the fact that you can choose certain thoughts and actions that can cause your brain to release those biochemicals to put you into into a positive emotional state whether that state be peace, relaxation, contentment, etc. But where my argument was getting at was a scenario where Digress had no positive emotional state whatsoever and could not put herself in such a state no matter what she thought and did. In that scenario, Digress would just be using a value judgment in saying that she is in a state of peace or contentment. However, she would have no actual state of peace or contentment there. This same idea applies to our value judgments of good and bad. As long as we are in a completely apathetic state without any emotions whatsoever, then nothing can truly be good or bad to us. Lastly, the intrinsic profoundness and intensity level of your emotional states dictates the level of perceived value in your life. If you are, for example, extremely excited and joyful, then you would be perceiving the greatest amount of good value and worth in your life. Likewise, if you were in the most miserable and hopeless state of your life, then you would be perceiving the worst hell and value of your life.

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby digress » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:45 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
digress wrote:Whatever Zeuzz did was within the realm of Zeuzz, not this board. If he posted tomorrow I would not slander him as being as dumb as a zombie.
[color=#000080] He's dead. He is not going to post tomorrow. I told you that.


Idk why you are [b]olding your text. And I went on to say that the reason I stated that was because it didn't matter who was behind the post. So if Zuezz posted tomorrow, and I'm to assume Zuezz's account had been abducted, it would not matter in the slightest in regards to the content. I'd read and reply all the same. Im sorry you missed that point.

I also have no way of verifying your information. To take it on your authority would be foolish and, for the sake of discussion, pointless.
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:06 am

digress, Matthew posted this link for you: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22001&start=1920#p557991

Pyrrho also locked the user account: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=22805&p=578977#p578977
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby digress » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:34 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:Omniverse, this is where you and I must agree to disagree...and where I agree with Digress. Let's put all three of us in the same traffic jam and see what happens.

Digress has already described her method for dealing with a situation most people would find frustrating and stressful. That is to say, she made a conscious decision to enjoy the inevitable by changing her perception of the event. Instead of perceiving the traffic jam as a frustrating and stressful event, she chose to perceive it as a zen moment, a time for mindfully enjoying sensory perceptions without judgment, being alone with her thoughts in an environment she chose to perceive as relaxed. Once she made that decision, it was no longer important to rush, because the situation was enjoyable. Digress was not merely making a value judgment about her emotional state; she had bootstrapped herself into said emotional state. Therefore, it was intrinsic.


It's nice to see you agree Nikki Nyx, but I need to point out a small error based on my own misrepresentations.

You say I chose to perceive the situation as a positive rather than a negative. Sort of like the movie Waterboy when Adam Sandler's coach would perceive the overly intimidating rival coach as a cute baby in order to muster the courage to draw up the winning play. I saw the jam and perceived it as a cute little zen thing to deal with my 'inevitable situation' (as you put it). And I wish that were accurate because it would make things so easy, but this is unfortunately not what I did :(
And I apologize because I did not instruct how I became at peace during the jam. I merely jumped to it because I feared I would be unable to explain it properly and also it was not pertinent in relaying my point to Omniverse. So I refrained.

What I can tell you is this is not a continual state for me. Sometimes I'm able to capture it for 5 minutes before it goes away and other times I experience it for hours. Now, I know how it feels to be hired for a job. I know how it feels to be with family you love but haven't seen in a very long time. I've laughed. I've hurt & so on. I know these emotions all too well. It is like I said in my reply to Omniverse when I stated none of these emotions are present - as a source.

Let me digress for a second because it's important I tell you that for the longest time... the absolute longest time I thought peace was a lowering of ones energy or, another way of putting it, a dampering of ones senses. For example trying to silence the noise of life with a retreat into the wood. By removing myself from the current situation I thought I'd lowered the energy around me. Or I've dampered my senses by not allowing those experiences to enter my life (during this 'getaway into woods' example). And if peace existed I was closer then ever by doing these things. I recently found out that this is not so and I was so far away I could cry when I look back on it.

Peace is an intensity. A heightening of ones senses. It is so intense that emotion doesn't even come into the equation. Now, that's not to say that if someone cracks a joke you wont laugh. What I am saying is the source of this intensity is not based on ones perception of the situation or their emotional state of mind. One time I went into and I was thirsty so I grabbed a very cold bottle of water straight from the freezer, completely at bliss to the cold until the bottle had gone warm. I've experienced it through severe stomach pains brought on by a bad lunch and not feeling at all phased. Emotion can be present, but it has no bearing on this experience. It is such an intensity that the minute you lose it you immediately miss it. You yearn for it return very badly! That is how I knew the traffic jam was lovely. And that was the point Omniverse barfed over as I was immediately dissected, defined, rearranged, and aligned with a philosophy Omniverse was inebriated over.

I hope this helps to bring some clarity. I know this lacks instruction on what I'm talking about when I say being at peace and I'm really sorry for that...
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby digress » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:46 am

scrmbldggs wrote:digress, Matthew posted this link for you: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22001&start=1920#p557991

Pyrrho also locked the user account: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=22805&p=578977#p578977


You two keep pushing this envelope. The reason I said those things was because I was replying to Matthew taking what I had said about treating people as though they were poisoned and telling me Zuezz literally overdosed on poison. I then said that wasn't the point because even if Zuezz rose from the dead I'd still only be addressing the discussion at hand. And I was then told Zuezz is infact dead. So I reiterated that when it comes to slandering the person you lose sight of what is actually important (the post). And now you link me Zuezz's death cert.

Ok, Zuezz is dead. Now can we refrain from calling posters who post a personal philosophy, or reply with their philosophical views, as trolls and dirt bags?

and i thought MY name was digress ,_,
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:51 am

digress, you stated: "I also have no way of verifying your information."

I merely made that possible. yw
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:03 am

digress wrote:It's nice to see you agree Nikki Nyx, but I need to point out a small error based on my own misrepresentations.

(snipped for brevity)

I hope this helps to bring some clarity. I know this lacks instruction on what I'm talking about when I say being at peace and I'm really sorry for that...
I apologize for my presumption, Digress. And I agree with you that the state of mind you tag as "peace" is not easily described using the words we typically use to label emotions or articulate our judgment of the events we're experiencing. It's not found by removing yourself from the world, but by making yourself more fully part of it. My hypothetical traffic experience was not an example of "peace," merely emotion regulation.

Not that emotion regulation isn't a valuable life skill...it is. My point in mentioning it to Omniverse is that one needn't be dependent upon external things for happiness. Happiness is a choice. One can choose to be happy (or at least content) in response to events...or in spite of them.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:18 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:It's not found by removing yourself from the world, but by making yourself more fully part of it.

I might have misread, but it seems that digress said she doesn't even "do anything" but that peace just is. At times. :)
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:28 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:It's not found by removing yourself from the world, but by making yourself more fully part of it.

I might have misread, but it seems that digress said she doesn't even "do anything" but that peace just is. At times. :)
You didn't misread, Eggs. I failed to make myself clear. That statement describes my method. ;)
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby digress » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:02 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:It's not found by removing yourself from the world, but by making yourself more fully part of it.

I might have misread, but it seems that digress said she doesn't even "do anything" but that peace just is. At times. :)


I'm still a huge novice at this. I began my reply to Omniverse about the importance of humility in order to begin a fight against depression by simply bringing to surface that emotion is not necessary for oneself to be at peace. I replied in that way because of what I had read about Omniverse's p.o.v. and the emphasis he placed on emotional foresight. It was not my goal to divulge the secrets behind my findings because I'm such a rookie myself. But it is not as if I do nothing. I could share my experience leading up to my first brush with this intensity, but that's about all I could do. And it would take more typing than any reply I'm willing to type in this thread "Important notice to everyone" ... lol
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26383
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:15 am

digress wrote: Idk why you are [b]olding your text.
because you didn't read that Zeuzzz was dead the first time

digress wrote:I also have no way of verifying your information. To take it on your authority would be foolish and, for the sake of discussion, pointless.
That's why I previously linked you someone else stating the same thing and his funeral notice.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26383
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:23 am

digress wrote: Ok, Zuezz is dead. Now can we refrain from calling posters who post a personal philosophy, or reply with their philosophical views, as trolls and dirt bags?
We don't. We leave Maunus and those who are polite to write what they want.

For the trolling idiots who copy and paste the same crap here for a year under seven or so different names, and then make victory you-tubes on how they can fool skeptics.......they get different treatment.

Has it occurred to you for a microsecond that Pyrrho has banned and in some cases totally removed any history of the really bad ones......in your absence.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Confidencia » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:26 am

Omniverse wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
Omniverse wrote:Also, I think peace can only be a positive emotional state. Without emotions, then you can only be in a state that is described as neutral or living your life like a droid. The fact of the matter is, there is no intrinsic quality of peace or contentment in a state without emotions. You would just be using a value judgment in saying that you were in a state of peace. But, again, the actual intrinsic quality of your mental state possessed no peace or contentment. Peace and contentment are positive terms and since it can only be our positive emotions that possess the intrinsic positive quality, then positive emotions can be the only source of peace and contentment. Furthermore, you are attributing a good value judgment when you say that it was a lovely traffic jam. This contradicts what you said earlier in regards to how you don't care about whether something is good in your life. You said you didn't care about whether you did something good just now and that contradicts what you said after that.
Omniverse, this is where you and I must agree to disagree...and where I agree with Digress. Let's put all three of us in the same traffic jam and see what happens.

Digress has already described her method for dealing with a situation most people would find frustrating and stressful. That is to say, she made a conscious decision to enjoy the inevitable by changing her perception of the event. Instead of perceiving the traffic jam as a frustrating and stressful event, she chose to perceive it as a zen moment, a time for mindfully enjoying sensory perceptions without judgment, being alone with her thoughts in an environment she chose to perceive as relaxed. Once she made that decision, it was no longer important to rush, because the situation was enjoyable. Digress was not merely making a value judgment about her emotional state; she had bootstrapped herself into said emotional state. Therefore, it was intrinsic.

My turn. I would have also made a conscious decision to change my perception of the event, choosing to consider it as "alone time" to be spent in whatever way I wished. If I'd been alone, I probably would have selected some music to play and fully immersed myself into it, simply tuning out the traffic other than the minimal responses required to move forward. If I'd had a companion, I would have focused on conversation. In either case, the situation would have ceased being frustrating and stressful for me as well. Because instead of an endless traffic jam, my choices to spend the time in an enjoyable way would make the time pass quickly (from my viewpoint).

There is a great deal of power in consciously choosing to change your perception of the events which seem to automatically cause you negative emotions. There is also power in analyzing these automatic emotions, in asking yourself why you are feeling them...and whether you need to do so. These activities lead to emotion regulation, the state where you're no longer reliant on external things, events, ideas, and people for your positive emotions, because you're able to generate those emotions yourself, as needed.

So, what would your reaction be to the traffic jam?


Yes, I am already aware of this. I am already aware of the fact that you can choose certain thoughts and actions that can cause your brain to release those biochemicals to put you into into a positive emotional state whether that state be peace, relaxation, contentment, etc.


This is self delusion Omni, you choose nothing You are compelled to do what is necessary. It is the circumstances of every situation that denotes what is to be done not you. There is no such thing as freedom of choice this is an illusion.

Omniverse
Poster
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:09 am

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Omniverse » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:19 am

Confidencia wrote:
Omniverse wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
Omniverse wrote:Also, I think peace can only be a positive emotional state. Without emotions, then you can only be in a state that is described as neutral or living your life like a droid. The fact of the matter is, there is no intrinsic quality of peace or contentment in a state without emotions. You would just be using a value judgment in saying that you were in a state of peace. But, again, the actual intrinsic quality of your mental state possessed no peace or contentment. Peace and contentment are positive terms and since it can only be our positive emotions that possess the intrinsic positive quality, then positive emotions can be the only source of peace and contentment. Furthermore, you are attributing a good value judgment when you say that it was a lovely traffic jam. This contradicts what you said earlier in regards to how you don't care about whether something is good in your life. You said you didn't care about whether you did something good just now and that contradicts what you said after that.
Omniverse, this is where you and I must agree to disagree...and where I agree with Digress. Let's put all three of us in the same traffic jam and see what happens.

Digress has already described her method for dealing with a situation most people would find frustrating and stressful. That is to say, she made a conscious decision to enjoy the inevitable by changing her perception of the event. Instead of perceiving the traffic jam as a frustrating and stressful event, she chose to perceive it as a zen moment, a time for mindfully enjoying sensory perceptions without judgment, being alone with her thoughts in an environment she chose to perceive as relaxed. Once she made that decision, it was no longer important to rush, because the situation was enjoyable. Digress was not merely making a value judgment about her emotional state; she had bootstrapped herself into said emotional state. Therefore, it was intrinsic.

My turn. I would have also made a conscious decision to change my perception of the event, choosing to consider it as "alone time" to be spent in whatever way I wished. If I'd been alone, I probably would have selected some music to play and fully immersed myself into it, simply tuning out the traffic other than the minimal responses required to move forward. If I'd had a companion, I would have focused on conversation. In either case, the situation would have ceased being frustrating and stressful for me as well. Because instead of an endless traffic jam, my choices to spend the time in an enjoyable way would make the time pass quickly (from my viewpoint).

There is a great deal of power in consciously choosing to change your perception of the events which seem to automatically cause you negative emotions. There is also power in analyzing these automatic emotions, in asking yourself why you are feeling them...and whether you need to do so. These activities lead to emotion regulation, the state where you're no longer reliant on external things, events, ideas, and people for your positive emotions, because you're able to generate those emotions yourself, as needed.

So, what would your reaction be to the traffic jam?


Yes, I am already aware of this. I am already aware of the fact that you can choose certain thoughts and actions that can cause your brain to release those biochemicals to put you into into a positive emotional state whether that state be peace, relaxation, contentment, etc.


This is self delusion Omni, you choose nothing You are compelled to do what is necessary. It is the circumstances of every situation that denotes what is to be done not you. There is no such thing as freedom of choice this is an illusion.


If we really do have free will, then what I said is to be taken literally. However, if we don't have free will, then what I said is to be taken figuratively.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Confidencia » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:49 am

Omniverse wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Omniverse wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
Omniverse wrote:Also, I think peace can only be a positive emotional state. Without emotions, then you can only be in a state that is described as neutral or living your life like a droid. The fact of the matter is, there is no intrinsic quality of peace or contentment in a state without emotions. You would just be using a value judgment in saying that you were in a state of peace. But, again, the actual intrinsic quality of your mental state possessed no peace or contentment. Peace and contentment are positive terms and since it can only be our positive emotions that possess the intrinsic positive quality, then positive emotions can be the only source of peace and contentment. Furthermore, you are attributing a good value judgment when you say that it was a lovely traffic jam. This contradicts what you said earlier in regards to how you don't care about whether something is good in your life. You said you didn't care about whether you did something good just now and that contradicts what you said after that.
Omniverse, this is where you and I must agree to disagree...and where I agree with Digress. Let's put all three of us in the same traffic jam and see what happens.

Digress has already described her method for dealing with a situation most people would find frustrating and stressful. That is to say, she made a conscious decision to enjoy the inevitable by changing her perception of the event. Instead of perceiving the traffic jam as a frustrating and stressful event, she chose to perceive it as a zen moment, a time for mindfully enjoying sensory perceptions without judgment, being alone with her thoughts in an environment she chose to perceive as relaxed. Once she made that decision, it was no longer important to rush, because the situation was enjoyable. Digress was not merely making a value judgment about her emotional state; she had bootstrapped herself into said emotional state. Therefore, it was intrinsic.

My turn. I would have also made a conscious decision to change my perception of the event, choosing to consider it as "alone time" to be spent in whatever way I wished. If I'd been alone, I probably would have selected some music to play and fully immersed myself into it, simply tuning out the traffic other than the minimal responses required to move forward. If I'd had a companion, I would have focused on conversation. In either case, the situation would have ceased being frustrating and stressful for me as well. Because instead of an endless traffic jam, my choices to spend the time in an enjoyable way would make the time pass quickly (from my viewpoint).

There is a great deal of power in consciously choosing to change your perception of the events which seem to automatically cause you negative emotions. There is also power in analyzing these automatic emotions, in asking yourself why you are feeling them...and whether you need to do so. These activities lead to emotion regulation, the state where you're no longer reliant on external things, events, ideas, and people for your positive emotions, because you're able to generate those emotions yourself, as needed.

So, what would your reaction be to the traffic jam?


Yes, I am already aware of this. I am already aware of the fact that you can choose certain thoughts and actions that can cause your brain to release those biochemicals to put you into into a positive emotional state whether that state be peace, relaxation, contentment, etc.


This is self delusion Omni, you choose nothing You are compelled to do what is necessary. It is the circumstances of every situation that denotes what is to be done not you. There is no such thing as freedom of choice this is an illusion.


If we really do have free will, then what I said is to be taken literally. However, if we don't have free will, then what I said is to be taken figuratively.


Anyhow we look at it, we do so in the dream. We dream about life before death, we dream about life after death, the dream continues regardless of how we see things.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:01 pm

Omniverse wrote:
Confidencia wrote:Yes, I am already aware of this. I am already aware of the fact that you can choose certain thoughts and actions that can cause your brain to release those biochemicals to put you into into a positive emotional state whether that state be peace, relaxation, contentment, etc.
This is self delusion Omni, you choose nothing You are compelled to do what is necessary. It is the circumstances of every situation that denotes what is to be done not you. There is no such thing as freedom of choice this is an illusion.
Omniverse, I strongly suggest you ignore Confidencia. He never offers proof for his BS.

The circumstances of the situation absolutely do not dictate your emotional reaction. That may be his experience, because he's weak-willed and weak-minded. It does not have to be your experience. Neural plasticity is an established scientific fact; you can learn emotion regulation. Anyone can.

Neural plasticity is an umbrella term that describes lasting change to the brain throughout an individual's life course. The term gained prominence in the latter half of the 20th century, when new research1,2 showed that many aspects of the brain can be altered (or are "plastic") even into adulthood.3

One of the fundamental principles underlying neural plasticity is based on the idea that individual synaptic connections are constantly being removed or recreated, largely dependent upon the activity of the neurons that bear them. The activity-dependence of synaptic plasticity is captured in the aphorism which is often used to summarize Hebbian theory: "neurons that fire together, wire together"/"neurons that fire out of sync, fail to link". If two nearby neurons often produce an impulse in close temporal proximity, their functional properties may converge. Conversely, neurons that are not regularly activated simultaneously may be less likely to functionally converge.


1 Livingston R.B. (1966). "Brain mechanisms in conditioning and learning". Neurosciences Research Program Bulletin.
2 Bennett EL, Diamond MC, Krech D, Rosenzweig MR (1964). "Chemical and Anatomical Plasticity of the Brain". Science.
3 Rakic, P. (January 2002). "Neurogenesis in adult primate neocortex: an evaluation of the evidence". Nature Reviews Neuroscience.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Confidencia » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:22 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Omniverse wrote:
Confidencia wrote:Yes, I am already aware of this. I am already aware of the fact that you can choose certain thoughts and actions that can cause your brain to release those biochemicals to put you into into a positive emotional state whether that state be peace, relaxation, contentment, etc.
This is self delusion Omni, you choose nothing You are compelled to do what is necessary. It is the circumstances of every situation that denotes what is to be done not you. There is no such thing as freedom of choice this is an illusion.
Omniverse, I strongly suggest you ignore Confidencia. He never offers proof for his BS.

The circumstances of the situation absolutely do not dictate your emotional reaction.


Who said they did?

That may be his experience, because he's weak-willed and weak-minded.


You are suppose to be ignoring me. Who did you say was weak?

It does not have to be your experience. Neural plasticity is an established scientific fact; you can learn emotion regulation. Anyone can.


"You can learn emotion regulation." :shock:

You fail to realise whatever you suppress will come out in some other way or another, this is basic psychology. Your emotions are learned, you are not born with them. Whatever you learn will always be in response to your environment, whether this happens intentionally or inadvertently. However I fail to see what this has to do with my original post to Omni, it makes no difference to the fact that each situation is governed by its circumstances.

Learn to read to understand, and you will not get your nyx in a twist.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29114
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Gord » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:23 pm

Confidencia wrote:You fail to realise whatever you suppress will come out in some other way or another, this is basic psychology.

That's a myth. Analogy time! Emotions are not like sips of water that build up inside you until you pee; they are like weather events that pass over and then are gone.

Your emotions are learned, you are not born with them.

Not completely true. Emotions are inbuilt. You cannot experience an emotion that is not inherent to your nature. What you can do, however, is learn how to adapt to them, to downplay them or to intensify them.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE


Return to “Belief, Nonbelief, and Philosophy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest