Are the claims of cultural relativism valid on science?

God, the FSM, and everything else.
Blackfrost

Are the claims of cultural relativism valid on science?

Postby Blackfrost » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:33 am

Hello,

When I was younger I used to hear a lot of people in my culture stating how they don't need science because they have their own cultural knowledge and I didn't used to to think much of this until I came across an entire philosophy based around it which made claims that there are multiple 'truths' that can apply to a group of people such as a culture and that everything that humans do are so politically influenced that things like the speed of light is arbitrary as are genes. While spreading critical thinking and science is racist because it does not value the 'knowledge' of other cultures such as the Chinese's chi. If you do want evidence and science based research you may be told that you have been indoctrinated by the 'western narrative' and are delusional because science came from white people and they're spreading it when it should stay with white people. This philosophy was of course cultural relativism.

I was wondering how valid are these claims from cultural relativism? That 'knowledge' is interpreted and socially constructed so you cannot say that there is an objective truth as with science. So an example being if a culture believes that the earth is flat like young earth creationists then it is flat for them.

One counter example I've thought of is crime investigation. A culture can say that the black man committed murder based on their biases and limited evidence when further investigation through science has deemed him not to be the culprit. Therefore an entire culture can be wrong.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: Are the claims of cultural relativism valid on science?

Postby Poodle » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:02 pm

The Earth is not flat for ANYONE. It is the height of conceited idiocy to imagine that simple denial can alter the universe on a local scale. Consider where a lot of our science came from - when Europe was undergoing the ignorance of the Dark Ages, the Middle East was pushing aside superstition and getting on with reality.
Here's a bit of your own post ..."Therefore an entire culture can be wrong." I couldn't agree more with that bit - but I think we may be talking about different sets of people.

Added: genes, like the speed of light, are not arbitrary.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:08 pm

You are confusing "culture" with science. The first is relative, the second is absolute. Both understood as best as can be.

Edit: I see in review you make the same point with the Title of your OP. Amusing you have the answer to begin with and then post an essay as if you don't?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:22 pm

Some concepts do change with culture, such as justice. The error is including science in the relativism part. The laws of physics don't give a {!#%@} what your beliefs are.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Dimebag
Regular Poster

Postby Dimebag » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:21 pm

Science allows that, if you have the correct method, apparatus for collecting measurements, then you too can observe said phenomenon and perform your own statistical analysis to confirm the phenomenon in question, which does not depend on what culture you are from.

Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster

Postby Cadmusteeth » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:33 pm

Yes indeed

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:00 am

Blackfrost wrote:While spreading critical thinking and science is racist because it does not value the 'knowledge' of other cultures such as the Chinese's chi. If you do want evidence and science based research you may be told that you have been indoctrinated by the 'western narrative' and are delusional because science came from white people and they're spreading it when it should stay with white people.
"Science came from white people" is a view propagated by racist, ignorant people, a group to whom I shall give the acronym RIP in hope that their ability to suspend disbelief will cause some sort of voodoo-esque sympathetic magic to increase the speed at which Darwinism works. ;) This is the placebo effect in action, but it'll only work if they know they're being called RIP.

White RIP propagate this view because they believe that only white people invent and discover valuable things and knowledge. (At the same time, large numbers of white people excoriate scientific knowledge in favor of their nonsensical beliefs.) Non-white RIP propagate it because science easily disproves their cultural mumbo-jumbo. However, while white people have certainly made contributions, "science" is certainly not the purview solely of white people and, in many areas, white people were not its originators.

It doesn't matter what your cultural perspective is, gravity exists for you whether you believe in it or not. And if your cultural "knowledge" cannot withstand scientific examination, then it's nonsense.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Postby digress » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:26 am

Blackfrost wrote:Hello,

When I was younger I used to hear a lot of people in my culture stating how they don't need science because they have their own cultural knowledge and I didn't used to to think much of this until I came across an entire philosophy based around it which made claims that there are multiple 'truths' that can apply to a group of people such as a culture and that everything that humans do are so politically influenced that things like the speed of light is arbitrary as are genes. While spreading critical thinking and science is racist because it does not value the 'knowledge' of other cultures such as the Chinese's chi. If you do want evidence and science based research you may be told that you have been indoctrinated by the 'western narrative' and are delusional because science came from white people and they're spreading it when it should stay with white people. This philosophy was of course cultural relativism.

I was wondering how valid are these claims from cultural relativism? That 'knowledge' is interpreted and socially constructed so you cannot say that there is an objective truth as with science. So an example being if a culture believes that the earth is flat like young earth creationists then it is flat for them.

One counter example I've thought of is crime investigation. A culture can say that the black man committed murder based on their biases and limited evidence when further investigation through science has deemed him not to be the culprit. Therefore an entire culture can be wrong.

If you think science was invented by white people or is spread only in "white culture" then you are severely mistaken.
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:43 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:You are confusing "culture" with science. The first is relative, the second is absolute.

They are both relative. Science does not know absolutely everything.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:04 am

Sure it does. People simply don't know everything what the thing we call the sciences "know" (are). (To which I'd like to add, where digress wrote "science was invented", maybe it should read "science was discovered".)

Lard, save me from your followers.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:01 am

Confidencia wrote: They are both relative. Science does not know absolutely everything.

By "Science" you mean application of the scientific method. The scientific method is a universal and systematic way of eliminating falsified hypotheses and assessing the best hypothesis that fits the question being reviewed. It is dynamic and improves in its assessment, with each better hypothesis.

The scientific method has given us computers, communications, medicine, and technology.

In contrast, your non-dualism religion has never brought one benefit to humanity.

You are just confused and jealous again.
:D

List the benefits your contradictory non-dualism fuzzy religion has brought us? :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:08 am

Blackfrost wrote:......While spreading critical thinking and science is racist because it does not value the 'knowledge' of other cultures.
The Cambodian culture imposed by Pol Pot saw the execution of educated people and those who simply wore glasses (because they looked educated) . How would your alternative system objectively advance science in any manner if it had to change its approach for every variation of human culture?

Blackfrost wrote:One counter example I've thought of is crime investigation.
Criminal codes are subjective to the culture in which they arise. A criminal code is set out by legislation. Science is determined by objective experimentation and can be repeated universally, across all cultures. .

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:32 am

:hmm: I think s/he meant forensics?

Lard, save me from your followers.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:19 am

scrmbldggs wrote::hmm: I think s/he meant forensics?
Fair enough. I thought she was including cultural things like "hearsay" or "no self incrimination".

It's a hard one because although forensic evidence may be black and white, getting into court may be an unrelated set of unique cultural issues.

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:30 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Sure it does. People simply don't know everything what the thing we call the sciences "know" (are). (To which I'd like to add, where digress wrote "science was invented", maybe it should read "science was discovered".)

This explains why you and like minded others have a sort of retarded outlook in regards to the bigger picture.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:46 am

Confidencia wrote: This explains why you and like minded others have a sort of retarded outlook in regards to the bigger picture.
You don't have an outline of a bigger picture remember?

Remember you and your fellow non-dualism idiot, Placid, state that everyone creates their own individual realities.

You forgot your own trolling religious bull-shit again. Try writing a script for yourself next time and stick to it.

:lol:

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:32 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Sure it does. People simply don't know everything what the thing we call the sciences "know" (are). (To which I'd like to add, where digress wrote "science was invented", maybe it should read "science was discovered".)

The scientific method is a tool, so 'discovered' or 'invented' are both valid.

How a scientific discovery or law might be used may be subject to cultural relativism, but the underlying science is not. People who claim science is subject to CR are proclaiming their ignorance, not their acumen.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Return to “Belief, Nonbelief, and Philosophy”